Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2013 admissions

FH 2012

Thank you! I honestly wasn't expecting to get into York and I applied with faith. A lot of people discouraged me from applying because of how competitive it is and the amount of applicants they accept.

Thank you :D

I may be imaginging things but I honestly thought that I read someone asking about my experiences when I posted my acceptance but I can't find the post...Just incase, I decided to re-post what I had previously written. If no one inquired about this, I apologize!

I graduated from York University 6 months ago with an undergraduate degree in Psychology. A- in my last 2 years, A in research (Thesis). I couldn't get a job in social services when I graduated so I work for a medical company right now. I volunteered with children for 6 months, 1 year at a women's shelther assisting social workers, 1.5 and ongoing at the Distress Center as a counsellor, 1 year with individuals who are survivors of sexual assault at York University and 1 year with seniors.

oh thank you. It was me but then I decided to look back and find the post anyway. Thank you!!!

Such wonderful news!! All the best at York and with your new career.

God is amazing! I got off the waitlist at York University and was officially accepted! I'm still in shock. I keep checking the MyFile to make sure that i'm not seeing things!

Congrats, midnightrose! After a trip to u of c, I have learned that I don't even qualify for a bsw with my gpa, as they do not look at my applied degree in the slightest. Apparently, also, the msw successes had 10+ years of experience and being published has no bearing on my application. And my statement wasn't particularly very good. So, now I don't know what to do. She told me to take some courses there to help my gpa, but shouldn't I take them where I did my bachelors degree? My gpa is terrible from my BA, I will admit, but... Anyway. Anyone have some ideas? Grad school is clearly not in my near future so I have to re-evaluate things. Considering leaving the field altogether, but have no idea what I would do. And I feel hopeless about reaching the (admittedly) lofty career goals...

Firstly, I think it was a great thing to go out to U of C and get an idea of what went wrong. That was a very strong thing to do. It sounds like you heard some really 'hard' truths (kind of like repeated kicks to the stomach) and it takes a lot to wrap your head around it all. Honestly, I feel your pain. Perhaps U of C may not be the best choice for you based on this assessment but that doesn't mean that this career is wrong for you. Actually, I think it would be helpful to broaden your selection of schools. Not all MSW programs are that focused on experience.

It sounds like you cannot get around improving your gpa. When you are taking courses outside of your degree, it doesn't really matter where you take them. You just need to make sure you meet the requirements of the school you are applying to. For instance, at U of T, you need to take all upper level/senior level courses in order for them to 'count' towards gpa improvement.

Regarding your statement, what exactly made it 'not very good'? Is it something you can improve on? I would suggest talking to some of your profs and see if anyone would be willing to critique it for you. Maybe it didn't really mesh with the program? That is, you cannot underestimate 'fit'.

At the end of the day, nothing this person told you is outside of your ability to correct. Everything is fixable! When taking courses for gpa improvement, try your best to pick courses that reflect your career interests. For instance, if you are interested in working with the elderly population, take a course in gerontology. If you are interested in addiction work, take courses in psychology focused on addiction or mental health. That way you can tie it into your statement and demonstrate how you have improved your knowledge and reaffirmed your passion, etc.

Best of luck. I know it will take a little time to pick yourself back up but please, don't stay down for long. This is one obstacle. It is difficult but not impossible to overcome by any stretch! (of course I speak from experience :)

Congrats, midnightrose! After a trip to u of c, I have learned that I don't even qualify for a bsw with my gpa, as they do not look at my applied degree in the slightest. Apparently, also, the msw successes had 10+ years of experience and being published has no bearing on my application. And my statement wasn't particularly very good. So, now I don't know what to do. She told me to take some courses there to help my gpa, but shouldn't I take them where I did my bachelors degree? My gpa is terrible from my BA, I will admit, but... Anyway. Anyone have some ideas? Grad school is clearly not in my near future so I have to re-evaluate things. Considering leaving the field altogether, but have no idea what I would do. And I feel hopeless about reaching the (admittedly) lofty career goals...

Sorry to hear that, pinsandneedles. What do you mean by an applied degree? Do you mean a diploma from a community college?

If you really want to get into social work, I'd look into BSW programs and when get get in, work really hard to get a GPA of A- or better. (It's still possible to get into an MSW program with a GPA of B+ but it seems that lots of people apply with a B+ so it will be tougher to get in without an A- or better).

You could also apply to MSW programs in the US depending on your GPA. The US has far more grad school programs than we do in Canada (since they have 10x the population of Canada), therefore some people get in with less than stellar GPAs. I've heard of people getting into MSW programs with a B average. So if you have a B, this may be an option for you. 

