Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2013 admissions

FH 2012

Awww.... Thanks for the compliment, Beth23. :)

This forum has been great for me, too. Since we're all in the same boat, we can all relate to how stressful the process can be. I can't wait until it's all over. Only one more week to go before I find out where I'll be going.

My boyfriend will be happy too, since I am always talking about something related to grad school lately. lol

Edited by jenste

Oh no, that's horrible. Let us know what your plan B/C/D is, if I'm in the same boat I will totally be on here discussing job prospects! Did they update your myUWindsor as well? 

Just got rejected from Windsor via email. Good luck to everyone else.

I received my rejection email from Windsor as well. I've been rejected to every school I have applied to except Calgary so far and I don't have high hopes for it either.  I'm disappointed but okay with not getting accepted this year.  I am only young, and could use some more experience, but unsure where to start and how I am going to find something that makes me stand out. I have volunteer and work experience in a lot of child related organizations and companies, and am President of the amber alert/missing children's organization within my province, so I thought that would help me out.  

This application process was horrible for me in terms of the waiting and schools not receiving my transcripts. My question is, if I find a social service related position soon (hopefully), I wouldn't be in it for very long before the 2014 applications would need to be submitted and it still may not give me enough experience.  Should I wait until 2015 to reapply?  I'm lost.

I'm sorry to hear the news, AccioMSW. You gave it your best shot. I hope this year will bring you something even better - like a great new job.

Just got rejected from Windsor via email. Good luck to everyone else.

So no one has heard from Calgary yet?  Last year they were the first school I heard from.  I'm not sure what is going on there right now, but even without this I was getting the feeling that they are a bit disorganized at the moment.

I feel the same way :(

I called the school on Wednesday and was told that the first round of admissions decisions had recently been decided and the offers were currently being processed by the admissions department. They will be mailed out early next week at the latest (but also could have been mailed out this past Thursday or Friday).

She only told me about first round offers and did not mention how people who were rejected or waitlisted would be notified. (But based on this website, it seems that some rejections have come through email). She said some people might need to wait a while for an offer as there will be subsequent rounds of offers made depending on how many people accept and decline.

I think they will go through their rounds of offers fairly quickly since most people have already heard back from their schools and will be able to make a quicker decision.

Has anyone got ACCEPTED to Windsor yet? Or are they sending out acceptances by mail and rejections by email?

Edited by jenste

Oh no, that's horrible. Let us know what your plan B/C/D is, if I'm in the same boat I will totally be on here discussing job prospects! Did they update your myUWindsor as well? 

Yah my SIS and MyUwindsor was updated to "not admitted" :( 

I was accepted for an accelerated Child and Youth Worker program at a local college, but I'm thinking it might just be best to take the year off to gain volunteer experience as I know that is what I was lacking for my application. The CYW would be great experience to create treatment plans and everything but the placement isn't until the following summer so it wouldn't even count toward my application when I re-apply in January.

Any advice is welcome about what I should do!

So no one has heard from Calgary yet?  Last year they were the first school I heard from.  I'm not sure what is going on there right now, but even without this I was getting the feeling that they are a bit disorganized at the moment.

I am also waiting impatiently.  The graduate studies secretary returned my email last week and said that they will have notifications out by the end of April.  So much for the original timeline of the end of March......

Knowing this...I have a feeling I could be waiting all summer for any news. My latest transcripts are currently being processed and sent to the schools I applied to. This is getting quite frustrating and is turning me into the most anxious person I have ever met. I am constantly on edge. It's a weird feeling every time I get an email notification....hoping to see the name 'Laurier' and hoping not to see 'Windsor'. 

p.s. almost 4 months since we submitted applications. ugh. 

I called the school on Wednesday and was told that the first round of admissions decisions had recently been decided and the offers were currently being processed by the admissions department. They will be mailed out early next week at the latest (but also could have been mailed out this past Thursday or Friday).

