Welcome to the 2012-2013 cycle

Condolances! But congrats on Ohio, that's a great school. Did you get the email this morning? Seems weird given that its still the middle of the night there!

Yeah got the email while I was in class at about 11 AM GMT...so pretty early in the US. And thanks for the congrats on OSU. I know I should be incredibly thankful about having a great option, and I am, but it still hurts to get dinged, and I (selfishly, admittedly) would like to have at least one other option for the sake of comparison.

I know that this link (Admissions Problems) has been posted on GC before but for those who missed it:

http://admissionsproblems.tumblr.com

You better read this blog (about 70 pages) instead of checking your mailbox 100 times a day!

Additionally: congrats to the new admits!!

To the person who got into Michigan with mediocre gre scores: what were your scores? There is a severe bias towards posting only the top scores on the results page. So it would be really nice to see that you can also get into a top program with mediocre scores.

Dinged at UCLA...expected as I'm not a great fit there

I haven't heard back from ANYONE at all.  Even schools that already put out rejections.  This is torture.

This has me thinking of all the possibilities:

1. Low-priority rejection

2. Waitlist

3. "No funding" (torturous rejection)

4. They all just LOL'd hard at my application and forgot what they were doing afterwards

De-lurking to say that I feel like my chances for UNC are over since I didn't get asked for an interview.  Does anyone know if they interview everyone?  :(

Don't worry yet. UNC is not done making decisions, and they don't interview everyone.

Edited by Quigley

I haven't heard back from ANYONE at all.  Even schools that already put out rejections.  This is torture.

2. Waitlist

4. They all just LOL'd hard at my application and forgot what they were doing afterwards

well if it makes you feel any better, I haven't heard from anyone except for one rejection... i'm hoping that doesn't mean I was a "High priority rejection"!!

I just really wanted to have an acceptance early on in the process to relieve some stress... but no luck... now i'm just hoping for an acceptance period -- anytime, anyplace, any delivery method!

2. Waitlist

Dude, I'm in the same boat...just want to hear something at this point. 

well if it makes you feel any better, I haven't heard from anyone except for one rejection... i'm hoping that doesn't mean I was a "High priority rejection"!!

I just really wanted to have an acceptance early on in the process to relieve some stress... but no luck... now i'm just hoping for an acceptance period -- anytime, anyplace, any delivery method!

Haven't heard from anywhere, really. I want someone to pay attention to my application!

Long time lurker here (for like... two years?). Am thrilled to claim a Michigan acceptance. Honestly, given my mediocre GRE scores I was convinced that I had no hope anywhere (had only applied to four schools to minimize the ego trauma). So glad that things worked out.

Don't lose hope, folks!!! 

This might be the most uplifting thing that I've read in a couple of days...  I really want to get into Michigan!   The rest can all send me hate mail if I get into Michigan (with funding of course, don't want to "get what I wish for" in one of those bad ways... haha).

The rest can all send me hate mail if I get into Michigan (with funding of course, don't want to "get what I wish for" in one of those bad ways... haha).

Thanks for the early morning laugh :)

Long time lurker here (for like... two years?). Am thrilled to claim a Michigan acceptance. Honestly, given my mediocre GRE scores I was convinced that I had no hope anywhere (had only applied to four schools to minimize the ego trauma). So glad that things worked out.

Don't lose hope, folks!!! 

Congratulations!!!

btw I'm enjoying all the lurkers emerging from the shadows!! welcome :)

does anyone know if there is a separate status checker for MIT? the original application website just looks like the application...

I don't know of one, but I haven't looked for one either.  I'm guessing not though... their system seemed pretty bare bones.. ex. having to cut and paste the recommendation requests and send them ourselves; and cutting and pasting the SOP into a text box rather than uploading any pdfs... could be wrong though.

Edited by PhDhopeful2013

I think there are a lot of people, myself included, that haven't heard anything official.

for people (including myself) who are getting angsty about MIT...remember that there is a snowstorm happening up here in the northeast!

Yes. And in Chicago.

And apparently in San Diego a totally unexpected run of 75 degree sunny days has converted all the freeways into roving beach parties. Total gridlock. Those miserable SOBs.

also can we take a moment to appreciate how silly and old the Massachusetts Institute of TECHNOLOGY's application site is?

haha i was writing my previous post when you posted this!! yes... i was very surprised by MIT's system

then again maybe it was developed in house so they dont have any fees associated with systems like ApplyYourself, etc...

Edited by PhDhopeful2013

does anyone know if there is a separate status checker for MIT? the original application website just looks like the application...

No, I don't think so. I'm one of those who got a call with good news yesterday and nothing on my application website has changed from when I submitted it.

also can we take a moment to appreciate how silly and old the Massachusetts Institute of TECHNOLOGY's application site is?

THIS!!

No, I don't think so. I'm one of those who got a call with good news yesterday and nothing on my application website has changed from when I submitted it.

Thanks for the info. Looking at past years, people got rejected with an email to look at the website so I thought I'd do some preemptive snooping... but I suppose i'm doomed to wait on.