Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2013 admissions

FH 2012

Everyone keeps telling me stay positive, be patient, you tried the best you could. But I dont' think they really understand what this wait feels like. What it feels like to have you life on hold waiting for this decision. What it feels like to just want to go to school this badly and the competition is crazy. I know i tried my best on my essays my average is a B+/A- which isn't the best. But i have direct social work experience in shelters, self/esteem empowerment women's group facilitation, employment counselling. IM just thankful I have this forum to air out my fustration. Gd luck to everyone still waiting, I really wish you all the best. IT will be over soon!!!

Yes, it is manageable but it's also exhausting. Classes start at 9 am and end at 4:20 pm in first semester. Since I took the bus I had to get up at 5 am (out the door by 6:15 to catch the 7:15 bus from bay and dundas) but if you're driving, you won't have to get up as early as I did.

I'm also from Toronto/Markham area and have accepted Laurier for the fall 2013. Is it manageable to commute to school daily? How late/early do classes normally end/begin? Just wondering if it's worth it to stay in Kitchener for the fall term, and the commute for the remaining semesters. Any suggestions would help! :)

Everyone keeps telling me stay positive, be patient, you tried the best you could. But I dont' think they really understand what this wait feels like. What it feels like to have you life on hold waiting for this decision. What it feels like to just want to go to school this badly and the competition is crazy. I know i tried my best on my essays my average is a B+/A- which isn't the best. But i have direct social work experience in shelters, self/esteem empowerment women's group facilitation, employment counselling. IM just thankful I have this forum to air out my fustration. Gd luck to everyone still waiting, I really wish you all the best. IT will be over soon!!!

It sounds like you have a ton of experience in the field!!!!! I'm sure you will get in!

Yes, it is manageable but it's also exhausting. Classes start at 9 am and end at 4:20 pm in first semester. Since I took the bus I had to get up at 5 am (out the door by 6:15 to catch the 7:15 bus from bay and dundas) but if you're driving, you won't have to get up as early as I did.

Thanks so much for your help! Really appreciate it.

I just called Ryerson regarding the advanced standing applicants. The person who answered the phone said we'll find out this week and the decision will be posted online. 

Well if York has sent out offers for 1st year FT MSW, then I'm probably not getting in since I have no change on "MyFile". (No Decision Yet). Ryerson is also taking forever too. I'm starting to really get frustrated and also become anxiety ridden. I check my mailbox, email, MyFile, and RAMSS everyday, sometimes multiple times a day.   I feel like just calling it a day, since I'm pretty much under the impression I'm not going anywhere this year. Agh.
I emailed the graduate admissions department at Ryerson and their response was not helpful in the slightest: Hi, Your application is under review with the Department. Please contact the Department for a more definitely decision date: msw@ryerson.ca. Decisions are ongoing through the spring and summer. When a decision is made, you will either receive a letter in the mail if you are offered admission or an email if you are not. -- Best Regards, Graduate Admissions and Recruitment Seriously this could go into summer?!?

Thank you Brenda! That would be great. I live out of province and only have a couple of long weekends off this summer to look for housing. This would really help as i don't know Kitchener at all. If I don't get an offer from U of T next week, I will ask my family to drop by next weekend, check it out and leave a deposit for me.

Could you pm me the details? 

I can give you the number of my old landlord. He goes month to month but he's near Laurier main campus. I'm taking the other room so we might be roomies!

Hi Thumper86,

Can you tell me how much advance notice you get about where your placements are and are the internships fulltime or part time? (I need to let the loans office know if they're fulltime or part time so I was just wondering). I believe the website says there are 2 internships but when I look at the curriculum it looks like there are 3. Does one of the internships last 2 semesters? 

Yes, you can switch streams when you're in the program.

During the 1st practicum it can be difficult to get exactly what you want in your preferred geographical area. I wanted a gerontology placement for my first placement and ended up working with children. But my placement is within the GTA so the practicum office balanced my needs that way. You can also propose placements (so if there's a specific agency you want to work for you let the practicum office know and they try to arrange something). It's been my experience that you have to "suck it up" for your first one and take what you get. It's not the best process by any means but that seems to be the way the practicum process works.

You definitely don't HAVE to have a car in order to go to Laurier. It broadens your options if you can drive/have a car. But I believe the practicum office will work with you to find something close to public transit if you don't have access to a vehicle.

PM me if you have more questions :)

If you propose a placement and the agency agrees to interview you then you know sooner than others who are matched through our portal system. For my first placement (assigned through the portal) I knew I received my placement by early November (placement started in January). I proposed my second placement and I received it in March (placement starts in September).

Placements are full-time. First placement is 28 hours per week (4 days) from January to the end of April and 21 hours (3 days) from the end of April until the end of June. Second placement is also full-time. 28 hours (4 days) from September to mid December. There are only 2 internships.

Hi Thumper86,

Can you tell me how much advance notice you get about where your placements are and are the internships fulltime or part time? (I need to let the loans office know if they're fulltime or part time so I was just wondering). I believe the website says there are 2 internships but when I look at the curriculum it looks like there are 3. Does one of the internships last 2 semesters?

Thanks, Thumper.

Do you know if many students have a part time job on the side? I don't want to take on too much and I'm not sure if I'd have time to work 5-8 hrs on the weekend or if it's even advisable. 

If you propose a placement and the agency agrees to interview you then you know sooner than others who are matched through our portal system. For my first placement (assigned through the portal) I knew I received my placement by early November (placement started in January). I proposed my second placement and I received it in March (placement starts in September).

Placements are full-time. First placement is 28 hours per week (4 days) from January to the end of April and 21 hours (3 days) from the end of April until the end of June. Second placement is also full-time. 28 hours (4 days) from September to mid December. There are only 2 internships.

