Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

I would highly suggest NOT using the same personal statement.  Whatever you've done in the year between will hopefully shape you and your concerns more than before, so it's good to rework it.  Not sure if it's necessary to say you applied twice.  I don't see how that would help your chances at all.

For what it's worth, my advisor highly suggested that I mention that I was reapplying for the second time and that I planned to reapply as many times as it would take. I think it can make a difference to whomever is reading your application to know that this is something you have put a lot of thought into, and it's not just something you are doing on a whim.

Hi everyone. We are so far into this process, which I hope has been a positive one even for those who didn't end up receiving a grant. It sure has been nice to have a community of people to share in this experience and keep morale up! So, this is only tangentially Fulb-related, but I wanted to solicit some advice from you valiant battle-tested heroes of scholarship...

I have accepted a fellowship offer for a PhD program that is good and which I like. They are fine with the idea of me postponing my enrollment in the case that I end up in China (knock on wood...and throw in knocking on metal, water, fire, and earth for good measure) this coming year, with fellowship intact. But, my wife lives in a faraway land (the South), and she and I have only ever lived together for several three or four month stints at a time even though we have been together for almost seven years. I know, it ain't normal, and some might even say it ain't raaght. So I was thinking of asking this program if I could defer for a year to spend time with her in that faraway land. She goes up for tenure this year and plans to move to my location in summer 2015, regardless of the tenure outcome.

The concern is that I would develop a reputation for flakiness right off the bat, on top of the possibility that they would say no. I was planning on selling it using a combination of personal, emotional appeal - the knowledge that time and youth are fleeting has been on my mind a lot recently - as well as giving a detailed proposal for a project which I would be working on during that time. This year they were able to make more admissions offers than ever before, but I don't know if that would have any bearing on their attitude. 

Any advice or comments you might have are now officially solicited, and I will be grateful for whatever you fine people can say. Lurkers welcome.

So, I really have no advice to give you regarding postponing your PhD, but I just thought I'd mention that I, too, am in a someone "not raaght" relationship. I've been with the same person for almost 8 years as well; people don't ask us quite as often when we will get married, but they still do. We did long distance for four years while I was in college, and I have moved around a fair amount, so I can relate. We have been living together for the past 3 years, so a lot of our friends are pretty skeptical of me moving away for a year. I'm like.. gosh darn it.. we've made it this far, why do you have to be so pessimistic?! Anyway, just thought I'd offer my solidarity, although you sound like you are much more of a pro at this than I. Your lady must be pretty special to be able to take everything so well in stride. I admit my inabilty to stay in one place for long have been a source of contention in my relationship at times.

From the great state of West Bengal but lives in the great state of Louisiana. I absolutely love spending time down there - the New Orleans life suits me just fine.

Ah, Louisiana! It was only about an hour and a half from my undergraduate university. Great for a weekend trip. I'm sure you've tried the various local beers. Do you prefer the Abita or Covington brews?

I pretty  much rewrote everything. I mean, I did use some of the same ideas that I had written about in my first attempt,  but those were mostly relating to my background and why I thought I would be a good ETA candidate. My first time applying, my essays were very shakey. I knew I wanted to go to Germany, but none of my justifications were very solid. I really thinkg getting rejected helped solidify my desire to go - and solidified my essays. The second time writing my essays was sooo much easier and I felt like I really knew what I wanted to say.

I had the same happen to me. After being rejected, I realized this wasn't just a game, this was real, something I wanted to do with my life. I think a lot of us probably get into a mode of applying for things and then having the red carpet rolled out. Fulbright was a wake up call to me, that the best things in life are being competed for by peers and equals. My main undergraduate professor helped me define a project on my first attempt and directed me towards universities in Germany that would fit the project. In looking back, I think that was part of my problem in the proposal, it wasn't my project and so I didn't know what to say.

For this attempt, I started last February hunting down an affiliate professor in Norway (I like the Germans, but I love Norway), found one in March, said "these are some ideas I have," and she said, "great, pick one and show me some preliminary research. Is this tenable?" I'd then do a little research inbetween other stuff, email her, she'd respond, critique, and advise further names to look under for research, and we'd rinse and repeat all summer. By the end, I had an amazing grasp of a topic that I picked out, an affiliate who knew me and my project fairly well (all things considered, which is a great show on NPR, btw), and a tenacity that could not be contained. I wrote and rewrote my proposal based on the various critiques that different professors offered, and my personal statement was reworked more times than I can count. And here we are, days away from finding out the results of the sweat, blood, and tears.

