Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2013 admissions

FH 2012

Wait-listed for U of T. Was anyone who was accepted to U of T rejecting their offer?

I am currently doing a research methods course online (I didn't take one in undergrad as my major was legal studies and it wasn't required). Do you think it's best that I finish this course as soon as possible so that if a spot opens up and they review my file they have the mark for this course?

Anyone know when we should hear from York or Windsor? 

Hi everyone! I was accepted to the 2 year program at U of T and will likely be rejecting the offer to do my MPH instead. Good luck to everyone!!!

ahh, good luck! Hopefully you hear by tomorrow - The uncertainty is the hardest part! I also got into Laurier and it got to the point where I had accepted that that is where I'd be going - it is a great option, but I understand hoping for U of T...it was a relief because my husband is a student in Toronto, so this just makes everything easier for the both of us! 

Hope it is good news that you hear tomorrow...either way, you will end up a a social worker and doing what you are passionate about, so you are in a great position :) 

OK, that's good to know. Considering they had 1000 applicants I guess they are still updating their files. While I really hope I'll get in, it won't be the end of the world if I don't since I got in to Laurier already.

Just got home and saw the small white envelope waiting for me, so I immediately knew I didn't get in :( but I was waitlisted and it's better than nothing. 

I have a plan B if all fails, the uncertainty kind of blows though. 

Congrats to everyone who got in, and to everyone who is still waiting, have hope! And to everyone who has not gotten in this year, perhaps I'll be seeing you on the forum again next year! :) 

Congrats to everyone who has received an offer! To the rest of us waiting for U of T decisions - don't despair. It sounds as if all decisions have gone out in the mail. Not hearing back today doesn't mean we didn't get in. We'll probably be out of our misery within the next day or two.

Past experience with York suggests it'll probably be another 2 or 3 weeks before we find out from them. 

The wait is almost over :)

Congrats and continued best of luck everyone!  I was accepted today to UofT but will choose Laurier.  A smaller program, with the chance of integrating two streams, the inside-out prison exchange, the possibility of an international practicum and the community setting away from Toronto's downtown (which isn't ideal for me financially, sentimentally nor transportation wise) are the major reasons why.  I think it will be the best place for me to develop into the kind of social worker I'd like to become.  I am so excited to meet all my fellow Laurier 2015's!  

And I hope this will open up a spot for one of you deserving folk! Fingers crossed!

Edited by alterity

Congrats to you on the offers! It sounds like you know what you want and you have made a good decision.

Since we both live in the same city, I am hoping my U of T letter will arrive by tomorrow.

I would also like to live in a smaller place like Kitchener. But at the same time, but I don't like the idea that the placements might not be close to Kitchener and I might need to move during my studies. So I am hoping for U of T, but will also be happy if I end up at WLU because each path leads to becoming a social worker.  :)   

Congrats and continued best of luck everyone!  I was accepted today to UofT but will choose Laurier.  A smaller program, with the chance of integrating two streams, the inside-out prison exchange, the possibility of an international practicum and the community setting away from Toronto's downtown (which isn't ideal for me financially, sentimentally nor transportation wise) are the major reasons why.  I think it will be the best place for me to develop into the kind of social worker I'd like to become.  I am so excited to meet all my fellow Laurier 2015's!  

And I hope this will open up a spot for one of you deserving folk! Fingers crossed!

Edited by jenste

Hey everyone,

Congrats to all of you who got accepted to UofT today!

I got my acceptance package today as well.

I was wondering if any of you know if there are any entrance scholarships at UofT?

Thank you!

In case anyone else gets wait listed at UofT.............75 people are wl. When a spot opens up the committee reviews that 75 files for the best fit.

Hey how did you find out that information?

Congrats to all those who have gotten into a program so far! I am noticing that a few people have noted their acceptance to the HBSW at Lakehead.  Can I ask how you were accepted and when?  

Just curious, how did you find out that there were 1000 applicants?

