Fall 2013 English Lit Applicants

Anybody know what is going on with Berkeley? A ton of other schools that notified after them have unleashed their onslaught of rejections. Is there still hope?

If any school has already released their acceptances and a week has passed, it's 99% a rejection. Furthermore, Berkeley is notorious for sending out rejections really late--literally in mid-april.

If any school has already released their acceptances and a week has passed, it's 99% a rejection. Furthermore, Berkeley is notorious for sending out rejections really late--literally in mid-april.

Lots of schools do wait lists more than a week after acceptances (I got one three weeks after) but Berkeley has already done wait lists. There's an even lesser chance it is anything other than a rejection.

Oof.  Ouch, Penn.  Ouch.

It's always the pretty ones that hurt you the most.  And to add to the class, same rejection letter as last year.  No, Ralph, I don't seem to be having this luck you're confident I'll be having.

Don't know if anyone else is applying to Calstate LA. I talked to the graduate chair and he said they're looking at apps an ongoing basis. The admissions clerk said that departments need to report back admissions to the admissions office by Mar 1 so decisions will start rolling out after that.

I did some weird conflicting information but I think after Mar 1, I can start feeling a lot more anxious than I am now.

So I just happened to check the website for Georgia State and noted that the application deadline for both Lit and Comp/Rhet has been extended to March 1 (?!!!!!).  If anybody's feeling supremely unconfident and think they can get together an application by Friday, it might be worth looking into.

I don't know if I can take much more of this. 

i second USC, & i also think UCSB could be a good fit for you. Based on your writing sample, I'd target Berkeley as well

If I keep any CW programs on my list, USC will be the one that remains. I'm definitely doing Berkeley and will consider UCSB. Weirdly, I was put off by how much they seemed to be obsessed with numbers on their website. Even though, like most programs, they don't have a cut off, they did have a lot of data upfront.

ahh, gotcha. i haven't looked into UCSB's program, but a friend of mine with similar research interests to yours plans on applying there due to strong fit & a good relationship with a POI. i can see how a preoccupation with numbers could be a turnoff, although the flipside of that coin could be being so vague that applicants feel as if there's no way to even try to gauge what their chances might be. six of one, half dozen of the other i guess :)

I posted about this on a different thread, but am wondering if any of you might have applied to Chicago's program in Social Thought and if so whether you have any idea where they are in the admissions process? A number of people have posted rejections (but a fairly small number) and other than that I can find nothing. Any news/updates/unfounded speculation would be hugely appreciated!

I just got an email from Tufts that decision will be made shortly...Should I assume this as a rejection?

Well I applied to Tufts and I didn't get that email...so, better news for you perhaps?

Well, Penn's rejection letter was very nice at least :|

It was really nice! I was surprised :-)

I just got an email from Tufts that decision will be made shortly...Should I assume this as a rejection?

I got the same email...not an acceptance or wait list, so what is it if not everyone got it? The pessimist says...

Hello!

Just wanted to reach out to those of you considering Tufts and say that you should PM me with questions about the program! I'm a second-year there and vividly remember the hell of application season (was waitlisted the first try, got in the second. Tufts at least has stellar communication if you're waitlisted, I must say). I know nothing about the timing of application decisions, but I can definitely answer questions about what Tufts is like.

Don't know if anyone else is applying to Calstate LA. I talked to the graduate chair and he said they're looking at apps an ongoing basis. The admissions clerk said that departments need to report back admissions to the admissions office by Mar 1 so decisions will start rolling out after that.

I did some weird conflicting information but I think after Mar 1, I can start feeling a lot more anxious than I am now.

I have a question. I was looking at the deadlines for the cal state applications and it says that the deadline is 4/26/2013. So basically they start notifying before the deadline is passed? that is a little strange.

I have a question. I was looking at the deadlines for the cal state applications and it says that the deadline is 4/26/2013. So basically they start notifying before the deadline is passed? that is a little strange.

I'm wondering that too. That's why I said there's conflicting information.... but I guess there are early admits? Pretty sure the grad chair said that they're making ongoing decisions.

So I just happened to check the website for Georgia State and noted that the application deadline for both Lit and Comp/Rhet has been extended to March 1 (?!!!!!).  If anybody's feeling supremely unconfident and think they can get together an application by Friday, it might be worth looking into.

Been lurking the whole season, but now that I am hearing back from places and am looking for insight into programs, I thought'd I'd begin to post...

They actually contacted me in early Feb. because I had begun, but not finished, my application by the original deadline. They emailed me and let me the deadline had been extended and suggested I complete my application! I ended up doing it (it was just a matter of revising a statement of purpose for them specifically).

What does a deadline extension indicate? My partner and I (also applying to PhD programs this round) spent a while talking about all the possibilities. Not enough candidates applied? Did they receive extra funding? Are they trying to scoop up the top candidates that were feeling shaky about their chances? I know it's speculation...but it's interesting!

I have no idea.  I know last year, they didn't notify until almost the April 15 deadline, so I wonder if it's just par for the course; perhaps they have an initial deadline, then an extended deadline, and don't begin reviewing until March?  I can't imagine they'd plan it out that way; it seems awfully odd, for lack of a better word.

I have no idea.  I know last year, they didn't notify until almost the April 15 deadline, so I wonder if it's just par for the course; perhaps they have an initial deadline, then an extended deadline, and don't begin reviewing until March?  I can't imagine they'd plan it out that way; it seems awfully odd, for lack of a better word.

Interesting to be sure, and rather odd. We'll see what happens.

Regarding GSU - I applied before the deadline and am very interested in the program. A friend of mine is a phd student there currently and has a friend who works with the applications, and I asked her to ask him what is up with the extension!