Welcome to the 2012-2013 cycle

Congrats to the new admits!

BTW, the DGS for the polisci department at UIowa just emailed me and asked if I have time this week to talk briefly about my research interests and their program. I am an international applicant and according to the results on Gradcafe, it seems that Americans got their admissions via phone. So I really don't know what does this request of interview mean  :huh:  Do I take one step further to the acceptance?

It can only be a good thing.

Congrats to the new admits!

BTW, the DGS for the polisci department at UIowa just emailed me and asked if I have time this week to talk briefly about my research interests and their program. I am an international applicant and according to the results on Gradcafe, it seems that Americans got their admissions via phone. So I really don't know what does this request of interview mean  :huh:  Do I take one step further to the acceptance?

That seems the likely conclusion. The DGS might also wish to speak with you potential fellowship opportunities. As I understand it, an interview (either formal or informal) can preceed departmental recommendation. :)

Congratulations to those who heard great news the past few days! Interesting to hear so much good news this early. No sad stories yet. We are off to a good start it seems  :D

As for those who are on their second try, I believe some of you posted durring the last cycle, from which I spent my winter break reading. It warms me to know you have succeeded this year.

Good Evening Ladies and Gentlemen,

Firstly, I want to congratulate those individuals who have received good news. I am sure you all will become great scholars and academics in your own time. Secondly, for those who have not heard good news yet all I can is draw strength from those around you. As someone who did not gain admission anywhere last cycle, and still have not found a means of employment since graduating back in May, I know how these cycles can be taxing on our physical, mental, and emotional capacities. The best you can do is too be happy for those around you and do not become cynical like those individuals on PSJR. 

While my advice may not be applicable to some of you I thought I would let some of you know that you are not alone during this process, and from what I saw thus far this community has been as supportive this cycle as it was for me last cycle. 

Again, I wish you all the best of luck in all your endeavors. 

-P 

Good Evening Ladies and Gentlemen,

Firstly, I want to congratulate those individuals who have received good news. I am sure you all will become great scholars and academics in your own time. Secondly, for those who have not heard good news yet all I can is draw strength from those around you. As someone who did not gain admission anywhere last cycle, and still have not found a means of employment since graduating back in May, I know how these cycles can be taxing on our physical, mental, and emotional capacities. The best you can do is too be happy for those around you and do not become cynical like those individuals on PSJR. 

While my advice may not be applicable to some of you I thought I would let some of you know that you are not alone during this process, and from what I saw thus far this community has been as supportive this cycle as it was for me last cycle. 

Again, I wish you all the best of luck in all your endeavors. 

-P 

I remember reading about you in the previous threads...Hopefully this year is the year.

Sorry to hear about your employment difficulties.  I was unemployed for four months in 2011 and it was a very difficult period for me.  Hang in there.  I hope everything works out for you soon.  

Edited by Quigley

Thank you sm321.  Here is the site I had been using to check my status. I think I had to go through some registration process to set up access.  The application site you are referring to (through ApplyYourself) is the one that actually has my acceptance letter though.

https://sso.unc.edu/idp/Authn/UserPassword

I got to that page by going here: http://admissions.unc.edu/Apply/Portal.html and you will find this link:

Already submitted your application and created your UNC Guest ID? Log into MyCarolina for Applicants. Please refer to the Guest ID Registration instructions that we emailed you after you applied. Email us at unchelp@admissions.unc.edu if you would like us to re-send your instructions.

For those of you waiting on UNC -- I checked the link referenced above again and it was indeed updated with my decision information now (it wasn't when I had posted that).  So, it's probably worth registering and checking that too.  It's a little odd that there are two separate login locations but I thought I'd let you all know in case compulsively checking one UNC site wasn't enough for you :)

In the hopes of having some interesting news on this very boring day at work, I'd like to know if anyone else is applying to Pittsburgh and/or has any info about decisions there? All of the other schools I've applied to don't usually notify for weeks, so I'm currently obsessing over this Pittsburgh notification.

I applied to Pitt but have not heard anything yet. I applied for their Comparative program on the EU and IPE.

For those of you waiting on UNC -- I checked the link referenced above again and it was indeed updated with my decision information now (it wasn't when I had posted that). So, it's probably worth registering and checking that too. It's a little odd that there are two separate login locations but I thought I'd let you all know in case compulsively checking one UNC site wasn't enough for you :)

Thanks, Quigley. Two sites are always better than one!! I set mine up and it still says "decision not available." Fingers crossed that that's not a bad sign...

Have a great vacation!
Thanks! I just arrived after a very long flight. I second what people said above. It's really great to share this experience with you guys and I hope that I will have the chance to meet some of you in person. Will someone present a paper at ISA this year? I'll be there!

Thanks! I just arrived after a very long flight. I second what people said above. It's really great to share this experience with you guys and I hope that I will have the chance to meet some of you in person. Will someone present a paper at ISA this year? I'll be there!

Yes, I'll likely be there again this year.

I applied to Pitt but have not heard anything yet. I applied for their Comparative program on the EU and IPE.

We're working in the same area. I applied for CPE/IPE with a focus on Europe.

Also no news from Pitt on comp gov.

Are you focusing on Europe too?

Either way, Good luck to both of you! Hopefully we hear something soon.

Are you focusing on Europe too?

Yes, my focus is EU, Germany (with secondary interests in UK, Austria, Switzerland, Turkey), courts, integration theory (multi-level governance, federalism, constitutionalism), party systems (militant/intolerant democracy), etc. 

Good luck to you as well!

Edited by TakeMyCoffeeBlack