She only told me about first round offers and did not mention how people who were rejected or waitlisted would be notified. (But based on this website, it seems that some rejections have come through email). She said some people might need to wait a while for an offer as there will be subsequent rounds of offers made depending on how many people accept and decline.

I think they will go through their rounds of offers fairly quickly since most people have already heard back from their schools and will be able to make a quicker decision.

Edited by beth23

I know what you mean. One of the first things I've been doing when I wake up in the morning is checking my mailbox. Even though I will most likely go to Laurier, I'd still like to know what my options are.

Do you have a preference for either school?

Knowing this...I have a feeling I could be waiting all summer for any news. My latest transcripts are currently being processed and sent to the schools I applied to. This is getting quite frustrating and is turning me into the most anxious person I have ever met. I am constantly on edge. It's a weird feeling every time I get an email notification....hoping to see the name 'Laurier' and hoping not to see 'Windsor'. 

Knowing this...I have a feeling I could be waiting all summer for any news. My latest transcripts are currently being processed and sent to the schools I applied to. This is getting quite frustrating and is turning me into the most anxious person I have ever met. I am constantly on edge. It's a weird feeling every time I get an email notification....hoping to see the name 'Laurier' and hoping not to see 'Windsor'.    p.s. almost 4 months since we submitted applications. ugh. 
I feel your pain. I am constantly hoping to receive a phone call from U of T. It's so stressful. I was on vacation last week and was so free from all this. Now it's all I think about.

Well you just might get that offer you're been waiting for sometime this week. You didn't get a rejection email last week, so this is a very good sign in my opinion. :)

Hi everyone,

I hope everyone is well and I hope most of you have gotten into the school of your choice. 

I want to ask everyone their opinion regarding U of T and York's MSW program. I had been admitted to both and trying to decide which school to choose. York was originally my first choice, because of the research framework in the MSW program is what I want to use in my research. Plus, given the fact that they offer such a generous funding for the 2 years, they're making it so attractive to go there. However, since I have been exposed to U of T and its academic environment and location, it seems like the ideal school. U of T has the area of research I am interested as a specialized stream--gerontology. U of T also offered me a slot earlier than York did.

So basically... Should I choose the framework or the specialized stream? Should I choose the name or the funding? Should I choose clinical vs. critical? I want to do a collaborative/diploma in health services and policy research and both schools have this program as well. I am trying to decide which school would offer me the best research experience, best practicum training, and the best education all in all. What do you guys think are the pros and cons of the MSW programs at York and UofT?

Your inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Hi everyone,

I hope everyone is well and I hope most of you have gotten into the school of your choice. 

I want to ask everyone their opinion regarding U of T and York's MSW program. I had been admitted to both and trying to decide which school to choose. York was originally my first choice, because of the research framework in the MSW program is what I want to use in my research. Plus, given the fact that they offer such a generous funding for the 2 years, they're making it so attractive to go there. However, since I have been exposed to U of T and its academic environment and location, it seems like the ideal school. U of T has the area of research I am interested as a specialized stream--gerontology. U of T also offered me a slot earlier than York did.

So basically... Should I choose the framework or the specialized stream? Should I choose the name or the funding? Should I choose clinical vs. critical? I want to do a collaborative/diploma in health services and policy research and both schools have this program as well. I am trying to decide which school would offer me the best research experience, best practicum training, and the best education all in all. What do you guys think are the pros and cons of the MSW programs at York and UofT?

When I had to decide, I went where I got funding. Having no extra debt is huge. Both Uoft and York are well respected as are all MSW programs in Canada. I chose York because my own experience has all been clinical and I wanted to expand and be challenged. Having spoken with people in the field, both schools will provide equal opportunity for the placement of your choice.

As I understand it, the streams at UofT are a specialization but the accreditation of the program as a whole is a general one like that of York. The choice will be mostly centered on clinical vs critical. York is very critical which for me, is key. UofT is very clinical which you may like.

Don't go into debt if you can avoid it. An MSW will be an MSW regardless of where it was obtained when you apply for a job.

