Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2013 admissions

FH 2012

Congratulations! How did you find out you were accepted (email, or snail mail)? 

On the online portal, but I also got a call from UofT today and got off the waitlist there so now I just have to decide which program I want to accept. I'm pretty sure I'm going to accept at Toronto, so there will be another spot available at Windsor!

On the online portal, but I also got a call from UofT today and got off the waitlist there so now I just have to decide which program I want to accept. I'm pretty sure I'm going to accept at Toronto, so there will be another spot available at Windsor!

Sorry did you mean you got a call from Windsor?

Sorry did you mean you got a call from Windsor?

No, I got a call from Angela at Toronto.

That's wonderful news! Congrats. Are you planning to attend or are you going to see if your name comes up at Laurier or U of T?

I actually got off the waitlist at Toronto today so I am going to accept that offer as it is more specialized and was my top choice. 

Got accepted to Windsor today. Such a relief after all the waiting. Good luck to everyone else still waiting to hear!

Congrats!! Did you find out by checking online or snail mail?

Congrats on getting into UofT hopeful_applicant! :) 

I'm getting so anxious about this movement on the waitlist. I just finished my undergrad and emailed Angela before i went on vacation for a week asking about sending in updated transcripts and she said to wait until class averages and final GPA were calculated. It wasn't calculated until the day I got back and now I feel like that has put me at a disadvantage since there's been movement. I mean the chances are still low but it would've been nice for them to have my updated transcripts before they started looking at who to accept because my grades did go up. wah :( lol

Hi Jaylyn,

I think you'll be fine. If your application was ranked higher than the others who received offers from the wait list so far, then that means you are the next person in line. I am sure there will be at least one more person who will not be attending between now and the first week of September. So try not to worry. As Angela has implied (by asking you to wait before submitting your new transcript), this situation won't affect your chances of getting in.

I'm getting so anxious about this movement on the waitlist. I just finished my undergrad and emailed Angela before i went on vacation for a week asking about sending in updated transcripts and she said to wait until class averages and final GPA were calculated. It wasn't calculated until the day I got back and now I feel like that has put me at a disadvantage since there's been movement. I mean the chances are still low but it would've been nice for them to have my updated transcripts before they started looking at who to accept because my grades did go up. wah :( lol

Edited by jenste

Congrats on getting into UofT hopeful_applicant! :)    I'm getting so anxious about this movement on the waitlist. I just finished my undergrad and emailed Angela before i went on vacation for a week asking about sending in updated transcripts and she said to wait until class averages and final GPA were calculated. It wasn't calculated until the day I got back and now I feel like that has put me at a disadvantage since there's been movement. I mean the chances are still low but it would've been nice for them to have my updated transcripts before they started looking at who to accept because my grades did go up. wah :( lol
All we can do is hope :).

Congrats!! Did you find out by checking online or snail mail?

Thanks! I found out by checking online.

Thanks! And don't worry, I honestly felt that there was no way that I would be accepted into Toronto because I felt that I didn't have that much experience compared to others since I just finished my undergrad as well. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, good luck :)

Thanks! I found out by checking online.     Thanks! And don't worry, I honestly felt that there was no way that I would be accepted into Toronto because I felt that I didn't have that much experience compared to others since I just finished my undergrad as well. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, good luck :)
If I may ask, what experience do you have and what is your GPA? Trying to determine where I sit if possible.

Hi Jaylyn,

I think you'll be fine. If your application was ranked higher than the others who received offers from the wait list so far, then that means you are the next person in line. I am sure there will be at least one more person who will not be attending between now and the first week of September. So try not to worry. As Angela has implied (by asking you to wait before submitting your new transcript), this situation won't affect your chances of getting in.

I don't even know if UofT's waitlist is ranked, but I could be mistaken. Either way I'm sure they must have some system for knowing who stood out more than others. 

All we can do is hope :).

Too true! And this hope will have to last until the very first week of September! lol 

Thanks! I found out by checking online.

Thanks! And don't worry, I honestly felt that there was no way that I would be accepted into Toronto because I felt that I didn't have that much experience compared to others since I just finished my undergrad as well. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, good luck :)

Thank you for the kind words! I'm also lacking in the experience department compared to what I've read on here so I feel a little better knowing you felt the same way about yourself but ultimately got in. Once again congrats :)

Edited by jaylynn

I don't even know if UofT's waitlist is ranked, but I could be mistaken. Either way I'm sure they must have some system for knowing who stood out more than others.      Too true! And this hope will have to last until the very first week of September! lol      Thank you for the kind words! I'm also lacking in the experience department compared to what I've read on here so I feel a little better knowing you felt the same way about yourself but ultimately got in. Once again congrats :)
I agree it would be good to know where we stand. If you just finished undergrad you always have the opportunity to build your experience and apply again. That would also be beneficial when it comes to applying for jobs after your MSW because then you would be ahead of the game!

