Welcome to the 2012-2013 cycle

Congrats to Stanford! Absolutely my dream school, and even though it was obviously a long shot...still feeling pretty down that I didn't get the call. Barring unforeseen circumstances, looks like my decision will be pretty easy.

Congrats to all those who have received news recently - particularly to the Stanford and Cornell admits!

A question to you all: If we have not heard from Cornell, we can assume that we have been rejected, right? It seems that, historically, they admit everyone on the same day . . .

I have received nothing yet, either.  If you call and find anything out, please let me know?

Quigley et al: 

Just called Yesenia at UCLA. She said some decisions have already gone out (which we know) but that the adcom is still making decisions on the rest, and we should hear between next week and the first week of March. 

Quigley et al: 

Just called Yesenia at UCLA. She said some decisions have already gone out (which we know) but that the adcom is still making decisions on the rest, and we should hear between next week and the first week of March. 

Thank you!

Congrats to all those who have received news recently - particularly to the Stanford and Cornell admits!

A question to you all: If we have not heard from Cornell, we can assume that we have been rejected, right? It seems that, historically, they admit everyone on the same day . . .

I wouldn't assume that yet - there appear to have only been IR and CP admits so far and far too few given the traffic on this site this year. That being said, I could be totally wrong and completely influenced by wishful thinking

I'm assuming that myself... I knew from the very beginning that I'm a really bad fit for Cornell.

That said, you never know. Best of luck to you!

any news from UVa,UMD,UFL and GWU?

UVa rolling out slowly (first fellowship offers are out, but first main wave of admits and then rejections are not) and GWU likely won't release until at least next week. There is a historical slight possibility we'd hear from GWU tomorrow....but it seems unlikely.

I wouldn't assume that yet - there appear to have only been IR and CP admits so far and far too few given the traffic on this site this year. That being said, I could be totally wrong and completely influenced by wishful thinking

I like your optimism better (than my active expectation management)!

UVa rolling out slowly (first fellowship offers are out, but first main wave of admits and then rejections are not) and GWU likely won't release until at least next week. There is a historical slight possibility we'd hear from GWU tomorrow....but it seems unlikely.

thanks.

I applied without any funding request. I have my own scholarsip from my country. Waiting for those..FSU seems rejected but they haven't send anything about the decision yet..

thanks.

I applied without any funding request. I have my own scholarsip from my country. Waiting for those..FSU seems rejected but they haven't send anything about the decision yet..

Applied to each of those without funding requests? That shouldn't actually prevent them from considering you (indeed, UVa will only admit you if they can fund you), but it might stand you in pretty good stead at GWU. Funding is often an issue at the DC schools and not needing internal support could make you more attractive.

Congrats to the Stanford Folk.

Look at the bright side. You can only choose 1 school and those that Choose HYSP are going to open up all the UChicago, NYU, etc. acceptances for everyone else.

Its gona be a long ride till Tax Day

That's not entirely correct. Chicago, NYU, etc. already consider the fact that some of the people they admit will not attend. First, they do not accept some of the applicants that have a really high chance to be accepted by HYSP (why should they waste a spot for someone who will certainly not come?). Second, they consider how many people they had to admit in previous years to get the number of new students they wanted. Therefore, they have a pretty good idea of how many people they have to admit in the first place. Only if their calculations don't work out, will they take people from the waitlist.

I am just trying to help everyone stay optimistic. Its too early to be pessimistic. If you get into Stanford, Ohio State and UVA, you cant go to all of them. So therefore if you are on the waitlist at 1-2 of the institutions, then a spot will open up. Its that simple.

Just remain positive everyone.

That's not entirely correct. Chicago, NYU, etc. already consider the fact that some of the people they admit will not attend. First, they do not accept some of the applicants that have a really high chance to be accepted by HYSP (why should they waste a spot for someone who will certainly not come?). Second, they consider how many people they had to admit in previous years to get the number of new students they wanted. Therefore, they have a pretty good idea of how many people they have to admit in the first place. Only if their calculations don't work out, will they take people from the waitlist.

Did you really green arrow your own post? Lame.

This is going to be an odd question: 

I am fairly sure that many people with masters degrees (in IR, Comparative, etc.) have applied to UChicago. Hypothetically, if you are offered a position in the masters program, would you take it up?

Very legit questions. I know for sure that Chicago "recruits" people per se from their own master's program. That is to say, if you do good work, they'll ask you to apply to the PhD program with the tacit understanding that you'll get accepted. But, if you already have a master's, it's a big risk paying for another not knowing if you'll get in. 

Very legit questions. I know for sure that Chicago "recruits" people per se from their own master's program. That is to say, if you do good work, they'll ask you to apply to the PhD program with the tacit understanding that you'll get accepted. But, if you already have a master's, it's a big risk paying for another not knowing if you'll get in. 

This isn't necessarily true, at least not entirely. While they may encourage you to apply, they do not actively recruit you, nor do they make any claims that you'll be accepted. The MAPSS/CIR programs are quite large, and while they can provide an excellent leg up and give you more familiarity with the department, they are by no means a guarantee that you will be admitted . This doesn't mean that you might not stand an excellent chance at another school (generally, mapss students do really well their second time applying) but I wouldn't treat it as the golden ticket.