Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2013 admissions

FH 2012

From my review of the posts so far, it seems like all acceptances and waitlist notifications went out first - has anyone actually received a rejection letter yet or is it possible that would come tomorrow?

Congratulations to all of you who have been accepted! I just found out that i am in the wait-list. to be honest i have lost all my hope! I am going to focus on my work and volunteering experience this year and try to improve my application for next year..

Do you guys know by any chance if there are any other universities besides York and UofT that offer MSW for bachelors other than BSW? I have a degree in psych and didn't find any universities other than York and UofT that offer MSW to non-majors. and the States is so expensive to apply. Thank you guys!! :))

Well we can't know that for sure. If someone was rejected, I'd imagine they'd be feeling really down right now and might not be in a hurry to post the news on here.

It's not over yet, so don't get your hopes dashed.

From my review of the posts so far, it seems like all acceptances and waitlist notifications went out first - has anyone actually received a rejection letter yet or is it possible that would come tomorrow?

ka86 - Wilfred Laurier University in Kitchener offers a  2-year MSW degree! 

Building experience is key - I have been out of school for almost 2 years now just working and volunteering. Plus, you never know what can happen with the waitlist, so stay hopeful and good luck :)

Congratulations to all of you who have been accepted! I just found out that i am in the wait-list. to be honest i have lost all my hope! I am going to focus on my work and volunteering experience this year and try to improve my application for next year..

Do you guys know by any chance if there are any other universities besides York and UofT that offer MSW for bachelors other than BSW? I have a degree in psych and didn't find any universities other than York and UofT that offer MSW to non-majors. and the States is so expensive to apply. Thank you guys!! :))

Well we can't know that for sure. If someone was rejected, I'd imagine they'd be feeling really down right now and might not be in a hurry to post the news on here.

I hope you're right - I am full of anxiety about this.

They have actually sent out all decisions from the sounds of it.... I just got a rejection from UoT..... letter is dated April 11 Looks like am heading to Laurier! am glad this is all over now....

Edited by flusty

I think they did send out rejections because I did see one or two on the results page... as for the wait list, i was curious about that, and looked at last years a couple weeks ago and noticed a lot of people were posting that they came off between May and September!! so don't give up!

I think they did send out rejections because I did see one or two on the results page... as for the wait list, i was curious about that, and looked at last years a couple weeks ago and noticed a lot of people were posting that they came off between May and September!! so don't give up!
I heard it does move so I am remaining hopeful as well! I have several friends who were accepted off the wait list previously.

ka86 - Wilfred Laurier University in Kitchener offers a  2-year MSW degree! 

Building experience is key - I have been out of school for almost 2 years now just working and volunteering. Plus, you never know what can happen with the waitlist, so stay hopeful and good luck :)

I had no idea about Wilfred Laurier University thank you so much for the info and your kind words, I feel much better now! you're right it's not over yet and I have to focus on finding good working/volunteering opportunities :)

Laurier does too!

Congrats on getting waitlisted and good luck on getting in. If you do need to reapply, here is the list of schools that you were asking about:

-Victoria U

-UBC (requirements for Vancouver and Okanagan campuses are different so check both)

-U of Calgary

-Carleton U

-Wilfrid Laurier U

-U of Windsor 

-McGill (but risky and not worth it - you apply to be able to take 2 semesters of SW courses and need to apply again for the 1 yr MSW)

-Dalhousie (only if you have a Master's in a related field)

I believe that's it, but someone might want to add more if I missed something. 

You mention US schools are expensive. There are a few that aren't that costly, but you really have to look for them. They aren't easy to find. For instance, at Bridgewater in Massechussetts tuition is $9,000 per yr - not much more than tuition in Ontario. But you'd need to know if US programs are recognized by the order of social workers in your province if you plan to return home to work.

Lakehead also has a 3 semester BSW. This would allow you to apply to a 1 yr MSW later on (and there are more 1 yr MSW programs in Canada than 2 yr, so more options later on). By going this route, the entire process would only take 1 semester longer than going straight into a 2 yr MSW.