There are quite a few students working part-time. I opted not to work while in grad school because I wanted to have my weekends free to do readings/assignments. It is possible if use your time efficiently :)

Thanks, Thumper.

Do you know if many students have a part time job on the side? I don't want to take on too much and I'm not sure if I'd have time to work 5-8 hrs on the weekend or if it's even advisable.

Hey Thumper,

Just out of curiosity, do you find grad school 'harder' than undergrad or about the same? What would you say is the biggest difference?

Thanks! 

There are quite a few students working part-time. I opted not to work while in grad school because I wanted to have my weekends free to do readings/assignments. It is possible if use your time efficiently :)

Personally, I find it easier than undergrad. My graduate program is strictly essays and presentations which I find easier than test writing. Since I did my undergrad in the sciences the biggest difference is the shift in course material. I'm also used to large classes so seminar-style classes were a bit of an adjustment.

Hey Thumper,

Just out of curiosity, do you find grad school 'harder' than undergrad or about the same? What would you say is the biggest difference?

Thanks!

Be patient! just kidding. But yeah, I'm right there with you on this one. My partner and I are pretty much in limbo right now in terms of where we're going to be living come this September. Our lease ends at the end of August, and I'm pretty much at the point of not knowing what to do. This potential acceptance will also mean a fresh start for both of us in a new city. Frankly, Peterborough is not the city we can sustain a life in where it's rare to find full time employment (even in my chosen field). I have an B+/A- average as well, and I have 5 years in the field working with children and youth with mental health diagnosis, children's aid, and now a crisis shelter. 

So, you're not alone in this. I'm literally driving my partner up the wall due to my anxiety and stressed demeanor. They really need to figure out a better way to deliver acceptances on time. I think someone should do a study on the effects of graduate admission timelines and one's mental health. Could be interesting?

Edited by scotto123

Thanks for that response, I was hoping you would say that :)!  I hope my classes are going to be like that too.  Would you say that it is hard to stay on top of readings/assignments or is it manageable? That is, can you still have a life outside of school or is it very demanding of pretty much all of your waking hours?

I'm just trying to get an idea of how easy/hard it will be to have a reasonable school/life balance.

Personally, I find it easier than undergrad. My graduate program is strictly essays and presentations which I find easier than test writing. Since I did my undergrad in the sciences the biggest difference is the shift in course material. I'm also used to large classes so seminar-style classes were a bit of an adjustment.

Are placements and internships the same thing?

I feel a bit discouraged after hearing those numbers. My grades should be competitive and I'm a good writer, but my work experience isn't as strong as some of the things I've been hearing here.

The problem is that Canada just doesn't have enough schools. Too many qualified people are being turned away from MSW programs because of a lack of spots. I also think there are too many graduates who majored in fields that have few career opportunities and they start to look elsewhere. The Canadian government should really cap the numbers on programs like philosophy or history or religion because there are too many unemployed and underemployed young graduates in Canada. In the past, these grads would apply to teachers college and become high school teachers. But with the severe job shortages for new teachers, I guess people are branching out and considering programs like social work, since schools are flexible about the undergraduate degree that you have.

I was so surpised that the one year BSW program I applied to as a backup got approximately 450 applications this year. That's crazy.

If I don't get into the MSW, I will be so disappointed....

Hi Jenste,

Thanks for the info about the number of applicants to the one year bsw program. I've applied to Lakehead as well. Did you happen to find out how many people they accept?

Thanks for that response, I was hoping you would say that :)!  I hope my classes are going to be like that too.  Would you say that it is hard to stay on top of readings/assignments or is it manageable? That is, can you still have a life outside of school or is it very demanding of pretty much all of your waking hours?

I'm just trying to get an idea of how easy/hard it will be to have a reasonable school/life balance.

In terms of the readings there are usually a few mandatory ones per week and the others are supplemental so you can pick and choose what to read based on interest/time. It can be difficult to stay on top of all the readings, especially when taking 5 courses so you have to use your best judgment. Assignments (especially final ones) can be quite lengthy and all will be due during the same week so to avoid mental breakdowns its best to start early. I had 5 20+ page papers due in the same week and I started over a month before they were due and I didn't feel panicked. Yes, you can have a life outside of school! You just need to be able to work efficiently and have good time management skills :)

Are placements and internships the same thing?

Yes, placements and internships are the same thing.

No, I don't know how many they accept. But it's encouraging to know that they're accepted applicants in the past with a GPA of anywhere between the high 60's to high 80's. So if you have good references and wrote a solid essay, it doesn't sound too difficult to get in. It also helps that they have 2 campuses so you get 2 chances of getting accepted, if you applied to to both. The results will be posted on the portal on April 22, so only less than 2 weeks away. Is this your first choice? Good luck!

Hi Jenste,
Thanks for the info about the number of applicants to the one year bsw program. I've applied to Lakehead as well. Did you happen to find out how many people they accept?

Are there a lot of textbooks to purchase or is the material available online?  Also, are you in the same placement for semester 2 & 3?  On the website it looked like there were 3 different placements throughout the 2 year program.

In terms of the readings there are usually a few mandatory ones per week and the others are supplemental so you can pick and choose what to read based on interest/time. It can be difficult to stay on top of all the readings, especially when taking 5 courses so you have to use your best judgment. Assignments (especially final ones) can be quite lengthy and all will be due during the same week so to avoid mental breakdowns its best to start early. I had 5 20+ page papers due in the same week and I started over a month before they were due and I didn't feel panicked. Yes, you can have a life outside of school! You just need to be able to work efficiently and have good time management skills :)

Yes, placements and internships are the same thing.

I wonder if there are any disadvantages in choosing an integrated stream at Laurier. Do you think an employer would think that someone graduating from such a program would be less specialized, or do you think they would appreciate the breadth?