Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2013 admissions

FH 2012

Hey Vana,

Does Western have a 2 yr MSW? I do not seem to find it on their website. The Western website I looked up was the one in London, ON. Just wondering if there is a program out there that I haven't heard about.  

Edited by jenste

Hey Vana,

Does Western have a 2 yr MSW? I do not seem to find it on their website. The Western website I looked up was the one in London, ON. Just wondering if there is a program out there that I haven't heard about.

As far as I know, Western only has a 1 year advanced standing program. I applied for it but was rejected.

Hey Vana,

Does Western have a 2 yr MSW? I do not seem to find it on their website. The Western website I looked up was the one in London, ON. Just wondering if there is a program out there that I haven't heard about.  

Nope, it's just the 1 year program!

If you would like to join the facebook group for the Wilfrid Laurier 2 year MSW program, here is the link:

The group settings are on private. All you need to do is press the "request to join group" button and I'll approve your request.  
Hope to see you there!

could you please post a link? thanks

For anyone waitlisted at Laurier... In 2 weeks the last of the $100 deposits are due from the first round of offers. Then they'll get a sense of how many spots have opened up so they can decide who and how many to take from the waitlist. Best of luck if you were waitlisted!

Edited by jenste

According to this link, someone was rejected by Windsor (2yr MSW) about a month ago by email. I think I'm going to try calling them today to see where they're at with their admission letters. I suspect this person was rejected early because of not meeting the basic admission requirements.

http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=windsor&t=a&o=

Edited by jenste

Yes I noticed this too....seems like they just didn't meet the requirements set by graduate studies. If you call that would be great :) 

According to this link, someone was rejected to Windsor (2yr MSW) about a month ago by email. I think I'm going to try calling them today to see where they're at with their admission letters. I suspect this person was rejected early because of not meeting the basic admission requirements.

According to this link, someone was rejected by Windsor (2yr MSW) about a month ago by email. I think I'm going to try calling them today to see where they're at with their admission letters. I suspect this person was rejected early because of not meeting the basic admission requirements.

Please let us know what they tell you if you end up calling them! By looking at the acceptances/rejections from previous years at Windsor in the "Results Search", I see that April-May is when we should start hearing back from them. 

Are still interested in Windsor even though you have confirmed your attendance to Laurier?? 

I had no choice. I didn't want to lose the spot at Laurier. If I get into Windsor I will consider it.

Are still interested in Windsor even though you have confirmed your attendance to Laurier?? 

Just saw this tweeted out:

Graduate SocialWork@YorkUgradsowk 49m

First round of Two-Year Full-Time MSW offers were processed by admissions today.

It stated previously that MyFile is updated instantaneously and mine hasn't changed, unfortunately.  Congrats to anyone who got accepted!

Edited by happy888

Just saw this tweeted out:

Graduate SocialWork@YorkUgradsowk 49m

First round of Two-Year Full-Time MSW offers were processed by admissions today.

It stated previously that MyFile is updated instantaneously and mine hasn't changed, unfortunately. Congrats to anyone who got accepted!

Edited: Mine just changed to "Reviewed- Unsuccessful"

Edited by PsychologyStudent101

I spoke to the secretary at U of Windsor and she said the first round of admissions decisions has been made. The offers are currently being processed by the admissions department and by late this week or early next week all offers in the first round will be mailed out.  

Edited by jenste

Jumping in for the first time. I was accepted to U of Ts Two Year MSW but just checked my My File for York and it says "Reviewed - Unsuccessful". I find that a bit strange since last year I was waitlisted at York, with less experiences and, in my opinion, weaker credentials. But perhaps the applicant pool has strengthened significantly, such that my application was relatively weak this year.

Anyways, hopefully this spells possible good news for those whose status still says "Decision not made"; it could mean you will be waitlisted or offered admission (and that you haven't been rejected yet).

U of T is my first choice anyways, so I'm ok with this result...just a bit puzzled.

Edited: Mine just changed to "Reviewed- Unsuccessful"

Mine, too. Last year I made it to their waiting list and this year it says unsuccessful.

Frustrating. I have an A- average. Did stats, research and a research apprenticeship. I got 92% on my thesis. Majored in social development studies. Have 20+ years working for welfare, employment insurance, as an advocate for injured workers, as an employment counsellor,  and as a special needs educator. If it's not enough for them, I'm not sure what is. I wonder if my age is a barrier.

This is my 2nd year applying and 2nd year not accepted. I won't be applying again. Clearly, I don't have what they want and I'm not sure what else I can do. 

Ryerson has officially left me in limbo. People have gotten their acceptances already while I have heard NOTHING since I submitted my application in December. If I didn't receive any word yet, is it safe to assume I'm facing a rejection?

Just saw my status in my file and i have been admitted to York MSW 2 year program... Now this is really making me really think about which program would suit me best. I have to really think this through, as my my research interest is offered as a specialization at U of T and York has the professors with the framework i want to work with.. but then social work is a professional program; hence, clinical practicum is essential too. Ugh! I have decisions to make! 

Congrats to everyone who've gotten in and those who are waiting still i hope the odds are in your favor and i hope when i decline one of the slots given to me, i'd brighten someone's day... 

:D 

Mine, too. Last year I made it to their waiting list and this year it says unsuccessful.

Frustrating. I have an A- average. Did stats, research and a research apprenticeship. I got 92% on my thesis. Majored in social development studies. Have 20+ years working for welfare, employment insurance, as an advocate for injured workers, as an employment counsellor,  and as a special needs educator. If it's not enough for them, I'm not sure what is. I wonder if my age is a barrier.

