Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2013 admissions

FH 2012

Has anyone waitlisted for U of T's 2-year MSW porgram been accepted? Seems as though there's movement on the advanced standing wait list, but unsure about the 2-year ...
A few people were in May. Haven't heard of any this month.

Windsor is such a retarded school. Declined because I do not have a 4 year degree. I graduated after 3.5 years (completed graduation requirements in August). Then, as of the next month took extra courses as an independent student until I had the equivalent of 4 years. (I only did this so I could hand out resumes in September that stated I had a BA rather than working on completing a BA).

Their selection system does not account for people who study outside of Ontario. In Quebec, most people attend cegep after their last year of high school. So after Ontario's grade 11 (which is the last year of high school in Quebec), grades 12 and first year of university are spent in cegep. Then you attend university for 3 years, and start out with second year (or 200-level) courses. 100-level courses do not exist.

I did not attend cegep as I come from another province. So I jumped right into 2nd year university courses and took a whole bunch of extra third year courses until I had enough credits for the equivalent of a 4 year program. So I have 2nd year courses, twice as many 3rd year courses, and 4th year courses on my transcript, totaling 4 years. The problem they have is that I took 4 courses after graduating, rather than wait to complete these courses before applying for graduation because without these 4 course I do not have a 4 year degree.

I am so glad Laurier takes provincial differences into account. I applied to 6 graduate programs in Ontario and BC (and got accepted into 3 of them) and Windsor is the only school that did not recognize these distinctions. So much for providing equal access and equal opportunity to all candidates. I certainly hope these social workers treat their clients with more fairness and equality and train their students to do the same.

Edited by jenste

Windsor is such a retarded school. Declined because I do not have a 4 year degree. I graduated after 3.5 years (completed graduation requirements in August). Then, as of the next month took extra courses as an independent student until I had the equivalent of 4 years. (I only did this so I could hand out resumes in September that stated I had a BA rather than working on completing a BA).   Their selection system does not account for people who study outside of Ontario. In Quebec, most people attend cegep after their last year of high school. So after Ontario's grade 11 (which is the last year of high school in Quebec), grades 12 and first year of university are spent in cegep. Then you attend university for 3 years, and start out with second year (or 200-level) courses. 100-level courses do not exist.   I did not attend cegep as I come from another province. So I jumped right into 2nd year university courses and took a whole bunch of extra third year courses until I had enough credits for the equivalent of a 4 year program. So I have 2nd year courses, twice as many 3rd year courses, and 4th year courses on my transcript, totaling 4 years. The problem they have is that I took 4 courses after graduating, rather than wait to complete these courses before applying for graduation because without these 4 course I do not have a 4 year degree.   I am so glad Laurier takes provincial differences into account. I applied to 6 graduate programs in Ontario and BC (and got accepted into 3 of them) and Windsor is the only school that did not recognize these distinctions. So much for providing equal access and equal opportunity to all candidates. I certainly hope these social workers treat their clients with more fairness and equality and train their students to do the same.
You were waitlisted and then they decided this?

DreamingMSW,

I was not officially waitlisted. Since I wasn't declined admission several weeks ago when the first declined offers came out, and people were getting offers on a rolling basis until all of the spots were filled up, you could say everyone else was unofficially waitlisted for a spot.

I inquired about their decision and found out that I was officially refused admission yesterday because my degree does not state that it is a 4 year degree. Well, no kidding!!! If first year courses do not exist in Quebec and there are only 2nd, 3rd and 4th year undergrad courses at the university, then most programs will be 3 years. All Quebec students are enrolled in 3 year programs (except if you are in a program with tons of internships, then it will be 4 years).

In Quebec, the only exception to the above is out of province students who go directly from high school to university, or take a break from school for a maximum of 2 years. These younger students are put into a 4 year program, which is stated on their transcript. They need to take one year's worth of second and/of third year courses to make up the extra credits. Older/mature students who went to high school in another province are put into a program that is approximately 3.5 years, which is what happened to me.

Here is my theory on why I think this problem happened. Back in the old days in Ontario, you had a choice between a 3 or 4 year degree. Most did a 3 year degree. But if you had a high GPA and wanted to take an Honours program then you were put into a 4 year program. Today, everyone in Ontario is put into a 4 year program, regardless of GPA or Honours status. I think it comes down to a perception that being enrolled in a program that is less than 4 years is less esteemed than a shorter program (plus additional courses completed on the side so that the student has 4 years worth of courses). 

