Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2013 admissions

FH 2012

Jax14, I know how you feel.  Last year I was rejected by all 3 schools I applied to.   It is completely demoralizing and embarrassing to not get in. It rips apart your sense of pride in your accomplishments and makes you question if you really are 'worthy' of higher education.   I also have my BSW and over 10yrs of solid full time social work experience.  Although it felt awful to get rejected, I was honest with myself and knew that I was lacking in a specific area and if I worked on it, I stood a much better chance of getting in.

Over the next few days/weeks/months once you have had a chance to process what has happened, I sincerely hope that you don't give up and instead call up your schools and ask how you can improve your application.  As hard as it is, don't take it personally.  As you can see from this forum, many very qualified people have gotten rejected/waitlisted.  

Also, Jax please take a step back and look at the situation as it is.  You have one waitlist and you are still waiting to hear back from Ryerson.  The waitlist from UofT should tell you that you ARE a great candidate. Unfortunately you were shut out because there just aren't enough spots for every qualified person.  Also, it is not a catastrophe to not get in. You will get a job in social work (if you don't have one already) and you will become a much stronger candidate just by accumulating more experience.   Honestly Jax (and anyone else who feels like it is the end of the world to get rejected), this is just one disappointment. In the larger scheme of things, you will win some and lose some--that is life.  As you get older you will realize that everything happens for a reason and everything has a way of working out for the best no matter what.

I hope you do not read this as me minimizing your disappointment and hurt.  I honestly know where you are coming from. I just hope that you don't throw away 4 hard years of university over one lousy application cycle. It isn't worth it...not even for a second.

I feel like such a failure :( I went through four years of school to get my BSW, I can't get into my MSW, and I can't even find a job. Starting to consider changing career choices all together!

MSW13,

You are right about that.  A prof at my school and author of a book on applying to grad school did an informal study by asking 20 of his grad students why they think they got in - and almost all of them gave the wrong reasons.

But I based my comment on this website from U of T:

http://www.artsci.utoronto.ca/current/forms-services/crncr

I'll just cut and paste the part I'm talking about here:

Why should a student NOT consider the CR/NCR option? (CR/NCR means dropping a course)

If you think you may need to provide your grades in any or all of your courses for professional/graduate school applications or other reasons in the future, you should NOT choose the CR/NCR option.

In addition, it could have also been due to one of my references. She submitted my U of Vic reference 2 months late, after the committee had already looked at my application so it was considered incomplete. She also forgot that she had to write my reference for U of T and did it the day it was due. (I only noticed because U of T is electronic and I could see it wasn't submitted). While she said she'd give a glowing reference, she's never written one before and I suspect she isn't aware of how to write a strong one for grad school. Needless to say, for all the other applications, I used other references. 

CR/NCR is not technically a dropped course. You still have to do the coursework in order to get the CR designation. I am an undergraduate at UofT and did it for two courses and actually received a couple of 90s on some of the assignments (unfortunately). a NCR is considered a failed course. CR just means the school will never officially release your final mark and it won't affect your GPA. I've heard mixed reviews on how this affects admissions for graduate school but I know a few people who did it and are planning on going to law school. I don't think UofT cares so much because they take your best 4 or 5 senior level credits and don't actually look at all of your courses. Windsor on the other had, looks at all of them I think, so I'm not sure how they would view it. 

I think everything is so subjective. Honestly, I put so much work into my Laurier application because I had more time and my UofT one was pretty terrible and I decided to apply last minute. I didn't get accepted into either but for some reason UofT wait-listed me. I was incredibly surprised considering I lack much experience and my personal statement had a couple of grammatical errors. 

I'm thinking it was my high grades that got me on the wait-list. I also have some personal experience with mental illness so I'm wondering if that might have worked in my favour. Who knows. 

Either way, I think everyone on this forum is extremely dedicated and even though I do not know any of you, I'm so proud for everyone who received acceptance somewhere. It's a huge accomplishment, considering how competitive this field is becoming! 

Well who knows what the reason was for getting rejected. My school does not have this option that you are describing. You can either keep the course or drop it by a deadline that's 2/3 into the semester with a code indicating that it was dropped. 

I dropped 7 courses while I was still trying to figure out what I wanted to major in. Then after settling into my major I dropped 3 additional courses for various reasons. So maybe they had doubts about me completing the program on time and on schedule.

Who knows.

CR/NCR is not technically a dropped course. You still have to do the coursework in order to get the CR designation. I am an undergraduate at UofT and did it for two courses and actually received a couple of 90s on some of the assignments (unfortunately). a NCR is considered a failed course. CR just means the school will never officially release your final mark and it won't affect your GPA. I've heard mixed reviews on how this affects admissions for graduate school but I know a few people who did it and are planning on going to law school. I don't think UofT cares so much because they take your best 4 or 5 senior level credits and don't actually look at all of your courses. Windsor on the other had, looks at all of them I think, so I'm not sure how they would view it. 