If money is an issue, Bridgewater and Salem State have more affordable tuition fees ($9,000/yr and $11,000/yr respectively), and there are probably a few more out there that are less expensive. But be prepared to spend a lot of time looking for them on the internet since there aren't that many.

If you do go back to school, I highly recommend applying to more schools, like 5 or 6, because with a low GPA it's going to be tougher for you to get into something, but it certainly won't be impossible. I'd also recommend consulting with a professional educational counsellor to edit your letters of interest before submitting your essays to the schools.  

Edited by jenste

Anyone get a second round offer from U of Windsor? First round offer deadlines should have been the end of last week. I looked at my account and it still says referred to department.

Anyone get a second round offer from U of Windsor? First round offer deadlines should have been the end of last week. I looked at my account and it still says referred to department.

Nothing for me either. I think it might take a few more weeks for the second round considering most schools allow for about 2 weeks to respond to an offer. Does anyone know what the time frame is for Windsor?

Two weeks have already passed. Two weeks is the time frame. So I think if nothing changes on our account by today we will be waiting for the third round due to come out in another 2 weeks.

Nothing for me either. I think it might take a few more weeks for the second round considering most schools allow for about 2 weeks to respond to an offer. Does anyone know what the time frame is for Windsor?

It stopped working for me last week. I had to sign up for an account using my student number and PAC, as if I'd never logged into my account before. Weird.

Is your MyUWindsor working? It won't seem to let me log on, I can only check through SIS for the past week or so. 

Calgary finally gave an update. I'm on the waitlist but I'm going to be telling them I don't want my name kept on it anymore. For those who are wondering, they say that they won't be disclosing where a person is ranked on the waitlist. Names will be kept on the waitlist until August 1st.

Well, a quick update. I had been told that I should consider myself not accepted to university of Calgary in mid-May. Since they were done notify acceptances, I moved on. Just got my admission notification today. Wha??????

So, I have declined their offer and hopefully opened a spot for someone here. It's UVic for me, and the plane tickets are bought!!!!!

Got accepted to Windsor today. Such a relief after all the waiting. Good luck to everyone else still waiting to hear!

Congrats!!!

In other news....awwww shucks

Congrats on both offers! Victoria looks like such a great place to live and study. You are one lucky person!

Well, a quick update. I had been told that I should consider myself not accepted to university of Calgary in mid-May. Since they were done notify acceptances, I moved on. Just got my admission notification today. Wha??????

So, I have declined their offer and hopefully opened a spot for someone here. It's UVic for me, and the plane tickets are bought!!!!!

That's wonderful news! Congrats. Are you planning to attend or are you going to see if your name comes up at Laurier or U of T?

Got accepted to Windsor today. Such a relief after all the waiting. Good luck to everyone else still waiting to hear!

I just saw on another forum that an individual was accepted off the Wait-List for U of T. I'm feeling a little anxious. Has anyone heard anything?

I just saw on another forum that an individual was accepted off the Wait-List for U of T. I'm feeling a little anxious. Has anyone heard anything?
Nope. I haven't heard about anyone getting in yet. You sure it's the two year?

I'm sure there have been other offers made to wait listed candidates. People get multiple offers all the time and U of T isn't always their first choice. Now that everyone has heard back from their schools (with the exception of 3rd/4th round offers from U of Windsor) people are starting to get a clear idea of where they plan to go in the fall and it should sort itself out any day now.

In the upcoming months, there will be people changing their mind for different reasons, like health problems, pregnancy, family responsibilities, financial difficulties, job promotions, etc, and some more spots are bound to open up. I noticed that last year someone was offered a spot off of U of T's waitlist on Sept 4!!!

Edited by jenste

I'm sure there have been other offers made to wait listed candidates. People get multiple offers all the time and U of T isn't always their first choice. Now that everyone has heard back from their schools (with the exception of 3rd/4th round offers from U of Windsor) people are starting to get a clear idea of where they plan to go in the fall and it should sort itself out any day now.

In the upcoming months, there will be people changing their mind for different reasons, like health problems, family responsibilities, financial difficulties, job promotions, etc, and some more spots are bound to open up. I noticed that last year someone was offered a spot off of U of T's waitlist on Sept 4!!!

Thanks for your message, very positive. I'm just feeling very discouraged right now. I was really hoping for that phone call. I guess I'll see what happens.

Again, I appreciate your thoughtful message.

Hmm I guess it's true. But that's ok. I'm sure there will be more spots opening up.