Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2013 admissions

FH 2012

Same here....

***Update: Mail was at my old address....I got accepted to Ryerson!!!!

Congrats! See you there! 

Am I seriously going to be the only one on this forum to not get accepted anywhere?! Honestly, I've given up and am just looking for work, with plans to reapply next year.

Am I seriously going to be the only one on this forum to not get accepted anywhere?! Honestly, I've given up and am just looking for work, with plans to reapply next year.

I'm sure I'll be joining you in this! Haven't really decided what to do just yet really...

I'm sure I'll be joining you in this! Haven't really decided what to do just yet really...

Unfortunately, I don't feel like I'm going to be accepted anywhere either. I've been looking up multiple volunteer organizations because I've honestly lost hope. Everyone seems to have so much experience and while I do have some experience, I haven't had the extra amount of years everyone else has because I am a younger applicant. If I volunteered so much then I wouldn't have as good of a GPA. It's just very frustrating when people ask me what I'll be doing in September and I don't have an answer for them. I really don't want to take a year off but I might have to just to get more experience. I know later on taking a year off might not seem like a big deal but I really just want to get started on my career path as soon as I can. This is something I've been planning to do for a long time and it's driving me crazy that my plans will probably be put on hold. Hoping for the best for all of us!

I agree, Laurie S.! Their go to answer is always "very soon" or "in the next few days" or "any day now" regardless of when you call or who you speak to. It's sad because you would think they would try to be more honest and transparent.

My friend, who also applied to York's program, called yesterday after that tweet went out and was told that decisions would be sent out by the end of this week or early next week!

Edited by happy888

To everyone who is discouraged: last year I applied to a program and was straight out rejected by every school. I took a year off and surprisingly it happened to be the best year of my life. I got such incredible experience which would not only help me for grad school but to find a job once I completed grad school. Although I've been waitlisted I have hope that I can still get in simply because of the experience I had this year. Don't give up hope and honestly there is no rush into your career. You will be doing it for the rest of your life. Take a rejection as an opportunity.

Very well said! I love how you said, "take a rejection as an opportunity". That is the perfect way to view this process. If you get too wrapped up in 'getting rejected' while hiding in a corner in shame, you are missing a chance to better your chances for next year.  It is so true, you'll be doing this for decades to come. One more year of prep is not going to throw you off the rails. It just feels like that because it seems like everyone else got in somewhere and you feel a bit left behind.  But really, many people have to try at least twice to get accepted. 

Yesterday I attended an orientation session at U of T for advanced standing students.  It was amazing to look around the room and see how diverse the crowd was. Some people were right out of undergrad while others had clearly been in the field for a while.  What this told me is that not everyone is ready to complete their MSW right after undergrad and there is absolutely no shame in this.  You have to be ready for it, both mentally and by experience.  To everyone shut out this year, hang in there! Just because an MSW doesn't happen immediately, that doesn't mean that it will never happen at all.

To everyone who is discouraged: last year I applied to a program and was straight out rejected by every school. I took a year off and surprisingly it happened to be the best year of my life. I got such incredible experience which would not only help me for grad school but to find a job once I completed grad school. Although I've been waitlisted I have hope that I can still get in simply because of the experience I had this year. Don't give up hope and honestly there is no rush into your career. You will be doing it for the rest of your life. Take a rejection as an opportunity.

Couldn't have said it better than DreamingMSW and MSW13. I too got shut out everywhere I applied first time around and this time got accepted everywhere. The rejected feeling sucks so bad but it makes the changes made to your application and subsequent admission that much more rewarding. Good luck to everyone else waiting.

Can you provide some additional info about what you did to improve your chances the second time around, i.e. returned to school to improve GPA, work experience, etc.  Also, what type of work experience do you have?  Thanks!

Couldn't have said it better than DreamingMSW and MSW13. I too got shut out everywhere I applied first time around and this time got accepted everywhere. The rejected feeling sucks so bad but it makes the changes made to your application and subsequent admission that much more rewarding. Good luck to everyone else waiting.

