The Pet Thread

mirandaw

I had two dogs throughout my master's program, during which time I was also single and lived on my own. It's very doable, but you may need to adjust your schedule to make time for the dogs. I was often on campus from ~9-5 every weekday, but I also used my lunch break to go back home and walk the dogs. I lived close to campus, so this was pretty feasible. I also worked a nice, long morning walk into my routine. Then, of course, the first thing I did when I got home was play with them (they were always so happy to see me) and give them their dinner.  One semester I had to teach an evening class (that lasted from 6-9pm, ugh), and on those days I usually made a second trip home to walk and feed them at about 5pm. They didn't like that I was gone for so long then, but they managed... the class only met once per week.

If you have a partner or a roommate, it's a lot easier. If you're stuck late on campus, for instance, you can call that person up and ask him/her to feed or walk the dogs. And if you're really busy with homework and can't be disturbed, the dogs will have someone else to play with when they're bored. But, I didn't have anyone that I could count on like that, and I managed just fine. :-) One thing that probably helped, though, was the fact that I had two dogs... which meant that they could play with each other when I wasn't home.

My advice is to wait until you're settled in your new program before you consider adopting a dog. Get a sense of your initial course schedule as well as how much time you'll be spending on campus for research. After the first semester, you'll have a good sense of this. Then, if you think you'll have the time, go for it... dogs are great fun, and for me they were the only thing that made my time at my [awful] master's program enjoyable. You'll need to factor in time to feed them, time to walk them throughout the day, and of course time to play with and pet them, but you can do it if you have good time management skills.

If you do get a dog, I'd advise getting one that is not a puppy... puppies require a lot more time because you'll need to train and supervise them in addition to feeding, walking, and playing. I don't think that I would have been able to handle that on my own while still doing everything I needed to do for my program, but perhaps you might be different. With a partner, it would probably also be much more manageable... provided that your partner likes dogs, that is. :-) Puppies also need a lot more attention and playtime, and will make sure that you know it.

One other thing to consider, though... if you have dogs, you can't just go out of town on a whim. Make sure that you have someone who can take care of the dogs if you need to go to a conference or something like that! You also can't go out on the town with your cohorts straight from work, without first stopping at home to feed and walk the dogs. If you think that you'll be spending more time on campus or going out and relatively little time at home, then a dog probably isn't the best thing for you right now.

Wow! Thanks for all the really helpful feedback. From what I gather, I won't be living too, too close to campus so it might be hard to be going back and forth like you did. I definitely will wait until second semester to see how my schedule is... but I still really can't wait!

• 1 month later...

This weirdo is Heraclitus. He's a nut, but I love him. He'll be coming with me in the fall, since I was fortunately able to find an affordable, dog-friendly apartment. He's never lived in a city, so it'll be quite the adjustment!

eSeUcFh.jpg

Those are beautiful dogs and very friendly too. I guess you'll need to buy her a rain jacket and some shoes. lol

Yes! I have a four-year-old, 100lb Bernese Mountain Dog named Darla who absolutely HATES the rain...and we're moving to Seattle this fall. Poor girl, but I guess she'll get used to it. My mother keeps trying to convince me to let her keep her while I'm in school but I can't imagine parting with her for two years...she's been my sidekick since the summer after my freshman year of undergrad.

Do you find as a grad student, you have to offload a lot of the care of your pets to your partner (if applicable)? I really, really, really want to adopt a dog once I start school but I don't want to be irresponsible and negligent because I'm not sure how busy I'll be.

I wouldn't say so. We kind of split the care 50/50 (potty times, feeding, exercise, etc.). My dog is older though and I've had her for a long time.

Some of this will depend on how much time you spend at home. I don't go to campus every day and do a  lot of work in my home office, so my dog doesn't feel neglected. It might be different for someone who has to work on campus. 

Do you find as a grad student, you have to offload a lot of the care of your pets to your partner (if applicable)? I really, really, really want to adopt a dog once I start school but I don't want to be irresponsible and negligent because I'm not sure how busy I'll be.

How much DH takes care of depends on my work load- but then he works from home so he's around a lot too. While I have my internship and class DH takes care of almost everything. When it's an easier work load I try to take care of her more- but it's grad school so that's not as often as I would like.

• 2 weeks later...

I have two cats. The apartment I want to sign only allows 1 pet, which is stupid because it encompasses dogs, cats, all the way down to frogs. I'm contemplating on training my cats to hide whenever someone walks in the front door, so I don't get busted or worse, evicted. :(

I'd have to toilet train them too... Any ideas?

I know I'm violating the contract if I do this, but shit. I don't care.

I've heard of toilet training cats and from the people that have done it, it's incredibly easy. Their advice though is to NOT teach the cat to flush.

My apartment close to Yale stipulated one pet but I unfortunately (for them, I guess?) had three (two brothers, and a kitten that I found abandoned - he had developed a pretty severe infection, though nothing antibiotics couldn't fix, but the mother had left it to die to save the litter). My two slightly older cats took this kitten in like he was a long lost friend/brother and after I nursed him back to health (antibiotics and syringe feeding as he was about three weeks old), I just couldn't stand to part with him. Anyway, my landlord came and went from my apartment doing maintenance and regularly landlord-y things and never said a word to me, despite knowing they were there. I was also a bit of a litter freak too which may have helped - their box was scooped and the waste discarded in the dumpster every night. A fellow Div. grad student came with two medium sized dogs and the landlord simply had her pay 2x the pet fee, opposite of what the contract said.

