Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2013 admissions

FH 2012

That's awesome, beth23!! Congrats on the great news. :)

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations!! :D

Thanks everyone, really loved going through this with each and everyone of you! 

You're welcome. It's been really great to be able to share info here while going through the process. 

Is Windsor your first choice or are you still considering Laurier? 

Thanks everyone, really loved going through this with each and everyone of you! 

You're welcome. It's been really great to be able to share info here while going through the process. 

Is Windsor your first choice or are you still considering Laurier? 

Windsor was always my first choice so I am 90% sure I will stick with Windsor either way. However, if I do hear back from Laurier the decision might be a little bit more trickier. We shall see! Either way I am quite pleased :) 

It seems like Windsor has more scholarship and funding opportunities than Laurier (such as TA and RA positions). Apartment rentals seem to be very affordable and easy to find. This is what makes Windsor very tempting. It would be so easy to move there and get settled in.

At Laurier, I like the fact that there aren't any written exams (essays, internships and presentations only) and we have a 2 mth vacation in the summer, so I could get a summer job.

But in Kitchener/Waterloo it's very difficult to find housing that doesn't come with a 12 mth lease. If your intership is in a different city and you don't have a car, you will need to move and could end up paying rent for 2 different places.

I'm also disappointed that there aren't any TA positions for MSW students. I'd like to teach one day and this is pretty disappointing. The cost to rent a room is quite high, in my opinion - prices I'd expect to pay if I was in Toronto or Ottawa, but not a small city like Kitchener. 

But geographically, Laurier is in a better location. I don't plan to settle in Windsor and Laurier would be better for networking opportunities. So Laurier it is. :)

Windsor was always my first choice so I am 90% sure I will stick with Windsor either way. However, if I do hear back from Laurier the decision might be a little bit more trickier. We shall see! Either way I am quite pleased :)

Edited by jenste

Anyone who gets off the Laurier waitlist can join this group....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/506415202727180/

It's a closed group for new 2 yr students. There are also a few members who have just completed their first year who check in from time to time and answer any questions that we may have about the program, housing concerns, etc.

Just put in a request to join and someone will add you on.

Has anyone come off the wait-list from Laurier?

I haven't hear of anyone here yet. But I'm sure there has been some movement. With 90 spots, some people must have turned it down for another offer.

Has anyone come off the wait-list from Laurier?

I pray daily that I will get off the waitlist at U of T. I wish I knew where I stood on the waitlist.

Me too! The uncertainty is frustrating and kind of stressful, as I'm someone who is comforted by predictability. I'm really trying not to think about it as much but knowing that I won't know for sure until September is nerve wracking. 

DreamingMSW and Jaylynn,

I'm confident you will either get in either this year or next year since you were put on the waiting list and came so close this year. But I'm rooting for the both of you that you'll get your chance this year.

DreamingMSW and Jaylynn,   I'm confident you will either get in either this year or next year since you were put on the waiting list and came so close this year. But I'm rooting for the both of you that you'll get your chance this year.
Thank you very much. I am a bit confused as I thought I had really good experience but then again we are competing against the best!!

Me too! The uncertainty is frustrating and kind of stressful, as I'm someone who is comforted by predictability. I'm really trying not to think about it as much but knowing that I won't know for sure until September is nerve wracking. 

I know exactly how you feel. Uncertainty is very stressful for me as well. Particularly because I find myself unable to sign contacts for jobs starting in September since I am not sure what is happening with grad school.

The problem in Canada is the high demand for a limited number of spaces. I'm sure I got into U of Ottawa because there aren't any caps on enrolment. They take as many people as they like and class size is not an issue. UNBC only takes 18 students, but they only get 50-60 applicants as well. This is far cry from the MSW programs that only have spots for 14-18% of the applicants that apply.

I think the numbers partly reflect the job market. It's easier for a social worker to find a job than someone with a Master of Education in Counselling because of the wide breadth of training that social workers get. So this is where higher competition comes in.

Thank you very much. I am a bit confused as I thought I had really good experience but then again we are competing against the best!!

Edited by jenste

The problem in Canada is the high demand for a limited number of spaces. I'm sure I got into U of Ottawa because there aren't any caps on enrolment. They take as many people as they like and class size is not an issue. UNBC only takes 18 students, but they only get 50-60 applicants as well. This is far cry from the MSW programs that only have spots for 14-18% of the applicants that apply.

