Applications for Fall 2013!

Has anyone heard from UIC?

When I spoke to someone in their office, they said they hoped to have decisions made by March 31st (for the Jan. 15th deadline).  However, they also told me they were having difficulty getting attachments to open for some of their applicants (mine all opened fine, she checked them while I was on the phone), so you may want to call on the premise that you're confirming they received everything.  Finally, she also stated they had roughly 900 applicants this year, so "they're trying to wade through all those applications".

When I spoke to someone in their office, they said they hoped to have decisions made by March 31st (for the Jan. 15th deadline).  However, they also told me they were having difficulty getting attachments to open for some of their applicants (mine all opened fine, she checked them while I was on the phone), so you may want to call on the premise that you're confirming they received everything.  Finally, she also stated they had roughly 900 applicants this year, so "they're trying to wade through all those applications".

Oh wow, it's really important for me to know before March 31st, hopefully I find out before that. I already got a phone call from them because I accidentally submitted the wrong application (I know, embarrassing). Hopefully I find out soon :/

Thanks for the info! :)

Edited by almedina

Received my first rejection letter yesterday... :/ sad to say, this one was completely unexpected. CSULA stated they plan on keeping my application on file, yet received so many applications for 2013 that they can't offer me a spot for their Fall quarter. Gotta admit it feels like a low blow, it was my first choice... 

Does anyone know how many students UIC accepts?

I have no idea.  I assumed around 100, but I honestly don't know.  Someone told me UC-SSA only accepts 25, but I'm starting to think that was an incorrect figure, too.  I don't think UIC is nearly as competitive as UC-SSA.

Received my first rejection letter yesterday... :/ sad to say, this one was completely unexpected. CSULA stated they plan on keeping my application on file, yet received so many applications for 2013 that they can't offer me a spot for their Fall quarter. Gotta admit it feels like a low blow, it was my first choice... 

CaliGirl, I'm sorry.  Rejections are tough.  I think I have some coming and it won't be easy.  But the unexpected ones are probably even tougher.  Just remember; you can reapply if you like and they didn't reject YOU.  They rejected the "you" they saw on paper.  Good luck with your remaining applications.

Hey guys, Just wanted to run this by you all. So I've read on another forum (two actually) some people giving advice to other MSW hopefuls that they shouldn't waste too much money on getting an MSW degree, and to apply to NYU, Columbia or Fordham because they "accept anyone". So here are some things that I would like to vent and get your feedback to those comments:

1) I feel that it's very disrespectful to first of all, tell anyone "it's an MSW, so don't waste too much money on getting the degree". No one should be putting a psychological or even economic worth on what the degree is. We all know that you don't go into social work to become a Fortune 500. However, if to me, going to the University that I want, and which will give me the education, tools and overall experience that I am looking for, it may well be worth $50-60,000. That's my problem and I am the one who will have to deal with the loans or however I choose to finance. If anyone is choosing to pay that amount for their MSW, then that is what it is worth to them and I'm sure that they will work hard to be successful and have a return on investment. No doubt at all about that.

2) I'm not sure where or how these individuals know what criteria is used by places such as Columbia, NYU or Fordham, but to say that "they accept anyone" is again, offensive and disrespectful to every individual who has worked hard to have a personal statement which obviously shows graduate-level writing or potential, excellent letters of recommendation and then of course, at least some sort of decent gpa. However, if anyone really knows that the statement "they accept anyone" is true, I would like to know how/where I can find evidence of that, as such proof would certainly influence my decision as to where I choose to go. But just saying that "they have a 75% acceptance rate" will not be enough, as we well know that when evaluating MSW applicants, the admissions committees are looking for things beyond test scores and a GPA, certain qualities and substance.. Oh, and if you're going to say that the 25% that didn't get in most probably had some serious academic infraction, then show me your research and where you got that from.

3) Lastly, social work is not for everyone, just like law school or medical school or teaching is not for everyone, etc, etc. Each of those roles serves a purpose, but they all have one thing in common-- an advanced degree takes dedication, hard work, long hours, financial and personal sacrifices, regardless of whether it is a Masters degree or a PHD, and I think that anyone wanting to better themselves should be applauded and supported.

