Final Decision Thread

Is the brief period of "Oh my god, I'm leaving my decently-paying, real-person job to potentially never have another of the sort again" a normal step in this process? (Speaking as one who's only had about 24 hours to process her acceptance, during which I've been ill to boot. Blah!) All of which then fights with, "I WILL follow my dreams [arms outstretched]!"

It's also amazing how quickly my every thought went from, "If I only get in, everything will be perfect" to "Ughhh...I have a lot of books and clothes to move..."

Conflicts I am willing to have, though :)

I'll be heading off to Brandeis. I actually made the decision awhile ago but am only just now starting to get used to it.

Well, not really.

Congrats! Brandeis has a great program -- good for you. What do you mean when you say you're only just now getting used to it? Disappointed with other results? Whatever it is, I hope you love Brandeis -- I hear it's wonderful in spite of its small size.

The Graduate Center, City University of New York, PhD in English.

Sub-field(s): African-American Literature, Queer Studies, 20th Century, and Literature and the Environment.

B) <----- Sunglasses to hide joyous tears, crazy excitement, and thrill of finally being finished with this process. See you all on the job search in 5-7 years!

BOOM.

Congrats, Trip.

Boom, indeed; the hammer has been thrown down! Thanks, ComeBackZinc.

Yay, Trip! Did you officially hear from Slutgers? Congrats on a successful app season!

I did indeed; two people short of glory, but you know what? It is all. good. Now that I'm decided, I'm ecstatic to get started at CUNY.

Sub-field(s): African-American Literature, Queer Studies, 20th Century, and Literature and the Environment.

B) <----- Sunglasses to hide joyous tears, crazy excitement, and thrill of finally being finished with this process. See you all on the job search in 5-7 years!

Congrats Trip! For me, it felt so, so good to finally know where I'd be going and to be able to start making plans for that.

I didn't know about your lit and environment interests; I share some of those, so perhaps I'll be seeing you at some conferences in the future!

Congrats, bud! So awesome that everything is falling into place for folks.

Congrats Trip! For me, it felt so, so good to finally know where I'd be going and to be able to start making plans for that.

I didn't know about your lit and environment interests; I share some of those, so perhaps I'll be seeing you at some conferences in the future!

Haha, I have WAY too many interests, but it's sort of consolidating to Queer Black Studies/Lit slowly. Did you apply to Davis? I applied there, but I think I'm out of my depth these days when it comes to lit and the environment. It's been a while now since I've done something pertaining to that field. Still, maybe I'll see you at an ASLE function!

Congrats, bud! So awesome that everything is falling into place for folks.

Likewise, buddy. Let me know if you take a course at the GC; I'd be happy to give advice.

Yay Trip! Good for you.You're gonna do amazing - this was an option where you got to live with your SO right? Congrats on that too! Everytime someone on this board successfully navigates that issue for another 5 years get a little more hopeful :P

Yay Trip! Good for you.You're gonna do amazing - this was an option where you got to live with your SO right? Congrats on that too! Everytime someone on this board successfully navigates that issue for another 5 years get a little more hopeful :P

Yes, indeed! We could've made other options work, but this was the ideal one for a healthy relationship; we've been living together for 2.5 years now and having to live apart would've been sort of a shitty step backward. I feel for anyone who has to deal with that; considering how crazy this process is, I can't believe how fortunate I was to get into an awesome program in such a convenient location. Now I don't have to worry again until the job search. :P

Edited by TripWillis