Welcome to the 2012-2013 cycle

So do you think that is all the good news we will be hearing from Northwestern?
I hope not... are there any international admits to Northwestern? I am an international student (though currently studying in the States) so I want to believe they have not done with announcing admits to internationals.....

Although there are few schools I've yet to hear from, I can articulate a decent reason for each that I'm rejected.  So, I'm starting to become reflective.  Decent GREs, decent grades, nothing to be ashamed of; the question looming on my horizon... knowing what I've learned this cycle, is it worth going through another cycle?  I think I made some critical errors: didn't develop POIs, haven't narrowed my subfield interests sufficiently, SoPs were all over the place, applied to several poor-fitting schools and didn't apply to several that I should have.   Getting to know you all in here a bit, I'm truly very happy for you that have been accepted!  And obviously, I feel for those who haven't been getting the news they have been hoping for. 
I feel the same. Not sure if I should just go get a masters and stop.

I feel the same. Not sure if I should just go get a masters and stop.

Hmm, this may only be my 2nd time applying to PhD programs (already hold a masters, although it is an M.Ed. rather than an MA in Political Science), if you were to seriously consider that route you might want to think of career options. An MA/MPhil/MRes/MStud/etc. in Political Science is not as marketable as other degrees such as the MPP or MPA. In the end, it should be what you want to do and, if you can see yourself studying and researching in the field because you enjoy it, you should not give up. You can and will succeed if you are determined to keep going. :)

Although there are few schools I've yet to hear from, I can articulate a decent reason for each that I'm rejected.  So, I'm starting to become reflective.  Decent GREs, decent grades, nothing to be ashamed of; the question looming on my horizon... knowing what I've learned this cycle, is it worth going through another cycle?  I think I made some critical errors: didn't develop POIs, haven't narrowed my subfield interests sufficiently, SoPs were all over the place, applied to several poor-fitting schools and didn't apply to several that I should have.  

Getting to know you all in here a bit, I'm truly very happy for you that have been accepted!  And obviously, I feel for those who haven't been getting the news they have been hoping for. 

I trust that good news awaits. All it takes is one acceptance, then you're all set!

Even if things don't work out as you'd hoped, just keep in mind that a lot of people went through multiple cycles, and were pretty successful in the end. Don't worry too much over the weekend.  :)

Hmm, this may only be my 2nd time applying to PhD programs (already hold a masters, although it is an M.Ed. rather than an MA in Political Science), if you were to seriously consider that route you might want to think of career options. An MA/MPhil/MRes/MStud/etc. in Political Science is not as marketable as other degrees such as the MPP or MPA. In the end, it should be what you want to do and, if you can see yourself studying and researching in the field because you enjoy it, you should not give up. You can and will succeed if you are determined to keep going. :)

Yup, this is what I want to do. I'm passionate about this field. I was just thinking that if I do go to a Master's program, by the time the next cycle starts I wouldn't have done much at the new school so would it make a big difference? Or maybe I should finish and then apply. Or work for a bit. At this point, I want to do as much as I can to ensure I get in when I apply next. Granted I haven't heard from a lot of schools yet so I might just get in this time. 

JHU and Northwestern?!?!?!!!!!!!??!!!!

Can anyone claim one of these (sorry if someone did already and I'm missing it, I'm just paranoid!!)?

Edited by rkmattson

Yup, this is what I want to do. I'm passionate about this field. I was just thinking that if I do go to a Master's program, by the time the next cycle starts I wouldn't have done much at the new school so would it make a big difference? Or maybe I should finish and then apply. Or work for a bit. At this point, I want to do as much as I can to ensure I get in when I apply next. Granted I haven't heard from a lot of schools yet so I might just get in this time.

If this is what you love, then don't give up! You may still hear good news before the end of this cycle! Even if you don't, just remember how much you have learned about the process this time - it will be invaluable next time. And take comfort in the fact that many many applicants go through at least two cycles before having success. This is my second time and i remember how horrible i felt striking out during the first time. But looking back, it was the best thing.... And i remember some advice I got that is very true - "you have more time than you think." Waiting two years to do an MA may seem like forever now, but it will go by in a flash and you'll be better for it. Two or three years in the grand scheme of life is really minimal... So there are my two cents! Good luck :)

Although there are few schools I've yet to hear from, I can articulate a decent reason for each that I'm rejected.  So, I'm starting to become reflective.  Decent GREs, decent grades, nothing to be ashamed of; the question looming on my horizon... knowing what I've learned this cycle, is it worth going through another cycle?  I think I made some critical errors: didn't develop POIs, haven't narrowed my subfield interests sufficiently, SoPs were all over the place, applied to several poor-fitting schools and didn't apply to several that I should have.     Getting to know you all in here a bit, I'm truly very happy for you that have been accepted!  And obviously, I feel for those who haven't been getting the news they have been hoping for. 
Same to you, Wemayet! You may still hear some good news! And even if you don't you've already identified areas to improve for next cycle, so you're already ahead of the game :)

Some great, insightful posts here on page 132...  Being passionate of about an area of study does account for a lot!  And most certainly going through this process once has openned my eyes.  I hope that those of us here that don't get an offer or don't get one we can take, will stay in touch during the next cycle... early encouragement, help drafting SoPs, getting good opinions about schools, etc... will be most helpful second time around.