Hey! I was accepted to Orillia... Congrats on Thunder Bay!! they only take 25 people up there so you must have impressed them. I know we're not on the same campus but I would love to join a fb group. Let me know if you start one :)

That's awesome! I just created the group it's called Lakehead University HBSW Program Students if you want to join it, and if anyone else you know is going to either Orillia or Thunder Bay feel free to tell them about it as well so we can swap info, resources, questions etc. :)

I just received my package from U of T... got accepted... whew! thank goodness... congratulations to everyone who got accepted... those who were waitlisted, good luck and i hope that the odds are in your favour. 

this forum has been very therapeutic for me... 

Dannika.Star,

You sound like a very strong candidate. Grades are worth 40% so your GPA should really bolster your ranking. I would be very surprised if you did not get in. Best of luck! 

Thanks! I ended up getting in at the Thunder Bay Campus! I see you were accepted to Laurier and Lakehead. Which do you plan on going to? I have created a facebook group for those attending Lakehead, if interested. It's titled Lakehead University HBSW Program Students. Best of luck!

Thanks and congrats on getting into your program of choice. My first choice was always to do a 2 yr MSW so I'll be attending Laurier in the fall. I was accepted into the Orillia campus at Lakehead so they'll be an extra spot for someone else on the wait list.

Have a great year at Lakehead. It's only 2 1/2 months away.   

Thanks! I ended up getting in at the Thunder Bay Campus! I see you were accepted to Laurier and Lakehead. Which do you plan on going to? I have created a facebook group for those attending Lakehead, if interested. It's titled Lakehead University HBSW Program Students. Best of luck!

Hi All,

I have been following this blog for sometime now and it has given me so much information over the time, I think the information here is very useful for anyone applying or planning to apply in the future (of course I only saw the blog after I applied hence I didnt get to use any of the tips from this blog).

I wanted to ask a question, perhaps there are few members here that might have an answer to that. I am wondering if your ROSI (for U of T applicants/ students already) changed after the decision on your application. It did for me it went from being nothing there to to being invited to 2Yr MSW for 2013 Fall / Winter ! (FYI my application itself says decision made as well)

I am tired of all the waiting like most of you and a bit anxious too, I live in New Brunswick (and as it is mail sometimes has a way of being delivered to the wrong house etc around where I live on occasion,) so I am just thinking my decision letter is on its way but it will take a bit longer than for people who live in Ontario.

I thank you all in advance to the responses.

Edited by admdon

Hi All,   I have been following this blog for sometime now and it has given me so much information over the time, I think the information here is very useful for anyone applying or planning to apply in the future (of course I only saw the blog after I applied hence I didnt get to use any of the tips from this blog).   I wanted to ask a question, perhaps there are few members here that might have an answer to that. I am wondering if your ROSI (for U of T applicants/ students already) changed after the decision on your application. It did for me it went from being nothing there to to being invited to 2Yr MSW for 2013 Fall / Winter ! (FYI my application itself says decision made as well)   I am tired of all the waiting like most of you and a bit anxious too, I live in New Brunswick (and as it is mail sometimes has a way of being delivered to the wrong house etc around where I live on occasion,) so I am just thinking my decision letter is on its way but it will take a bit longer than for people who live in Ontario.   I thank you all in advance to the responses.
Admdon, Sounds like you've been accepted! I received my package in the mail yesterday, my SGS status still says decision make but my ROSI says invited to msw 2 year! Congrats!!!

Hello admdon,

My status in the application portal changed last monday from 'Under Review' to 'Decision Made'. I just checked the ROSI website and my status states 'Invited'. So if you haven't received your package, and you have been invited, it is more than likely that you have been offered admission to to the program. All the best.

Hi All,

I have been following this blog for sometime now and it has given me so much information over the time, I think the information here is very useful for anyone applying or planning to apply in the future (of course I only saw the blog after I applied hence I didnt get to use any of the tips from this blog).

I wanted to ask a question, perhaps there are few members here that might have an answer to that. I am wondering if your ROSI (for U of T applicants/ students already) changed after the decision on your application. It did for me it went from being nothing there to to being invited to 2Yr MSW for 2013 Fall / Winter ! (FYI my application itself says decision made as well)

I am tired of all the waiting like most of you and a bit anxious too, I live in New Brunswick (and as it is mail sometimes has a way of being delivered to the wrong house etc around where I live on occasion,) so I am just thinking my decision letter is on its way but it will take a bit longer than for people who live in Ontario.

I thank you all in advance to the responses.

anyone hear back from Ryerson yet? (Advanced standing)

I was accepted back in mid-March. I gave up the spot just recently after initially accepting the offer so hopefully it means good news for someone on here.

