Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2013 admissions

FH 2012

I have noticed a lot of people have got into other schools and applied to Windsor, will anyone be declining Windsor if they get accepted?

I will if accepted....  am still waiting to hear from UoT... good luck to you!

I am surprised that more people didn't apply to York, given that they are fully funded.  York offers $15k for full time graduate students.   I know that U of T does not, but do the other universities offer funding as well? 

Can anyone here recommend a good housing website for the Kitchener region? So far I've tried kijiji, craigslist and WLU. They lump all of the Kitchener and Waterloo listings together. Since I don't know the region, it takes me forever to go through the listings because I am unfamiliar with the street names, and almost all of them end up being in Waterloo. The WLU housing database seems to only have Waterloo listings. Any help or advice on this would be much appreciated. I know it's a bit early, but I am just trying to get a sense of my approximate living costs for the type of dwelling I will be looking for so I can calculate my yearly budget. thanks!
Try Padmapper. It pulls listings from a bunch of different sites and puts them on a map.

I think it's because some people want to get into clinical social work and York seems to focus on community social work. As well, some people might not like the fact that York seems to be unorganized and late.

I am surprised that more people didn't apply to York, given that they are fully funded.  York offers $15k for full time graduate students.   I know that U of T does not, but do the other universities offer funding as well? 

I will probably end up at Laurier. At first, it was my third choice but I have reconsidered and if I get into Windsor I will turn it down (unless I get a scholarship, but I highly doubt it).

I have a slight preference for U of T because the streams are more specialized, the internships are TTC accessible, and U of T has an excellent reputation worldwide. But I'd rather live in a smaller city and Kitchener is in a good location geographically. However, Laurier will end up being the most expensive option for me. :( So that is why U of T is first on my list.

I am not confident I will get into U of T because I dropped some courses in the past and U of T does not like it if you dropped a bunch of courses. But apart from that, my application is strong. I believe that my Laurier and U of T essays were the strongest of the bunch and we will see what happens.

Have you decided on Laurier yet? have also been looking around for housing... I find viewit.ca very helpful...again Kitchener and Waterloo listed together but the two are about 12 mins or so apart by car  and apparently 15 mins by bus... I hear buses are fairly reliable especially during the school year so you could live in either and still commute to school at a decent time.... I understand they come by every 30mins or so depending.... The local online newspaper -  in the region- the record also has listings here ...

.... and its not too early to start looking, if you are looking for a one bedroom I understand they go pretty quickly so now is actually the best time to look... good luck on your search...

I knew it was too good to be true when they responded to my email last week Monday and said results will be in by early April -.-

I should have known too, given all the feedback from people on this forum about their process last year.  Here's the update from York's twitter account:

Graduate SocialWork ‏@YorkUgradsowk

Admissions Update: Sent the 1st ROUND of offers to every program EXCEPT the 2-Year F/T MSW. Hopefully we'll have those out next week.

To those who are planning to attend Laurier's two-year program next year, I dont advise relocating to Kitchener unless you absolutely have to. You're only in class 3 days a week for 3 months, then 1 day per week for the rest of the program. There is no guarantee you will get a Kitchener/Waterloo placement if you move there. There were quite a few people that moved to Kitchener for the program then were placed in a city far away for their first practicum and had to move again!

I live in Toronto and commute to Kitchener for classes. My first placement is in Brampton and my next one is in Toronto.

Can anyone here recommend a good housing website for the Kitchener region? So far I've tried kijiji, craigslist and WLU. They lump all of the Kitchener and Waterloo listings together. Since I don't know the region, it takes me forever to go through the listings because I am unfamiliar with the street names, and almost all of them end up being in Waterloo. The WLU housing database seems to only have Waterloo listings. Any help or advice on this would be much appreciated. I know it's a bit early, but I am just trying to get a sense of my approximate living costs for the type of dwelling I will be looking for so I can calculate my yearly budget. thanks!

I can give you the number of my old landlord. He goes month to month but he's near Laurier main campus. I'm taking the other room so we might be roomies!

To those who are planning to attend Laurier's two-year program next year, I dont advise relocating to Kitchener unless you absolutely have to. You're only in class 3 days a week for 3 months, then 1 day per week for the rest of the program. There is no guarantee you will get a Kitchener/Waterloo placement if you move there. There were quite a few people that moved to Kitchener for the program then were placed in a city far away for their first practicum and had to move again!

I live in Toronto and commute to Kitchener for classes. My first placement is in Brampton and my next one is in Toronto.

Thanks this is great to know!!! I think I am going to try and find someone on the forum who may want to commute back and forth me and just split gas. I'm in the west end so I'' extend the invite out.

Advice anyone?? I have a new position which is very relevant to what I put in my application and what I wanted to do with a MSW. Should I email Windsor regarding this and let them know or wait until they start sending out decisions? 

Just to let those of you know who got accepted into Laurier. You have three weeks from the date you confirmed your program to send in your cheque for $100.00. It is non-refundable.

Would your purpose for letting them know about the job be to punctuate the fact that you are a good fit for the program?  That is a tricky question and I totally understand why you would want to let them know.  However, they are making decisions based on what you have submitted by the deadline. Unfortunately I doubt that if you emailed them that it would be passed on to the review committee.  This is just because many students could potentially have new information to buff up their application and it would be unfair to other applicants to add to a file after the submission deadline.  But having said that, if you were to be waitlisted, I would definitely email them.  In addition to reiterating interest in the program, it would also show that you are 'out there' in the field.  

Btw, congrats on the job!

Advice anyone?? I have a new position which is very relevant to what I put in my application and what I wanted to do with a MSW. Should I email Windsor regarding this and let them know or wait until they start sending out decisions? 