Although there are few schools I've yet to hear from, I can articulate a decent reason for each that I'm rejected.  So, I'm starting to become reflective.  Decent GREs, decent grades, nothing to be ashamed of; the question looming on my horizon... knowing what I've learned this cycle, is it worth going through another cycle?  I think I made some critical errors: didn't develop POIs, haven't narrowed my subfield interests sufficiently, SoPs were all over the place, applied to several poor-fitting schools and didn't apply to several that I should have.  

Getting to know you all in here a bit, I'm truly very happy for you that have been accepted!  And obviously, I feel for those who haven't been getting the news they have been hoping for. 

I think everyone needs to keep their heads up. I just am so glad that I have options (kind of) because 3 months ago, I was going to apply for a MA and just take the loans and go for it. However, one of my LOR's said try for a PhD. And that if you dont like it, you can always trade up or leave. While I may not be applying to the top 20, I still got into decent schools and have yet to hear from the rest. And with my stats (they are NOTHING like you all), the only thing that really sets me aside is that I am a URM and I have an economics degree. Anyway what I did:

1. Search diligently for programs where you can find atleast 2 POI's. I went through number 25-100 on USNWR.

2. Email the DGS and introduce yourself to the program, share your stats, research interests and gauge how competitive you are with the program. Over 1/2 of the schools I applied for I did this. The ones i didnt..well those are the ones I am having problems with. Its like getting a job. When they get to your file, you want them to remember "Oh yea, thats the guy/girl that emailed me about the program and said his research interests were XYZ. Lets give him a close look. Its better than being a file in a stack.

*I REALLY wanted to go to Pitt. Good Poli Econ program. I emailed the DGS twice, and never got a response. so I didnt apply. Whereas I emailed another DGS at another school and was pleasantly surprised and wanted to talk in length about the program and inquire about my background

3. SOP - My SOP was short, a 1.5 pages. It was direct and to the point. I read that MD's have to limit their SOP's to a page so I felt that writing some long paper would do more harm than good because THE MORE YOU WRITE, THE MORE YOU CAN CONFUSE THE READER OR EVEN TALK YOURSELF OUT OF A SCHOOL THROUGH A LACK OF FOCUS IN WRITING.

4. Make sure your application aligns with your research interests. Your transcript, resume, etc. should become one big story to why you are applying to the program.

5. Stay in touch with your contacts through the process. Once you finish it, let them know. Touch base every so often. etc. Make them feel like you want to go to their school.

I feel like if you do this from Harvard all the way to Southern Illinois - Carbondale, it will help your admission prospects. Hopefully this helps someone. Whether this cycle or someone going back through previous cycles next yr to read it.

Some great, insightful posts here on page 132...  Being passionate of about an area of study does account for a lot!  And most certainly going through this process once has openned my eyes.  I hope that those of us here that don't get an offer or don't get one we can take, will stay in touch during the next cycle... early encouragement, help drafting SoPs, getting good opinions about schools, etc... will be most helpful second time around.

With you bro'. Having read through last years thread, was nice to recognise quite a few names here this time; some on their second cycle and others already in grad school being generous with their time to offer some advice/support.

*I REALLY wanted to go to Pitt. Good Poli Econ program. I emailed the DGS twice, and never got a response. so I didnt apply. Whereas I emailed another DGS at another school and was pleasantly surprised and wanted to talk in length about the program and inquire about my background

A point of advice for future applicants. One thing I would recommend is that you don't eliminate schools due to a lack of contact prior to applying/being admitted. While MarketMan is correct in pointing out that a pre-established relationship with faculty might be an advantage(this is likely to depend on the school and their admissions process), it certainly isn't required. At some schools the DGS may not be on the admissions committee, faculty may be overwhelmed with immediate work or on leave and so you might not hear back from them (you might be surprised how many hopeful students email before/during applying and it doesn't necessarily mean anything bad if the faculty doesn't respond), or for a multitude of other reasons early contact might not help.

(I am not saying early contact cannot help you, just that I don't think a lack of it is a good reason to eliminate applying somewhere where you otherwise would like to apply).

