MFA 2013 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ten-of-swords

I received a rejection letter the other day via email. I've heard that they interviewed earlier this month, did you interview?

Hi there, no I didn't interview! I heard that sometimes they interview, sometimes not... but I figure at this point I didn't get in.  Maybe I'll email them to confirm.

For all those who have been boring holes into their phones in futile hope of making it ring...
Hunter's calendar reads:  March 25-April 2-Spring Recess

So... I don't expect a response until maybe this coming Wednesday?

Edited by e.lewin

It might be a good idea for some of you to look into one of fafsa's repayment plans now. I just did the income based repayment plan which locks you in for only 15% of your income. http://studentaid.ed.gov/repay-loans/understand/plans/income-based. Between my wife and I, we already owe well over $100K...and it looks like even more now with me going to grad school.

good to know the options, but don't forget that you have to immediately pay taxes on any forgiven loans. this new york times article is helpful in explaining the situation. either way, a high debt load is rough. props to people for looking up what they would have to pay on a monthly basis before jumping in. you need to be able to have some time, money, and space to make art after the program too! 

Hi,

I've already wrote a thread about SAIC. But nobody commented. 

Am I really the only one who applied to SAIC FVNMA and haven't heard back yet ? :(

Actually I applied too and haven't heard anything! It's kind of annoying, I feel like I should call...

Does anyone out there have any information (positive or negative) that they can share about the quality of the programs at Southern Illinois University - Carbondale (SIUC)? Especially the painting program, but anything would be helpful. Thanks!

Edited by Josholas

i've been waitlisted at Brooklyn College for the Drawing/Painting MFA- i've been told i'm in the "top tier" of the list. I know it's not a major school, and therefore i have not seen many posts about it here, but has anyone else heard from them? anyone passing on an acceptance? lol

Also, i applied for the MECA "medium residency" MFA. Haven't heard anything, nor can I find eta for responses. Anyone know anything about them?

Hi all, been reading this thing for a little while. for those of you relocating out-of-state and into urban areas, how far in advance are you looking into housing?

Hey honeycleaner - whats your take on University of Chicago? Im applying to programs next year (UofC, Yale, and Columbia as well) and am wondering how you see UofC in regards to the other two (assuming youve visited all 3)?

Thanks, can you tell me how they notified you? Also by last week do you mean this past week or the week before? Thank you!

They contacted me by phone on March 19th. Sorry about the late reply I was out of town.

Hey honeycleaner - whats your take on University of Chicago? Im applying to programs next year (UofC, Yale, and Columbia as well) and am wondering how you see UofC in regards to the other two (assuming youve visited all 3)?

sure. from my perspective, UofC is on par with the others and might even have more going for it. obviously this is just my take on things, and a lot of people would disagree, but the MFA landscape can change pretty quickly and i think many have already caught on. UofC has all the resources and institutional prestige to have an MFA program at the level of the acknowledged ivies, but they havent shown an interest in building such a program until very recently. in the last two years theyve gone through some serious changes - new crazy-awesome building, very notable faculty hirings, and increased funding to students. its not seen as an established 'power-house' type program like Yale or Columbia, but it very well might be in the near future. the students and other interviewees i talked to at each program seemed to all be at an equally high level.

my concerns: chicago does not have as much of an art MARKET as ny, though it did seem to have a very lively art scene. also, hyde park, where UofC is located, is a bit south of the thick of things. but then again, its a really cool area and they do have one of the best contemporary art institutions in the country, the renaissance society, which is on campus. i hear there are some pretty bad neighborhoods south and west of the school, but the students pegged it as a non-issue....

side note: im very skeptical of the notion that ny/la are the best/only places to be successful. chicago is less expensive and might be a better place for beginning-career artists.

i havent made any decisions yet as I'm still waiting to hear from Yale, but to be honest, im leading towards UofC - call me crazy. i might change my mind within the next couple weeks... we'll see

BOO FINALLY got my decision from SAIC after like an eternity - didn't get in :( They did offer me a spot as a prior degree student in their BFA program but it doesn't seem worth it.

BOO FINALLY got my decision from SAIC after like an eternity - didn't get in :( They did offer me a spot as a prior degree student in their BFA program but it doesn't seem worth it.

Sorry to hear that Minheee and thank you for your reply.

I haven't heard anything yet from the school, but I know I should prepare myself for bad news.

ANY news on VCU? 2 weeks ago (3-4 weeks after initial interview) they said a decision was coming "soon". feeling slightly stressed as I need to make a decision.. ugh.

in the meantime, what do you guys think of University of Florida? it's my best option financially.

On 3/31/2013 at 9:49 PM, relentlesslemons said:

@rainbows are you thinking of going to RISD?

Yeah I am. I really like the program and I got a chance to talk with Katy and go to lunch with Larry and past alumni last week at NCECA. I rejected WashU last week and am still waiting to hear back from IU (I am Wait Listed there). What about you?

Does anyone out there have any information (positive or negative) that they can share about the quality of the programs at Southern Illinois University - Carbondale (SIUC)? Especially the painting program, but anything would be helpful. Thanks!

SIU Carbondale is up and coming! Their printmaking and metalsmith departments have great reputations, and they have pretty good funding, too.

Finally got a decision from Tyler's sculpture program. Rejected unfortunately but it's great to finally know.

Already started working on making improvements for the next go around, now I'll just do it with a greater sense of determination.

Good luck to everybody still waiting, making decisions, or getting ready for another go!

PS What's everybody's opinions on PAFA, UPenn, and UArts sculpture programs? Those are schools I'm considering applying to for next year.

Sorry to hear that Minheee and thank you for your reply.

I haven't heard anything yet from the school, but I know I should prepare myself for bad news.

Have faith! You never know c: did you apply anywhere else?

aaaaah! finally get the meaning behind this freak-out forum...

I was a nervous wreck waiting to hear back from schools but now I'm even more anxious as everything is becoming more "real" and I actually have to make a decision. I went into the admission process with the mindset that I probably wouldn't get in and that it would be good practice for next years applications SO now that I actually have some pretty great offers I have NO IDEA what to do.

it doesn't help that my boyfriend of 3 years will be in saint louis for the next 3 years for his schooling and although he's being supportive and wants me to "do what makes me happy" its evident that me deciding to head out west or down south for 3 years could be a major blow to our relationship. it just sucks that I have to be the "bad guy" (choosing school over him)... but it's also not that I want to go and he doesn't want me to-- part of me doesn't want to go either because I don't want to move that far away from him and at the same time the schools closers are not feasible financially or a good fit/the program I want to go to. BUT this is my dream! ya know...

I know noone will be able to tell me what to do but it would be kind of nice if I didn't have to choose. can't I have it all? :)