Hi, everyone!

I cannot believe that I did not know about this forum at all until now. it would been so much helpful if I knew this like a year ago.. haha

Anyway, I finally got an acceptance package from U of T today! I am reading over the previous posts and congrats to everyone who got accepted, and good luck to those who are waitlisted... 

One question for anyone who got accepted, did you guys also apply for the OGS back in January (Ontario Graduate Scholarship)? 

I was little confused about this cause the acceptance package does not mention anything about the OGS...  (I got accepted from different university for  another program and it says about scholarship right in the acceptance letter) 

Anyway, best of luck and finally nice to meet you all~

I'm looking forward to going back to school and starting a new career. So glad it worked out in the end. See you in September!

wow....I agree that each school is looking for a best "fit".... I also have an A average and 3.5 years experience.... I couldn't believe I was rejected by UoT which was my first choice.... am not sure if it was my PS cos I wasnt really confident on that but you are right... we both should be proud of our accomplishments for getting into Laurier.... I guess I will be seeing you in the fall then... :)

Hey Everyone,

I've been following this forum for a while, and have learned so much! Congrats to everyone who got accepted and good luck to those who haven't heard yet! I am an east coaster and have gotten in to Saint Thomas University (NB) for a 1.5 yr post degree BSW and Lakehead Orillia for the 1 yr BSW. Not sure where I should go. I would love to join the lakehead fb group ^^ but I can't find it on FB. Perhaps you could post the link for me Dannika_Star? 

Anybody have any input on these two schools? 

Hi there & congrats on your acceptance!!

I applied for OGS but they didn't say anything about it in my package....It says on the OGS application site that we will find out via email by June. Hope this helps!

Hi, everyone!

I cannot believe that I did not know about this forum at all until now. it would been so much helpful if I knew this like a year ago.. haha

Anyway, I finally got an acceptance package from U of T today! I am reading over the previous posts and congrats to everyone who got accepted, and good luck to those who are waitlisted... 

One question for anyone who got accepted, did you guys also apply for the OGS back in January (Ontario Graduate Scholarship)? 

I was little confused about this cause the acceptance package does not mention anything about the OGS...  (I got accepted from different university for  another program and it says about scholarship right in the acceptance letter) 

Anyway, best of luck and finally nice to meet you all~

We need a Wilfrid Laurier MSW Facebook page, too. I'm not a techie, but I'll look into putting one together this weekend and post the info here. (If someone would like to go ahead and create one before the weekend, feel free to do so).  :) 

Not 100% sure but the results page says someone received a response from the York Program via website (mines not updated), but I guess thats a heads up to those waiting for York- maybe they are on time...

Congrats on getting in! While I can't comment on either program as I don't know much about either school, some things you might want to consider are:

-location (Do you want to visit home on occasion and which school is closer? Do you prefer living in a town or small city? )

-transportation (If you don't have a car, how frequent and efficient is public transportation in each location? With internships and classes, you will be travelling a lot).

-cost (St.Thomas might cost more because the program is longer. You can also look into average rental costs for each location).

-classroom size (Do you prefer smaller or bigger class sizes? A smaller or bigger campus?)

-number of internships and ability to get the kind you want in your area of interest (Some schools allow you to choose your internship or give recommendations while might pick one for you)

-services the schools offers (library, gym, residence, job placement assistance after graduation, etc...)

-rate of employment of grads (but keep in mind geography is also involved so the numbers might not accurately reflect the reputation of the school).

You might also want to read the MacLeans annual university ratings and see what each university is best known for. But it were up to me, I'd go for the shortest program for sure. The sooner you finish school the sooner you can start working in the field. But that's just my opinion.  

Hey Everyone,

I've been following this forum for a while, and have learned so much! Congrats to everyone who got accepted and good luck to those who haven't heard yet! I am an east coaster and have gotten in to Saint Thomas University (NB) for a 1.5 yr post degree BSW and Lakehead Orillia for the 1 yr BSW. Not sure where I should go. I would love to join the lakehead fb group ^^ but I can't find it on FB. Perhaps you could post the link for me Dannika_Star? 

Anybody have any input on these two schools? 

Edited by jenste

Thanks, it helps a lot..

I guess we have to wait for OGS again... lol

Good luck with your OGS application too~!! 

Hi there & congrats on your acceptance!!

I applied for OGS but they didn't say anything about it in my package....It says on the OGS application site that we will find out via email by June. Hope this helps!

Edited by mlbsport

I just received my package from U of T... got accepted... whew! thank goodness... congratulations to everyone who got accepted... those who were waitlisted, good luck and i hope that the odds are in your favour.

this forum has been very therapeutic for me...

Hello, congrats on you acceptance!! Can you specify what type of experiences you have?