Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2013 admissions

FH 2012

Congrats on getting into Laurier!

I absolutely agree with your perceptions of males in social work.  It certainly is difficult for males to enter an arena like child protection services without an exceptional amount of scrutiny.  What triggered your interest in this area?

Good luck with U of T! Which is your preference, U of T or Laurier?? 

Thanks.  I`ve spent a lot of time working and teaching children from disadvantaged backgrounds and was surprised to read in a few UK studies that many organizations are apprehensive about involving men with children.  

I currently don`t have a preference, as I can see advantages for both schools.  Each have excellent programs, Laurier with a bit more breadth for each student and UofT with more depth.  I think it may come down to faculty for me.  There are faculty at Laurier who I would love to work with in the areas of domestic violence and responding to childhood sexual abuse.  However, at UofT there is one professor who adeptly applies the work of Foucault to social work theory and practice.  I have a strong background in social theory and philosophy so I may e-mail a few of the professors to try and tease out where my social and philosophical imagination would be best supported and best put to use.

Hello, I've also applied to the 2 year MSW program at Laurier. Is you A- average an overall average, or is that your average in your last year of study. Thanks you, I appreciate any help :)

Hello.  It is both my overall average and my final year average.  Good luck to you!

I just received an email from U of T about graduate residence. Does everyone get this email or does this mean I was accepted??

Did everyone receive this email?

Ok thank you!!!!

I find this to be a cruel and unusual joke!! how dare they send that email and have my heart thumping like that lol. I thought It was initially a rejection email from the first few sentences. They shouldn't send emails like that to people, its to emotional. How insensitive!

Signed,

"Patiently Waiting"

Edited by bri_001

Yeah I know. Were you also given a username and student number?

Yup, saying if I get in, this will be used as my student number. :S does every school do this. I find this very inappropriate, its kinda like getting your hopes up...

Yup, saying if I get in, this will be used as my student number. :S does every school do this. I find this very inappropriate, its kinda like getting your hopes up...

I completely agree with you. 

Edited by DreamingMSW

Yeah, I got the email as well. It definitely got my hopes up to be dashed in a matter of seconds.I thought for a second that I was accepted of their waitlist. I am legitimately starting to hate the wait. Easter dinner was ridiculous. Literally every family member; "so have you heard back yet?".

Since people that have applied to 2 year programs are soon to be hearing back from schools, should I be worried? (I applied to 1 yr programs). I know Ryerson emails declines, and I haven't received an email yet. However, York U still hasn't said anything and I've tried calling them to be put on hold every time for way too long.

Maybe I'm being impatient, but based on the outcome, my partner and I are looking to move. So coupled with choosing a school, we have to choose a prospective city where we're going to settle down as well. (Peterborough isn't suitable for two new graduates; no stable work). Needless to say, I'm stressed.

Edited by scotto123

Now that teacher's college decisions have all been sent out I'm WAY too jealous of my countless friends who now actually have an idea where they will be in September. Wahhhh

Hey everyone, 

For those who were accepted to U of T's advanced standing program, what is/was the deadline to accept/decline the offer? 

Now that teacher's college decisions have all been sent out I'm WAY too jealous of my countless friends who now actually have an idea where they will be in September. Wahhhh
They'll know for September but necessarily after that. There is an abundance of teachers and no jobs. Still, at least their wait is over.

Angela just told me that she has no idea why we were sent that residence email and that it has nothing to do with the MSW office. She stated that results will be going out on April 15th as someone previously mentioned....

As to why U of T would send out a housing email to everyone and get their hopes up is beyond me.

Hi ltr,

The letter I received stated that I had 4 weeks (from the date on the letter) to send in the deposit form with the $150.00 payment.  There is also an orientation day scheduled for advanced standing students on April 22nd. I assume that they would want the majority of the incoming class present for that.  However, the letter states that if people cant make it (I assume this also covers people who will eventually be admitted off the waitlist), there will be another scheduled in the fall.

I would think that waitlisted students will start hearing back soon since the 4weeks would be up this week. That means for any student that didn't pay the deposit, their acceptance would be revoked and another student would take their place. Also, as people start hearing back from other schools, you will get some forfeiting their deposits to accept admission elsewhere.

Based on past years, there IS movement on the waitlist. Hang in there! If I were on the waitlist, I would be inclined to sent a *very brief* email to the admission dept and just reiterate my interest in the program. Not in an annoying way, just a polite reminder that I'm very interested in the MSW program at U of T.

Hey everyone, 

For those who were accepted to U of T's advanced standing program, what is/was the deadline to accept/decline the offer? 

Thanks for finding out about that! I saw on another thread that people waiting in other programs also received this generic email.  It is pretty cruel if you ask me!

Angela just told me that she has no idea why we were sent that residence email and that it has nothing to do with the MSW office. She stated that results will be going out on April 15th as someone previously mentioned....

As to why U of T would send out a housing email to everyone and get their hopes up is beyond me.

Hi ltr,

The letter I received stated that I had 4 weeks (from the date on the letter) to send in the deposit form with the $150.00 payment.  There is also an orientation day scheduled for advanced standing students on April 22nd. I assume that they would want the majority of the incoming class present for that.  However, the letter states that if people cant make it (I assume this also covers people who will eventually be admitted off the waitlist), there will be another scheduled in the fall.

