Welcome to the 2012-2013 cycle

What do we have hopes of coming out today beyond Yale?

What about Michigan State? I am very surprised they have not come out with decisions by now. Thought they would be one of the first I'd hear from. Anyone have some inside knowledge on them?

Eeeeeeeveryone. 

No, but I really would love UVa to finish up their first main wave of admits today. Perhaps more news on Stanford?

Also, @upam, you have had one hell of a cycle so far, if you don't mind me saying. Congrats on the spread.

Thanks so much! Definitely lucky to be happy with my options regardless of what else comes out. (And rationally, this is probably my set - just lucky to have heard good news at the outset.)

Same for me as far as Cornell and UNC go.

I'd second this for Cornell and all of the other places I haven't heard from (Texas, Berkeley, don't think I've forgotten). If I have to hear a bunch of rejections in one day, then bring it - I'd rather rip off a band-aid than slowly peel it away. 

It should be a fireworks-filled day on the results page either way, so good luck to everyone.

I'd second this for Cornell and all of the other places I haven't heard from (Texas, Berkeley, don't think I've forgotten). If I have to hear a bunch of rejections in one day, then bring it - I'd rather rip off a band-aid than slowly peel it away. 

totally agree with this...

I'd second this for Cornell and all of the other places I haven't heard from (Texas, Berkeley, don't think I've forgotten). If I have to hear a bunch of rejections in one day, then bring it - I'd rather rip off a band-aid than slowly peel it away.    It should be a fireworks-filled day on the results page either way, so good luck to everyone.
I tried calling Cornell to see if those who have not hear should assume that they have been rejected. Their graduate secretary did not answer. Maybe they are busy preparing more acceptances? :-)

I tried calling Cornell to see if those who have not hear should assume that they have been rejected. Their graduate secretary did not answer. Maybe they are busy preparing more acceptances? :-)

OK let me overanalyze this... how exactly did she not answer?  what did she say? or did the phone line go dead when you asked? :)

Edited by PhDhopeful2013

Thanks for making the call.  I'm assuming the graduate secretary didn't answer the phone, but when reading your post I had in my mind a comical scene of someone asking the question you would have posed and then just hearing silence on the other end - made me laugh a little. :)

Edited by frankentheory

Thanks for making the call.  I'm assuming the graduate secretary didn't answer the phone, but when reading your post I had in my mind an comical scene of someone asking the question you would have posed and then just hearing silence on the other end - made me laugh a little. :)

haha ok.. that's what i thought too... and it was comical.  yes I'm guessing she didn't answer the phone... makes much more sense :)  i can't wait to regain my sanity... this process is too much!!

haha ok.. that's what i thought too... and it was comical.  yes I'm guessing she didn't answer the phone... makes much more sense :)  i can't wait to regain my sanity... this process is too much!!

It is too much - I'll be glad when its all over!  :)

It is too much - I'll be glad when its all over!  :)
I can confirm that she did not answer. :-) Frankly, I could see the other scenario happening as well. I cannot help but feel great empathy for these secretaries. Who would want to deal with the likes of us every season? ;-)

Long time lurker here. I called Chicago this morning and Kathy Anderson answered. I didn't ask about an individual application, as previous posts indicated that this information was not available. But she cheerfully told me that there were STILL answers coming out "this week" and "a few as late as next week."

Obviously a new and untested member, but I thought I'd try to keep hope alive nonetheless. 

Long time lurker here. I called Chicago this morning and Kathy Anderson answered. I didn't ask about an individual application, as previous posts indicated that this information was not available. But she cheerfully told me that there were STILL answers coming out "this week" and "a few as late as next week."

Obviously a new and untested member, but I thought I'd try to keep hope alive nonetheless. 

LTL here as well--wow! Thanks for calling, but this seems hard to believe. Is there any precedent for Chicago spreading out their acceptances over this length of time? Unless of course by "answers" she just means rejections/acceptances to CIR/MAPSS. 

LTL here as well--wow! Thanks for calling, but this seems hard to believe. Is there any precedent for Chicago spreading out their acceptances over this length of time? Unless of course by "answers" she just means rejections/acceptances to CIR/MAPSS. 

Chicago seems to send a slew of rejections on one day in late Feb/early March and a series of MAPSS/CIR letters/PhD rejections the next day. I asked about acceptances and she responded that "answers" were still to be revealed this week/next. Perhaps it's wishful thinking or projection, but that didn't read straight up rejections to me. I guess it means that they're breaking from their normal routine regardless and we're just left to wonder whether that means spacing out acceptances and waitlists or throwing up rejections a couple weeks early.

Edit: Having a think about it, the actual question I asked was whether all of the acceptances had gone out yet, and her answer was no, with the additional information following. So I'd say that the pattern shift is toward the acceptance/wait list spread.

Edited by pmoomm