Congrats on getting waitlisted and good luck on getting in. If you do need to reapply, here is the list of schools that you were asking about:

-Victoria U

-UBC (requirements for Vancouver and Okanagan campuses are different so check both)

-U of Calgary

-Carleton U

-Wilfrid Laurier U

-U of Windsor 

-McGill (but risky and not worth it - you apply to be able to take 2 semesters of SW courses and need to apply again for the 1 yr MSW)

-Dalhousie (only if you have a Master's in a related field)

I believe that's it, but someone might want to add more if I missed something. 

You mention US schools are expensive. There are a few that aren't that costly, but you really have to look for them. They aren't easy to find. For instance, at Bridgewater in Massechussetts tuition is $9,000 per yr - not much more than tuition in Ontario. But you'd need to know if US programs are recognized by the order of social workers in your province if you plan to return home to work.

Lakehead also has a 3 semester BSW. This would allow you to apply to a 1 yr MSW later on (and there are more 1 yr MSW programs in Canada than 2 yr, so more options later on). By going this route, the entire process would only take 1 semester longer than going straight into a 2 yr MSW.

Thank you so much for the information! This is great! I will definitely look into these universities for next year... the 3 semester BSW program sounds really good too! I truly appreciate your help :)

Hi Jax14,

I'm still waiting to hear back from Ryerson as well, I can't believe that they haven't notified everyone yet.

Anyone hear yet from Ryerson. We were told we'd hear back last week but there's still nothing. Seriously considering just accepting rejection

So no mail has come in my mailbox yet.. this is killing me... i am really getting very anxious and it doesn't help that i have a take home final exam right now... 

i looked at the u of t online portal and it says 'decision made'... i wonder if everyone have the same status... wow... this is just so stressful...:'(

good luck everyone...

I just checked my account and it still says "under review." I wonder why yours says "decision made" ?

Perhaps that means I am on the waitlist (meaning that a final decision has not been made b/c they don't know how many spots will open up). Or perhaps they haven't updated all of the files yet. Who really knows.

Only 1 or 2 more days of waiting. I can't wait. 

So no mail has come in my mailbox yet.. this is killing me... i am really getting very anxious and it doesn't help that i have a take home final exam right now... 

i looked at the u of t online portal and it says 'decision made'... i wonder if everyone have the same status... wow... this is just so stressful...:'(

good luck everyone...

For those people on the waitlist at U of T, does your account still say "under review" ? For those accepted and rejected at U of T, does your account say "decision made"?

Just wondering if my theory makes sense...

Hi jenste...I was accepted and it still says "Under Review"

For those people on the waitlist at U of T, does your account still say "under review" ? For those accepted and rejected at U of T, does your account say "decision made"?

Just wondering if my theory makes sense...

Let's both keep a positive outlook. I really hope that this does not mean bad news for me... coz people who have been admitted in the advanced standing did not have a change in status until they have forwarded  confirmation to their acceptances... well it's all done now anyways, all we can do now is just wait...

good luck @jenste... and congratulations to everyone who got in... :)

I just checked my account and it still says "under review." I wonder why yours says "decision made" ?

Perhaps that means I am on the waitlist (meaning that a final decision has not been made b/c they don't know how many spots will open up). Or perhaps they haven't updated all of the files yet. Who really knows.

Only 1 or 2 more days of waiting. I can't wait. 

OK, that's good to know. Considering they had 1000 applicants I guess they are still updating their files. While I really hope I'll get in, it won't be the end of the world if I don't since I got in to Laurier already.

Hi jenste...I was accepted and it still says "Under Review"

Wait-listed for U of T. Was anyone who was accepted to U of T rejecting their offer?

I am currently doing a research methods course online (I didn't take one in undergrad as my major was legal studies and it wasn't required). Do you think it's best that I finish this course as soon as possible so that if a spot opens up and they review my file they have the mark for this course?

Anyone know when we should hear from York or Windsor?