Welcome to the 2012-2013 cycle

Tell me (if you or anyone else has an idea)...what is GWU's reputation when it comes to placing PhDs around the country? Its something I've been struggling to determine. The school is great sure, but would search committees elsewhere in the country look at it and dismiss it because it is a "DC doctorate?"

Well, that seems to be something that's both up for debate and changing.  I don't think the school is particularly well known for preparing academics and placing them.  At the same time, I think things are changing and getting better.  For a long time, both GWU and Georgetown had reputations as policy schools.  I'm not sure how true that is anymore, since professors in both schools have told me that they are actively working to boost their academic reputations.  Georgetown's placements are pretty impressive.

That said, if you can get into a well-known academic-focused program, I would recommend that.

Idk but this new UVa waitlist email has me worried

Ditto. P.S. I see by your signature you were accepted at New School.. can I ask how/when? It doesn't necessarily matter for me  anymore but I'm dying for this process to be over and hear word from the remaining schools I applied to..

Ditto. P.S. I see by your signature you were accepted at New School.. can I ask how/when? It doesn't necessarily matter for me  anymore but I'm dying for this process to be over and hear word from the remaining schools I applied to..

That was technically to the MA program and I got an email in December (I think - either that or early January can't remember) I had indicated that I was applying for the fall but I think they took my early submission to mean the Spring (which apparently happens often). Sorry I can't help more! 

That was technically to the MA program and I got an email in December (I think - either that or early January can't remember) I had indicated that I was applying for the fall but I think they took my early submission to mean the Spring (which apparently happens often). Sorry I can't help more! 

Oooh, so they accepted you for the Spring? Weird. I also applied to the MA. Thanks!

That's exactly what I did with Duke when I was not part of the first wave of admits, and I was just admitted to the MA program a couple of hours ago. I emailed the program director and one of the admin personnel and said something along the lines of "in the case that I am not admitted to the PhD program, would it be possible for my application to be considered for the MA program in political science?". I also included a line or two explaining why I only applied to the PhD program since that was, and still is, my ultimate goal etc. He emailed me back (program director) and said that the MA was unfunded and said that he would see about getting my application to the MA admission committee if I was still interested. I said I was, and he emailed me a few days later saying my application had been sent to the MA adcom.

At the time I made the request, I had been rejected by UCSD and Emory (after interviewing), and because most of the programs I applied to were generally ranked above Emory, I was worried I would not get into a top program. I got into UCLA a few days later, so my worries were a bit premature, but I don't think it hurts to develop back-up plans. I don't think it hurts at all. Hope this helps. I wish you the best of luck, and I really hope you get good news soon!

First, congrats on your admits!

And thank you! This definitely helped. 

I just called the program, and I found out the option was "by request." So fingers crossed I get accepted into a PhD program, but like you said, it doesn't hurt to develop back-up plans.

So it would seem that Michigan State has sent out a series of acceptances and rejections, but I have not received any news yet. Not sure where I stand there. Does anyone have any insight onto how they conduct their admission process. Do they conduct their admissions in waves? Wondering if I have any reason to think theres still a chance. Any ideas?

So it would seem that Michigan State has sent out a series of acceptances and rejections, but I have not received any news yet. Not sure where I stand there. Does anyone have any insight onto how they conduct their admission process. Do they conduct their admissions in waves? Wondering if I have any reason to think theres still a chance. Any ideas?

They stated they would contact everyone by the end of the month, so a lot of people were probably notified of status today. If you don't want to wait until (possibly) Thursday, contact the graduate program assistant Karen Battin. Her information on this page: http://polisci.msu.edu/index.php/phd-program/application-process

Also important to note: my rejection notice came from her, and I have contacted her in the past regarding applications. She is the most likely contact to obtain your application status.

Congrats to all those admitted to MSU!

Anyone still waiting to hear from UChicago?

Also, when do you think Princeton will release their decisions?

Congrats to those who got acceptances today!

I am still waiting to hear from UChicago. 

And hopefully Princeton will release soon. 

I am still waiting to hear from UChicago.

And hopefully Princeton will release soon.

Good to know that I am not the only one suffering from the lack of decision of these two schools. Good luck to us both. Edited by Master of Puppets

First, congrats on your admits!

And thank you! This definitely helped. 

I just called the program, and I found out the option was "by request." So fingers crossed I get accepted into a PhD program, but like you said, it doesn't hurt to develop back-up plans.

Thanks for the congrats! I hope that helps. I was also going to mention that I was on the verge of applying to Columbia (who accepts late applications) and NYU (whose deadline is passed but who also accepts late applications). They both offer one-year MA programs in PS that, from what I have heard, are very good. As you probably know, the problem with these programs is that they are expensive and they offer little or no funding in most cases. But I thought I would mention them anyway. Best of luck!

They stated they would contact everyone by the end of the month, so a lot of people were probably notified of status today. If you don't want to wait until (possibly) Thursday, contact the graduate program assistant Karen Battin. Her information on this page: http://polisci.msu.edu/index.php/phd-program/application-process

Also important to note: my rejection notice came from her, and I have contacted her in the past regarding applications. She is the most likely contact to obtain your application status.

Congrats to all those admitted to MSU!

Thanks for the insight. I think I can wait unti Thursday to get the final word.

Good to know that I am not the only one suffering from the lack of decision of these two schools. Good luck to us both.

Oh yes, good luck to both of us. I think someone said awhile back that Chicago had more decisions to release (probably offers for CIR/MAPSS if they're acceptances) and that it would happen this week...no idea when Princeton's going to move.

I only applied to two American M.A. programs. Today I was accepted by ASU. No mention of any funding.

The only mention of funding for the PhD program I got from ASU was that as of now they weren't sure they would have funding available, and if they did, they weren't sure how much.

A Tuesday morning request: 

If you've already been accepted to many schools and are able to cull the list a little, those of us who are in limbo (either wait listed or neither accepted nor rejected) would appreciate anyone who is able to decline offers before the 15th! Maybe you're still deciding between a couple of schools, but there is one slightly down your list that you could decline?

Someone already started a separate thread for this, I think. 

Just a thought!

A Tuesday morning request: 

If you've already been accepted to many schools and are able to cull the list a little, those of us who are in limbo (either wait listed or neither accepted nor rejected) would appreciate anyone who is able to decline offers before the 15th! Maybe you're still deciding between a couple of schools, but there is one slightly down your list that you could decline?

Someone already started a separate thread for this, I think. 

Just a thought!

I second this. I don't want to rush people if you are undecided, but if you got into 5 schools and you have narrowed it down to say 3 of them can you let the other 2 go? Also, if you were already accepted to programs and are wait listed at one that you are not so interested in maybe inform the school so they can cut down the length of their wait list? I just want to stress again that I am not saying do this if you are undecided.