Nietzsche said, "Of all that is written, I love only what a man has written with his own blood." I think most of us can say these applications are written in our own blood, so here's hoping we all have Nietzsches judging our applications. I sincerely hope everyone who has congregated on these boards receives a grant. I've come to really like you guys and gals a lot over the last two weeks. I wish we could all get coffee together and chat about our woes....

Morning all! Here we are again. I am trying to read through all the discussion from the weekend. It's funny how so many folks have Louisiana connections. My husband is from Louisiana.

I hope we have a fruitful week! Come on Norway!! :) I am sending positive thoughts your way.

This discussion about what makes a good application (personal statement) would be a helpful tool for future applicants. It is difficult to find such a thing, most are pretty vague.

Feels like the calm before the storm...who's it gonna be?! Will today be Norway's big day? Anybody in Eastern Europe feeling it? Perhaps some Asian countries will pull through... And the dark horse answers from Latin America? I hope to see the board going crazy with acceptance e-mails when I check this afternoon... Rooting for everybody today! 

Wow! I am super late, hahahahaha. Is it bad that I am applying at large? I did graduate in May 2011, but my school does not have their own in-house application process. I guess regardless, I am going to this uni whether I have to take out loans or not.
I sure hope not! I believe it mattered in the first stage but not so much now.

Ah, Louisiana! It was only about an hour and a half from my undergraduate university. Great for a weekend trip. I'm sure you've tried the various local beers. Do you prefer the Abita or Covington brews?

I had the same happen to me. After being rejected, I realized this wasn't just a game, this was real, something I wanted to do with my life. I think a lot of us probably get into a mode of applying for things and then having the red carpet rolled out. Fulbright was a wake up call to me, that the best things in life are being competed for by peers and equals. My main undergraduate professor helped me define a project on my first attempt and directed me towards universities in Germany that would fit the project. In looking back, I think that was part of my problem in the proposal, it wasn't my project and so I didn't know what to say.

For this attempt, I started last February hunting down an affiliate professor in Norway (I like the Germans, but I love Norway), found one in March, said "these are some ideas I have," and she said, "great, pick one and show me some preliminary research. Is this tenable?" I'd then do a little research inbetween other stuff, email her, she'd respond, critique, and advise further names to look under for research, and we'd rinse and repeat all summer. By the end, I had an amazing grasp of a topic that I picked out, an affiliate who knew me and my project fairly well (all things considered, which is a great show on NPR, btw), and a tenacity that could not be contained. I wrote and rewrote my proposal based on the various critiques that different professors offered, and my personal statement was reworked more times than I can count. And here we are, days away from finding out the results of the sweat, blood, and tears.

Nietzsche said, "Of all that is written, I love only what a man has written with his own blood." I think most of us can say these applications are written in our own blood, so here's hoping we all have Nietzsches judging our applications. I sincerely hope everyone who has congregated on these boards receives a grant. I've come to really like you guys and gals a lot over the last two weeks. I wish we could all get coffee together and chat about our woes....

Oh damn well your application is better than mine :). I spent all my time on the proposal and kind of hastily threw together my personal statement. It's great that you have something you're passionate about, because I've found over the years you can't fake passion in these applications. So what's your project about? Edited by nainalerom

Oh damn well your application is better than mine :). I spent all my time on the proposal and kind of hastily threw together my personal statement. It's great that you have something you're passionate about, because I've found over the years you can't fake passion in these applications. So what's your project about?

An examination of the grammatical dual number (so we have singular "I, she," plural "we, they," and then the dual "we-two, they-two") in ancient Indo-European languages (specifically Greek, Old Norse, and Old English). I hypothesize that the dual was used to indicate a certain level of intimacy, sort of like how we say "They make a cute couple" and not "They make a cute relationship" (where "they" is an understood "they-two"). A prominent example is in the Iliad when the dual is used of a hero's name, but it refers to the hero and his squire (a term I use for simplicity of explanation). But the plural is also used to refer to two things, so the dual wasn't mandatory. Since it wasn't mandatory, that allows for more nuance, as my hypothesis suggests. I'm afraid I cannot think of a good example in English at the moment, but it might come to me later. Any other questions, I'm happy to explain further, but that's the gist of it.

What about you?

Morning all! Here we are again. I am trying to read through all the discussion from the weekend. It's funny how so many folks have Louisiana connections. My husband is from Louisiana.

I hope we have a fruitful week! Come on Norway!! :) I am sending positive thoughts your way.

This discussion about what makes a good application (personal statement) would be a helpful tool for future applicants. It is difficult to find such a thing, most are pretty vague.