I just got accepted to U of T from their waitlist! I got a call from U of T today and they confirmed my offer, and I accepted over the phone. Obviously, I have to accept via snail mail, however, I was wondering how do I withdraw from Ryerson since I officially confirmed my acceptance. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of this? 

I looked on the Ryerson website, and I couldn't find anything.

U of T was my main choice after Carleton, and Carleton isn't using their waitlist this year.

Congratulations Scotto! Sorry, I don't have an answer to your question. Have you already paid a deposit?

I just got accepted to U of T from their waitlist! I got a call from U of T today and they confirmed my offer, and I accepted over the phone. Obviously, I have to accept via snail mail, however, I was wondering how do I withdraw from Ryerson since I officially confirmed my acceptance. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of this? 

U of T was my main choice after Carleton, and Carleton isn't using their waitlist this year.

I got into U of T too! Unfortunately, I don't think the $500 deposit for Ryerson is refundable. http://www.ryerson.ca/graduate/fees/ But on the plus side, we got into U of T! woo!

Congrats scotto123!!! That's great that you ended up getting into your first choice. :)

Ouch! $500 is a lot for a deposit. I suspect the high price tag is used to discourage people from switching to U of T.

Congrats on getting into U of T!!! It's a great school and a great program. :)

I got into U of T too! Unfortunately, I don't think the $500 deposit for Ryerson is refundable. http://www.ryerson.ca/graduate/fees/ But on the plus side, we got into U of T! woo!

Congratulations Scotto! Sorry, I don't have an answer to your question. Have you already paid a deposit?

I have paid the deposit and my acceptance went through. I just don't know how to officially withdraw. I'm not going to withdraw until I send all my documents in to U of T. I know I can withdraw, I just don't know the process.

Thanks for all the kind words!

To those who are going to U of T....see you in the fall!!

I have paid the deposit and my acceptance went through. I just don't know how to officially withdraw. I'm not going to withdraw until I send all my documents in to U of T. I know I can withdraw, I just don't know the process.

Thanks for all the kind words!

To those who are going to U of T....see you in the fall!!

I went through the process. Call MSW admissions and inform them of the situation and they will inform you of the procedure for your specific circumstances.

Get everything in writing! This is important as improper withdrawal has serious implications regarding fees, enrolment and grades. Congrats and good luck!

Edited by Hellothere416

I went through the process. Call MSW admissions and inform them of the situation and they will inform you of the procedure for your specific circumstances.

Get everything in writing! This is important as improper withdrawal has serious implications regarding fees, enrolment and grades. Congrats and good luck!

Thanks for the info! I mean it's late May, so I hope there are no financial repercussions (other than the $500 deposit I paid). I don't live in Toronto, so would I have to go in person to sign anything?

How was your experience in doing this? Were they accommodating? I'm actually starting to kind of worry a bit. I've tried to search in terms of dates and last date to withdraw without financial penalty, but I've found nothing. 

Congratulations!!! I also am in the same boat as you. I confirmed both schools offer of admission (in my case UOfT and York) and paid the deposits to save my spot in the programs. If you plan to officially withdraw from either program it has to be done before you enrol in any classes. I haven't sent my withdrawal letter as I haven't decided on which one actually suits my professional and academic interests. BUt I guess in your case you can write the program admission coordinator to inform theme hat you are withdrawing your spot from the program. Good luck. And if ever I choose U of T, I hope to see you there. All the best.

I just got accepted to U of T from their waitlist! I got a call from U of T today and they confirmed my offer, and I accepted over the phone. Obviously, I have to accept via snail mail, however, I was wondering how do I withdraw from Ryerson since I officially confirmed my acceptance. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of this?    I looked on the Ryerson website, and I couldn't find anything.   U of T was my main choice after Carleton, and Carleton isn't using their waitlist this year.

MidnightRose,  So are you set on going to York or will you consider U of T if taken off of the waitlist?

congratulations to those recently taken off the waitlist and admitted! :)

Thanks for the info! I mean it's late May, so I hope there are no financial repercussions (other than the $500 deposit I paid). I don't live in Toronto, so would I have to go in person to sign anything?

How was your experience in doing this? Were they accommodating? I'm actually starting to kind of worry a bit. I've tried to search in terms of dates and last date to withdraw without financial penalty, but I've found nothing. 

I did not have to sign anything. It was relatively easy and accomplished in one phone call. Congrats!

Anyone who gets off the Laurier waitlist can join this group....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/506415202727180/

It's a closed group for new 2 yr students. There are also a few members who have just completed their first year who check in from time to time and answer any questions that we may have about the program, housing concerns, etc.

Just put in a request to join and someone will add you on.

Edited by jenste