Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2013 admissions

FH 2012

From my review of the posts so far, it seems like all acceptances and waitlist notifications went out first - has anyone actually received a rejection letter yet or is it possible that would come tomorrow?

I just received an acceptance in the mail. YAY! I was so worried because I thought acceptances/waitlists went out yesterday and rejections were coming today. So for those of you who haven't received anything yet, don't despair, there could be good news coming your way!!

PS. I live in DT Toronto, like 5 minutes from U of T, so if you live outside of the city or province it might take a day or two still.

I agree - York is the most difficult to get into due to high amount of applicants and low acceptance rates :T

I'm still holding out for U of T and haven't received anything yet...not feeling optimistic at this point.

See my post right above yours!! There's still hope!

Flusty, 

Each school is looking for something a little bit different. You met the Laurier profile and got in and that's wonderful. There are many others who didn't get into U of T, they just haven't posted here. I hope you won't let the result of one application diminish your accomplishments.

For those who have been waitlisted for UoT....dont give up just yet....I have seen at least from the results page on this forum that there is a lot of movement....I know having to wait a couple more weeks can hurt but stay positive... i have read here that it may be a  good idea to send a "very very" short email re-emphasizing your continued interest in the program... Good luck! :) BTW it seems am the only one that got rejected on the forum? :(  all am seeing is acceptances and waitlists....

Flusty, 

Each school is looking for something a little bit different. You met the Laurier profile and got in and that's wonderful. There are many others who didn't get into U of T, they just haven't posted here. I hope you won't let the result of one application diminish your accomplishments.

I agree with Flusty!!! It took courage to apply and you got into UofT. It's a guessing game as to what each uni is looking for!! Don't be down :)

I was just rejected from U of T. I have an A- average, over 5 years of fulltime experience and wrote strong essays. So I am quite certain it's because I dropped some courses in the past. I know U of T doesn't like to see any dropped courses on a transcript.

Anyhow, now I know and I can start to make concrete plans for WLU! I can't wait for the fall.

Edited by jenste

I was just rejected from U of T. I have an A- average, over 5 years of fulltime experience and wrote strong essays. So I am quite certain it's because I dropped some courses in the past. I know U of T doesn't like to see any dropped courses on a transcript.

Anyhow, now I know and I can start to make concrete plans for WLU! I can't wait for the fall.

Wow I am shocked (and nervous now...)

I read somewhere that the reason a student thinks that they've been rejected/admitted is often very different from the reality.  It could have been something as simple as 'fit'.  For instance, they could have read your essays and thought, 'wow, this is a strong student but I'm not sure our program will meet their learning goals. Perhaps they would be much better suited for the program at Laurier etc...'.  

Wow I am shocked (and nervous now...)

I'm super shocked as well!! It sounds like you had a great profile. Laurier is a top notch school as well!! So I wouldn't be too disappointed.

Out of curiousity, what type of work experience do you have?

For those people on the waitlist at U of T, does your account still say "under review" ? For those accepted and rejected at U of T, does your account say "decision made"?

Just wondering if my theory makes sense...

I got accepted and it says Decision Made!

I got accepted and it says Decision Made!
Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason.... I was rejected from the u of t MA counselling psych program 2 weeks ago and it still says under review. And I was accepted for the MSW at u of t and t ALSO says under review

Still under review for me also, and i have been accepted, someone on the forum said that theres wasn't updated till the deposit was given, but i guess we shouldnt be worried about it if you got the acceptance in the mail

Congrats to everyone who got into their programs! I am happy to say I was accepted into the HBSW at Lakehead and at least it's something; then I will only have to do a 1 year MSW next year, so same amount of time just broken up differently. I am on the waiting list for U of T so am still hoping a spot comes available and I can take it :) To any of you on this forum who are currently in the HBSW or were formerly (at Thunder Bay) how did you like it? I am very nervous about moving 16 hours away for school for a year and would love to know any more info I can (besides what I found on Lakehead's website). Also nervous about trying to find a place to live and room mates as I live so far away! Another question would be where did you do your placements for the program while there? I have found a couple of potential placements already (CAS, Children's Centre Thunder Bay, Thunder Bay Counselling Centre) and would love feedback on any of those places for placement opportunities and how well they would work with someone completing their BSW. Thanks guys, and I wish everyone else the best of luck who hasn't heard back yet!

