Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2013 admissions

FH 2012

I see, thanks for that. That is about the same that U of T accepted last year for the 2yr. They accepted 90 for the advanced standing but this year I think they only accepted 80.  Not sure about that though.

U of T accepted 140 and Laurier accepted 90. Apparently Windsor got 230 applicants this year for 30 spots.  This is for the 2 yr programs. i don't know much about the advanced standing programs.

U of T accepted 140 and Laurier accepted 90. Apparently Windsor got 230 applicants this year for 30 spots. This is for the 2 yr programs. i don't know much about the advanced standing programs.

What is U of Ts acceptance deadline for the 2 year program?

I was not accepted but someone on the forum said it's 4 weeks from the date the acceptance letter was drafted.

What is U of Ts acceptance deadline for the 2 year program?

Does anyone know if Windsor actually waitlists people or do they just do rounds of offers and re-evaluate applications?

I would want to think so; was waitlisted in 07 when I first applied but eventually got rejected  somewhere in august..

I just wanted to throw out a question to anyone planning to attend an MSW program... Ever since you were accepted and told people about it, do you find that people are starting to talk to you more about their personal problems?

Just wondering... This have been my experience the past 2-3 weeks and I wonder if this is something that will happen for the rest of my career (outside of work hrs).

Lol probably; especially when you are willing to listen like am sure most of us here  do perfectly well.....Personally I have not had that experience but thats probably cos havent really told that many people but family--- am not sure what am doing yet as I have a lot on my plate right now...

Congratulations on your offer! Are you going to accept it?

Mine hasn't been changed. I guess I didn't make the first round of offers. Thanks for giving us the update!

Mine hasn't changed either. Got pretty bummed out today after hearing first round has already gone out. I don't even want to imagine how long it will take for the next round to go out! Sadness is consuming me. 

Congrats must_love_dogs 88...! mine hasnt changed either.... no news is really good news Beth23!

Hey Erin, the latest day to send in the deposit I think is May 9th ( Think it has to be recieved by that day). It is Four weeks from the date of admissions letter which was April 11th. Hope that helps.

This is horse shit, waiting on U of C.

I guess I will have to go back and take a BSW. They are offering the course you need as a university transfer student this summer, so I wanted to take it, but after all this waiting I am pretty sure I've missed the deadline of when I can apply to take it. Fuck. Sorry, but clearly I didn't get in so why did they take so long to say so? So frustrated right now... need to get my plans B and C in order I guess.

I'm sorry to hear about that. You seem so keen and passionate about social work. This must be so frustrating....

I don't know if this will be of any consolation to you... When I called the department several months ago I was told the competition at U of C is fierce and they receive lots of high level candidates. So you are up against a lot of top notch compitition at this school. There just aren't enough spots to go around to everyone who deserves one. This is most likely why you haven't received a rejection yet. They're waiting to see if any extra spots open up .

If you end up getting a BSW, you will find that there are tons of schools in Canada that offer advanced standing MSW programs - far more than 2 yr programs and you could apply to a dozen of them if you want. With all that choice you will be very likely to get into a 1 yr MSW program later on.

Best of luck!     

I guess I will have to go back and take a BSW. They are offering the course you need as a university transfer student this summer, so I wanted to take it, but after all this waiting I am pretty sure I've missed the deadline of when I can apply to take it. Fuck. Sorry, but clearly I didn't get in so why did they take so long to say so? So frustrated right now... need to get my plans B and C in order I guess.

You aren't the only one who hasn't heard, and I am just as frustrated.  Don't assume it's a reject tho - I was told that all candidates will receive word, whether it's a yes or a no.  And they initially said they would tell everyone by the end of March, then that got pushed back to the end of April.  Clearly, they are having some problems with communication with everyone. 

I just checked myWindsor and it says "accepted final". I will be declining it as soon as they tell me how so someone else can have that spot. 

Also, I declined UVic, U of Calgary, and Laurier, so a spot should open up soon for someone on the waiting list.

Has anyone heard from UoT of late? Especially, from the Materials Science department.

Is it true, that MASc applicants, international or domestic have to go through some sort of interview with a professor for getting accepted. Actually, I did contact a professor, whom I want to work with but I haven't been contacted yet for any sort of interview.

Also, the thing being that I am shifting from Chemical Engineering to Materials Science is what is worrying me a lot regarding acceptance. I have significant 1.5 years of research experience during UG in Materials, a GPA of 8.29/10 (I belong to India) and a couple of conferences to my credit. Being an international student, I have a TOEFL score of 114. I have been told that I should expect to get a decision by this Monday. However, I am kinda worried thinking of my chances of making it through.

Can anyone comment.

Thanks

That is so disappointing to hear DreamingMSW.  Hang in there...if it doesn't happen this year, there is a lot you can do to make sure next year will be better.  Just a thought, perhaps you can attend one of the information sessions that U of T are currently holding?  The next one is May 22nd (according to the website).  It might be a good way to meet some of the staff and ask questions.   

Dear U of T: please start contacting your wait list. I am in a state of constant sadness. Thank you.

You know, getting on the waitlist at U of T is not easy. Your application was better than 600+ other applications. It only needed to be better than 675 to get an offer. You are so close. If this year doesn't work out, find out how to become a more competitive candidate (going to a U of T session, suggested by MSW13 is a great idea) so that you will get in next year. You are so close to achieving your goal; this is not the time to give up.    

Dear U of T: please start contacting your wait list. I am in a state of constant sadness. Thank you.

That is so disappointing to hear DreamingMSW.  Hang in there...if it doesn't happen this year, there is a lot you can do to make sure next year will be better.  Just a thought, perhaps you can attend one of the information sessions that U of T are currently holding?  The next one is May 22nd (according to the website).  It might be a good way to meet some of the staff and ask questions.   

Thanks :). I applied to another program last year and was rejected so this state of uncertainty is just so awful. It will pass. I went to the information session in September and had the opportunity to meet some people there! I honestly think it's my GPA. So if I don't get in this year I might have to take even more courses to raise it.

Honestly, it's the state of uncertainty that is a bit hard to swallow. I feel as though I can't move forward just because I have no idea what is going to happen (rejection or acceptance). I don't mean to sound like a downer! That is not my intention at all. 

And thank you so much 'jenste'. I really appreciate that your support. I will never give up. Ever. Just frustrated but it's ok. :)

Edited by DreamingMSW

I have a question for those just finishing up their undergrad. I was waitlisted at UofT and I'm supposed to send in my final transcripts. I've received all of my grades, but course averages and the final GPA hasn't been calculated. Should I wait to send them an updated copy until all of this information is made available or just send them now with my final grades?

I would call up or email Angela Umbrello (admin coordinator for admissions) and ask.  Her number is (416) 978-3257 and her email address is angela.umbrello@utoronto.ca  If you call, you might even be able to sneak in a question about waitlist status and find out if it has been moving :)

I have a question for those just finishing up their undergrad. I was waitlisted at UofT and I'm supposed to send in my final transcripts. I've received all of my grades, but course averages and the final GPA hasn't been calculated. Should I wait to send them an updated copy until all of this information is made available or just send them now with my final grades?

No idea. It probably wouldn't hurt to call and ask. I just got tired of waiting. I gave it a lot of thought and I will be going to Laurier even if I'm accepted to Windsor.

Does anyone know when Windsor sends out the second round of acceptances/rejections? Mine reads "referred to Dept" still