Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2013 admissions

FH 2012

Hey everyone,

Congrats to all of you who got accepted to UofT today!

I got my acceptance package today as well.

I was wondering if any of you know if there are any entrance scholarships at UofT?

Thank you!

Hello,

Congrats on your acceptance! Can you specify what type of experience you have?

anyone hear back from Ryerson yet? (Advanced standing)
I just called Ryerson and was told decisions will be made this week. Somehow I'm not trusting that as someone else posted last week the same thing. If I thought York admin was bad, Ryerson definitely takes the cake!

http://www.facebook.com/groups/148943128612343/?ref=ts&fref=ts

That's the link for the group :) . I also contemplated applying to St. Thomas, but due to the fact that it is 1.5 years and Lakehead is only a year, I chose Lakehead, as well the program looked really good and the campus is beautiful.

Hey Everyone,

I've been following this forum for a while, and have learned so much! Congrats to everyone who got accepted and good luck to those who haven't heard yet! I am an east coaster and have gotten in to Saint Thomas University (NB) for a 1.5 yr post degree BSW and Lakehead Orillia for the 1 yr BSW. Not sure where I should go. I would love to join the lakehead fb group ^^ but I can't find it on FB. Perhaps you could post the link for me Dannika_Star? 

Anybody have any input on these two schools?

Hello Everyone!

I have been following along, and finally decided to speak up!! I got accepted into the 2-year MSW at Laurier, as well as the 1 year HBSW at Lakehead.

After finding out that I was accepted to Laurier, I also got a job as a Support Clerk with the ODSP program. I have accepted this position as I think it will be great experience related to a field I want to get into!

I am saying all this because I see some people are upset that they didn't get into a program or got waitlisted...I just wanted to say that I was in the same situation last year! I was so upset when I didn't get into the MSW programs I applied to (York and UofT), so I completely understand how you feel! Don't give up though! I tried again this year, and expanded the schools I applied to as well! Persistence really can pay off, so as hard as it is, don't give up. Everything starts coming together when you least expect it!

Beautifully said and I couldn't agree more! Congratulations on both your admission and your perseverance, good for you! :)

Hello Everyone!

I have been following along, and finally decided to speak up!! I got accepted into the 2-year MSW at Laurier, as well as the 1 year HBSW at Lakehead.

After finding out that I was accepted to Laurier, I also got a job as a Support Clerk with the ODSP program. I have accepted this position as I think it will be great experience related to a field I want to get into!

I am saying all this because I see some people are upset that they didn't get into a program or got waitlisted...I just wanted to say that I was in the same situation last year! I was so upset when I didn't get into the MSW programs I applied to (York and UofT), so I completely understand how you feel! Don't give up though! I tried again this year, and expanded the schools I applied to as well! Persistence really can pay off, so as hard as it is, don't give up. Everything starts coming together when you least expect it!

Hi Erin123,

Thank you!

My experiences include paid academic research assistantship, paid community research assistantship, community involvement, organizing, and advocacy, university volunteerism, field placement experiences in healthcare, plus some qualifying certifications to a healthcare profession.

Good luck on your applications... 

Hello, congrats on you acceptance!! Can you specify what type of experiences you have?

Hi Erin123,

Thank you!

My experiences include paid academic research assistantship, paid community research assistantship, community involvement, organizing, and advocacy, university volunteerism, field placement experiences in healthcare, plus some qualifying certifications to a healthcare profession.

Good luck on your applications...

Thank you for your response. What type of organizing and advocacy work did you do?

Hello Everyone!

Hi,

I was just curious as to know why you won't be doing your MSW. It sounds like you got a great position but do you feel the MSW won't open more doors for you in the future?

Hello everyone - I got wait listed for U of T as well.  I called the department on Tuesday and was told that they are not disclosing how many applicants are on the waitlist.  That's strange since someone had posted on this forum that they were told there are 75 applicants on the wait list.  Wonder if they had disclosed it initially and are now changing their minds. Anyone else get any other info about the wait list?