So essentially, my age, social status (of being employed fulltime for over 2 years and not in school for over 2 years) and my geographic location (having a high school diploma from Ontario and a university degree from Quebec) are the reasons why I was not admitted to U of Windsor. If I was younger (straight out of high school) and didn't have a long work history, I would have been put into a 4 year degree program. Alternatively, if I went to a university in Ontario, I would have been enrolled in a 4 year program and would have had no problem either.

Apparently, 4 years of university level coursework is not enough for U of Windsor. You actually need to be enrolled in a 4 year program.  

You were waitlisted and then they decided this?

Jenste, I totally feel your pain.  I have a 4yr degree but remember quite well when Ontario universities gave the option of graduating in 3.   Although I understand that some universities receive hundreds of applications and have to be ruthless in some areas just to whittle down the applicant pool, it still doesn't sound very fair. Especially now when many more 'mature' students are returning to the classroom, it would be great if universities could update their admission criteria to reflect the full spectrum of students who are applying. Thankfully you have already been accepted to Laurier so this will not affect your academic career.

DreamingMSW,

I was not officially waitlisted. Since I wasn't declined admission several weeks ago when the first declined offers came out, and people were getting offers on a rolling basis until all of the spots were filled up, you could say everyone else was unofficially waitlisted for a spot.

I inquired about their decision and found out that I was officially refused admission yesterday because my degree does not state that it is a 4 year degree. Well, no kidding!!! If first year courses do not exist in Quebec and there are only 2nd, 3rd and 4th year undergrad courses at the university, then most programs will be 3 years. All Quebec students are enrolled in 3 year programs (except if you are in a program with tons of internships, then it will be 4 years).

In Quebec, the only exception to the above is out of province students who go directly from high school to university, or take a break from school for a maximum of 2 years. These younger students are put into a 4 year program, which is stated on their transcript. They need to take one year's worth of second and/of third year courses to make up the extra credits. Older/mature students who went to high school in another province are put into a program that is approximately 3.5 years, which is what happened to me.

Here is my theory on why I think this problem happened. Back in the old days in Ontario, you had a choice between a 3 or 4 year degree. Most did a 3 year degree. But if you had a high GPA and wanted to take an Honours program then you were put into a 4 year program. Today, everyone in Ontario is put into a 4 year program, regardless of GPA or Honours status. I think it comes down to a perception that being enrolled in a program that is less than 4 years is less esteemed than a shorter program (plus additional courses completed on the side so that the student has 4 years worth of courses). 

So essentially, my age, social status (of being employed fulltime for over 2 years and not in school for over 2 years) and my geographic location (having a high school diploma from Ontario and a university degree from Quebec) are the reasons why I was not admitted to U of Windsor. If I was younger (straight out of high school) and didn't have a long work history, I would have been put into a 4 year degree program. Alternatively, if I went to a university in Ontario, I would have been enrolled in a 4 year program and would have had no problem either.

Apparently, 4 years of university level coursework is not enough for U of Windsor. You actually need to be enrolled in a 4 year program.  

What gets to me is that Quebec universities currently operate in the same way. I only graduated a year and a half ago and completed the last of my courses a year ago. So U of Windsor isn't even up to date on the current model of education in Quebec that has been around for over 10 years (and perhaps even a few decades).

I had already decided to attend Laureir and this experience has only reassured me that I am attending the better university of the two. This policy discriminates against older students from Quebec and does not reflect well on the university, particularly a department of social work.

Jenste, I totally feel your pain.  I have a 4yr degree but remember quite well when Ontario universities gave the option of graduating in 3.   Although I understand that some universities receive hundreds of applications and have to be ruthless in some areas just to whittle down the applicant pool, it still doesn't sound very fair. Especially now when many more 'mature' students are returning to the classroom, it would be great if universities could update their admission criteria to reflect the full spectrum of students who are applying. Thankfully you have already been accepted to Laurier so this will not affect your academic career.

What gets to me is that Quebec universities currently operate in the same way. I only graduated a year and a half ago and completed the last of my courses a year ago. So U of Windsor isn't even up to date on the current model of education in Quebec that has been around for over 10 years (and perhaps even a few decades).

I had already decided to attend Laureir and this experience has only reassured me that I am attending the better university of the two. This policy discriminates against older students from Quebec and does not reflect well on the university, particularly a department of social work.

