Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2013 admissions

FH 2012

U of T has a better reputation internationally and is one of only 3 universities in Canada that actually makes the list of best universities in the world (the others are McGill and UBC). But in Canada, York is a known school with a good reputation. Unless you plan to move to the US or elsewhere (in which case, I would choose U of T) or get your PhD and teach, world recognition does not need to be at the top of your list of deciding factors.

If you can do the same kind of work at both places, I know that I would go with York because of the generous funding package. Your salary will not be any higher if you go to U of T instead of York, and you will end up with more debt. U of T has scholarships, but are they as generous? When a potential employer learns about your awards and scholarships it will look impressive since such large scholarship amounts are rare in social work (in Canada anyway).

Some things to consider.... After you graduate, do you want to buy yourself a new car? A house or condo? Are you hoping to have a family within the next 5 years? Debt will likely delay these things.

Then again, if you are in situation that allows you to live with family for 2 years for free or you are financially independent and do not not need to take out a loan, then U of T is worth considering if prestige is important to you.      

Hello,

What a tough decision!  Although I don't think you can go wrong choosing either, I would go with U of T.  My reasoning is that although York funding is really attractive, it is not something you can put on your resume like you can with a specialization. Also, if funding is an issue, U of T offers many, many scholarship opportunities. There are also a variety of placement opportunities and if you are eyeing a hospital placement, U of T has tons of those.  Finally, you cannot beat the name recognition of U of T.

My feeling is also that a lot of your learning will be self-directed.  Just because York explicitly names your area of interest, that in no way means that you cannot achieve that same learning at U of T.  However, having said all of that (like a recruiter for U of T! lol) York is also a very well respected school and there is no shame in going there. Really, I'm not sure that either school will actually deliver on everything they promise in their brochures. It is up to you to seek out and get the education you desire and this can be done at either school.

Edited by jenste

Yes, I stand corrected, you are right. I was not clear--what I was referring to was the fact that a specialization can help you get hired much easier than a scholarship would because it signifies a skill base ideally sought after by an employer.  This is not in any way meant to minimize a scholarship. Obviously it speaks volumes about academic achievement. I'm just thinking more down the road when you are actually trying to find a job. If we are both applying for a job working with seniors and I have 'scholarship' written on my resume while you have 'gerontology specialization', I'm thinking that the employer would lean towards you.

edit: I just thought about it and I'm not sure what 'generous' funding package means. Is York offering a full scholarship? 

You can definitely name that you received an assistantship and/or scholarship on your resume...

Edited by MSW13

I just wanted to throw out a question to anyone planning to attend an MSW program... Ever since you were accepted and told people about it, do you find that people are starting to talk to you more about their personal problems?

Just wondering... This have been my experience the past 2-3 weeks and I wonder if this is something that will happen for the rest of my career (outside of work hrs).

I honestly think in choosing interview candidates that it is a multi-dimensional situation in which you could not attribute the difference to specialization vs. scholarship. Like academic programs, employers place a lot of weight on how well you 'fit' with their organization. I would say the York funding package is pretty 'generous'. Personally, I have been offered minimum $9000 in assistantships and $6000 in scholarship for the advanced standing program. It is also important to note that York tuition is $1800 per term- only $5400 for the degree. 

Yes, I stand corrected, you are right. I was not clear--what I was referring to was the fact that a specialization can help you get hired much easier than a scholarship would because it signifies a skill base ideally sought after by an employer.  This is not in any way meant to minimize a scholarship. Obviously it speaks volumes about academic achievement. I'm just thinking more down the road when you are actually trying to find a job. If we are both applying for a job working with seniors and I have 'scholarship' written on my resume while you have 'gerontology specialization', I'm thinking that the employer would lean towards you.

edit: I just thought about it and I'm not sure what 'generous' funding package means. Is York offering a full scholarship? 

I honestly think in choosing interview candidates that it is a multi-dimensional situation in which you could not attribute the difference to specialization vs. scholarship. Like academic programs, employers place a lot of weight on how well you 'fit' with their organization. I would say the York funding package is pretty 'generous'. Personally, I have been offered minimum $9000 in assistantships and $6000 in scholarship for the advanced standing program. It is also important to note that York tuition is $1800 per term- only $5400 for the degree. 

Nice! I too received the $9000 minimum guaranteed funding through assistantships (no scholarship though). Your grades must be top notch! Congrats. I'm also advanced standing. See you in September!

Wow, that is awesome, congratulations!  At U of T, the most you can expect right off the bat is $4000 which is awarded to the top 25 based on academic merit. After that, you have to apply for different scholarships.  The tuition for the 1yr is just over $9000. Yes, so based on this I can see why someone would be very tempted to take York's offer based on scholarship alone.

