Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2013 admissions

FH 2012

End of the month...

Someone on this forum who called last week said that Windsor said two weeks from then :( so I was hoping for sure next week!

Boooo.

Same! I was still holding out for this week too because that's when they were sent out last year but I'm more than sure that they received many more applications this year than usual. Also hoped they would have a better idea by this time than just "end of the month". 

Haha, you're not badgering me! To add to my last post, I talked to one of my Lakehead classmates today, and she thinks that Lakehead Thunder Bay actually admits less students than Orillia, she applied to both, but was only accepted in Orillia (even though she did her undergrad at the Thunder Bay campus). She thought that it was due to fewer placement opportunities. 

In terms of placement location, most of the people in my class had them in their home communities. I had some classmates from the East coast who were able to get placements there, someone else had a placement in Nunavut. But yes, there were several students who had placements in Toronto and the GTA. I went ahead and asked a social worker I knew if she would supervise me, prior to starting the course, then just passed her information onto the field placement co-ordinator, which worked well for me. For some students, the co-ordinator had a hard time finding someone who was interested in supervising a student, in the location/organization/field they identified as an interest to them.

Thanks for the input!
It's helpful to know that the social work program is run out of the community centre. I originally made Orillia my first choice because it's closer, but lately I'm leaning toward Thunder Bay... To your knowledge, did many people do their placement outside of Orillia? In particular, did anyone find placements in Toronto? Just curious how difficult it may be finding a placement in a city since the program has more of a rural focus.
Sorry for badgering you with questions! Your help is much appreciated :)

Hope you don't mind me jumping in!  I am completing my HBSW at Lakehead Orillia and the whole program has relocated to the main campus.  The facilities are nice but I miss being in the downtown core, where everything was accessible within walking distance.  I highly recommend the program by the way!  The professors I had are of superb quality and really know their stuff.  The only downside with the program IMO are the online courses, which you have to do for some of your electives, and the limited number of social work electives available.  The online courses are meant to give students flexibility to complete their electives while on placement in the winter semester.  I didn't mind them, but I would rather do my electives in a classroom setting.

I agree with Karlie regarding placements.  I thought the field coordinator did a great job in securing placements for students in their communities, with consideration to the students' area(s) of interest.  I can't speak to how it will be in the future because the school is expecting a new coordinator for the upcoming year.

Haha, you're not badgering me! To add to my last post, I talked to one of my Lakehead classmates today, and she thinks that Lakehead Thunder Bay actually admits less students than Orillia, she applied to both, but was only accepted in Orillia (even though she did her undergrad at the Thunder Bay campus). She thought that it was due to fewer placement opportunities. 

In terms of placement location, most of the people in my class had them in their home communities. I had some classmates from the East coast who were able to get placements there, someone else had a placement in Nunavut. But yes, there were several students who had placements in Toronto and the GTA. I went ahead and asked a social worker I knew if she would supervise me, prior to starting the course, then just passed her information onto the field placement co-ordinator, which worked well for me. For some students, the co-ordinator had a hard time finding someone who was interested in supervising a student, in the location/organization/field they identified as an interest to them.

Hi!

I have been following this board religiously since it was created. Thought I would jump in now since, the wait has been so long! I am waiting for U of T and York. According to Angela, they will all be mailed out by Canada Post on Monday! I was actually wondering if anyone has applied to Dalhousie's BSW advanced online program last year. If its hard to get in? When did they send the letters was it through mail or postal!

I REALLY want to get into U of T but I am not sure where I stand! Everyone seems like some stiff competition in here! I am a Public Policy and Criminal Justice Major and a Psychology Minor with a 86% overall average and a 90 in two stats courses. I have participated in One Community Engaged Research Project and did complete Crisis Intervention Training at a Crisis Centre. Apart from that I volunteer at a high school (more generally) and I am a Peer Mentor with Big Sister. As much as I would have liked to do more this year, I have been in school full time and have a little one so its been quite an adventure!

I decided to join everyone in the wait!

Welcome Lina! When did Angela tell you it would be mailed out on Monday? I've heard her say that before but the date seems to be getting pushed further away (I called yesterday).

I had sent her an email which she responded to I think on Thursday, saying they would be sent out by Canada Post Monday Morning. Gathering you called her yesterday, did she say differently?

LOL, i am in the middle of my final exams and the wait is killing me I am on here more than I seem to be studying lol and bad news would not be fun the morning of one either!

I actually applied to Dalhousie's online BSW last year (for a fall 2012 start) and I was rejected.

I received the rejection letter in the mail.

Hi!