If you really want something you just have to go after it and don't get discouraged. I've been rejected from many things in the past (professional dancing training, an honours program in creative writing, etc) and my heart was broken. If this happens you just need to decide if this is what you really want to do, take an honest look at your weaknesses and strengths as an applicant, and work hard to improve the weak parts of your application.

It took me 8 years to complete my bachelor's degree. I worked full time at a hospital to pay for my studies while studying part time. I have changed more adult diapers than you can count and it certainly wasn't easy work. But in the end, it paid off. Persistence is the key. If your GPA is a bit low, then take some more courses and boost your GPA. Volunteer as a research assistant if you want to attend a research-focused school like U of T and redo your research methods courses and try to get As. If you are lacking in social service experience, work at a summer camp for children with disabilities or do something else to improve your application.

I also believe it's important to apply to many schools, not just one or two. Sometimes you might have great grades and experience, but you may not be perceived as being the right fit for the school. The best way around this is to apply to at least 4-5 schools, if you don't have any compelling reasons to keep you back in the same geographic location. It might be expensive, but it's worth the investment.  

Edited by jenste

Can you provide some additional info about what you did to improve your chances the second time around, i.e. returned to school to improve GPA, work experience, etc.  Also, what type of work experience do you have?  Thanks!

I co-authored a publication (addictions peer-reviewed journal), joined a social research lab with an old professor with another publication in the works and started a social justice research group of my own with a multidisciplinary team of academics/professionals i.e. lawyers and criminology faculty in the development of another publication. I started with a simple email to the professors and academics I got along with and earned good grades in their classes. It was awkward emailing them but I realized it was very common and most professors are seeking free help on their publications.

I also have 5 years experience as a full time case manager with the same organization.

Hope that helps!

Yes, it definitely helps.  What type of organization were you doing case management for?  Thanks for your feedback.

I co-authored a publication (addictions peer-reviewed journal), joined a social research lab with an old professor with another publication in the works and started a social justice research group of my own with a multidisciplinary team of academics/professionals i.e. lawyers and criminology faculty in the development of another publication. I started with a simple email to the professors and academics I got along with and earned good grades in their classes. It was awkward emailing them but I realized it was very common and most professors are seeking free help on their publications.

I also have 5 years experience as a full time case manager with the same organization.

Hope that helps!

Initially when I first applied to grad school last year I only wanted to do a MA in psychology and only applied to one MSW as a backup, BUT the more people I talked to including professors and people in the field (therapists etc.) the more good things I hear about MSW degrees and how they are more versatile and people with them have an easier time finding employment.

I find that I'm in the same boat as you-- at first I thought I only wanted an MA psych degree, but now I'm realizing that an MSW degree can probably provide more job opportunities. Thanks for your reply & I hope you get into your preferred MSW program! :) 

Any recommendations for the job search, since it is highly unlikely I will be able to pursue my MSW now? 

I know of charityvillage.com, workopolis, Indeed, monster...but not much luck! I've sent probably over 100 resumes in the last two months and nothing has come out of it. I'm just not qualified enough to get a job, and I'm not qualified enough to get an MSW. 

I'm so lost and could use any advice I can get! My experience is mainly with seniors, but I have some experience with adults and kids too. 

Here's my background story, since everyone gave theirs. I just graduated my BSW from York University with a B+  (almost an A) GPA of the last two years; I took research methods and statistics, in which I got an A in both classes. During my BSW, I volunteered for children's services as a homework tutor, which was one of their programs. I did that for three years, but unfortunately had to stop in my final year as it conflicted with my placement. As well, in the summer of 2011, I went on a 10-day social service relief trip to Latvia and Lithuania to assist in supporting the communities there, mainly youth and seniors. I did my placement at a community health agency that provides support to seniors who would like to live at home. In my role, I provided case management and support to clients, mainly assisting them in accessing resources in the community and linking them to services. I became very knowledgeable in community initiatives, as well as the social problems within the senior population. Following my placement, I started to volunteer at a day centre for seniors with cognitive impairment, providing recreational support and one-on-one interaction with clients. As well, I have administrative experience as I have worked in a medical office and a law office for 3 years. 

Somehow, I do not qualify for any jobs in the field, nor do I have what is needed for admission into an MSW program. I'm so lost and very discouraged. I'm trying to remain positive about it, thinking that I can just try again next year, but its so hard to think that way! 

