MFA 2013 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ten-of-swords

Sometimes quieter people come across as being wiser.  Maybe because they think more before they speak, and don't just say the first thing that pops in their head like ....me.   

If you are so shy that you don't say anything at all, then that would definitely be a problem. Try to push yourself to open up to people, but not so much that you seem fake.  

Also, the best strategy to make people like you or think you are intelligent is to ask THEM questions about themselves.  (not during a formal interview though!)  You could think of some questions ahead of time to ask people and then you won't feel awkward during those moments of silence.  Plus, asking questions makes THEM talk, which is good if you are shy.  

Shy isn't bad as long as you seem excited to be there and you have interesting things to say during your interview.

Hey Indigoconcord,

I see you have an interview for U Chicago. I also applied there as a painter, could you tell me when/how did they let you know about being selected for the interview process? Do you know by any chance if they already have all of their candidates selected?

Thank you for the advice! If asked to interview, I'll prepare a few questions to curtail any interpersonal silences that occur. I do have interesting things to say about my work, but I freeze up terribly in certain social situations. Hard to foresee. However, I think (hope) people understand that I am just shy and not disengaged or inarticulate. 

It's more productive, at least, to prepare for interviews that may not occur than fret about factors now beyond my control (reviewing my submitted materials again, and again!). 

I was also wondering if those applying to Skowhegan recommend including detail shots. In my case, detail shots truly are helpful, but occupy valuable space, as there's a limit of ten images. Further, do you think it's best to use one body of work, or two? I don't want the work to look scattered, but I'd like to include a few strong pieces from the earlier series. Are three images sufficient to suggest a coherent body of work? 

Hey Indigoconcord,

I see you have an interview for U Chicago. I also applied there as a painter, could you tell me when/how did they let you know about being selected for the interview process? Do you know by any chance if they already have all of their candidates selected?

Pm'd you back, but for the sake of this forum I was contacted via email jan 14th. No idea how many they interview or what their protocol is.

Edited by indigoconcord

Pm'd you back, but for the sake of this forum I was contacted via email jan 14th. No idea how many they interview or what their protocol is.

Wow! My schools' applications were only due last week, can't believe some schools are already that far in deciding...good luck!!!

Wow! My schools' applications were only due last week, can't believe some schools are already that far in deciding...good luck!!!

thanks! im very excited about the u of c program. their deadline was earlier than most (dec. 15th), but i was definitely surprised to have heard from them in just under a month, considering the holidays took a big chunk out of the middle of that time frame.

That sounds like a great program.  I was on the fence about applying- not sure it's the right program for me.  I just got into UCSB with a great offer and did an interview at Ohio State

Good lord.  If you have a good package at UCSB, I'd forget about OSU.  The only one on your list I'd take over UCSB is U. Washington.  (And I suppose most people would say, Columbia as well.)

Just got an email from MassArt today for an interview. Really shocked to hear from them so soon, applications were due January 15th and I turned mine in on the 14th. Havent scheduled the interview just yet, about to do it via email. Just in complete shock to hear from them so soon. Makes me worried about the other applications I've sent out (RISD's deadline was Jan 10th).

Edit: scheduled my interview for Feb. 6th. Still have three more schools to apply for, super nervous about all of this. 

Edited by ArsenicYellow

Just got an email from MassArt today for an interview. Really shocked to hear from them so soon, applications were due January 15th and I turned mine in on the 14th. Havent scheduled the interview just yet, about to do it via email. Just in complete shock to hear from them so soon. Makes me worried about the other applications I've sent out (RISD's deadline was Jan 10th).

I wouldn't get too worked up yet. That is an incredibly fast turn around. Yale's app was due January 1st and I am pretty sure they don't start offering interviews until early February. I would expect about a months wait to be more the norm.

Got an email a few hours ago from MICA admissions person that my application is complete and ready for review, which I'm guessing means they will start doing that soon.  And then interview requests should follow along right after that, which seems to line up with last years admissions timetable.

I wouldn't get too worked up yet. That is an incredibly fast turn around. Yale's app was due January 1st and I am pretty sure they don't start offering interviews until early February. I would expect about a months wait to be more the norm.