Thanks! I was leaning that route too. Just needed a wise individual on this forum to let me know :) This place is the best. 

Would your purpose for letting them know about the job be to punctuate the fact that you are a good fit for the program?  That is a tricky question and I totally understand why you would want to let them know.  However, they are making decisions based on what you have submitted by the deadline. Unfortunately I doubt that if you emailed them that it would be passed on to the review committee.  This is just because many students could potentially have new information to buff up their application and it would be unfair to other applicants to add to a file after the submission deadline.  But having said that, if you were to be waitlisted, I would definitely email them.  In addition to reiterating interest in the program, it would also show that you are 'out there' in the field.  

Btw, congrats on the job!

Can you explain what you mean about York offering $15k? Do you mean funding in the form of a bursary based upon individual financial situations?

Can you explain what you mean about York offering $15k? Do you mean funding in the form of a bursary based upon individual financial situations?

For the 2 year program, York provides a minimum of $9k the first year and $6k for the second year of study (for full time students).  This is provided in a graduate assistantship, i.e. assisting a Faculty member in their research for a few hours per week.  These amounts are in addition to the scholarships and bursaries that are available for students to apply for.

I'm starting to get very irritated with Ryerson already...I was hoping that I'd hear back from then by now, seeing as I've read in past forums that they send out results around February-March. It's now April and no word whatsoever from them! I check my RAMSS obsessively, as well as the mailbox. Its the only school I have left to hear from and its my last hope at getting into an MSW program this year! Otherwise I'm in big trouble because so far I'm not having much luck finding work in the social work field with my current credentials. 

Hi everyone,

I've been following this forum for a while now... and am finally joining in. :)

I have been accepted to the 2-year MSW program at Laurier. U of T's MSW program is my first choice...the wait has been tough!! 

I have a few questions regarding Laurier's program - Thumper86, you may be able to help...

1. Can we switch streams upon entry? When I applied I said I was interested in the integrated IFG focus-CCPO stream, but I know that I want to focus solely on the IFG stream

2. I am interested in direct one-on-one clinical work with individuals/families with addiction/mental health issues... Is it difficult to get such a specialized placement? Laurier's areas of specialization seem broad compared to U of T's streams...

3. Is the driving/car agreement strict? (I'm in the midst of getting my license-  and most likely will not have access to a car)

...I am grateful that I have been accepted, but the U of T wait has been so nerve-wracking. The deadlines to respond to the other schools are a few days away and I've just been hoping that U of T would just DO something already. I think it's silly that the schools don't work together!

Anyways, any info re: Laurier's program would be much appreciated. Good luck to those who are still waiting!

Yes, you can switch streams when you're in the program.

During the 1st practicum it can be difficult to get exactly what you want in your preferred geographical area. I wanted a gerontology placement for my first placement and ended up working with children. But my placement is within the GTA so the practicum office balanced my needs that way. You can also propose placements (so if there's a specific agency you want to work for you let the practicum office know and they try to arrange something). It's been my experience that you have to "suck it up" for your first one and take what you get. It's not the best process by any means but that seems to be the way the practicum process works.

You definitely don't HAVE to have a car in order to go to Laurier. It broadens your options if you can drive/have a car. But I believe the practicum office will work with you to find something close to public transit if you don't have access to a vehicle.

PM me if you have more questions :)

Hi everyone,

I've been following this forum for a while now... and am finally joining in. :)

I have been accepted to the 2-year MSW program at Laurier. U of T's MSW program is my first choice...the wait has been tough!!

I have a few questions regarding Laurier's program - Thumper86, you may be able to help...

1. Can we switch streams upon entry? When I applied I said I was interested in the integrated IFG focus-CCPO stream, but I know that I want to focus solely on the IFG stream

2. I am interested in direct one-on-one clinical work with individuals/families with addiction/mental health issues... Is it difficult to get such a specialized placement? Laurier's areas of specialization seem broad compared to U of T's streams...

3. Is the driving/car agreement strict? (I'm in the midst of getting my license- and most likely will not have access to a car)

...I am grateful that I have been accepted, but the U of T wait has been so nerve-wracking. The deadlines to respond to the other schools are a few days away and I've just been hoping that U of T would just DO something already. I think it's silly that the schools don't work together!

Anyways, any info re: Laurier's program would be much appreciated. Good luck to those who are still waiting!

Well if York has sent out offers for 1st year FT MSW, then I'm probably not getting in since I have no change on "MyFile". (No Decision Yet). Ryerson is also taking forever too. I'm starting to really get frustrated and also become anxiety ridden. I check my mailbox, email, MyFile, and RAMSS everyday, sometimes multiple times a day.

I feel like just calling it a day, since I'm pretty much under the impression I'm not going anywhere this year. Agh.

Ohh interesting. So where did you stay for those 3 days you were there?

I commuted back and forth to Toronto every night via greyhound bus. Two weeks during the last month of classes (1st semester) I stayed in a hotel for the two nights so I'd have extra time to get my work done.

Ohh interesting. So where did you stay for those 3 days you were there?

I commuted back and forth to Toronto every night via greyhound bus. Two weeks during the last month of classes (1st semester) I stayed in a hotel for the two nights so I'd have extra time to get my work done.

I'm also from Toronto/Markham area and have accepted Laurier for the fall 2013.  Is it manageable to commute to school daily? How late/early do classes normally end/begin?  Just wondering if it's worth it to stay in Kitchener for the fall term, and the commute for the remaining semesters.  Any suggestions would help! :)

hmmm I'd def consider that If i dont get into UfT tho year. UGhh this wait is killing me. Has anyone else realized that April 15 is a Monday, so unless UfT coordinates their mailout really well it will be coming right after the weekend :s. Im holding on to hope that the 15 is the last date and that it will be coming this week!!! lol