Anyways, thanks for all your support on here, you're all amazing! Congrats to all of you on getting in!

Any recommendations for the job search, since it is highly unlikely I will be able to pursue my MSW now? 

I know of charityvillage.com, workopolis, Indeed, monster...but not much luck! I've sent probably over 100 resumes in the last two months and nothing has come out of it. I'm just not qualified enough to get a job, and I'm not qualified enough to get an MSW. 

I'm so lost and could use any advice I can get! My experience is mainly with seniors, but I have some experience with adults and kids too. 

Here's my background story, since everyone gave theirs. I just graduated my BSW from York University with a B+  (almost an A) GPA of the last two years; I took research methods and statistics, in which I got an A in both classes. During my BSW, I volunteered for children's services as a homework tutor, which was one of their programs. I did that for three years, but unfortunately had to stop in my final year as it conflicted with my placement. As well, in the summer of 2011, I went on a 10-day social service relief trip to Latvia and Lithuania to assist in supporting the communities there, mainly youth and seniors. I did my placement at a community health agency that provides support to seniors who would like to live at home. In my role, I provided case management and support to clients, mainly assisting them in accessing resources in the community and linking them to services. I became very knowledgeable in community initiatives, as well as the social problems within the senior population. Following my placement, I started to volunteer at a day centre for seniors with cognitive impairment, providing recreational support and one-on-one interaction with clients. As well, I have administrative experience as I have worked in a medical office and a law office for 3 years. 

Somehow, I do not qualify for any jobs in the field, nor do I have what is needed for admission into an MSW program. I'm so lost and very discouraged. I'm trying to remain positive about it, thinking that I can just try again next year, but its so hard to think that way! 

Anyways, thanks for all your support on here, you're all amazing! Congrats to all of you on getting in!

It sounds like you have fantastic experience! I think that if U of T is your goal you might want to do more research in the field. Contact an old professor and ask if they need a research assistant, take an extra year and do a thesis, etc. Unfortunately the way things are right now it seems that everyone is coming in with a B+ and several years of great experience in the field. I know that I am trying to discover what will seperate me from the group and I think maybe that is what you could focus on too? I am considering taking a certificate in counselling at George Brown next year if I don't get in as that may help me stand out in the huge crowd of applicants.

Realize that it is nothing to do with the experience you have. It is the unbelievable amount of applicants they receive. To be waitlisted is a HUGE accomplishment in my opinion. They rejected so many people but you made the top 25%. That's an accomplishment in itself.

Hey guys,

I wrote to U of Calgary on March 31, got this reply, today...

Dear Heather,

All admission decisions will be communicated to applicants electronically, via email.  Our office has started issuing the admission letters in mid-March but it may take two months to issue all the admit/decline letters.  Admission decision will not be provided over the phone.  On September 1, 2013 the system will re-open for Fall 2014 admission to the Calgary-based MSW and PhD programs. 

Thank you for your interest in graduate programs offered in the Faculty of Social Work!

General letter sent to everyone?? Am I reading too much into them including that their system will re-open in September? I don't know at this point. I feel that it's just not going to happen again this year.

I am so happy for all of you that did get in! I guess I will have to find a way to improve my chances. I can't really think of what else to do. I am hoping to get another article published and maybe I will take a statistics course or something, I don't know. I feel like 2 degrees and 6 years of front line work and a published article would be pretty decent.

I can and should keep my job, and likely will, but I feel very frustrated and stuck these days that I almost want to quit with the state of the system right now...

Blah. Good luck to those of us still waiting!!

I feel your pain - out of 3 schools I was rejected by 2 and placed on a wait list for the other. But I am just trying to remain calm, although it is incredibly hard. If I must wait another year to do what is it I reallly want to do, then so be it. I am quite sure I know where I went wrong on my application, and definately will not make the same mistake again. I have plan B set up, and although it isn't my first choice, I am content. Don't lose hope, there's still Windsor!!!

Sorry Jax, meant Ryerson!

