MFA 2013 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ten-of-swords

This seems like a pretty ignorant question to ask on a forum full of potential graduate students in the field... Maybe this would be a more appropriate and information-gaining question: "Does the school subscribe to a particular theoretical ideology or does it simply stress intellectual pursuits over formal execution?"

We shant empower the troll.

Btw UCSD or UCLA news anyone?

Last few years UCLA has been last week of Feb for acceptances, march for rejections. UCSD was feb 18th last year and apparently this year on Feb 9th some mofos heard back emailed acceptances! Speak up wherever you are.

Last few years UCLA has been last week of Feb for acceptances, march for rejections. UCSD was feb 18th last year and apparently this year on Feb 9th some mofos heard back emailed acceptances! Speak up wherever you are.

yeah, I received an acceptance email last weekend from UCSD, then later last week got notice of their open studios event in early March.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Can you define what you believe to be or what makes the school 'conceptual in nature'

Since others find it more helpful to rephrase your question than actually answer it, I shall attempt, since I did my undergrad at UCSB.

When I was there, the graduate students (who were also my TA's) were making pretty decent art in a wide variety of mediums. However, it is a University and is very theory based. So, unless you have taken a class on semiotics and are up to snuff on your art critique, it will be hard to understand what the heck they're trying to say with their art. The quality of the art created was completely dependent on the quality of artist. It seemed to me that there was a lot of freedom in the program. And like another post said, wonderful large studios. And the art department overlooks the ocean. Okay, now I'm depressed that I moved away.

Interesting the constant UCSB promotion throughout these forum topics...I have good friends in the UCI and UCLA MFA programs and they've had less than stellar things to say (to be polite). Anywho many, many congrats to all the notifications being passed about! I've been a bit MIA but love checkin in to read all the good news!

Edited by LovelyPainter

Holy crap, I just called OSU to ask about my application status and hung up while my call was being transfered, I think I am going to throw up.  

My Question: When I log in to check my application status through the OSU Graduate Application website all my department supplementary materials are listed as Incomplete, is it like that for everyone? 

Mine is, even though when I review my application everything was there.  I emailed them a couple weeks ago to ask about it and never got a response.  All I really wanted to know was if my application was reviewed...I don't necessarily expect a school to notify me if they haven't received all of my materials but I was pretty annoyed they didn't answer considering I paid an application fee and  I can see all the supplemental materials they say they don't have when I go into slideroom

lol, I saw that too...I've been watching the MFA results link like a hawk

Since others find it more helpful to rephrase your question than actually answer it, I shall attempt, since I did my undergrad at UCSB.

When I was there, the graduate students (who were also my TA's) were making pretty decent art in a wide variety of mediums. However, it is a University and is very theory based. So, unless you have taken a class on semiotics and are up to snuff on your art critique, it will be hard to understand what the heck they're trying to say with their art. The quality of the art created was completely dependent on the quality of artist. It seemed to me that there was a lot of freedom in the program. And like another post said, wonderful large studios. And the art department overlooks the ocean. Okay, now I'm depressed that I moved away.

Yup. 

Well I've scheduled my interview with RISD! Getting a little nervous as it gets closer, but oh well. I'll be glad when it's over!

Anyone else interviewing with RISD?

Got mine scheduled for March 4, 2PM. You?

Holy crap, I just called OSU to ask about my application status and hung up while my call was being transfered, I think I am going to throw up.  

My Question: When I log in to check my application status through the OSU Graduate Application website all my department supplementary materials are listed as Incomplete, is it like that for everyone? 

I spoke with the main guy, Michael, in the MFA grad dept. at OSU and he told me to pay NO ATTENTION to that application status page on the osu website...they don't really monitor that at all and it is often incorrect.  

I was accepted to a school, but my online app. still says "incomplete".  If you can see that all your materials are there, then so can they.  

Another school, who said they only needed unoffical transcripts in the beginning, ,told me that mine was illegible, but if i was chosen for interview that i can just bring an official version with me.  ..... 

in other words, as long as your portfolio went through (and probably your statement) then they probably don't care that much about the rest unless you are chosen as a finalist, and then they would contact you to get what they need. 

Plus, they are usually way too busy right now to worry about daily updates on their websites.  

Congratulations!!!! Excellent program.

Did you interview first, or was the first you heard from them the acceptance email?

no interview, they just sent me an email.  I was going to apply to ohio state too, but i missed the deadline.  

Actually i have to ammend my post. I checked Facebook without checking my email.....i got an interview with uci as well!!! The sent out a mass email...sent by kevin appel so Im assuming it included everyone...but i know for a fact that myself and a friend applied for new genres, so maybe there will be other emails.