Hi,

I've also been waitlisted at U of T for the 2 year MSW program, I was placed on the waitlist last year as well and heard that there was not a whole lot of movement, that being said there were several people who did get off it and into the program. I don't know if it's just me remembering wrong but it seems (at least from this forum) that there are a lot of us on the waitlist, more so than last year. I have also accepted an offer at Western for MA Counselling Psychology, but U of T's MSW was my first choice so I wanted to hold out and see if there's any chance I'll make it off the waitlist this year! Congrats to all those accepted!

Like many others, I have been placed on the U of T's waitlist. At this point it is my only hope, since I was rejected by Western and Laurier earlier this month. Of the (supposed) 75 applicants on the waitlist, it seems like quite a few are on this forum. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one going through this torture! The last couple of days have just been the worst, I have been literally obsessing over numbers... "So there's 190 who have been accpeted to the program ... perhaps 20 will accept other existing offers ... and another 20 will shortly be admitted to other schools, and accept those offers ... plus 5 who will simply decide they don't want to remain on the waitlist for other various reasons ... and another 2-3 that will choose to defer their offers"... lol. I know this rumination is absolutely useless, but somehow it eases my mind.

So for those of you who have been admitted to U of T's 2-year MSW program, it would be greatly appreciated if you would decline your offer. I am just kidding. Obviously those accepted have been admittied for a reason - you all should be extremely proud of yourselves. I am just graduating this year, am still young, and see even the simple making of a waitlist as some kind of accomplishment.

There were 140 accepted I believe. Who knows lol. I mean it is possible there are 75 waitlisted. There have been around 10 or so on here but that could be possible. Especially since waitlisted people are going a bit crazy checking out chances of getting in etc.

Like many others, I have been placed on the U of T's waitlist. At this point it is my only hope, since I was rejected by Western and Laurier earlier this month. Of the (supposed) 75 applicants on the waitlist, it seems like quite a few are on this forum. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one going through this torture! The last couple of days have just been the worst, I have been literally obsessing over numbers... "So there's 190 who have been accpeted to the program ... perhaps 20 will accept other existing offers ... and another 20 will shortly be admitted to other schools, and accept those offers ... plus 5 who will simply decide they don't want to remain on the waitlist for other various reasons ... and another 2-3 that will choose to defer their offers"... lol. I know this rumination is absolutely useless, but somehow it eases my mind.   So for those of you who have been admitted to U of T's 2-year MSW program, it would be greatly appreciated if you would decline your offer. I am just kidding. Obviously those accepted have been admittied for a reason - you all should be extremely proud of yourselves. I am just graduating this year, am still young, and see even the simple making of a waitlist as some kind of accomplishment.

Hi,

I've also been waitlisted at U of T for the 2 year MSW program, I was placed on the waitlist last year as well and heard that there was not a whole lot of movement, that being said there were several people who did get off it and into the program. I don't know if it's just me remembering wrong but it seems (at least from this forum) that there are a lot of us on the waitlist, more so than last year. I have also accepted an offer at Western for MA Counselling Psychology, but U of T's MSW was my first choice so I wanted to hold out and see if there's any chance I'll make it off the waitlist this year! Congrats to all those accepted!

Congrats for getting accepted to the Western MA counselling psychology program. I actually had an interview there, and I was devastated when I found out I wasn't accepted. I'm just wondering what kind of work/volunteer experience you have since you got accepted into that program (if you don't mind sharing)? 

I'm now on the wait-list for the 2-year MSW program at U of T & hoping for the best! 

Congrats for getting accepted to the Western MA counselling psychology program. I actually had an interview there, and I was devastated when I found out I wasn't accepted. I'm just wondering what kind of work/volunteer experience you have since you got accepted into that program (if you don't mind sharing)? 

I'm now on the wait-list for the 2-year MSW program at U of T & hoping for the best! 

