Welcome to the 2012-2013 cycle

Columbia acceptance up!! Very early!

Sorry, but I don't believe this at all and everyone waiting on Columbia should take a deep breath. Columbia's classes don't even start until tomorrow, which means a lot of the faculty haven't been on campus since the middle of December. There is literally no chance that the admissions committee has had more than a very preliminary meeting yet, and no way they had time to review the ~500 applications they get each year. Also, Columbia admissions offers come through GSAS and not the department, so any offer they are going to make has to clear an extra level of bureaucracy before it goes out

In general, it's best to take the results board with a grain of salt unless a somewhat trustworthy poster claims the result here.

Specific to Columbia, Max breaks it down well. It looks like the bulk of acceptances last year were late February and the reasons for this timing have not changed much.

Ok so I am very confused on how to check application status!!! :/

I checked one application...and it says "Decision Made" - 1/16/2013.....and I go to the online application and it says Admission Type :______________ with nothing filled in...so I dont know whats up with that..

Then on another application it says the same thing, except it says Admission Type: Standard

What does this mean! Its 1.17am, and I was just about to go to sleep...DARN IT

Sorry, but I don't believe this at all and everyone waiting on Columbia should take a deep breath. Columbia's classes don't even start until tomorrow, which means a lot of the faculty haven't been on campus since the middle of December. There is literally no chance that the admissions committee has had more than a very preliminary meeting yet, and no way they had time to review the ~500 applications they get each year. Also, Columbia admissions offers come through GSAS and not the department, so any offer they are going to make has to clear an extra level of bureaucracy before it goes out

+1

I really hope you're right. Didn't hear anything from Columbia or UCSD :/

Yeah my thoughts were along similar lines, but thanks for the more detailed breakdown. I was very suspicious, and then the second acceptance popped up, which made me give it more thought. I would think you are right however, seems far too early.

Didn't you guys just receive a mail telling you it will take them weeks to figure out the GRE scores stuff? Why should they do that and send out acceptance letters a few days later?! Don’t feed the trolls. They got enough food from us last year :P

Didn't you guys just receive a mail telling you it will take them weeks to figure out the GRE scores stuff? Why should they do that and send out acceptance letters a few days later?! Don’t feed the trolls. They got enough food from us last year :P

Yeah someone did get that email not so long ago, and a couple of us didn't. I've just checked my application on the website, no change and the GREs unmatched with my application on the system still.

I'm hearing conflicting things concerning the Columbia acceptance....are they really up this early? Seems a bit odd, did anyone got Columbia acceptance already?

No-one has claimed it, and as you'll read in the posts above, their veracity has been questioned. Seems too early.

Also, congrats to the new Illinois recipient :)

Edited by Tupamaros

Max is probably right; random unverified information is just that. But it doesn't seem impossible at all that Columbia admitted a few people way early in the process. Every year there have to be a few clear superstars, who every school knows will get admitted by every school, and maybe Columbia sends an early admit to them so they can have time to make the sell against Harvard or whatever. If I were Columbia, I'd do that. Med schools and Law schools operate the same way, although they also compete by throwing money at people.

I don't know about you guys, but the time in between due dates and having to make a decision has so far been just awesome. I have abundant free time and, for the first time since I was a child, no outstanding obligations or projects. Between now and grad school I'm going to live it up. I hope you all do too!

Max is probably right; random unverified information is just that. But it doesn't seem impossible at all that Columbia admitted a few people way early in the process. Every year there have to be a few clear superstars, who every school knows will get admitted by every school, and maybe Columbia sends an early admit to them so they can have time to make the sell against Harvard or whatever. If I were Columbia, I'd do that. Med schools and Law schools operate the same way, although they also compete by throwing money at people.

I don't know about you guys, but the time in between due dates and having to make a decision has so far been just awesome. I have abundant free time and, for the first time since I was a child, no outstanding obligations or projects. Between now and grad school I'm going to live it up. I hope you all do too!