100% positive it was for an interview. There was a link at the bottom of the email with a form to fill out. Scheduled it for Feb 6th.

Edit: sorry I totally misread your message, thought you meant wouldnt get worked up about it being an interview. Must be nerves at the moment.

Also has anyone heard from Penn State? I have a friend waiting to hear from them, their deadlines were mid december :(

Edited by ArsenicYellow

Hello fellow applicant - I've been reading this blog for a bit but now I have to chime in with a question... I applied to 7 schools (and 2 more will be submitted this weekend). One of the schools already called my references this week. This got me concerned that other schools weren't calling and wondering when you really start to find out if you are being considered or not. I am a bundle of nerves - anything I can find out will be appreciated.

So my question is - in Painting/Visual Art has anyone hear anything from:

Yale

Cornell

UCLA

UC Irvine

RISD

Calarts

or know when USC and Rutgers started calling last year?

I realize I will find out when I find out....but I can't help wanting to find out sooner!

Cheers!

Hello fellow applicant - I've been reading this blog for a bit but now I have to chime in with a question... I applied to 7 schools (and 2 more will be submitted this weekend). One of the schools already called my references this week. This got me concerned that other schools weren't calling and wondering when you really start to find out if you are being considered or not. I am a bundle of nerves - anything I can find out will be appreciated.

Yale

Cornell

UCLA

UC Irvine

RISD

Calarts

I realize I will find out when I find out....but I can't help wanting to find out sooner!

Cheers!

I recieved my acceptance letter to Rutgers late Feb last year.  They staggered acceptance letters over a couple weeks after that, especially for painting.

Yale

Cornell

UCLA

UC Irvine

RISD

Calarts

Cheers!

Hi, Ponytailkate.  Which school called your references?

I actually know a bunch of really good artists who have come out of Ohio State. And I've heard nothing but awesome things about their funding.  Ann Hamilton teaches there. 

Well, good. Maybe it's for you, then.  I knew a few people who hated it there.  But that was a few years back.  Being at UCSB would put you close to the very interesting L.A. art scene.  And it's cold in Columbus . . . . (although a very nice city)

Hi! This is my first post here. I only applied to one school- Ohio State. I rcvd a request from the dept admissions last week for transcripts which I provided. I noticed today that my status has been change to "in review". I saw on here someone else has already had an interview at OSU so now I'm really afraid that I haven't heard anything. Do they conduct interviews for everyone they are considering? Thanks!! :) :)

Friend of mine got a preliminary interview call today with Indiana Bloomington for Sculpture. Probably calls only went out for the sculpture department, but I really have no clue. Applications were due January 15th, it's crazy how fast calls are going out, makes me so nervous about my other applications. 

Just received an email to schedule an interview for Umass Dartmouth. Really really surprised at these quick responses....8-10 days after the deadline. It'll make the long wait from the other Unis from my list more nerve racking.

Edited by ArsenicYellow

Hunter - who called today, I applied to both painting and multi-media and I had to chose one program for the reviewing process

SAIC

CU Boulder

Cranbrook

Carnegie Mellon

CalArts

Yale

MICA

oh.  Hunter isn't on your list though.  hehe.    Well, that's one less hope for me bc i'm sure Hunter will accept you-- I found your website and you're so awesome.

.  They actually called you though?  I've got a bunch of emails from them but no calls.  

Which school is your top choice? 

Which program did you choose for the review?  Sorry to ask you all these questions!  

All of my applications are in! I ended up not applying to Mass Art, University of North Texas, UNM and Arizona State. My final list:

Penn State
Columbia College
Texas Tech
University of Arizona
Florida International University
East Carolina University
University of Houston
University of Oregon

I'm TEMPTED to apply to Rutgers or Montclair, their deadline is this Friday, but I would only apply to one, not both, if any at all. Any thoughts on their photography programs? I wanted to apply to a Cali school but all this talk about budget cuts makes me not want to bother. And a lot of their deadlines passed already.

Ugh, I'm ridiculously anxious, scared, nervous and 3kojerklrjwlkj! I can't rememeber the last time I felt like this.

Good luck to you all! We got this! Congratulations in advance!