I didn't apply to York but if I did (and got accepted), I would still have gone with U of T.  But I say this as someone who is not shoulder deep in tuition debt. If I was, I would seriously consider York....but would still go with U of T :P  

lol...yes and no. At the beginning when I started my BSW, I had some friends acting guarded around me like I was able to 'sense' their problems.  When they finally figured out that I wasn't a mind reader, they relaxed.  I find that people are more likely to share personal details quicker but it could also be because you have an approachable demeanor.  Eventually you learn how to keep a healthy distance from those who over-share. Good luck! 

I just wanted to throw out a question to anyone planning to attend an MSW program... Ever since you were accepted and told people about it, do you find that people are starting to talk to you more about their personal problems?

Just wondering... This have been my experience the past 2-3 weeks and I wonder if this is something that will happen for the rest of my career (outside of work hrs).

Of the people on this forum, how many of you applied to windsor and how many plan on attending if they get accepted? 

Anyone heard anything other than rejections from Windsor? It's the last school I'm waiting to hear from...

If rejections were emailed on Friday, my guess is that acceptance letters were mailed out on Friday or Monday (which is in line with the approximate time frame the secretary told me over the phone). I am hoping that by tomorrow some people will get letters in the mail.

Of the people on this forum, how many of you applied to windsor and how many plan on attending if they get accepted? 

Anyone heard anything other than rejections from Windsor? It's the last school I'm waiting to hear from...

I applied to Windsor and plan on attending if I get accepted (I received a rejection from York, and am wait-listed at U of T). I have not heard back from them yet though. Are you planning on attending there as well if you get accepted? 

I applied to Windsor and plan on attending if I get accepted (I received a rejection from York, and am wait-listed at U of T). I have not heard back from them yet though. Are you planning on attending there as well if you get accepted? 

I'm also on the wait list at U of T and waiting to hear from Windsor. I would accept at Windsor but probably wait a month or so to see if the wait list at U of T moves at all before making concrete plans to move there, etc

Thank you so much for giving your inputs. I really appreciate all of them.

I bumped into one of my referees in the bus the other day and she wants me to choose York and even my friend who went to U of T wants me to go to York. My parents, on the other hand, want me to go to U of T. Personally, I consider both institutions as excellent schools for graduate studies having attended numerous symposiums and conferences at both schools.

For the mean time, I am considering to accept both offers and will attend the orientation at both schools. I will officially withdraw from one of the 2 schools after I have the feel for what it would be like. I do not know if this is possible, but there's just so many things to consider.

Again thanks everyone for your inputs. They will help a lot in considering which school I will be attending in September.

When I had to decide, I went where I got funding. Having no extra debt is huge. Both Uoft and York are well respected as are all MSW programs in Canada. I chose York because my own experience has all been clinical and I wanted to expand and be challenged. Having spoken with people in the field, both schools will provide equal opportunity for the placement of your choice.

As I understand it, the streams at UofT are a specialization but the accreditation of the program as a whole is a general one like that of York. The choice will be mostly centered on clinical vs critical. York is very critical which for me, is key. UofT is very clinical which you may like.

Don't go into debt if you can avoid it. An MSW will be an MSW regardless of where it was obtained when you apply for a job.

Good luck! Whatever choice you make will be the right one!

Hello,

What a tough decision!  Although I don't think you can go wrong choosing either, I would go with U of T.  My reasoning is that although York funding is really attractive, it is not something you can put on your resume like you can with a specialization. Also, if funding is an issue, U of T offers many, many scholarship opportunities. There are also a variety of placement opportunities and if you are eyeing a hospital placement, U of T has tons of those.  Finally, you cannot beat the name recognition of U of T.

My feeling is also that a lot of your learning will be self-directed.  Just because York explicitly names your area of interest, that in no way means that you cannot achieve that same learning at U of T.  However, having said all of that (like a recruiter for U of T! lol) York is also a very well respected school and there is no shame in going there. Really, I'm not sure that either school will actually deliver on everything they promise in their brochures. It is up to you to seek out and get the education you desire and this can be done at either school.

You can definitely name that you received an assistantship and/or scholarship on your resume...

I always go with my gut and instinct. In my opinion they are both fantastic schools. I wish I had applied to York this year as I have heard such excellent things about their program recently. They have a great name in social work and funding is an extra bonus! Maybe think back to why York was your top choice in the beginning? Go with what feels right.

U of T has a better reputation internationally and is one of only 3 universities in Canada that actually makes the list of best universities in the world (the others are McGill and UBC). But in Canada, York is a known school with a good reputation. Unless you plan to move to the US or elsewhere (in which case, I would choose U of T) or get your PhD and teach, world recognition does not need to be at the top of your list of deciding factors.