Congrats!!!! I'm very happy for you. You must be beeming with joy. I hope you're celebrating tonight :). I was wondering If you could provide me with some insight into your application. I would like to know what I need to accomplish to gain admittance next year. I have an 81 average with two grades in an independent research course in the 90s. I am a parole officer intern, ( I shadow a parole officer from supervision meeting to writing reports), I counsel with a paroled sex offender once a month, was an auxiliary police officer and I assisted offenders with mental health issues transition from a halfway house into the community. I have a approximately of 2500 hours. I have also coached a girls soccer team and was a camp coordinator for two years. So, Specificlly I am curious as to what experiences you have and your average - if I may be so forward ... :S. ;).
Thanks so much!! I am ridiculously happy! I will definitely have to celebrate this weekend. I think everyone can relate to the stress and anxiety this application process/ waiting game has caused!!! That sounds like fantastic experience and very unique which could definitely help you stand out. Here is a little bit about my personal experiences.. Bsc in psych GPA around 3.78 MA health policy and equity at York. About an A average Worked and volunteered in long term care homes/ retirement homes since first year university on and off Have been working as a research assistant and coordinator for 2 different research projects at York for the last 2 years (both studies involving health equity and the social determinants of health) I hope this helps! Definitely feel free to private message me if you were looking for any more input!! Good luck to everyone -

MSW13,

You are right about that.  A prof at my school and author of a book on applying to grad school did an informal study by asking 20 of his grad students why they think they got in - and almost all of them gave the wrong reasons.

But I based my comment on this website from U of T:

http://www.artsci.utoronto.ca/current/forms-services/crncr

I'll just cut and paste the part I'm talking about here:

Why should a student NOT consider the CR/NCR option? (CR/NCR means dropping a course)

If you think you may need to provide your grades in any or all of your courses for professional/graduate school applications or other reasons in the future, you should NOT choose the CR/NCR option.

In addition, it could have also been due to one of my references. She submitted my U of Vic reference 2 months late, after the committee had already looked at my application so it was considered incomplete. She also forgot that she had to write my reference for U of T and did it the day it was due. (I only noticed because U of T is electronic and I could see it wasn't submitted). While she said she'd give a glowing reference, she's never written one before and I suspect she isn't aware of how to write a strong one for grad school. Needless to say, for all the other applications, I used other references. 

I read somewhere that the reason a student thinks that they've been rejected/admitted is often very different from the reality.  It could have been something as simple as 'fit'.  For instance, they could have read your essays and thought, 'wow, this is a strong student but I'm not sure our program will meet their learning goals. Perhaps they would be much better suited for the program at Laurier etc...'.  

Edited by jenste

5 years as a nursing assistant (2 years were at a psychiatric facility), 1 1/2 yrs volunteering at a crisis centre (once a week), a fulltime internship for a semester (at a psychiatric recreational centre), and about 5 mini volunteer experiences I had to do for school (25 hrs each) offering adapted recreational programs for people with physical and cognitive disabilities.

Out of curiousity, what type of work experience do you have?

Edited by jenste

I was admitted to Lakehead HBSW in Orillia yesterday! I'm so relieved :) now I just need to find a good place to live... (Any tips would be much appreciated!) Congrats to everyone who's been accepted, and good luck to those who are waiting. Last year I didn't hear back from York's 2 year MSW until late June. It was brutal.

Edited by bellavaux

5 years as a nursing assistant (2 years were at a psychiatric facility), 1 1/2 yrs volunteering at a crisis centre (once a week), a fulltime internship for a semester (at a psychiatric recreational centre), and about 5 mini volunteer experiences I had to do for school (25 hrs each) offering adapted recreational programs for people with physical and cognitive disabilities.

That is outstanding - perhaps it was the dropped course or the reference you noted above.  Anyhow, you got into Laurier which is an amazing program.  At least the waiting is finally over for you.  Congrats!

I was admitted to Lakehead HBSW yesterday! I'm so relieved :) now I just need to find a good place to live... (Any tips would be much appreciated!) Congrats to everyone who's been accepted, and good luck to those who are waiting. Last year I didn't hear back from York's 2 year MSW until late June. It was brutal.

I have been accepted too! I am thinking of starting a facebook group for all those who were accepted to chat and maybe get some resources. Were you accepted to the Orillia or Thunder Bay Campus? I was accepted to Thunder Bay! Congrats!

Oh I know, this waiting is horrible. They probably haven't gotten through all of the applications yet, good luck! I see you're applying to Windsor do you know when we should be hearing back?

They told me at the beginning of the month to expect to hear back by the end of April....ugh

I feel like such a failure :( I went through four years of school to get my BSW, I can't get into my MSW, and I can't even find a job. Starting to consider changing career choices all together!

I have been accepted too! I am thinking of starting a facebook group for all those who were accepted to chat and maybe get some resources. Were you accepted to the Orillia or Thunder Bay Campus? I was accepted to Thunder Bay! Congrats!

Hey! I was accepted to Orillia... Congrats on Thunder Bay!! they only take 25 people up there so you must have impressed them. I know we're not on the same campus but I would love to join a fb group. Let me know if you start one :)

wow....I agree that each school is looking for a best "fit".... I also have an A average and 3.5 years experience.... I couldn't believe I was rejected by UoT which was my first choice.... am not sure if it was my PS cos I wasnt really confident on that but you are right... we both should be proud of our accomplishments for getting into Laurier.... I guess I will be seeing you in the fall then... :)

I feel like such a failure :( I went through four years of school to get my BSW, I can't get into my MSW, and I can't even find a job. Starting to consider changing career choices all together!
Do NOT give up hope! Honestly if this is your dream keep at it. Nothing worth having comes easy.