Congrats on getting an interview! I was told (at the interview) that only 30 people out of 100 or so applicants got an interview so they clearly saw something in your application that they liked! I have my undergrad in psychology and I also did an undergraduate thesis which I think they liked as we talked about it quite a bit during the interview. However I should note that last year I didn't get into any grad schools (just waitlisted at U of T). I didn't have any idea Western even had a counselling psych program until this year, as it's in the Faculty of Education vs. Social Sciences and I didn't even think to look there! But I think what really helped me out this year is that I got a job working as a Residential Relief worker at Treatment Foster Care, which essentially means I go in and stay with foster children while the foster parents are gone. This really seemed to interest the three Western faculty who were in my interview, as the three of them are currently working together on a research project about foster care. I really do think though that without this extra year of work experience I would not have got in, that said though it still made no difference with U of T so it is definitely very subjective as to what each individual school and program looks for in it's applicants. Fingers crossed you get off the wait list this year! But if you don't (and I know everyone keeps saying this) another year of experience really does make a difference! Best of luck!

Congrats on getting an interview! I was told (at the interview) that only 30 people out of 100 or so applicants got an interview so they clearly saw something in your application that they liked! I have my undergrad in psychology and I also did an undergraduate thesis which I think they liked as we talked about it quite a bit during the interview. However I should note that last year I didn't get into any grad schools (just waitlisted at U of T). I didn't have any idea Western even had a counselling psych program until this year, as it's in the Faculty of Education vs. Social Sciences and I didn't even think to look there! But I think what really helped me out this year is that I got a job working as a Residential Relief worker at Treatment Foster Care, which essentially means I go in and stay with foster children while the foster parents are gone. This really seemed to interest the three Western faculty who were in my interview, as the three of them are currently working together on a research project about foster care. I really do think though that without this extra year of work experience I would not have got in, that said though it still made no difference with U of T so it is definitely very subjective as to what each individual school and program looks for in it's applicants. Fingers crossed you get off the wait list this year! But if you don't (and I know everyone keeps saying this) another year of experience really does make a difference! Best of luck!

Thanks!! Yea, I was told that 149 people applied and they were interviewing 30 for that MA Counselling Program. It seems like you're a really good fit for the program since you have interests in common with the faculty there. I wish you luck in getting off the waitlist for U of T as well! I'm just curious, how come you'd prefer U of T's MSW program over a Counselling program?

Congrats again to everyone accepted to U of T or put on a waitlist. U of T looks like a great school to attend. I am really impressed by their professionalism and efficiency and specialized streams of study.

I've been talking to some students from Laurier and the more I hear about it (ex: some students get internships in areas of absolutely no interest to them or very far away from campus), the more I wish I was accepted at U of T. But I guess it was not meant to be. 

At first I was so excited about my offer to Laurier, but now my enthusiasm has dampened. I glad that I'll get to become a social worker in the end. But there are a few downsides about Laurier that I am not so happy about. Perhaps Windsor will offer me something. Otherwise, I will be attending Laurier and hoping for the best during the internships.

Edited by jenste

There were 140 accepted I believe. Who knows lol. I mean it is possible there are 75 waitlisted. There have been around 10 or so on here but that could be possible. Especially since waitlisted people are going a bit crazy checking out chances of getting in etc.

I think 75 is reasonable. I can't imagine them having any more than 100 on a waitlist because it would just mean more work for them when having to narrow it down a second time if a spot becomes available. I also thought it was weird that a lot of waitlisted people were on this forum though

I got a call from U of T today that a spot has come available, and I was offered admission (1 year MSW). I am so excited!!! I am proof that there is movement on the wait-list, good luck to everyone else!!!

Congrats! What is your background? gpa, experience etc

Thanks! 

I have a BA from Western (Major in Childhood and Social Institutions, Minor in Thanatology) and a BSW from Lakehead. My average has been 80% my last two years of study. I have worked at a hospital for mental health since 2008 (3 years as a summer student, 6 months for a BSW placement, and since June 2012 as a social worker with their Transitional Aged Youth service). I also volunteer weekly at a local homelessness initiative. 

Congrats! What is your background? gpa, experience etc

Thanks! :)

on my rejection letter, they said they received over 800 applications for the 2 year program....BTW I see you have been accepted to just about all the schools you applied to... congrats! I guess your headache now is where to go?  :D