This is my 2nd year applying and 2nd year not accepted. I won't be applying again. Clearly, I don't have what they want and I'm not sure what else I can do. 

I am hoping that it wasn't the age ! Because I can tell you from my experience having already done a graduate degree in another subject, it would be the most boring/least creative class room to be in, where people are exactly the same (in all sorts of things, including thinking; diversity in class room is a very useful thing). We need all types of people in a class room, and I can also tell you, when I was doing my graduate degree some years ago now, I as a 24 yr old found the oldest person in my research group and also the classes (same 55+ yr old person btw), to be most flexible, creative, calm person in the group, I enjoyed working with her. On the other hand, some of the 22-26 yr old's in my classes were very spoiled, blabber mouths that just liked listening to their own voice !

But one does have to wonder though, because your description of your qualifications and experience sound to me like a good match, unless you had really bad references from work/university ? (but i guess if this was the case you wouldn't even get wait-listed)....

Hopefully you do end up getting a spot though as people give up their U of T positions for other universities. Good luck to you and all others on this forum who are still waiting to hear back and are wait listed somewhere.

Edited by admdon

I am hoping that it wasn't the age ! Because I can tell you from my experience having already done a graduate degree in another subject, it would be the most boring/least creative class room to be in, where people are exactly the same (in all sorts of things, including thinking; diversity in class room is a very useful thing). We need all types of people in a class room, and I can also tell you, when I was doing my graduate degree some years ago now, I as a 24 yr old found the oldest person in my research group and also the classes (same 55+ yr old person btw), to be most flexible, creative, calm person in the group, I enjoyed working with her. On the other hand, some of the 22-26 yr old's in my classes were very spoiled, blabber mouths that just liked listening to their own voice !

But one does have to wonder though, because your description of your qualifications and experience sound to me like a good match, unless you had really bad references from work/university ? (but i guess if this was the case you wouldn't even get wait-listed)....

Hopefully you do end up getting a spot though as people give up their U of T positions for other universities. Good luck to you and all others on this forum who are still waiting to hear back and are wait listed somewhere.

Thanks for the kind words! Maybe I will get off the wait list for U of T. But I have been admitted to U of Waterloo's part-time BSW program to start this fall. And that may very well be the best - although longer - path for me. It'll give me more time to save up money in order to take time off to go back full-time to get my MSW. I guess getting into the advanced program will be easier as they seem to accept more applicants.

And I have a consolation prize! I'd already determined that if I don't get into a full-time MSW program this fall, I'll be taking a trip to England in the fall. England is one of my favourite places in the world and I haven't been in 19 years. Something to look forward to!

Congrats to all those who have been accepted. Judging by the posts on this site, I know you're all going to be spectacular social workers and will make the world a better place for us all :)

Laurie,

That is so disappointing, sorry to hear that.  Although it may be an issue in other fields, personally I don't believe that age is a barrier in social work.  As I mentioned in another post, I attended U of T's advanced standing orientation on Monday and the group was incredibly diverse. It was a great mix of older and younger students. I am certain that you would not have been the oldest person in the room by far.  I don't know what the make-up of York's incoming class looks like but I can imagine that it is somewhat similar.

I hope you will be pursuing your BSW in September (if U of T doesn't work out) and try for your MSW a year or two down the road.  Really Laurie, there were several people in the room who were clearly in their 50's. If you work until you are 65, you still have about 20 yrs of work ahead of you.  Don't give up on an MSW, there is still plenty of time and when the moment is right, it will happen.

I spoke to the secretary at U of Windsor and she said the first round of admissions decisions has been made. The offers are currently being processed by the admissions department and by late this week or early next week all offers in the first round will be mailed out.  

Hoping for the end of the week! I wonder if MyUwindsor or SIS will be updated before they are mailed out.

Jumping in for the first time. I was accepted to U of Ts Two Year MSW but just checked my My File for York and it says "Reviewed - Unsuccessful". I find that a bit strange since last year I was waitlisted at York, with less experiences and, in my opinion, weaker credentials. But perhaps the applicant pool has strengthened significantly, such that my application was relatively weak this year.

Anyways, hopefully this spells possible good news for those whose status still says "Decision not made"; it could mean you will be waitlisted or offered admission (and that you haven't been rejected yet).

U of T is my first choice anyways, so I'm ok with this result...just a bit puzzled

I have also been accepted to U of T's 2 year MSW but my York myfile has also told me that I am "unsuccessful",

Also a little puzzled as I did my MA focusing on Equity/Social Determinants of Health, at York which I thought was the style they geared their MSW program towards (also two of my references are profs at York).

BUT I am MORE than happy to accept my offer at U of T!!! This was by far my first choice :)

Good luck to everyone!!!

I'm sorry to hear it didn't work out for you. I read one of your previous posts on your experience and education and I am shocked that you didn't get in, or wait listed in the very least. You look like such a strong candidate. Perhaps when their office workload slows down in the summer you could give them a call and ask for feedback on your application so you know what to work on. 

In your post, I noticed that most of your work experience is related to children. I wonder if they were concerned that you might not  be interested in working with different populations during your internships?? It was just a thought I had. Perhaps if you did some volunteer work with families or another population it might strengthen your application.

Best of luck!

So, if it took this long to get rejected, does that mean I met the basic criteria to be considered? I feel that would be the case, but wanted to ask. Would taking stats improve my chances? I could take an evening summer course I suppose....

Edited by jenste