Welcome to the 2012-2013 cycle

As a heads-up, Columbia and Rice have both sent group emails regarding visitation weekend, so I assume that all admitted applicants to each program have already been notified.

I am on the short list at Rice, as they have a ton of people apply for comparative.  The director said I have a very good chance of getting final funding, but do not want to admit me without full funding since I said I would not go without full funding.  However, I've already been accepted to other schools I prefer.  I am glad to have another good letter on my list, though!

I emailed UMD and was told: They are in the process of making decisions.  No news yet.  Thank you for your patience. 

So I guess those who have not heard from UMD including myself still have hope...

thank you!

i still havent heard anything from any school... but the dream is still alive, right?!

good luck to us all!

I seek a bit of advice from anyone that has applied to Minnesota.  My status on the "Apply Yourself" system has changed from "Awaiting Program Decision" to "Final Review".  Does anyone have any evidence / experience which might indicate whether this is a step towards acceptance or rejection?

No idea, but mine is still "awaiting program decision"... Would be nice to let this MPLS resident know...

I will say, though, for anyone considering a MN admit:

1) Winters blow. Truly.

2) Minneapolis is maybe the best city in the country for grad student living. The cost of living is lower (far lower) than any major media market I can think of. But the arts and food scenes bat way above expectations for the size, and the economy is white collar, so there are a fair number of interesting, attractive 20 and 30 somethings meandering around.

Rejected: FSU

Waiting: UFL,UVa,GWU,UMD,Binghamton

Hey finally another Binghamton person on this board. For a while I thought I was the only one applying there. Hopefully we will hear something from them soon!

Hey finally another Binghamton person on this board. For a while I thought I was the only one applying there. Hopefully we will hear something from them soon!

I applied there too

I will say, though, for anyone considering a MN admit:

1) Winters blow. Truly.

2) Minneapolis is maybe the best city in the country for grad student living. The cost of living is lower (far lower) than any major media market I can think of. But the arts and food scenes bat way above expectations for the size, and the economy is white collar, so there are a fair number of interesting, attractive 20 and 30 somethings meandering around.

I can confirm all of this. MPLS is cheap. The winters blow less and less as you suffer through more and more of them, though. 

Regarding the arts, the local music scene is pretty awesome and has plenty of cool venues, apparently we're #1 in theater seats per capita or some silly statistic, and there are also great [mostly free] museums in town. 

I'm in the comparative subfield. Don't think it was a blast email because I received it some time after someone reported an email acceptance on the results board.

and thanks!

Edited by zzzzzz

I'm in the comparative subfield. Don't think it was a blast email because I received it some time after someone reported an email acceptance on the results board.

and thanks!

Thanks for the info! And congrats again!