Edited by adaptations

A point of advice for future applicants. One thing I would recommend is that you don't eliminate schools due to a lack of contact prior to applying/being admitted. While MarketMan is correct in pointing out that a pre-established relationship with faculty might be an advantage(this is likely to depend on the school and their admissions process), it certainly isn't required. At some schools the DGS may not be on the admissions committee, faculty may be overwhelmed with immediate work or on leave and so you might not hear back from them (you might be surprised how many hopeful students email before/during applying and it doesn't necessarily mean anything bad if the faculty doesn't respond), or for a multitude of other reasons early contact might not help.

(I am not saying early contact cannot help you, just that I don't think a lack of it is a good reason to eliminate applying somewhere where you otherwise would like to apply).

What I am saying is i knew it was a stretch. And I wanted to talk to someone and after reaching out I could not find anyone to talk to and therefore I ruled out applying. Speaking with a department and your fit/qualifications will give you some indication on whether you should apply or not. Its better than reading a website. I am trying to get people to see that they should not be scared to reach out to a department. You are paying $50-$100 dollars just for someone to read your application therefore before spending that money, you should make sure that you should be applying to the school in the first place.

Edited by MarketMan257

I contacted two professors at two different universities, despite my very polite e-mail, they responded very rudely. One copied and pasted text from her personal website and the other essentially told me not to contact him anymore. After this I didn't contact anyone else. Needless to say, I got rejected from both universities (I guess it was stupid of me to apply to those places). If I have to go through another cycle I don't know if I will bother contacting anyone. What I have learned from this cycle so far is that there is no correlation between age and being professional and in conjunction with PSJR I question everything about this field. Only thing that keeps me going is my passion for my area of interest. 

I realize that professors are busy people, but even if a potential student isn't a perfect fit for your school and/or you then reject them, they may be a colleague in the future! I know I will always remember my experience and will always associate these top scholars with being rude and have lost my respect for them. 

I contacted two professors at two different universities, despite my very polite e-mail, they responded very rudely. One copied and pasted text from her personal website and the other essentially told me not to contact him anymore. After this I didn't contact anyone else. Needless to say, I got rejected from both universities (I guess it was stupid of me to apply to those places). If I have to go through another cycle I don't know if I will bother contacting anyone. What I have learned from this cycle so far is that there is no correlation between age and being professional and in conjunction with PSJR I question everything about this field. Only thing that keeps me going is my passion for my area of interest. 

I realize that professors are busy people, but even if a potential student isn't a perfect fit for your school and/or you then reject them, they may be a colleague in the future! I know I will always remember my experience and will always associate these top scholars with being rude and have lost my respect for them. 

I wouldn't let that experience poison your attitude toward the field, or to top professors generally. I contacted a very well known person in my field (who unfortunately wasn't taking on students), but despite this they wrote a long and personalised reply to me offering advice. This was all the more kind considering two of MY OWN professors during my masters completely ignored emails from me on important issues, and this guy didn't know me from Adam. So I wouldn't generalise, and although there are complete knobs out there, there are good people too. And sometimes good people give a poor response when they are snowed under with work, or are stressed. I know when I'm a Prof I'll be sure to be helpful to students, without overly indulging time-wasters.

I wouldn't let that experience poison your attitude toward the field, or to top professors generally. I contacted a very well known person in my field (who unfortunately wasn't taking on students), but despite this they wrote a long and personalised reply to me offering advice. This was all the more kind considering two of MY OWN professors during my masters completely ignored emails from me on important issues, and this guy didn't know me from Adam. So I wouldn't generalise, and although there are complete knobs out there, there are good people too. And sometimes good people give a poor response when they are snowed under with work, or are stressed. I know when I'm a Prof I'll be sure to be helpful to students, without overly indulging time-wasters.

And see, if you never would have spoken to him, you may have applied and got autodinged.

And see, if you never would have spoken to him, you may have applied and got autodinged.

Yes this is a good point. I went ahead and applied to the uni, but mentioned him 5th in my SOP, making it clear I was aware of the limited role he could play for students.

This is something I plan to do second cycle, drop POIs an email to check are they taking on people.

Another LTL/shameless free-rider deciding to join the discussion. 

I got an admit to Penn two weeks ago but haven't heard anything from them since... anyone else having this experience and is anyone else here planning to attend the visit weekend? As time continues to pass without hearing from other programs, it's becoming increasingly likely that Penn will be my pick.

Another LTL/shameless free-rider deciding to join the discussion. 

I got an admit to Penn two weeks ago but haven't heard anything from them since... anyone else having this experience and is anyone else here planning to attend the visit weekend? As time continues to pass without hearing from other programs, it's becoming increasingly likely that Penn will be my pick.

This is true for me as well. I haven't heard anything else officially about penn, although a professor did email me afterwards. I'll likely be attending the weekend!