Also, I was wondering, does any one know if placements can take place on the weekends? I would assume that the majority would not as most organizations/institutions relevant to social work operate during the typical Mon-Fri 8-4 work week hours. But I am not sure. In the unlikely case that I am moved off the U of T waitlist, I would like to be able to commute back to Guelph on weekends and be able to continue working my current job if possibe. What do you guys think?

Hey,

Psychology undergraduate student here. I was waitlisted  by U of T as well for their 2-year program.

I was a bit surprised, I did not think I had what ti took to get accepted at all, but figured it was worth a shot, in hindsight I wish I would have applied to Laurier. I admire all the work put in by the applicants on this forum thread, such benevolent individuals giving back to the community. Kudos to all of you! It's a shame there is a dearth of spots available for so many qualified candidates, but all we can do is accept it for what it is and try our best to improve our merits.

I hope to get a chance to meet a few of you in grad school B)

I feel your pain - out of 3 schools I was rejected by 2 and placed on a wait list for the other. But I am just trying to remain calm, although it is incredibly hard. If I must wait another year to do what is it I reallly want to do, then so be it. I am quite sure I know where I went wrong on my application, and definately will not make the same mistake again. I have plan B set up, and although it isn't my first choice, I am content. Don't lose hope, there's still Windsor!!!

Where do you think you went wrong?

Hey guys,

I wrote to U of Calgary on March 31, got this reply, today...

Dear Heather,

All admission decisions will be communicated to applicants electronically, via email.  Our office has started issuing the admission letters in mid-March but it may take two months to issue all the admit/decline letters.  Admission decision will not be provided over the phone.  On September 1, 2013 the system will re-open for Fall 2014 admission to the Calgary-based MSW and PhD programs. 

Thank you for your interest in graduate programs offered in the Faculty of Social Work!

General letter sent to everyone?? Am I reading too much into them including that their system will re-open in September? I don't know at this point. I feel that it's just not going to happen again this year.

I am so happy for all of you that did get in! I guess I will have to find a way to improve my chances. I can't really think of what else to do. I am hoping to get another article published and maybe I will take a statistics course or something, I don't know. I feel like 2 degrees and 6 years of front line work and a published article would be pretty decent.

I can and should keep my job, and likely will, but I feel very frustrated and stuck these days that I almost want to quit with the state of the system right now...

Blah. Good luck to those of us still waiting!!

Thats exactly what they have posted on their website... http://fsw.ucalgary.ca/node/420. I know what you mean though, super frustrating and discouraging 

anyone heard from windsor yet, this is getting stupid how long it is taking them to send out stuff!

Applied: Msw- Windsor, Toronto

Bsw- Calgary, Lakehead

M.ed Counselling Psychology- Lethbridge, Western

Accepted: Bsw- Calgary

M.ed Counselling Psychology- Lethbridge

Rejected: Msw- Toronto

MA Counselling Psychology- Western

Edited by dhol999

Where do you think you went wrong?

I think that one of my reference letters will be deemed as unprofessional. I volunteer at a retirement home as a fitness instructor, and mistakenly decided to use one of the residents as a referee. Around the time of application the resident advised me that he and his wife had decided they wanted to leave the retirement home and move back into the city. He asked if I would like to work as a private personal trainer for them from their home. They two have just settled in their new home and I plan to start working with them for 10-15 hours a week starting in a couple of weeks. At the time of application I was simply volunteering as a fitness instructor at the retirement home, but had intentions of becoming the couple's personal trainor (paid) in months to follow. I believe the resident would have discussed this in his reference letter, but cannot say for sure. I just have no idea how the admissions committee will interpret the letter, but am really coming to see it as unprofessional myself.

Despit this, I feel like I have really strong academics. I have a relatively high average, have completed a thesis and independent study, volunteered in labs and have had a paper published. As well, my thesis advisor, who I used as a reference, is currently working directly with U of T professor Dr. Shera on a research project, and said he would put in a really good word for me.

Otherwise, I have some quality experiences in various helping positions (camp counsillor for special needs and fitness instructor for elderly) but I am not sure if these will be seen as highly social work relevant.

I feel like as though my strong research background and connection through my thesis professor are what have found me a spot on the waiting list. Perhaps these can make up for my unprofessional reference and relative lack of direct experience in the area.