Good luck! Whatever choice you make will be the right one!

Hello,

What a tough decision!  Although I don't think you can go wrong choosing either, I would go with U of T.  My reasoning is that although York funding is really attractive, it is not something you can put on your resume like you can with a specialization. Also, if funding is an issue, U of T offers many, many scholarship opportunities. There are also a variety of placement opportunities and if you are eyeing a hospital placement, U of T has tons of those.  Finally, you cannot beat the name recognition of U of T.

My feeling is also that a lot of your learning will be self-directed.  Just because York explicitly names your area of interest, that in no way means that you cannot achieve that same learning at U of T.  However, having said all of that (like a recruiter for U of T! lol) York is also a very well respected school and there is no shame in going there. Really, I'm not sure that either school will actually deliver on everything they promise in their brochures. It is up to you to seek out and get the education you desire and this can be done at either school.

Hi everyone,

Hello,

What a tough decision!  Although I don't think you can go wrong choosing either, I would go with U of T.  My reasoning is that although York funding is really attractive, it is not something you can put on your resume like you can with a specialization. Also, if funding is an issue, U of T offers many, many scholarship opportunities. There are also a variety of placement opportunities and if you are eyeing a hospital placement, U of T has tons of those.  Finally, you cannot beat the name recognition of U of T.

My feeling is also that a lot of your learning will be self-directed.  Just because York explicitly names your area of interest, that in no way means that you cannot achieve that same learning at U of T.  However, having said all of that (like a recruiter for U of T! lol) York is also a very well respected school and there is no shame in going there. Really, I'm not sure that either school will actually deliver on everything they promise in their brochures. It is up to you to seek out and get the education you desire and this can be done at either school.

You can definitely name that you received an assistantship and/or scholarship on your resume...

Hi everyone,   I hope everyone is well and I hope most of you have gotten into the school of your choice.    I want to ask everyone their opinion regarding U of T and York's MSW program. I had been admitted to both and trying to decide which school to choose. York was originally my first choice, because of the research framework in the MSW program is what I want to use in my research. Plus, given the fact that they offer such a generous funding for the 2 years, they're making it so attractive to go there. However, since I have been exposed to U of T and its academic environment and location, it seems like the ideal school. U of T has the area of research I am interested as a specialized stream--gerontology. U of T also offered me a slot earlier than York did.   So basically... Should I choose the framework or the specialized stream? Should I choose the name or the funding? Should I choose clinical vs. critical? I want to do a collaborative/diploma in health services and policy research and both schools have this program as well. I am trying to decide which school would offer me the best research experience, best practicum training, and the best education all in all. What do you guys think are the pros and cons of the MSW programs at York and UofT?   Your inputs would be greatly appreciated.
I always go with my gut and instinct. In my opinion they are both fantastic schools. I wish I had applied to York this year as I have heard such excellent things about their program recently. They have a great name in social work and funding is an extra bonus! Maybe think back to why York was your top choice in the beginning? Go with what feels right.

Received a rejection email from McGill :mellow:(at least the waiting is done), forwarded it to one of the board members to help me get a clearer picture of why they did not take me on, felt a little better when she went through the trouble of responding to it (personalized and all, none of that copy paste stuff that some would do).

On a brighter note :)  got an Skype interview request from Mcmaster a day before for a program i think myself a perfect fit.

Does anyone know how i can ready myself for it, what do Canadian schools look out for during these interviews, I would appreciate your insight  B)

Just got an email from Ryerson that I have been rejected for admission...

*Sigh* I guess I won't be going anywhere in September...This has been a very painful and stressful process for me. I did not have a very good year this year, and I had been hoping that getting in somewhere would finally bring a positive light on the year. Guess its back to the game next year!

I know how you feel in regards to the rejection. Second time i am doing this. Let us see what UoT has in store for you. And while you wait, remember, there are still a few more months in the year to go, you never know a great opportunity might knock at your door. Chin up!