MFA 2013 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ten-of-swords

Well, I was accepted for Spring 2014... Not sure if that changes things... What I mean is-- I don't know if they notify differently for the Fall since it is sooner. I was reading that they call (I was terrified when I got an email) but they didn't.

I hope that made sense. I am just spitballing... But I wouldn't lose heart yet.

Well, I was accepted for Spring 2014... Not sure if that changes things... What I mean is-- I don't know if they notify differently for the Fall since it is sooner. I was reading that they call (I was terrified when I got an email) but they didn't.

I hope that made sense. I am just spitballing... But I wouldn't lose heart yet.

Just curious, what department did you apply through? I have a friend waiting to hear, and we're both on the edge of our seats!!!

Just curious, what department did you apply through? I have a friend waiting to hear, and we're both on the edge of our seats!!!

Sorry meant to reply but something went wrong... I applied to Drawing/printmaking and works on paper

Edited by e.lewin

I'm in combined media. hope that helps.

I got wait-listed at Hunter for Spring 2014. However, they want to know within the next two weeks if I wish to remain on the list. Is it fair of me to ask where I land on that list considering I have other offers?

Capers, have you decided where you'll be going?

I was pretty certain about Columbia for a while but I've been second guessing myself - to be honest I'm not totally sure.

-Also does anyone know when we'll be getting financial info?

Edited by capers

I was pretty certain about Columbia for a while but I've been second guessing myself - to be honest I'm not totally sure.

Congrats! I'm happy you got in, but sad that you may not go to Columbia!! >_< In the end, go with your gut, it knows best.

One more annoying question about peeps being notified about Hunter's acceptances, was your status on Hunter's online portal changed?  Thanks for your patience!

Congrats! I'm happy you got in, but sad that you may not go to Columbia!! >_< In the end, go with your gut, it knows best.

One more annoying question about peeps being notified about Hunter's acceptances, was your status on Hunter's online portal changed?  Thanks for your patience!

Thanks lady rainicorn!  There was no change on the portal - I hope your friend gets in!

I got wait-listed at Hunter for Spring 2014. However, they want to know within the next two weeks if I wish to remain on the list. Is it fair of me to ask where I land on that list considering I have other offers?

I'd ask. I would think they'd be understanding... You'd be passing up lots of other programs in order to wait. You're putting yourself on the line of not getting off the wait list and having to reapply when you had other offers.

Also, I might be mistaken but I think I saw that you applied to other CUNY schools? You could see if you could start at one place and transfer credits if you got into Hunter in the spring? I know that lots of places don't do transfer credits for graduate school... but if they are all in affiliation with one another you might have a better chance of working something like that out?

Just ideas...

I just emailed back to accept the offer and asked who I should talk to about financial aid, so I'll keep you posted about the answer. I don't think Hunter offers much in terms of scholarship, since they are already so much cheaper than the other programs.

I'd ask. I would think they'd be understanding... You'd be passing up lots of other programs in order to wait. You're putting yourself on the line of not getting off the wait list and having to reapply when you had other offers.

Also, I might be mistaken but I think I saw that you applied to other CUNY schools? You could see if you could start at one place and transfer credits if you got into Hunter in the spring? I know that lots of places don't do transfer credits for graduate school... but if they are all in affiliation with one another you might have a better chance of working something like that out?

Just ideas...

I agree with e.lewin, I would ask if I were you. It's a perfectly reasonable question.

New to the forum.  Hi all.  I'm 40 (still alive, thanks), and have been pretty successful in business, but a long time wannabe artist (sculptor), have a reasonable amount of work and have spent weekends for many years at various schools.

My question is - at my age, should I even bother applying for Columbia?  I feel like I want to (and thank fully can afford to) go to the best, but if it will be me and a bunch of 23-year olds I'm thinking that could be a bit challenging (although fun I'm sure ;) )

Any thoughts?

A

I am curious if anyone who visits this forum has gone through this process in previous years and passed on some good opportunities in hopes of getting better offers the next year and then come up short. I have some decent offers this year but am very confident in my work and am considering trying again next year in hopes of being accepted at more prestigious schools with better offers. Yet, I fear that if I do that, I might not even get as good of results as I got this year. I know that so much of the selection process of these schools is based on building a solid incoming class where everyones work fits together in some fashion, leaving a lot of this process up to chance. Talking to people who hold MFA's from powerhouse programs, I often hear that they went through several years of applications before finally getting what they were looking for, but with the amount of time between application seasons this seems very risky and an extremely lengthy process. Anyone have any input on this?

All in all this is such a major decision to make and the deadlines for final decisions are coming up quickly. So, true to the title of this thread, I am in full-fledged freak-out mode.

Joining in the discussion late. Just heard that I was accepted to Pratt and BU for painting. Trying to decide and having a hard time. BU has a string painting program (I'm don't know as much about Pratt's) but Pratt is in New York. 

Any thoughts? Anyone else looking at BU or Pratt?

I had my Skype interview for Columbia about a month ago, march 15, still no word. Did anyone else interview that day and hear back already? At this point I assume rejection, but I'm still curious.

Hi has anyone heard back from Washington State University, I applied to the Ceramic program, even though I figured by now I been rejected. But it's driving me nuts I need closure!

RIT- Accepted

Alfred - Rejected

LSU- Rejected

SIUE- Rejected

I had my Skype interview for Columbia about a month ago, march 15, still no word. Did anyone else interview that day and hear back already? At this point I assume rejection, but I'm still curious.

Hey Katelogue, I interviewed for printmaking that day, and got the call from Tomas the next day. I would call if you haven't heard back yet. Good luck!!!!

New to the forum.  Hi all.  I'm 40 (still alive, thanks), and have been pretty successful in business, but a long time wannabe artist (sculptor), have a reasonable amount of work and have spent weekends for many years at various schools.

My question is - at my age, should I even bother applying for Columbia?  I feel like I want to (and thank fully can afford to) go to the best, but if it will be me and a bunch of 23-year olds I'm thinking that could be a bit challenging (although fun I'm sure ;) )

Any thoughts?

A

Eudorauser, I would apply, and not worry too much about age. The average age of students (or was it applicants? can't remember) for Columbia is around 28 I believe, so if there are any 23-year olds, there won't be too many. I'm almost 30. I'll be attending in the fall, and so far, all of the prospective students that I've met have been really amazing people, with a wide breadth of experiences behind them.

I am curious if anyone who visits this forum has gone through this process in previous years and passed on some good opportunities in hopes of getting better offers the next year and then come up short. I have some decent offers this year but am very confident in my work and am considering trying again next year in hopes of being accepted at more prestigious schools with better offers. Yet, I fear that if I do that, I might not even get as good of results as I got this year. I know that so much of the selection process of these schools is based on building a solid incoming class where everyones work fits together in some fashion, leaving a lot of this process up to chance. Talking to people who hold MFA's from powerhouse programs, I often hear that they went through several years of applications before finally getting what they were looking for, but with the amount of time between application seasons this seems very risky and an extremely lengthy process. Anyone have any input on this?

All in all this is such a major decision to make and the deadlines for final decisions are coming up quickly. So, true to the title of this thread, I am in full-fledged freak-out mode.

I am all for holding out for the best fit. I've been accepted to other programs before and turned them down, and have used the time to start an art career, do residencies, etc. Meanwhile I worked at whatever jobs I could find, so it's true that if your main goal in life is to become an art professor, a terminal degree is key, but OTOH I would not get into debt for the wrong place.

Hope this helps.