Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Well, yes I do tend to overthink ...OCD may contribute to that.

It was also  somewhat obsessive to catch up on all 270 plus pages from this year's application process, but I did and got a lot of useful info. Thanks all! Very impressive... such a supportive group.

I hope you check in with us next year!

Anyway, fairly far back, an accepted candidate  asked for advice re whether they had to report recently seeing a psychologist, Apparently, the medical questionnaire asked this and the consensus was NO. No one will be able  to learn you've done so. Don't do it. It is private information. So my question stemmed from that.

But point well taken re concentrating on my application. Thanks.

As someone else mentioned, you might consider contacting Fulbright yourself, just for peace of mind. I would call rather than e-mail, since you can more easily stay anonymous if you call, and just ask point blank if this would factor into their decision. They may say yes, but they may also wave it off completely as a non-factor, assuming you have your condition under control. To some degree, this is also a concern you can put off until later -- you won't be filling out the medical form until you're accepted for the award. So, first things first, get yourself accepted :)

Congrats! Looks like I'll be seeing you in switzerland hopefully! Which university are you going to be at? Also...have you gotten any more information besides the initial email from the US Fulbright committee? I'm a little worried about finishing visa applications and such before the start date.....

macaron25, I'm going to be at Hepia (HES-GO) in Geneva. Where will you be going? I have not gotten the letter from Fulbright yet, but I did get the email confirmation from SERI. I had the same slight sense of worry about the the visa application, as I mailed it in last Friday, and it will be fine as I have the letter from SERI and the visa reviewer was happy with it. I'm more concerned about housing, and yet my host professor and University are being so supportive, I'm sure something will turn up. Did you have to write all the essays for the visa application too? I wasn't expecting to submit my resume and an essay, lol.

Quick question for you all:

Did you send thank you's to all of your LOR writers? Since moving to a different state, I would have to mail them the letters. Or would email be just as good? If I had actually received the award I would've hand-written letters and sent them for sure. But as an alternate, I'm just not sure.

Quick question for you all:

Did you send thank you's to all of your LOR writers? Since moving to a different state, I would have to mail them the letters. Or would email be just as good? If I had actually received the award I would've hand-written letters and sent them for sure. But as an alternate, I'm just not sure.

I sent email updates and thank you's to mine after I received alternate for Panama. I think that's sufficient, even for accepted positions in some situations (for example, one of my LOR is currently teaching in Spain and will be moving soon, so it's difficult to get a correct address and mail sent on time, etc). Do what you think is best for each one, and I'm sure they will appreciate it!

And let's hurry up Brazil! I prefer early June answers to late June decisions! I have to decide where I'm living, be it in Texas or abroad! :)

Still around sending you guys lots of energy.

Anyone know if there is a China Fulbright Facebook group?

Not yet, I don't think. Who's brave enough to start one? I'm already feeling anxious about going!

Not yet, I don't think. Who's brave enough to start one? I'm already feeling anxious about going!

Anxious, nervous, scared... anyone fail their medical clearance. I'm distressed because I had a pretty rough time and major surgery and my Dr decided I'm depressed, gave me pills (that I never took) and blah. I was down but I got through it with exercise and changing my behaviors at the time. :/

I GOT AN EMAIL ABOUT BRAZIL at 12:21 PM EST today!

I got an email saying congratulations on being selected and for me to participate in the virtual Pre-Departure orientation!!!

THEN guess what?!!

At 4:13 PM EST I received an email that there was an oversight in the office and no decisions are final and I will know by end of the month

WHAT DA?! if I don't get it now I am going to be ticked off!!!

Whoever sent that out probably got in trouble! lol. But that nearly gave me a heart attack!!

At the end of the email I have "You will be formally notified by this office of decisions pertaining to your candidacy as soon as we are authorized to do so."

Edited by krys315

I got an email saying congratulations on being selected and for me to participate in the virtual Pre-Departure orientation!!!

THEN guess what?!!

At 4:13 PM EST I received an email that there was an oversight in the office and no decisions are final and I will know by end of the month

Whoever sent that out probably got in trouble! lol. But that nearly gave me a heart attack!!

At the end of the email I have "You will be formally notified by this office of decisions pertaining to your candidacy as soon as we are authorized to do so."

WHAT!? that is HORRIBLE!!!!!

THEN guess what?!!

Woooooowwwww.... That sucks! I didn't get anything like that... is that a good sign for you though maybe?

Anxious, nervous, scared... anyone fail their medical clearance. I'm distressed because I had a pretty rough time and major surgery and my Dr decided I'm depressed, gave me pills (that I never took) and blah. I was down but I got through it with exercise and changing my behaviors at the time. :/

I received medical clearance last week. I have an anxiety disorder, but my doctor wrote a long paragraph about how it is under control.

I emphasize with the nervous and scared part (I don't have any abroad experience). pm me if you want to chat!

Woooooowwwww.... That sucks! I didn't get anything like that... is that a good sign for you though maybe?

YES SUCKS!!

Well i think 1 of 2 things.