I have been following this board religiously since it was created. Thought I would jump in now since, the wait has been so long! I am waiting for U of T and York. According to Angela, they will all be mailed out by Canada Post on Monday! I was actually wondering if anyone has applied to Dalhousie's BSW advanced online program last year. If its hard to get in? When did they send the letters was it through mail or postal!

I REALLY want to get into U of T but I am not sure where I stand! Everyone seems like some stiff competition in here! I am a Public Policy and Criminal Justice Major and a Psychology Minor with a 86% overall average and a 90 in two stats courses. I have participated in One Community Engaged Research Project and did complete Crisis Intervention Training at a Crisis Centre. Apart from that I volunteer at a high school (more generally) and I am a Peer Mentor with Big Sister. As much as I would have liked to do more this year, I have been in school full time and have a little one so its been quite an adventure!

I decided to join everyone in the wait!

Edited by Thumper86

Ha...that's funny considering you got a better offer from Laurier instead.

I actually applied to Dalhousie's online BSW last year (for a fall 2012 start) and I was rejected.

I received the rejection letter in the mail.

Ya the online BSW was my backup so I'm glad I was accepted to Laurier lol. It just shows how subjective the admissions process is.

Ya the online BSW was my backup so I'm glad I was accepted to Laurier lol. It just shows how subjective the admissions process is.

Lol thats interesting....very subjective indeed!

U of C anyone? I can't believe this....  Well, I can, but,,, I don't want to ... ugh. Totally have decided I didn't get in.

I haven't heard either, and I'm just about ready to explode.  I applied to the Leadership in Human Services Track  - and you?

Applied:  UVic, McMaster, U of Calgary, Dalhousie

Waitlisted:  UVic, McMaster

Accepted:  Dalhousie

Attending:

It's been a while since I last posted here. But I just want to extend my congratulations to those people who've all been admitted to an MSW program. 

I am getting really nervous about my application since all of you have amazing experiences and gpa to back up your applications. hopefully mine was good enough. 

SO i guess later today, U of T will be mailing out the admission decisions. Hoping that we all make it through.  :) 

But just a question: Have your Application status changed in the U of T online application portal? mine still says under review, which makes me really really worried... :/

all the best to us!

Mine shows "Decision made" but this has only been the case after I mailed my confirmation letter and a $150 deposit.

But just a question: Have your Application status changed in the U of T online application portal? mine still says under review, which makes me really really worried... :/

all the best to us!

I agree with Kreamy. The status is updated well after you have been notified via snail mail. Also, even if it does say 'decision made', it will not tell you what that decision is, just that it has been made. So really, you would still end up waiting until you get the letter in the mail anyway.

It's been a while since I last posted here. But I just want to extend my congratulations to those people who've all been admitted to an MSW program. 

I am getting really nervous about my application since all of you have amazing experiences and gpa to back up your applications. hopefully mine was good enough. 

SO i guess later today, U of T will be mailing out the admission decisions. Hoping that we all make it through.   :)

all the best to us!

I called U of T this morning and Angela said all offers were mailed out on Thursday and Friday of last week.  I guess depending where people are in the city or provinces, we should be finding out VERY soon :|

Mine still say under review. Sigh. I don't know why they don't update it electronically. Up until now, the application process has been great at U of T. It was so convenient to apply online - for both me and my references. I don't understand why they insist on paper responses. What if it gets lost?

Since I work evenings and am often out in the afternoon, I won't be getting my letter until midnight. This is the last letter that I really care about, since Laurier is my second choice. I can't wait. I just want to know where I'll be going so I can find a place to live.

SO i guess later today, U of T will be mailing out the admission decisions. Hoping that we all make it through.   :)

all the best to us!

Hi everyone,

If you live in the Toronto area, I would check your mail! I received an admissions package from U of T this morning!

Good luck!!!

Congratulations af88!  Must be a relief to finally get a response!

Hi,

I've also been reading this forum religiously. Thank you for everyone's input and support!

I was wondering, what did the UofT package look like?!

The mail hasn't arrived  for me yet!

Hi everyone,

If you live in the Toronto area, I would check your mail! I received an admissions package from U of T this morning!

Good luck!!!

Edited by dub13

Hi everyone,

I cannot believe I was going through such a stressful process alone while there was such a great group here all this time!!

My status also says under review. I wonder if they have mailed ALL of the applications. Wouldn't they update the application status if they mailed the responses already? I really hope mine is on its way to my mailbox today.. I'm all stressed out! Good Luck everyone! 

Thanks guys!! It is such a relief....it came in a large brown envelope :) There is a folder inside with the letter and all other required info.

I live in the area so I figure that is why it came so quickly! 

Wishing you the best of luck!