I'd be happy to pass around my proposal or personal statement via PM. Crystal, if you have a good idea of what makes  a good personal statement, I'll let you look mine over to see how well it conforms. Anything to help out future competition, er, I mean, applicants. ; )

EDIT: Just reread my personal statement. Damn, I write good! haha

Edited by dios Achilleus

An examination of the grammatical dual number (so we have singular "I, she," plural "we, they," and then the dual "we-two, they-two") in ancient Indo-European languages (specifically Greek, Old Norse, and Old English). I hypothesize that the dual was used to indicate a certain level of intimacy, sort of like how we say "They make a cute couple" and not "They make a cute relationship" (where "they" is an understood "they-two"). A prominent example is in the Iliad when the dual is used of a hero's name, but it refers to the hero and his squire (a term I use for simplicity of explanation). But the plural is also used to refer to two things, so the dual wasn't mandatory. Since it wasn't mandatory, that allows for more nuance, as my hypothesis suggests. I'm afraid I cannot think of a good example in English at the moment, but it might come to me later. Any other questions, I'm happy to explain further, but that's the gist of it.

What about you?

Interesting! I'm hoping to study the epigenetics of the Norway spruce in relation to climate change. Basically, researchers at UMB have found that the spruce trees have epigenetic "memories" of their germination that can last up to 30 years-- almost like a duckling being imprinted with its mother's image. The tree uses the memory, in addition to other cues like photoperiod and temperature, to determine when to stop growth in the fall and start growth in the spring. Super interesting, but there are some major research problems left unanswered. As of yet, they still have almost no idea how the memory actually works on the molecular scale. I would be helping to characterize genes and other regulatory stuff (histones, miRNAs...) implicated with the memory. To a lesser extent, I might try to evaluate whether the memory would help the trees adapt to climate change, or if climate change would throw the system out of whack.

Interesting! I'm hoping to study the epigenetics of the Norway spruce in relation to climate change. Basically, researchers at UMB have found that the spruce trees have epigenetic "memories" of their germination that can last up to 30 years-- almost like a duckling being imprinted with its mother's image. The tree uses the memory, in addition to other cues like photoperiod and temperature, to determine when to stop growth in the fall and start growth in the spring. Super interesting, but there are some major research problems left unanswered. As of yet, they still have almost no idea how the memory actually works on the molecular scale. I would be helping to characterize genes and other regulatory stuff (histones, miRNAs...) implicated with the memory. To a lesser extent, I might try to evaluate whether the memory would help the trees adapt to climate change, or if climate change would throw the system out of whack.

that's sweet. out of curiosity, do you have lots of programming experience?

that's sweet. out of curiosity, do you have lots of programming experience?

Unfortunately no. I'm taking a course in Perl for bioinformatics this quarter though, so hopefully that will be a good start!

Indeed, very interesting. I did chemistry and biochemistry in a former life. Dendrology was one of the more interesting subjects that I flirted with at the time. I hope you get it, and I'd be interested in seeing what your research produces.

Honestly, I'd love to see the fruits of everyone's research. It'd be really cool if we could all share our papers/ presentations after everything is said and done.

.... I say as though I already have a grant..... gah, this waiting is killing me.

Indeed, very interesting. I did chemistry and biochemistry in a former life. Dendrology was one of the more interesting subjects that I flirted with at the time. I hope you get it, and I'd be interested in seeing what your research produces.

Honestly, I'd love to see the fruits of everyone's research. It'd be really cool if we could all share our papers/ presentations after everything is said and done.

.... I say as though I already have a grant..... gah, this waiting is killing me.

There will be opportunities for European Fulbrighters to come to the annual conference in Berlin in March and do some presenting on your work thus far. Just tossing that out there; then you all could come hang out all of the awesome German Fulbrighters! :D

but I'm sorry this wait is still going on for you all... to think that my wait felt like a lifetime, and I found out more than two weeks ago...

There will be opportunities for European Fulbrighters to come to the annual conference in Berlin in March and do some presenting on your work thus far. Just tossing that out there; then you all could come hang out all of the awesome German Fulbrighters! :D

but I'm sorry this wait is still going on for you all... to think that my wait felt like a lifetime, and I found out more than two weeks ago...

My son wants to visit Germany so badly! It's one of his dreams.

Edited by CrystalDee

My son wants to visit Germany so badly! It's one of his dreams.

I hope he can someday, either through your Fulbright or through another opportunity (perhaps both!) :) It's a wonderful place with awesome people. I personally really want to visit Estonia! I had a professor who lived there for a few years who really loved it. My mom is down to visit the Baltics with me when she comes to visit, so perhaps I can finally make a trip there in the next year.

I'm going to start measuring the wait time for announcements in Arrested Development episodes.   T-3 Arrested Development episodes until the close of business today!
I like the way you think. This will be a great May regardless of the fulbright outcome :).