#1 It was an accident sent to people who already applied from the beginning to Brazil, which would explain why you an alternate had not received anything OR

#2 They chose me but were not supposed to notify yet because they have not chosen the full 90 candidates yet

I'm 50/50 but praying for the best.

Side note, have you been to Panama?

Edited by krys315

YES SUCKS!!

Well i think 1 of 2 things.

#1 It was an accident sent to people who already applied from the beginning to Brazil, which would explain why you an alternate had not received anything OR

#2 They chose me but were not supposed to notify yet because they have not chosen the full 90 candidates yet

I'm 50/50 but praying for the best.

Side note, have you been to Panama?

Either way, hope it's good for you in the end! Yes, I was in Panama for 10 days in 2012 on a mission trip. Beautiful country and friendly people!

You know what, the more and more I think about this, the angrier I get.

You would have been a GREAT candidate. Your research proposal sounded GREAT. And I know for a fact that other Fulbright scholarships to other countries do not prioritize younger applicants. My sister was a full grantee in India about 4 years ago, and she said she knew of people who where as old as 60 who received a grant! Seriously, if you could get some kind of proof, I almost feel like you should try and sue or something, as much as I am adverse to Americans sueing for everything. It's a government funded program, so it seems like it would be really illegal for them to do that!!!

GRR.

I AM SO ANGRY ON YOUR BEHALF.

You are very sweet! I thought my research topic was competent and timely. But, they want young people because time is on their side. My mentor/letter writer (one of them) was right there with you. I am not going to make a fuss. But, I also will not waste my time applying again. Some countries don't care about age and some do. I did coach my advisor to be honest with older students about this possibility. I am so thankful for friends on the board who are so supportive.

On the flip side, I am on day 10 of my 18 day trip to Estonia. :) It's been a blast so far. I am on Saaremaa island today. This is my happy place!

You are very sweet! I thought my research topic was competent and timely. But, they want young people because time is on their side. My mentor/letter writer (one of them) was right there with you. I am not going to make a fuss. But, I also will not waste my time applying again. Some countries don't care about age and some do. I did coach my advisor to be honest with older students about this possibility. I am so thankful for friends on the board who are so supportive.

On the flip side, I am on day 10 of my 18 day trip to Estonia. :) It's been a blast so far. I am on Saaremaa island today. This is my happy place!

CrystalDee--my mom entered the Peace Corps at age 50 and served in Romania. One of her fellow Peace Corps friends was 80 years old. Fulbright is silly to think that age matters.

So has anyone ever had a positive TB skin test result??? Runner, athlete, in excellent health. Doc predicts chest xray will be clear. Of course this happens on a Friday afternoon. Have to wait until tomorrow to make appointment.

So has anyone ever had a positive TB skin test result??? Runner, athlete, in excellent health. Doc predicts chest xray will be clear. Of course this happens on a Friday afternoon. Have to wait until tomorrow to make appointment.

I have not, but at the hospital I work at, when people start a job there they have to do two mandatory PPDs just to make sure there isn't a false positive (is what they told me anyway). 

Also, I'm pretty sure that a positive reaction doesn't mean you have TB, just that you've been exposed to it somehow.  I wouldn't worry about it until your x-rays come back, especially if your doctor doesn't seem worried. :)

Hi! I just joined and am excited to see some Brazil ETA applicants on here!

I am still waiting anxiously for (hopefully) an acceptance letter. Like all of you, it would be a dream! I applied for Peru but was not accepted, and was a bit sad but got over it quickly-whatever is meant to be will be. However, I was super excited when I received an email in late April from Fulbright asking me to apply to Brazil because I received highly favorable scores, although I wasn't selected for Peru--not even an alternate! (Though I believe there were only 5 ETAs and over 30 applied...)

I really hope I get offered the opportunity...I have not heard anything yet, just that my statement of interest was received and that we should hear by the end of June, if not earlier. I'm hoping earlier! But I suppose I can survive 2 weeks...good luck to all of you! Any updates??

THEN guess what?!!

:( So sorry...I would have crumbled. But I think you should take that as positive!

Hi! I just joined and am excited to see some Brazil ETA applicants on here!

I am still waiting anxiously for (hopefully) an acceptance letter. Like all of you, it would be a dream! I applied for Peru but was not accepted, and was a bit sad but got over it quickly-whatever is meant to be will be. However, I was super excited when I received an email in late April from Fulbright asking me to apply to Brazil because I received highly favorable scores, although I wasn't selected for Peru--not even an alternate! (Though I believe there were only 5 ETAs and over 30 applied...)

I really hope I get offered the opportunity...I have not heard anything yet, just that my statement of interest was received and that we should hear by the end of June, if not earlier. I'm hoping earlier! But I suppose I can survive 2 weeks...good luck to all of you! Any updates??

I'm waiting on Brazil too; I was a Panama alternate. Honestly, if given the option between Panama and Brazil, I'd take Brazil any day now! Ready to learn some Portuguese if accepted. Hoping for some results sooner rather than later, though I'm not checking my inbox every hour yet...