Welcome to the 2012-2013 cycle

I guess it's time I finally joined this forum! Lon time lurker, and I'm playing the waiting game too. My GRE scores weren't great (Q-156, V-154, 4.0 writing), but my GPA Is okay (3.55 overall, 3.66 PoliSci). I'm wanting to study Latino political participation. I feel like I applied to a good variety of schools.

My "Wishful Thinking" list is: Ohio State, Wisconsin, UNC, Michigan

I've also applied to Iowa, Nebraska, Washington, Florida, Arizona, Arizona State

Hope to hear some good news soon! This wait is agonizing! I check the statuses every day! Good luck to everyone!

Time to join the gang for this cycle. Apps are in, now we wait.

I guess it's time I finally joined this forum! Lon time lurker, and I'm playing the waiting game too. My GRE scores weren't great (Q-156, V-154, 4.0 writing), but my GPA Is okay (3.55 overall, 3.66 PoliSci). I'm wanting to study Latino political participation. I feel like I applied to a good variety of schools.

My "Wishful Thinking" list is: Ohio State, Wisconsin, UNC, Michigan

I've also applied to Iowa, Nebraska, Washington, Florida, Arizona, Arizona State

Hope to hear some good news soon! This wait is agonizing! I check the statuses every day! Good luck to everyone!

Welcome to the team!

Hi everyone! I just made my video interview for the Cornell School for Public Affairs, so all my applications are finally in! Now I can join you! I applied to University of Chicago, George Washington, New York University, Washington University in St. Louis, Cornell, and McGill. Hang in there everyone!

Yes! Picking up a bit :) Welcome, comrades :lol:

Gopher Grad, I would say Stanford is out in under 4 weeks potentially. Most will be after that I think. End of January/early Febuary we'll be wrecks.

Yes! Picking up a bit :) Welcome, comrades :lol:

Gopher Grad, I would say Stanford is out in under 4 weeks potentially. Most will be after that I think. End of January/early Febuary we'll be wrecks.

Under 4 weeks?! Oh dear. My greatest hope was that I would get to hear some kind of good news early on (assuming I hear any good news at all) to keep the subsequent bad news from totally crushing my soul. But if Stanford comes first, that seems unlikely.  :wacko:

Man, all this talk about 4 weeks is just going to get you all geared up. It's going to be six at least, right?

Depends on your list of schools. When I applied, the first news I received was on the last day of January, but that was two years ago. It's hard to say what the timeline will be for you guys this year. Good luck!

Wow. My first news two years ago came in mid-March. But then, I got rejected everywhere!

Yes - I think not hearing anything by early- or at least mid-Feb is a bad sign....

I'm sure you'll have better luck this round!!

Edited by PhDhopeful2013

My recollection is that last year Wisconsin did an early round of admits and Michigan did everything pretty early, then it all sort of trickled out with most places being wrapped up by mid-to-late February.

I am currently helping a friend with her BA thesis (ergo therapy) and found a paragraph in a book that exactly describes what happens to me if I spend too much time on GradCafe:

(Lazarus and Folkman 1984: Stress, Appraisal, and Coping)

A person with a recently diagnose illness (i.e. grad school applications) perseveres in gathering and evaluation information, the acquisition of which contributes to uncertainty and increases anxiety. He gets trapped in a cycle of problem-focused coping (information-gathering and –evaluating) which exacerbates his emotional distress and interferes with mechanisms such as avoidance that might otherwise be used to reduce distress.

:blink:

Edited by swisschocolate

I'm super annoyed with Columbia....just like last year, they say they haven't received my official GREs, even though I had them sent to the correct place in mid-October. To make matters worse, it's been a week and their admissions office still hasn't emailed me back. I sent them a screen shot of the confirmation that ETS sent the scores. I can't decide if this is worse or better than worrying about if I'm going to get in or not. 

I'm super annoyed with Columbia....just like last year, they say they haven't received my official GREs, even though I had them sent to the correct place in mid-October. To make matters worse, it's been a week and their admissions office still hasn't emailed me back. I sent them a screen shot of the confirmation that ETS sent the scores. I can't decide if this is worse or better than worrying about if I'm going to get in or not. 

I called them the other day for this same reason and it's just that they are using a new computer system and have not been able to upload scores into the system. If you've sent them, then they have most likely received them. Seriously, I started the phone conversation saying "It doesn't seem that my GRE scores have arrived..." and he said "Don't worry about it! If you sent them, there will be no problem whatsoever."

I called them the other day for this same reason and it's just that they are using a new computer system and have not been able to upload scores into the system. If you've sent them, then they have most likely received them. Seriously, I started the phone conversation saying "It doesn't seem that my GRE scores have arrived..." and he said "Don't worry about it! If you sent them, there will be no problem whatsoever."

Thanks so much for this! I'm overseas, and haven't had the means to call them. I now feel much better, and can resume worrying about actually getting in somewhere. You, my friend, have earned my eternal gratitude. I owe you a beer.