I think the numbers partly reflect the job market. It's easier for a social worker to find a job than someone with a Master of Education in Counselling because of the wide breadth of training that social workers get. So this is where higher competition comes in.

yep definitely. and apparently the number of applicants to teachers college has drastically decreased.. But I am also positive you still had an incredible application. you got into Laurier!

There definitely might be a connection there. I agree.

yep definitely. and apparently the number of applicants to teachers college has drastically decreased.. But I am also positive you still had an incredible application. you got into Laurier!

Given that I got rejected/waitlisted by all of the other MSW programs I applied to, I've wondered if my brief trip to Costa Rica to do volunteer work had something to do with it. Maybe they don't get a lot of participants and they saw me as a potential exchange student and that is what made my application stand out. I'd love to know what lucky combination of factors got me in, but I'll probably never know what it was.

There definitely might be a connection there. I agree.     Given that I got rejected/waitlisted by all of the other MSW programs I applied to, I've wondered if my brief trip to Costa Rica to do volunteer work had something to do with it. Maybe they don't get a lot of participants and they saw me as a potential exchange student and that is what made my application stand out. I'd love to know what lucky combination of factors got me in, but I'll probably never know what it was.
That definitely could have helped. I wish I had done something like that but I'm honestly at a point in my life now where it's a bit too late to do that. Unfortunately. But it's ok. I'm kind of wondering if my GPA was a bit too low because I honestly don't think there is anything I can do in terms of experience to improve my application. So I am going to plan to take some more courses to boost my GPA in case I need to reapply next year.

I hope things work out for you and that you wont have to reapply. I recall when I attended last year's info session at U of T, the person said that the reason people often get waitlisted is simply a case of too many qualified candidates and not enough spots. It isn't always a case of an applicant lacking in something. They consider many different factors when deciding who to admit which goes beyond gpa such as creating a diverse group with mixed experience etc. However, if you are on the lower side of a B+, improving your gpa may help.

Hang in there DreamingMSW. You seem very passionate about pursuing your MSW and if it doesn't work out this year, the next application season starts in a few short months. I applied twice and believe me time goes quickly.

That definitely could have helped. I wish I had done something like that but I'm honestly at a point in my life now where it's a bit too late to do that. Unfortunately. But it's ok. I'm kind of wondering if my GPA was a bit too low because I honestly don't think there is anything I can do in terms of experience to improve my application. So I am going to plan to take some more courses to boost my GPA in case I need to reapply next year.

I hope things work out for you and that you wont have to reapply. I recall when I attended last year's info session at U of T, the person said that the reason people often get waitlisted is simply a case of too many qualified candidates and not enough spots. It isn't always a case of an applicant lacking in something. They consider many different factors when deciding who to admit which goes beyond gpa such as creating a diverse group with mixed experience etc. However, if you are on the lower side of a B+, improving your gpa may help.

Hang in there DreamingMSW. You seem very passionate about pursuing your MSW and if it doesn't work out this year, the next application season starts in a few short months. I applied twice and believe me time goes quickly.

Thank you very much :). I am so glad you got accepted this year. You are so kind and compassionate and seem to really fit the role of a social worker.

What a thoughtful thing to say, thank you so much for the kind compliment. I'm looking forward to reading on here that you have gained admission--if not this year, then next year for sure :)

Thank you very much :). I am so glad you got accepted this year. You are so kind and compassionate and seem to really fit the role of a social worker.

I am waitlisted at Windsor and the wait is killing me. I have an acceptance at Adler in Vancouver and need to decide if I want to move to the other side of the country but would much rather stay in Ontario and go to Windsor. Ack, I need to know like now. If I'm ranked low on the wait list than it doesn't make sense to wait but for all I know I could be next in line (but that's also doubtful). Ugh. Has anyone heard back recently?

I am waitlisted at Windsor and the wait is killing me. I have an acceptance at Adler in Vancouver and need to decide if I want to move to the other side of the country but would much rather stay in Ontario and go to Windsor. Ack, I need to know like now. If I'm ranked low on the wait list than it doesn't make sense to wait but for all I know I could be next in line (but that's also doubtful). Ugh. Has anyone heard back recently?

I am also still waitlisted at Windsor. I am wondering how many people they put on the waitlist... do you think that they actually sent out "rejections" to anyone, or do you think that they only have sent out acceptances, and everyone else is on the "wait list" by default? 

I am just starting to wonder about that now because I don't think I've heard of anyone getting rejected yet, only acceptances.