Welcome to the 2012-2013 cycle

Any thoughts on whether UNC has sent out there whole first list of acceptances or whether more will come in the next week or so? I spoke with a professor earlier this week and thought it went well, but didn't realize others had already been accepted.

Had you been contacted for an interview, or did you have an informal convo w/ the prof? I know someone else on here was contacted for an interview, but others (myself included) haven't heard anything yet.

Had you been contacted for an interview, or did you have an informal convo w/ the prof? I know someone else on here was contacted for an interview, but others (myself included) haven't heard anything yet.

Informal conversation, definitely not an official interview. I'd consider my status equal with someone who hasn't been contact for any interview.

Was it an automated email, or from a real person? Sounds like they're getting ready to release some info....

Automated. Probably just a reminder. The timing really got my hopes up, though.

I had a lot of professors here tell me that I was making a mistake and should wait a few years. That said, I still don't have my hopes up.

To my understanding, work experience really only helps your application to the extent it lowers the perception of your personal attrition risk.

Which points to the real reason your professors probably (and I certainly) advise waiting: it gives you perspective about your future, your career and your passion. Many people go to graduate and professional schools only to find that they don't like the work they were groomed to do. Often, a little work experience could have prevented this by providing some insight into the types of quality-of-life priotities that can and should help determine what career you want to pursue.

To my understanding, work experience really only helps your application to the extent it lowers the perception of your personal attrition risk.

Which points to the real reason your professors probably (and I certainly) advise waiting: it gives you perspective about your future, your career and your passion. Many people go to graduate and professional schools only to find that they don't like the work they were groomed to do. Often, a little work experience could have prevented this by providing some insight into the types of quality-of-life priotities that can and should help determine what career you want to pursue.

Yup, I get that. My interests are still evolving, for sure. This cycle (what I assume will be mostly rejections) has made me aware of a lot of things - my inadequacy in terms of math/stats, the fact that I'm applying from a different field etc. but also that this is the field I want to work in. So yeah, I'm hoping to at least get into a Masters program (LSE/Oxford, I'm talking to you) so I can strengthen my profile and then reapply when I can. 

Automated. Probably just a reminder. The timing really got my hopes up, though.

This sounds right to me.

What programs really are looking for, regardless of whether your GPA/GRE scores are off the charts, is that you will actually be able to last 5-6 years in a PhD program and actually graduate in the end. They will look even more favourable on you if you can convince them/show that you want to have a career in academia (at least that's my perception of most programs).

This sounds right to me.

What programs really are looking for, regardless of whether your GPA/GRE scores are off the charts, is that you will actually be able to last 5-6 years in a PhD program and actually graduate in the end. They will look even more favourable on you if you can convince them/show that you want to have a career in academia (at least that's my perception of most programs).

I'm not sure I did that though. I suppose I will know soon enough. Sigh. 

We're working in the same area. I applied for CPE/IPE with a focus on Europe.

Are you focusing on Europe too?

Either way, Good luck to both of you! Hopefully we hear something soon.

Great! I focus on Italy and Spain specifically, the eurozone crisis, and integration theory.

Great! I focus on Italy and Spain specifically, the eurozone crisis, and integration theory.

Hey I'm working on economic crises as well! My focus is on comparative regulation.

ha i logged onto a site and my heart dropped when i saw the word "Congratulations" but then I realized that I was only receiving applause for having submitted my app. THANKS FOR NOTHING APPLYOURSELF

haha, this happened to me too

Count me as one of the Emory rejects, although not as one of the angry ones. It's hard to get properly indignant when they aim for a class of 7 people a year and your research interests don't match anyone there particularly well.

Plus, it means that I don't have to convince myself (or ,importantly, the GF) that moving to Atlanta won't be all that bad.

Count me as one of the Emory rejects, although not as one of the angry ones. It's hard to get properly indignant when they aim for a class of 7 people a year and your research interests don't match anyone there particularly well.

Plus, it means that I don't have to convince myself (or ,importantly, the GF) that moving to Atlanta won't be all that bad.

My girlfriend just took a job in Boston, where we live and I study now. I'm joining in on the sweat -- hoping to stay in Boston! If not, I'm going to have a lot of persuading to do...

to clarify, it says "pending" on the intro dashboard screen, but then when you go to the page with the formatted tables (checklist for application, correspondence from deb mcfarlane, etc), it's under the "status description" column. 

Just checked Wisconsin again.  Same thing I read...

Last year, they sent out most of their accepts in one day (1/24/12) and most of their rejections on one day (2/3/12); according to a GradCafe results search.  That's right at a week and a half lag time between accepts and rejects.  Since I'm only seeing 4 accepts for this year so far, I wonder if they are doing it differently this year?  Or are people have just not been posting results?  Without knowing which then it is difficult to say, but if it is anything like last year the rejects will be coming out about Feb 6th.

Best of luck to all my potential classmates!

Last year, they sent out most of their accepts in one day (1/24/12) and most of their rejections on one day (2/3/12); according to a GradCafe results search.  That's right at a week and a half lag time between accepts and rejects.  Since I'm only seeing 4 accepts for this year so far, I wonder if they are doing it differently this year?  Or are people have just not been posting results?  Without knowing which then it is difficult to say, but if it is anything like last year the rejects will be coming out about Feb 6th.

congrats! i thought the same... seems like they may be doing it in tiers, or that they accepted way fewer gradcafe visitors.

what's your subfield?

I haven't posted before now, just never felt the need to, but if it helps anyone to see more numbers I'm in at UW-Madison and Ohio State.  I got my acceptances at the same time as other posters here.

Claiming the GMU offer....so unbelievably pumped! This is my first acceptance, making me 1 for 1....which after last year's disappointing cycle feels just great  :)

Keep the faith everyone who is still waiting - it happens!

MarketMan, big envelope, full tuition remission, TAship with the usual phd candidate salary.

Edited by Mnemonics2