Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2013 admissions

FH 2012

So, if it took this long to get rejected, does that mean I met the basic criteria to be considered? I feel that would be the case, but wanted to ask. Would taking stats improve my chances? I could take an evening summer course I suppose....

Did they send you a rejection letter?

Research is an important course for many MSW programs. I took my course a while ago so I have to ask, is stats rolled into the research course or is it separate all together?  Regardless, if you don't have this course, I highly recommend it since many MSW programs require it.  As well, make sure you get an amazing mark since it can be a deal breaker for some schools (like U of T).  

Have you heard back from all of your schools or are you still waiting? 

So, if it took this long to get rejected, does that mean I met the basic criteria to be considered? I feel that would be the case, but wanted to ask. Would taking stats improve my chances? I could take an evening summer course I suppose....

I remember reading how strong your credentials are and it is such a shame that so many great candidates have been waitlisted.  Are you waiting to hear back from any other school besides York?

My application status for York still says "No decision yet". I don't know if I should be anxious or be relieved that it hasn't changed to "unsuccessful"

Can someone tell me- what is the deadline to accept or reject U of T 2-year MSW? I am trying to get an idea of when they will start reviewing the waitlist. Thank you!

I received my offer in the mail on Monday April 15th. The letter stated that I had four weeks fromt he "date of the offer" to put in my deposit and accept. Then I noticed that the letter was actually dated April 11th.

This would mean that I have until May 9th I believe?

Congratulations!  Even though you're on the waitlist, it is a major accomplishment.  York is very difficult to get into - very few spots with almost the same amount of applicants to U of T so it is definitely worth being proud of - I hope the wait list moves and you get a spot!

What type of experience do you have?

I just got an e-mail that i'm on the waitlist for York but it's better than a rejection. I'm not too confident that the waitlist will move but that was the last school that I was waiting to hear from.

I heard Windsor takes 30 and they got 210 applicants this year. I don't remember where i heard 30 though and I don't see it written on the website so I probably heard it from someone here. 

Thank you very much!! At first I was a bit disappointed because that was my first choice but I now I realise that I have no reason to be disappointed at all. I applied to York not knowing if I was good enough to get in and I was surprised that I got waistlisted. I was honestly expecting to be rejected.

I graduated from York University 6 months ago with an undergraduate degree in Psychology. A- in my last 2 years, A in research (Thesis). I couldn't get a job in social services when I graduated so I work for a medical company right now. I volunteered with children for 6 months, 1 year at a women's shelther assisting social workers, 1.5 and ongoing at the Distress Center as a counsellor, 1 year with individuals who are survivors of sexual assault at York University and 1 year with seniors.

I'm currently working on my plan B just incase I don't get into either York or UFT.

Incredible experience. You should be so proud of yourself regardless of whether you get in or not.

I don't know if anyone here has applied to UBC Okanagan campus' MSW program....

but has anyone heard back yet and if not does anyone know when they will be sending out acceptance emails?

I called the department last week (monday) and was told that they are in the process of making final decisions... so I'm hoping sometime next week :S

Just got an email from Ryerson that I have been rejected for admission...

*Sigh* I guess I won't be going anywhere in September...This has been a very painful and stressful process for me. I did not have a very good year this year, and I had been hoping that getting in somewhere would finally bring a positive light on the year. Guess its back to the game next year!

Just got an email from Ryerson that I have been rejected for admission... *Sigh* I guess I won't be going anywhere in September...This has been a very painful and stressful process for me. I did not have a very good year this year, and I had been hoping that getting in somewhere would finally bring a positive light on the year. Guess its back to the game next year!
You're still waitlisted.

Thank you very much!! At first I was a bit disappointed because that was my first choice but I now I realise that I have no reason to be disappointed at all. I applied to York not knowing if I was good enough to get in and I was surprised that I got waistlisted. I was honestly expecting to be rejected.

I graduated from York University 6 months ago with an undergraduate degree in Psychology. A- in my last 2 years, A in research (Thesis). I couldn't get a job in social services when I graduated so I work for a medical company right now. I volunteered with children for 6 months, 1 year at a women's shelther assisting social workers, 1.5 and ongoing at the Distress Center as a counsellor, 1 year with individuals who are survivors of sexual assault at York University and 1 year with seniors.

I'm currently working on my plan B just incase I don't get into either York or UFT.

Wow that is amazing experience!! I am honestly surprised that you are waitlisted at both York and U of T. You seem like a very well-rounded candidate with experience in a variety of settings with people of all ages. 

Does anyone know how many people they accept to the 2 yr MSW at

UofT:140?

Laurier:100?

York:40?

Windsor:?

Windsor is 30 out of 230 applicants.

Laurier is 90 out of 500 applicants.

Edited by AccioMSW

Thank you and I am! I got a majority of my experience in my last year and it was extremely exhausting. Hopefully we both get off the waitlist for UofT! =)

So sorry to hear about Ryerson! I can imagine how stressful these past few months were for you. Hopefully you get off the waitlist for UofT.

same here!!!!

Does anyone know the schools in Canada that offer a 1 year BSW? So far I have only been able to find Lakehead and University of Waterloo.

I'm on the waitlist for U of T but preparing to have to re-apply next year. I plan to apply to the 2-year MSW again but may also considering applying to the 1 year BSW as well...that way it increases my chances of getting accepted to something and moving forward with my career. I graduated with a 4 year Honours Legal Studies degree from University of Waterloo as an "Academic All-Canadian" (being a varsity athlete and maintaining an 80% average). I have over 2 years of work experience (more if you combine all the hours worked at the jobs together) working as a Respite Care Worker for children with behaviour and mental issues and autism, a Direct Care Worker in a residential treatment program (group home) and at a Youth Secure Custody Facility.

I haven't come across any other schools. There are so many prerequisites for the 1 yr program at Waterloo that it ends up being 2 years, with no guarantees of getting into the program (although it's possible to get a conditional offer). If you are willing to do the U of Waterloo program you might as well apply to other 2 year programs as well (there are a lot of them out there, I believe) because at least you know you'll be allowed to continue and you'll end up with a degree.

Lakehead is convenient because you only need to be at the campus for the first 6 mths and the remaining 6 mths can be done at your home community through a local internship and online courses. There are no prerequisite courses and it takes a total of 12 mths to complete. I've heard of St.Thomas in New Brunswick but I believe the program is 15 mths.

Does anyone know the schools in Canada that offer a 1 year BSW? So far I have only been able to find Lakehead and University of Waterloo.

I'm on the waitlist for U of T but preparing to have to re-apply next year. I plan to apply to the 2-year MSW again but may also considering applying to the 1 year BSW as well...that way it increases my chances of getting accepted to something and moving forward with my career. I graduated with a 4 year Honours Legal Studies degree from University of Waterloo as an "Academic All-Canadian" (being a varsity athlete and maintaining an 80% average). I have over 2 years of work experience (more if you combine all the hours worked at the jobs together) working as a Respite Care Worker for children with behaviour and mental issues and autism, a Direct Care Worker in a residential treatment program (group home) and at a Youth Secure Custody Facility.

Edited by jenste

Best of luck, Beth23. It won't be much longer now. The letters should arrive by the end of next week at the latest.

Getting scared about Windsor....going to send in my latest transcripts to both schools today. 

Thanks, Jenste! The only good thing about all of this is people like you and others on this forum (I know we hear that one a lot but I'm sure we all know it's true!) 

Best of luck, Beth23. It won't be much longer now. The letters should arrive by the end of next week at the latest.