That's it. Thanks for listening- feeling better! :)

Edited by MSWgradcandidate

CaliGirl, I'm sorry.  Rejections are tough.  I think I have some coming and it won't be easy.  But the unexpected ones are probably even tougher.  Just remember; you can reapply if you like and they didn't reject YOU.  They rejected the "you" they saw on paper.  Good luck with your remaining applications.

Hey CaliGirl, Rejections stink, but please try to not take it personal and this isn't like you're 28yrs old competing on American Idol, and it's your last chance!!! :-) I'm being silly, but you get my point- yes, you can reapply! Don't give up!  Good luck to you!!

I got into University of Michigan 1/30, and applied to their GSSA job program. Has anyone heard back that they've gotten an interview yet? They said it should be sometime in mid to late February...
Okay I weirdly got an email soon after I posted this saying I didn't get the career services gssa position. I'm still waiting to hear back from student services gssa position. Has anyone yet? Thanks!

Everyone that got into Columbia today, congrats!! I was wondering, did you just apply by the January 3rd deadline or did you apply earlier? I'm worried I didn't get in since I didn't get the email today! :(

Hey! I heard from them yesterday but I applied in mid-December, so maybe that's why. On the thread from last year it seems like they sent acceptance letters over several weeks. Good luck!

For those who got into columbia when did you all apply? I didn't apply until the deadline 1/3 but my app was completed on 1/8 and ihant heard anything. I'm getting very nervous wa

My application was complete on 11/30/12 and I heard back yesterday.

Just got a phone call from my brother that they sent my acceptance letter from UIC to my permanent address instead of my mailing address.

But anyway I got in! So excited! It was dated February 12th so I'm not sure why I haven't received an e-mail or why my status hasn't changed online.

Hey! I heard from them yesterday but I applied in mid-December, so maybe that's why. On the thread from last year it seems like they sent acceptance letters over several weeks. Good luck!

Thank you so so much for the info!! Columbia is my #1 and I'm so anxious to hear! Congrats to you!

I applied to SUNY Albany as well and haven't heard anything either. Hopefully we'll hear back soon!

you mean stony brook social work program right? I called them today and they said not until mid to late March.. -_-...jeeezzz

Hey!  I see it says you've been accepted to "Madison".  Is that UW-Madison?  If so, can you tell me when you applied, when you heard and how you found out (snail mail, email, status change on the website)?  Thanks!

Just got a phone call from my brother that they sent my acceptance letter from UIC to my permanent address instead of my mailing address.

But anyway I got in! So excited! It was dated February 12th so I'm not sure why I haven't received an e-mail or why my status hasn't changed online.

Hey!  Can I ask when you applied to UIC?

I asked BU for an extension yesterday and on the phone they said it would be fine, but when I emailed I was denied, so it doesn't look like they're granting extensions.  They said I could put the money down and then not take the spot in the end, but obviously it's expensive to lose that money.

I actually had the same experience last week, sherms31! Not sure why the receptionist told me I could get a one week extension but when I emailed they said they would not grant any extension. Yes, we could put down a deposit but that is kinda expensive. I probably will end up declining BU's offer.

As far as I know for NYU, you have to deposit.. I heard back in September and am waiting on about 5 other schools, but deposited to NYU just to keep my spot.. it is a good school and so, so pretty! (not sure if you're familiar with Washington Square park) I also have a friend who graduated from NYU and said the professors are heavily clinical professional SW's (which is my concentration) so it's a great school for clinical. Hope that helps!

Thank you for the feedback! Yes I have heard that NYU is is heavily clinical, which is what I intend to concentrate in as well. I would like to be exposed to perhaps the macro side as well... so that is why I think Columbia might be my #1 choice at the moment as it has a more broad curriculum. But NYU looks very nice as well! And yes I have been to Washington Park, very pretty :)

Has anyone heard from Columbia yet?

Nope, not yet! Anxiously waiting to hear back...My application was complete and sent for review on January 24th so I probably won't here for another week or so.. Is that one of your first choices as well?

Accepted to Penn, Michigan, NYU and Columbia. Very exciting times! Congratulations to everyone :)

Congrats! When did you hear back from Columbia? Columbia is my #1 choice but I thought they weren't sending out admission decisions until the first week of March