Every year someone makes this argument, but it just doesn't empirically appear to be the case. Most schools admit everyone at once, and those that don't tend to stagger things in a somewhat random fashion.

Is anyone else having sleepless nights? The more I think about it, the more I believe I'm not gonna get any acceptances. Eek! 

Sleepless, I dont know...Checking emails hoping for a POI email. Yes. I am more concerned that I may not get into a school where I wont have a chance of getting a good job more than anything.

Is anyone else having sleepless nights? The more I think about it, the more I believe I'm not gonna get any acceptances. Eek! 

Me.  I'm big mess of nerves right now.   I snap awake every time the e-mail alert goes off on my phone in the middle of the night, hoping for good news and not junk from Travelzoo, Netflix, or Chase.  Then I lay there and dwell for a while and then drift off again until the next e-mail.  Obviously the logical thing would be to silence my phone alerts, but I'd probably wake up just as often just to check to see if I received any e-mails.

For the time being, I can at least find comfort in the fact that none of my schools have shown up on the results board yet. 

Edited by Quigley

Me.  I'm big mess of nerves right now.   I snap awake every time the e-mail alert goes off on my phone in the middle of the night, hoping for good news and not junk from Travelzoo, Netflix, or Chase.  Then I lay there and dwell for a while and then drift off again until the next e-mail.  Obviously the logical thing would be to silence my phone alerts, but I'd probably wake up just as often just to check to see if I received any e-mails.

For the time being, I can at least find comfort in the fact that none of my schools have shown up on the results board yet. 

Sounds like you need to just turn off the phone.

Sounds like you need to just turn off the phone.

I second that..I think a late night check and an early morning check would be a more than sufficient course of action..The odds of getting an email between 12am -9am are slim (though it does happen every once in a while).

I second that..I think a late night check and an early morning check would be a more than sufficient course of action..The odds of getting an email between 12am -9am are slim (though it does happen every once in a while).

I know, I know. I'm not saying it was rational. I'll turn it off tonight, avoid caffeine, and try to get a decent night sleep for once. 

I know, I know. I'm not saying it was rational. I'll turn it off tonight, avoid caffeine, and try to get a decent night sleep for once. 

See... this is why in a week from now I am going to Thailand for 16 days: no cell phone, no internet - no stress. Just palm trees, beach and cocktails. There will still be enough time to panic when I come home and there is no acceptance letter in my mailbox!

See... this is why in a week from now I am going to Thailand for 16 days: no cell phone, no internet - no stress. Just palm trees, beach and cocktails. There will still be enough time to panic when I come home and there is no acceptance letter in my mailbox!

Ooooooh. Jealous!  Have one for me while you're there.

Giving up gradcafe for over 2 weeks at this time, you cray! :lol:

I'm out of the country (with phone/internet access, though I'll be very busy and hopefully will resist internets) early Feb for a bit, this will  alleviate the stress somewhat that comes with relative inertia.

Giving up gradcafe for over 2 weeks at this time, you cray! :lol:

I'm out of the country (with phone/internet access, though I'll be very busy and hopefully will resist internets) early Feb for a bit, this will  alleviate the stress somewhat that comes with relative inertia.

Yeah, after many sleepless nights last year I decided to force myself to relax a bit this year.

Ooooooh. Jealous!  Have one for me while you're there.

I'll have a cocktail for everyone on this forum (by the end of this vacation I'll probably have to go to rehab)  B)

But seriously: I was so stressed out last year and ended up being rejected everywhere. That's life! Checking GradCafe 100X per day didn't get my into grad school. Being rejected sucks but I ended up in a really cool research position... you always have to see the positive side of a negative experience. This year, I also made a list with things I am looking forward to if I get rejected again (getting a new big apartment, getting a dog...).

I really recommend that you guys don't worry too much. Most of us will get their decisions in two to three weeks - no need to check your mailbox every ten minutes. There is nothing you can do at this point.

I wish everyone good luck with their applications!! May you all get into the program of your dreams!