Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2013 admissions

FH 2012

Congratulations!!

I don't know what the procedure is for York but according to U of T's website, they do not want you calling around trying to arrange your own placement.  They have a lot of really great placement options.  My understanding is (purely anecdotal, I don't actually know for sure) is that if you want a hospital type placement, U of T has more of those than other universities.  Also, they are just bigger with lots more students (200+ for both advanced standing and the 2 yr compared to York which has less than half that amount).  This isn't to imply that they are 'better', just that they have more connections.

Do you guys know if its possible to arrange your own placement or the schools have to arrange the placement for you?

Also, is there anyone here that goes to York for MSW that can tell us what kind of placements people get?

Thanks so much!!

Congratulations!!

I don't know what the procedure is for York but according to U of T's website, they do not want you calling around trying to arrange your own placement.  They have a lot of really great placement options.  My understanding is (purely anecdotal, I don't actually know for sure) is that if you want a hospital type placement, U of T has more of those than other universities.  Also, they are just bigger with lots more students (200+ for both advanced standing and the 2 yr compared to York which has less than half that amount).  This isn't to imply that they are 'better', just that they have more connections.

Thank you for your reply.

Do you think that UofT can give you better job prospects than York?

I haven't gotten accepted to York yet, but I am just trying to decide which one is better in case I do get accepted

If anyone has been accepted to Wilfrid Laurier's 2 year program and would like to join a facebook group, I just created one today. There are already a few on facebook from past cohorts. This group's called:  

Laurier MSW (2 yr) - Class of 2015

This can be a great place to discuss issues such as housing, transportation/ride shares, orientation, and to become acquainted with your soon-to-be fellow classmates online. 

Hope to see you there!

By the way, this is closed group. All you need to do is go on facebook, send a request to join and I'll add you on. :)

Thank you for your reply.

Do you think that UofT can give you better job prospects than York?

I haven't gotten accepted to York yet, but I am just trying to decide which one is better in case I do get accepted

I can only speak indirectly to this question but I work alongside several UofT MSW grads. I only have by BSW and we have the same jobs (and same pay). It's not the school that provides prospects upon graduation, rather the experience one has. Any social work school in Canada is a great school. The decision is best made based on "fit" the school has with your own objectives.

That said, UofT is very clinical with specializations while York is more macro/community focused and accredited as a generalist degree.

For those accepted into U of T's 2-year MSW, when is the deadline to accept your offer?
I received my acceptance from u of t last Monday and my offer said I have 4 weeks to accept/decline.... I'm waiting to hear from York to accept - hopefully they will put out offers/rejections in the next 3 weeks!!

For all of those waiting on York... just found this very recent update on their Twitter account: (i will now be obsessively checking my myfile account! lol)

1. . @bookluver1965 Offers usually take Admissions a day or two to process. MyFile is updated instantly. Letters then mailed.

2. . @bookluver1965 The plan is to make a first round of offers, in the two-year MSW program, today.

For all of those waiting on York... just found this very recent update on their Twitter account: (i will now be obsessively checking my myfile account! lol)

1. . @bookluver1965 Offers usually take Admissions a day or two to process. MyFile is updated instantly. Letters then mailed.

2. . @bookluver1965 The plan is to make a first round of offers, in the two-year MSW program, today.

I don't understand what's going on. Is it just me? I applied for the 1 year MSW program at York and Ryerson and haven't heard anything back at all. No mail, no email, no MyFile update, nothing. I've called as well and received no help. I know Ryerson is still to make decisions and that's fine, but York is killing me here. Has anyone heard anything about the 1 year program? I read a while back that someone got in, but since then I haven't come across anything else...

....starting to panic here....

Update: Ok. Got through to York's social work department and they have sent out offers in the mail throughout this month I guess. MyFile should update automatically in regards to declines and acceptances, so I guess no news is good news then. Ugh....starting to really become anxious...

Edited by scotto123

Just received an admissions package from Ryerson for the advanced standing program. Check your mail!

I just moved....so I don't know if it's at my new or old address. AND I'm out of town. This is the WORST.

Thanks for the info!!

Edited by scotto123

I just moved....so I don't know if it's at my new or old address. AND I'm out of town. This is the WORST.

Thanks for the info!!

I moved as well and changed my address on the website. Alas, It went to my old address  (luckily my parents still live there though). Best of luck!

Just received an admissions package from Ryerson for the advanced standing program. Check your mail!

I'm so nervous to check the mail! I won't get my mail till after 5 today...what can I expect if it's an admissions package?

For some reason, I don't believe York's update.  They've been claiming that they would be releasing decisions since end of March, so I would not be surprised if first round offers were not made today.

Hi Erin123,

I did outreaching and social justice education to youth, women, and workers in my community. My experience is mostly in the collective setting, where discussions and education on social issues are huge parts of realizing the different kinds of oppression and marginalization experienced by many immigrant communities.

That sounds like an amazing experience! Why organization were you invoked with? I would be interested in participating in something similar.

I don't get what you mean here... Do you mean Windsor has converted the grades from your school into their grading system?

My final marks are almost all calculated now....where are you Windsor???!

No I was just making a general statement that my marks at my current school are almost finalized and I haven't heard anything from Windsor yet. 

That's all :)

I don't get what you mean here... Do you mean Windsor has converted the grades from your school into their grading system?

If anyone has been accepted to Wilfrid Laurier's 2 year program and would like to join a facebook group, I just created one today. There are already a few on facebook from past cohorts. This group's called:  

Laurier MSW (2 yr) - Class of 2015

This can be a great place to discuss issues such as housing, transportation/ride shares, orientation, and to become acquainted with your soon-to-be fellow classmates online. 

Hope to see you there!

By the way, this is closed group. All you need to do is go on facebook, send a request to join and I'll add you on. :)

could you please post a link? thanks

For some reason, I don't believe York's update.  They've been claiming that they would be releasing decisions since end of March, so I would not be surprised if first round offers were not made today.

That was me tweeting (bookluver1965). I'm not overly confident either that we're going to hear soon.My experience last year was that no matter who you asked at York or whenever you asked, they were always "just" about to send the results out. Last year, it wasn't until late-May that I was notified I was on the waiting list. I think my status was updated on MyFile sometime in August. 

I'm so nervous to check the mail! I won't get my mail till after 5 today...what can I expect if it's an admissions package?

I have no idea! I didn't open it myself but apparently there are multiple papers inside so i'm assuming it's a big envelope. 

I have no idea! I didn't open it myself but apparently there are multiple papers inside so i'm assuming it's a big envelope.

Nothing in the mail for me :(

That great scotto123. Congrats! Will you end up going here or are you waiting to get into another school?

Same here....

***Update: Mail was at my old address....I got accepted to Ryerson!!!!

That great scotto123. Congrats! Will you end up going here or are you waiting to get into another school?

I have to hear back from York still and I'm waitlisted at U of T, and Carleton. Ultimately, my first choice is Carleton but the student limit is 25 and I doubt the wait list will move. Ryerson is a good school and I like the AOP approach to social work. I know York operates on the same approach, so if I get accepted to both then I'll have to really consider it. 

Thanks! It has been a very stressful time for all of us I'm sure, but now that something is final, it is a HUGE weight lifted off my shoulders. 

This message board has been a great resource for me!