I find this rediculous. I have many friends who went to university in Quebec and have never heard of such rediculous policies when it came to their 3-year degree. You have clearly chosen a university that will provide you with a fantastic education for your MSW. I am glad that you decided to attend Laurier before any of this happened.

Windsor is such a retarded school. Declined because I do not have a 4 year degree. I graduated after 3.5 years (completed graduation requirements in August). Then, as of the next month took extra courses as an independent student until I had the equivalent of 4 years. (I only did this so I could hand out resumes in September that stated I had a BA rather than working on completing a BA).

Their selection system does not account for people who study outside of Ontario. In Quebec, most people attend cegep after their last year of high school. So after Ontario's grade 11 (which is the last year of high school in Quebec), grades 12 and first year of university are spent in cegep. Then you attend university for 3 years, and start out with second year (or 200-level) courses. 100-level courses do not exist.

I did not attend cegep as I come from another province. So I jumped right into 2nd year university courses and took a whole bunch of extra third year courses until I had enough credits for the equivalent of a 4 year program. So I have 2nd year courses, twice as many 3rd year courses, and 4th year courses on my transcript, totaling 4 years. The problem they have is that I took 4 courses after graduating, rather than wait to complete these courses before applying for graduation because without these 4 course I do not have a 4 year degree.

I am so glad Laurier takes provincial differences into account. I applied to 6 graduate programs in Ontario and BC (and got accepted into 3 of them) and Windsor is the only school that did not recognize these distinctions. So much for providing equal access and equal opportunity to all candidates. I certainly hope these social workers treat their clients with more fairness and equality and train their students to do the same.

....probably watch your use of the word 'retarded' next time

Definitely good advice! I have tried to become more mindful of the language I use lately. Being a 22 year old girl, it's hard not to accidentally speak in lazy slang or vocabulary, but I work with individuals with developmental challenges and have naturally become more aware of my use of sensitive words. 

Nicely said! I think that often, we aren't even aware of the connotation of the words we use. I am sure that Jenste used the 'r' word without realizing how offensive it can be. I took a Disability Studies course and was astounded by the amount of derogatory language many of us use on a daily basis. As future (and current) social workers, we definitely need to be very mindful of what we say.

Definitely good advice! I have tried to become more mindful of the language I use lately. Being a 22 year old girl, it's hard not to accidentally speak in lazy slang or vocabulary, but I work with individuals with developmental challenges and have naturally become more aware of my use of sensitive words. 

I, of all people, should have known that. I have taken courses in cognitive and physical disabilities as part of my undergrad studies and learned all about using people first language. Sorry if I offended anyone here.

I was so unbelieveably angry and that was the first word that came to mind, as I am not the type to swear. It seemed like a word I had not used in years (in that context) as I was typing it. But in my anger, it was just a fleeting thought, and I did not think about why I didn't use that word anymore. Sorry about that. 

Edited by jenste

I, of all people, should have known that. I have taken courses in cognitive and physical disabilities as part of my undergrad studies and learned all about using people first language. Sorry if I offended anyone here.

I was so unbelieveably angry and that was the first word that came to mind, as I am not the type to swear. It seemed like a word I had not used in years (in that context) as I was typing it. But in my anger, it was just a fleeting thought, and I did not think about why I didn't use that word anymore. Sorry about that. 

Thanks for the apology! 

Annnnd just go in at Laurier today! 

That's awesome Beth! Congratulations! Will you be choosing Windsor or Laurier?

Thanks for the apology! 

Annnnd just go in at Laurier today! 

Gahhh everytime I try to like something my phone clicks the dislike by accident. I was trying to like that Beth got into Laurier!!!

Haha no problem! I never really got those "likes" anyways  ;)

Did you contact UofT and reiterate your interest?

I know that this comment wasn't for me, but I was just wondering whether it is a good idea to contact U of T to reiterate an interest in the program? I always thought that it was better to not bother them as they're really busy with admissions right now... but do you know from experience if they actually prefer waitlisted individuals to send an email to let the admissions committee know that they're still interested? I'd really appreciate some guidance for whether or not it's a good idea to contact them, as I've never done that before! 

I know that this comment wasn't for me, but I was just wondering whether it is a good idea to contact U of T to reiterate an interest in the program? I always thought that it was better to not bother them as they're really busy with admissions right now... but do you know from experience if they actually prefer waitlisted individuals to send an email to let the admissions committee know that they're still interested? I'd really appreciate some guidance for whether or not it's a good idea to contact them, as I've never done that before! 
I was thinking the same thing. I have been told not to contact them by several people.