If you can do the same kind of work at both places, I know that I would go with York because of the generous funding package. Your salary will not be any higher if you go to U of T instead of York, and you will end up with more debt. U of T has scholarships, but are they as generous? When a potential employer learns about your awards and scholarships it will look impressive since such large scholarship amounts are rare in social work (in Canada anyway).

Some things to consider.... After you graduate, do you want to buy yourself a new car? A house or condo? Are you hoping to have a family within the next 5 years? Debt will likely delay these things.

Then again, if you are in situation that allows you to live with family for 2 years for free or you are financially independent and do not not need to take out a loan, then U of T is worth considering if prestige is important to you.      

Congratulations on your offer! Are you going to accept it?

Mine hasn't been changed. I guess I didn't make the first round of offers. Thanks for giving us the update!

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to tell you all to check your mywindsor (for all those waiting on it). I just checked mine and my status has changed from  "referred to department" to "accepted final".

Good luck to everyone!

I'm also on the wait list at U of T and waiting to hear from Windsor. I would accept at Windsor but probably wait a month or so to see if the wait list at U of T moves at all before making concrete plans to move there, etc

I'm in the same situation as you-- if I were to get accepted, I'd want to wait to see if the wait list at U of T moves! It'd be tough to move to a new city & have to pay for living expenses, so I think U of T would be my top choice! 

I just checked my status on my UWindsor and it hasn't changed-- it still says Referred to department. 

It sounds like a good temporary solution to this situation. You don't want to rush to make a decision until you are ready.

Even though we gave you lots of rational reasons for choosing one school over another, the place where you will be happiest will not be decided on logic or common sense.

Congrats on receiving two wonderful offers and good luck! 

Thank you so much for giving your inputs. I really appreciate all of them.

I bumped into one of my referees in the bus the other day and she wants me to choose York and even my friend who went to U of T wants me to go to York. My parents, on the other hand, want me to go to U of T. Personally, I consider both institutions as excellent schools for graduate studies having attended numerous symposiums and conferences at both schools.

For the mean time, I am considering to accept both offers and will attend the orientation at both schools. I will officially withdraw from one of the 2 schools after I have the feel for what it would be like. I do not know if this is possible, but there's just so many things to consider.

Again thanks everyone for your inputs. They will help a lot in considering which school I will be attending in September.

Congratulations on your offer! Are you going to accept it?

Mine hasn't been changed. I guess I didn't make the first round of offers. Thanks for giving us the update!

Congratulations! :)

thank you so much!! And no problem- im happy to help (i look to hear for all of my information!!)

I have accepted U of T's offer :)  I am from Toronto, so it was my first choice to stay where I have already laid my roots.

I happy that this will open up a spot to someone who is waiting though!! Once I figure out how to decline!

Best wishes to all

Mine hasn't changed either. Got pretty bummed out today after hearing first round has already gone out. I don't even want to imagine how long it will take for the next round to go out! Sadness is consuming me. 

Mine hasn't changed either. Got pretty bummed out today after hearing first round has already gone out. I don't even want to imagine how long it will take for the next round to go out! Sadness is consuming me. 

no! im so sorry to stress anyone out :( wasn't my intention!!

please don't give up hope- no one knows what order they update the online files. It could be completely random!! and there is an extra spot since ill be rejecting

It's not over yet. I know it sucks to wait but good news may be in store for you. I wouldn't get down too quickly.

Both U of T and Laurier combined accepted 230 students. This is the same amount of students that applied to Windsor. I bet some of these students were accepted to Windsor and will be turning down their spots fairly quickly.

People from Toronto have a tendency to want to stay in Toronto (or close by) and many will not want to move to Windsor since it's so far away and it's not a big city. There will be a few more rounds of offers. I am certain of it.  :)

Edited by jenste

How many students did each school accept and was the 230 just for the 2yr?  Sorry, I'm just curious. I have U of T's #'s for last year but I *think* they accepted fewer students this year.

Both U of T and Laurier combined accepted 230 students. This is the same amount of students that applied to Windsor. I bet some of these students were accepted to Windsor and will be turning down their spots fairly quickly.

U of T accepted 140 and Laurier accepted 90. Apparently Windsor got 230 applicants this year for 30 spots.  This is for the 2 yr programs. i don't know much about the advanced standing programs.

How many students did each school accept and was the 230 just for the 2yr?  Sorry, I'm just curious. I have U of T's #'s for last year but I *think* they accepted fewer students this year.

Edited by jenste