My point being, despite what contracts say, many landlords are willing to work with tenants. I got lucky whereas others had to pay 2x the fee and she'd waive the pet policy. It doesn't hurt to ask and to be persistent, let them know that you're willing to be flexible with the negotiations, you just want to bring both cats.

yea well I tried negotiating with this person on the phone about extra fees. she's pretty firm on the 1 pet policy, which makes no sense to me. If anything, two cats is better than one, because they have each other to play with. A lonely cat will shred the curtains trying to climb to the ceiling.

But I agree with you that it depends on who the landlord is, and your relationship with him/her. My previous cat was an adopted stray, and was stubborn as hell. These two kittens are 2 months old, and they learned pretty fast not to step on my keyboard, whcih is a good sign. I wonder how I'm going to train them to hide when the front door unlocks. Maybe I'll come home dressed in a unitard or something, and scare the living crap out of them every day.  :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Junior and Oreo. This was back when they were like 1 month old. They're now 3 months old. Toilet training is progressing, but has it's downfalls. Today, I saw Oreo brushing her paws inside the bathtub. Didn't realize that was her getting ready to take a shit. But when I realized it, I picked her up, literally as she was taking the shit, and put her on the toilet trainer bowl. I had two pieces of shit that didn't make it into the trainer bowl. But we'll get there...

DSCN0428_zps88f3bf29.jpgDSCN0429_zps0835896e.jpg

I have been hoping to get a kitty when I move down to school! I'm assuming they are good grad school companions because so many people have them, but I was just reading the cost of vaccinations, spay/nuetering, adoption etc. and maybe it's just because I have been stressing about my budget but it seemed like a lot. Have other people found it managable? I really want an apartment-mate

I think because my area has a cat infestation, it's been pretty easy to find a cat. I got mine on craigslist, after a couple of weeks of searching. I got these two for free at 1 month old, from a couple who were giving them away. Vaccination and neutering are a 1 time deal. Personally, I'm only going to get Junior's balls snipped to level his aggression towards Oreo when they're playing. That can be done for ~$45 at my local budget clinic. Vaccination is $17 I believe. And if you have a cat that won't be going out at night, I personally don't see the need for vaccinations.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been hoping to get a kitty when I move down to school! I'm assuming they are good grad school companions because so many people have them, but I was just reading the cost of vaccinations, spay/nuetering, adoption etc. and maybe it's just because I have been stressing about my budget but it seemed like a lot. Have other people found it managable? I really want an apartment-mate

If you go through your local animal shelter(s), they will sometime run specials in which they waive the adoption fee. As well, if you adopt an older cat, they will usually have been spayed/neutered already. Plus you're less likely to have to worry about toilet training with a slightly older cat! These were things when I adopted about a year ago. The shelter happened to be running a special on adult cats - they'd had an influx of strays come in recently, I guess. I also noticed that some of the pets were sponsored and so had had their adoption fees paid for already. If you're worried about the costs of vaccines, some vets might be wiling to do a payment plan of sorts - doesn't hurt to ask!

• 2 weeks later...

so tell me this. how much do you guys trust vets? my guess is that if anyone brings any pet to the vet, there's bound to be some ridiculous bill. I'm sure there are some vets out there that simply like to make shit up so they can make a living. I feel like a sucker every time I'm driving home from the vet.

I usually read a vet's reviews pretty hard before I go there. I feel lucky to have found a good one in Baltimore - Light Street Animal Hospital if anyone is looking for a baltimore vey. Any one have any vet recommendations for New Haven?

• 2 weeks later...

I've personally never had any issues with the vets that I've taken my pets to. However, I was also an animal & veterinary sciences major before switching to history, so I've worked with a vet in my area for a summer, and know how several local vets conduct themselves through that experience. Honestly, all the vets I know are good people who love what they do. Unless they live in a wealthy area and are a certain specialty, they really don't make a ton of money compared to other doctors. That was one of the first things our professors told us my freshman year---don't pick this profession if you want to make a killing.

That being said, make sure you research your pet and what you believe its issues are before going to the vet to avoid unnecessary testing! It saves you money if you're a well-informed and vigilant pet owner.  B)

so tell me this. how much do you guys trust vets? my guess is that if anyone brings any pet to the vet, there's bound to be some ridiculous bill. I'm sure there are some vets out there that simply like to make shit up so they can make a living. I feel like a sucker every time I'm driving home from the vet.

I trust mine. DH's best friend is a 3yr vet student- he is certainly not the type to make stuff up. Neither of the two vets my dog has seen have been that type either. The "closest" was a slightly luxating LH patella that resolved itself (which is perfectly normal and she only said to keep an eye on it). But I am an informed pet owner. I know what issues our breed often has, I know that if my dog were responsibly bred she would have been tested for these genetic issues but because we don't have her history we need to keep an eye on x,y,z, some lines that she could be part of are prone to this, this, and this and so on. When we go into the vet, more often than not we already know what the diagnoses is going to be and what meds she will be put on, we just need someone with a different degree to confirm it and write the scrip. Additionally, I competed nationally in large animal husbandry, it doesn't translate 100% to dogs but it certainly helps.

I also vetted both of my vets. One was recognized as one of the best in town (but had a serious attitude) and our current vet office is run by a former army vet who saw to the caisson horses at ANC, the USMC mascot and presidential pets- the vet we see there most often taught at the school DH's friend is at. I expect a bill that is experience + overhead + staffing + cost of actual time/tools/medication. All told an annual visit (including HW/flea pills and vaccines) + a new allergy/health issue (so new medication) runs us around 400 (this is without pet health insurance.) Considering we spent more in a month for my own health concerns, I don't consider that a ridiculous bill.

DH's friend posted this recently - http://hstdvm.wordpress.com/2012/07/02/the-thing-i-hate-about-being-a-veterinarian/