NSF GRFP 2012-2013

Robin G. Walker

Where on FastLane are people checking status?

Here?
https://www.fastlane.nsf.gov/jsp/homepage/proposals.jsp

Or elsewhere?

Also, is there a different announcement for those already in first year of their PhD program or its all just one list? They don't send emails to recipients first?

I can't connect to the site as well.

@spivak: I can't see your link (it won't load), but where you check is like the first page of the GRFP section of the fastlane website. There's a link that leads to "awards list" or something like that. Unless you mean the status of your own application, in which case you have to log into your application and find a link somewhere within it.

EDIT:

If you mean the status of your application, you log in and you look to the right side. It should say something like

Application Year: 2013 spacer.gif

Application Status: Submitted spacer.gif

Final Status:

Edited by Trantorian

I think they were just working on site functions, because I had either long delays or failure to load. If you notice on the announcements, they were working on their cash request system. 

Seems to be working just fine now. False alarm :)

Hi everyone,

I have a bit of information for those that are grasping for news. My advisor is one of the NSF reviewers. They met in Washington DC the end of last week and all of this week-- it sounds like quite a behemoth of a conference. My guess is that decisions are made last week and this week (while the reviewers are in DC) and will be announced next week (since the NSF needs time to organize all the decisions, write the e-mails, etc). Fingers crossed for you!

I could be wrong, but I think the review panels meeting in DC this week (and all this month/next month into May) are reviewing NSF grant proposals, not fellowship applications. The review timeline for the GRFP ends in January:

Panelist Timeline
  • September/October: Invitations issued to potential panelists
  • October: Panelists Accept
  • October/November: Travel arrangement notification will be sent
  • January: Panelists meet to review applications

Apisregina I believe you are correct. I am pretty sure the panelists meet in January to review fellowship apps. I would be shocked if they had waited till March to make decisions. 

Edited by caddyhair

From what I know about the process of another fellowship I applied for (the STAR grant) acedemic reviewers have met back in January and early February, they discuss the proposals of students likely to get the award.  They make recommendations and Officials overseeing the review panals make the final decision based on a series of things, demographics, research topics, etc, not sure what date they do this, but I was told the professors that review these proposals don't even know who the final winners are.

Also, a couple weeks ago, looking through the depths of the NSF website and found a list of dates when review panelist meet and the NSF GRFP wasn't listed, so either they already had the panel meeting, or they aren't willing to tell us when they met. 

Just so I can prod even further, does anyone know around when the site goes down on the night the awards are announced? Is it exactly 11p EST? Or sometime earlier in the evening?

I went back and looked at last year's - it does seem to go down right at 8, although there's a lot of compulsive refreshing that happens for a few hours afterward.

Kind of wish it wasn't spring break so I would have deadlines to make me focus >_<

It's my spring break, too. I have a lot of things to do. A midterm exam that's due Friday, papers I need to grade, lectures I need to have completed by Monday, an exam I need to construct for my students.

Having a hard time focusing with this looming over my head. My exam has a research proposal component; maybe I'll just propose a project where I find out what's happening to me.

It's my spring break, too. I have a lot of things to do. A midterm exam that's due Friday, papers I need to grade, lectures I need to have completed by Monday, an exam I need to construct for my students.

Having a hard time focusing with this looming over my head. My exam has a research proposal component; maybe I'll just propose a project where I find out what's happening to me.

Saaaammmmeeeee HERE. 

I'd done a good job of mostly forgetting about this since I applied, but now that announcement time is near I'm starting to get twitchy.

Spring break for me too - alternating between sleeping off an illness, working on a couple papers that need to get done, and having adventures. The adventures are good for distraction.

so, does anyone know if we could potentially find out the results faster by obsessively checking fastlane once it goes down, or will the email basically come at the same time?  so reassuring other people are freaking over this as much as me!

The past 2 years, the email has come about an hour or so after being able to check your fastlane account, so unfortunately there is a benefit to staying up and refreshing the fastlane page. 

so, does anyone know if we could potentially find out the results faster by obsessively checking fastlane once it goes down, or will the email basically come at the same time?  so reassuring other people are freaking over this as much as me!