I would think that waitlisted students will start hearing back soon since the 4weeks would be up this week. That means for any student that didn't pay the deposit, their acceptance would be revoked and another student would take their place. Also, as people start hearing back from other schools, you will get some forfeiting their deposits to accept admission elsewhere.

Based on past years, there IS movement on the waitlist. Hang in there! If I were on the waitlist, I would be inclined to sent a *very brief* email to the admission dept and just reiterate my interest in the program. Not in an annoying way, just a polite reminder that I'm very interested in the MSW program at U of T.

Hey MSW13,

Thanks for that information. Definitely very helpful. Fingers crossed!

Hi ltr,

What was the date on the letter? 

My letter was dated March 4th.  You may want to (if you haven't already) check the stats page from last year and see when people started hearing back about their waitlist status. I would assume that it would be around 4 weeks after the initial round of acceptances went out.

What was the date on the letter? 

Does anyone know what it might be like or if it's any different in social-work for someone who identifies as male?  I know that at Laurier they have an Inside-Out exchange program with a local female prison, which would make me think that male students are excluded.  On a general note, I think that men in social work is an interesting subject matter.  I think there is a lot of stigma towards men who are interested in working in child protection services in particular, due to the incidence of previous sexual abuse cases, which I think is very unfortunate.

Here are my stats: Philosophy major, A- average, 4 years of volunteer work in social services.

I was admitted to Laurier last week and am awaiting UofT's decision.

I am a male who will be entering a MSW program in 2013.  In my very limited experience, I have found social work to be quite welcoming.  I know at least one school I spoke to before applying was very excited to see the number of male applicants increasing.  That being said, I do think that it would be quite difficult, if not impossible, for males to work in some areas; that's just the reality of the situation. 

Does anyone know what it might be like or if it's any different in social-work for someone who identifies as male?  I know that at Laurier they have an Inside-Out exchange program with a local female prison, which would make me think that male students are excluded.  On a general note, I think that men in social work is an interesting subject matter.  I think there is a lot of stigma towards men who are interested in working in child protection services in particular, due to the incidence of previous sexual abuse cases, which I think is very unfortunate.

Here are my stats: Philosophy major, A- average, 4 years of volunteer work in social services.

I was admitted to Laurier last week and am awaiting UofT's decision.

That is quite unfortunate. I never even considered that. I've always attributed the lack of males in Social Work to the stereotype of it being women's work. I can get into a whole rant on gender issues but I'll stop myself here. Congrats on your acceptance!

Edited by jaylynn

The wait is killing me! In the mean time, I've been looking for jobs...no luck. It's all either MSW only or a BSW with 5+ years experience. I'm feeling so discouraged since I've been rejected from two schools and wait listed at U of T (which reastically, won't happen). I'm still waiting on Ryerson even though I really do not like their program. But the reality is, I need my MSW to get a job! Good luck to everyone!

The wait is killing me! In the mean time, I've been looking for jobs...no luck. It's all either MSW only or a BSW with 5+ years experience. I'm feeling so discouraged since I've been rejected from two schools and wait listed at U of T (which reastically, won't happen). I'm still waiting on Ryerson even though I really do not like their program. But the reality is, I need my MSW to get a job! Good luck to everyone!

Jax14, 

I feel as though you have described exactly how I feel. It's somewhat comforting to know that i'm not alone but like many others have said, don't throw in the towel just yet. I've been told by someone who was initially wait-listed last year (but then got in) that U of T accepts a lot of people from the waiting-list. So here's to us, hang in there :)

Jax14, 

I feel as though you have described exactly how I feel. It's somewhat comforting to know that i'm not alone but like many others have said, don't throw in the towel just yet. I've been told by someone who was initially wait-listed last year (but then got in) that U of T accepts a lot of people from the waiting-list. So here's to us, hang in there :)

Hang in there. It'll work out I'm sure. Being waitlisted is great in my opinion- especially at U of T.

At the end of the day, that MSW designation is what is going to help land you a job.  Although you may not like the Ryerson program, you will undoubtedly learn something that will help you in your career. Sure, Ryerson doesn't have the same ivy league appeal of U of T or other highly ranked universities but it is AMAZING for social work. If you get accepted, don't minimize it for a second.  It is an excellent school for social work and you will receive a quality education. Best of luck!  

At the end of the day, that MSW designation is what is going to help land you a job.  Although you may not like the Ryerson program, you will undoubtedly learn something that will help you in your career. Sure, Ryerson doesn't have the same ivy league appeal of U of T or other highly ranked universities but it is AMAZING for social work. If you get accepted, don't minimize it for a second.  It is an excellent school for social work and you will receive a quality education. Best of luck!  

I completely agree!

I'll agree with what others have said. I turned down York to go to Ryerson after consultation with a professor from U of T who informed me to go to Ryerson over York. I did not apply to U of T due to a mismatch in philosophical orientation but just know that Ryerson is known for it's social work program, both in academia and the professional world. Best of luck!