OK, that's good to know. Considering they had 1000 applicants I guess they are still updating their files. While I really hope I'll get in, it won't be the end of the world if I don't since I got in to Laurier already.

Congrats to all those who have gotten into a program so far! I am noticing that a few people have noted their acceptance to the HBSW at Lakehead.  Can I ask how you were accepted and when?  
Go online to the application portal and a decision might be posted. That's how I found out and they sent an email saying they were trying to post all of the results.

Go online to the application portal and a decision might be posted. That's how I found out and they sent an email saying they were trying to post all of the results.

Oh ok thanks.  I didn't get an email and my status has not changed.  My goodness, the anxiety!

I think she said she called them shortly after that was posted.

Yup. I called today and they told me. 75 people are waitlisted and when a spot opens up the committee sits down to review......none of us are ranked.

Yup. I called today and they told me. 75 people are waitlisted and when a spot opens up the committee sits down to review......none of us are ranked.

Thanks so much for that info. Its a little bit refreshing to hear! I am remaining positive, and acknowlding that the waitlist is a huge accomplishment given the fact only 75 ppl are on it. Good luck to everyone else and for those who have been rejected, it doesn't mean you are a bad student or not good enough. Don't let it discourage you!!! IF anything it will make you a stronger candidate for the next round, cause you are more familiar with the process. I'm graduating this year so I have my ceremony and other life accomplishments to look forward too :)

It's just an average number of applicants from previous years. I couldn't tell you the exact numbers for this year. My friend who applied last year and was put on the waitlist told me, but I'm not sure where she got that info.    

Hi, I also got waitlisted  :(

Was pretty sad about it, but I am going to look at my other options and maybe consider reapplying next year. I am still hoping I will hear positive news for York, but I doubt it since they only accept around 40 applicants. 

Good luck to everyone who got accepted  :D

on my rejection letter, they said they received over 800 applications for the 2 year program....BTW I see you have been accepted to just about all the schools you applied to... congrats! I guess your headache now is where to go?  :D

For those who have been waitlisted for UoT....dont give up just yet....I have seen at least from the results page on this forum that there is a lot of movement....I know having to wait a couple more weeks can hurt but stay positive... i have read here that it may be a  good idea to send a "very very" short email re-emphasizing your continued interest in the program... Good luck! :) BTW it seems am the only one that got rejected on the forum? :(  all am seeing is acceptances and waitlists....

For those who have been waitlisted for UoT....dont give up just yet....I have seen at least from the results page on this forum that there is a lot of movement....I know having to wait a couple more weeks can hurt but stay positive... i have read here that it may be a  good idea to send a "very very" short email re-emphasizing your continued interest in the program... Good luck! :) BTW it seems am the only one that got rejected on the forum? :(  all am seeing is acceptances and waitlists....
You are so kind thank you. And no I have three friends who were rejected. I am sure people are just not talking about it. But you got into Laurier! What a feat!!!

Oh ok thanks.  I didn't get an email and my status has not changed.  My goodness, the anxiety!
Oh I know, this waiting is horrible. They probably haven't gotten through all of the applications yet, good luck! I see you're applying to Windsor do you know when we should be hearing back?

Hi ALL!!,

I just spoke with the coordinator in Admissions at York. She said that files are still "Under Review" BUT the latest we should hear something is in two weeks. She said to keep checking "My File" as that will be updated first and we all will be sent an acceptance or rejection letter via snail mail. I hope this info helps!!

Hi, I also got waitlisted  :(

Was pretty sad about it, but I am going to look at my other options and maybe consider reapplying next year. I am still hoping I will hear positive news for York, but I doubt it since they only accept around 40 applicants. 

Good luck to everyone who got accepted  :D

I agree - York is the most difficult to get into due to high amount of applicants and low acceptance rates :T

I'm still holding out for U of T and haven't received anything yet...not feeling optimistic at this point.