Welcome to the 2012-2013 cycle

Hi CGMJ, I am the one rejected by Duke. Fonda says all admits and wait-listers have been notified. So I guess for all of you who are still waiting...

1 down. 5 to go.

Thanks for letting me know! Sad day for us...

So, can someone currently enrolled in a program comment on why schools that have already made all their decisions hold back on sending rejections for a few weeks? Are some taking another look? Are others just preoccupied with dealing with new admits? Curious!

So, can someone currently enrolled in a program comment on why schools that have already made all their decisions hold back on sending rejections for a few weeks? Are some taking another look? Are others just preoccupied with dealing with new admits? Curious!

My dad, who is the chair of a polisci department, says that often times these schools that do the waves of rejections are waiting to figure out if they'll be able to fund one or two more. It's also possible that they're figuring out their waitlists. UVa is the classic example: they send out three or four acceptances for the fellowship nominations and once they have the results of that and some responses form the applicants, they return to the pile to see who else they can afford funding for. I still think it's hugely inefficient to do it this way, especially since they all know about grad cafe, buuuut I guess I sorta get it...

Congrats NW theory admit!!!

I had a minor heart attack when I saw that post thinking "oh goodness, there are still spots!" but it seems they got the email on the 14th so same as others :/

My dad, who is the chair of a polisci department, says that often times these schools that do the waves of rejections are waiting to figure out if they'll be able to fund one or two more. It's also possible that they're figuring out their waitlists. UVa is the classic example: they send out three or four acceptances for the fellowship nominations and once they have the results of that and some responses form the applicants, they return to the pile to see who else they can afford funding for. I still think it's hugely inefficient to do it this way, especially since they all know about grad cafe, buuuut I guess I sorta get it...

That makes sense, although from an outside perspective it seems like they could also just add more people to the waitlist in these cases? E.g., Duke, Notre Dame and others have already notified their accepts and waitlists..if they are still figuring out how many they can fund, wouldn't this relate more to the waitlist than those who haven't yet been notified of anything (and are presumably rejected)?

Ahh the mysteries of administrative processes...

Edited by CGMJ

Congrats to NW and MSU admits! Still waiting on some reply from MSU, so I am sad. :( Still some chance since it's not the end of the month, so I'm crossing my legs, fingers, and anything else really... ^_^

I had a minor heart attack when I saw that post thinking "oh goodness, there are still spots!" but it seems they got the email on the 14th so same as others :/

I was hoping it was you who posted, but then I went back and saw it was dated for the 14th.  Fingers crossed for you!

When is Penn States' visitation? I am assuming that since I've not heard anything from them, that there's still a really slim chance that I might get an offer if enough of those who have been accepted turn theirs down (I've not seen any rejections posted for this cycle either)

When is Penn States' visitation? I am assuming that since I've not heard anything from them, that there's still a really slim chance that I might get an offer if enough of those who have been accepted turn theirs down (I've not seen any rejections posted for this cycle either)

This weekend for Penn State. But I would guess if they make more offers they could visit at another time.

Edited by upam

Massive snow storm plus rejections... stuck at home with plenty of time to contemplate my life... ugh.

:( Sorry to hear.. Snuggle up with a hot toddy and feel good movies? Fingers crossed you hear good news soon!

Right here. At least one of them. 

I have a question. You wrote on the 'results search' page that if one of the IR admits declines the offer, you would be able to get one. Does it mean that they told you your ranking on the waitlist (in your case, 1st)? FYI: I am also on the wait list.

Checking in to claim one of the UNC waitlists. [...this part is no longer applicable...]

Likely rejections everywhere else that I applied, so if one of you with a UNC admit has another offer that you'd prefer, you'd (maybe) help me avoid massive heartbreak.....

Edited- apparently there were indeed a bunch of waitlists posted at once.

Edited by anxious_one

I have a question. You wrote on the 'results search' page that if one of the IR admits declines the offer, you would be able to get one. Does it mean that they told you your ranking on the waitlist (in your case, 1st)? FYI: I am also on the wait list.

Someone else wrote that. I have no idea where I am on the list. It was not mentioned in the e-mail sent to me. 

Someone else wrote that. I have no idea where I am on the list. It was not mentioned in the e-mail sent to me. 

Oh well, thanks anyway, and GOOD luck!

Good question. I didn't get any information about my place on the waitlist.  If you were referring to my post, I was just being melodramatic and plaintive.  on the slim chance that there is someone weighing an acceptance to UNC and somewhere else that holds equal appeal.   

Good question. I didn't get any information about my place on the waitlist.  If you were referring to my post, I was just being melodramatic and plaintive.  on the slim chance that there is someone weighing an acceptance to UNC and somewhere else that holds equal appeal.   

Thanks. I was just wondering. Turns out we're all on the same boat.

Thank you all for the support and laughs through this process.  Looks like I'm a bust across the board.

I took a lot for granted, didn't develop POIs, didn't get my matches to schools ("fit") lined up very well, and perhaps worst of all I didn't sufficiently clarify my research area or subfield; coming from a Master's in another field, so many subfields and research areas sounded good to me!  Having 3.7 in MA, GRE composite of 324, and some other pluses, I figured some program would take me... but that's just not enough at this level!  Learned a lot from you all, and I have a great respect for what it takes to land a good spot ~ congratulations to those of you who pulled it off. 

I'm going to put my search results addiction to rest, but I'll check in to see where you've all gone... perhaps later this year I'll start a "round two" thread, haha.  Best of luck to you all!