Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2013 admissions

FH 2012

I'm still holding out hope for Laurier. I was just looking over last years stats and a good portion came out the first week of april so im still crossing my fingers....Anyone hear anything from U of T 2-year program?

This is my second year going through these applications and it feels like it gets worse each year.

If you google gradcafe results it shows people who have updated when they got accepted, rejected or waitlisted as well as the school and program etc. http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php <----- you should see it there. I'm freaking out a teeny bit right now but I am hoping they didn't do all their acceptances at once?

I did a search on the results page and i can only see one entry being accepted for the 2 year program @ Laurier... am I missing something?... I think you guys shouldnt be discouraged just yet.... am hoping that Jo? could tell us a bit about his/ her profile....it could well be that he/ she is an international student;? and acceptances are given earlier than domestic students to help  them get necessary documentation early? or that he has a pretty good GPA /experience and was an outright acceptance... I still feel that most acceptances will be out early April as noted on the acknowledgement of application email...same as last year as well if you check the results page... Keep hope alive!!! :)

Hey guys so this was a HUGE comfort to me. I emailed Laurier social work admissions and they said:

Good morning,

Due to the volume of applications we are processing, all decisions will be finalized over the next few weeks.

Regards

SO they have not sent them all out. In fact it sounds like,if anything, they have only sent out a small number.

I hope this helps!

Everyone's positivity is so uplifting! I'm not getting my hopes up too high because I applied last minute since I was debating taking the year off but it would be nice not having to do this again next year. Eeek

Both k.jo and JO_O got in, so that makes 2 people. I think either their profiles are outstanding and they got early acceptances, or the first round of offers went out. Given the close proximity of Laurier to U of T, many applicants probably applied to both schools. U of T has lots of spots - 140, I believe. So when the U of T offers finally come out, I am certain that a bunch of peope will get accepted into both schools and will be turning something down. That is probably part of the reason why 50 people are put on the waitlist at Laurier - they get lots of movement and declined offers. On April 12 or a few days later, another batch of people should be getting offers from Laurier, and hopefully we'll get to know where we stand by then.

I did a search on the results page and i can only see one entry being accepted for the 2 year program @ Laurier... am I missing something?... I think you guys shouldnt be discouraged just yet.... am hoping that Jo? could tell us a bit about his/ her profile....it could well be that he/ she is an international student;? and acceptances are given earlier than domestic students to help  them get necessary documentation early? or that he has a pretty good GPA /experience and was an outright acceptance... I still feel that most acceptances will be out early April as noted on the acknowledgement of application email...same as last year as well if you check the results page... Keep hope alive!!! :)

Thanks for sharing, DREAMINGMSW. I haven't given up hope yet. It's still way too early for that.

Hey guys so this was a HUGE comfort to me. I emailed Laurier social work admissions and they said:

Good morning,
Due to the volume of applications we are processing, all decisions will be finalized over the next few weeks.
Regards

SO they have not sent them all out. In fact it sounds like,if anything, they have only sent out a small number.

I hope this helps!

I agree we should stay positive, even if the final answer is rejection. If an MSW is what you really want, don't let anything stop you from going after it. This is my attitude after talking to my mother. I was really getting anxious but she is so great, now I feel like I will be ok regardless of the outcome.

Anyhoo, if you search "Laurier" in the results you should see that 3 people have been accepted. All by email between March 22-March 23.

Both k.jo and JO_O got in, so that makes 2 people. I think either their profiles are outstanding and they got early acceptances, or the first round of offers went out. Given the close proximity of Laurier to U of T, many applicants probably applied to both schools. U of T has lots of spots - 140, I believe. So when the U of T offers finally come out, I am certain that a bunch of peope will get accepted into both schools and will be turning something down. That is probably part of the reason why 50 people are put on the waitlist at Laurier - they get lots of movement and declined offers. On April 12 or a few days later, another batch of people should be getting offers from Laurier, and hopefully we'll get to know where we stand by then.

Good point! I guess its not over until there is an actual rejection from the school(s) you applied to.

Edited by Kae Kae

Last year they DID NOT send all acceptances at once. From what I heard last year, people who were offered scholarships received their acceptances first and then people who were not offered entrance scholarships received their acceptances about a week to two weeks later.

Does anyone know if all acceptances were sent at once from Laurier last year?

Just got accepted to York's MSW program (advanced standing). Found out via MyFile. Good luck to everyone else waiting.

Contratulations!!

Last year they DID NOT send all acceptances at once. From what I heard last year, people who were offered scholarships received their acceptances first and then people who were not offered entrance scholarships received their acceptances about a week to two weeks later.

Thanks Thumper86, this is so helpful. I don't know how people do it without the forum...

thank you!!!!!

Thanks for the information :)

Do you think I can still do a thesis even though I didn't write it in my personal statement?

The number of people who do a thesis has been quite small in past years (3-5 per cohort) but this year that number has increased quite a bit (I know of at least 8 in my cohort who are pursuing a thesis but I'm sure there are more than that). Yes, when I applied to Laurier I wrote in my personal statement that it was my intent to pursue a thesis. However, my thesis topic and potential supervisor changed drastically once I started the program. You fill out the paperwork that declares your intent to pursue a thesis before the end of first term. There isn't an actual thesis course that you take, you just have to register in a the thesis course so the school knows how many people are completing a thesis.

I just got accepted into the 2-year MSW program at University of Calgary via email. :) The area of specialization that I chose was Clinical Social Work Practice.

The offer of admission letter attached to the email was dated March 14, 2013. :wacko:

Edited by J0_0

I just got accepted into the 2-year MSW program at University of Calgary via email. :) The area of specialization that I chose was Clinical Social Work Practice.

wow Congrats! you must have an amazing GPA and experience..?

Thanks! :)

My GPA is an A during the last two years of study. I have ~7 years of volunteer experience and ~2 years of work experience in a hospital (Part-time). 1 publication

wow Congrats! you must have an amazing GPA and experience..?

Edited by J0_0

Awesome stats, JO_O!  Congratulations!!!!

Thanks! :)

My GPA is an A during the last two years of study. I have ~7 years of volunteer experience and ~2 years of work experience in a hospital (Part-time). 1 publication

Yes, you can still do a thesis even if you didn't write about it in your personal statement :)

Thanks for the information :)

Do you think I can still do a thesis even though I didn't write it in my personal statement?

Hi everyone! I am new to this forum, however I have been following all of your posts since last year. This is my second time applying to the 2yr MSW program. Last year I only applied to U of T and York and was wait-listed. This year I decided to apply to U of T, York and Laurier. I have been accepted to Laurier. I was notified via email on Friday March 22nd! I will not be accepting this offer until I have heard from U of T and York!  

Congratulations on your acceptance!

I honestly want this process to be over and done with. I get anxious and edgy when my family and friends ask me if i've heard back from the schools.

agreed.... and CONGRATS ks1212!

Agreed. While I'm not anxious or edgy over this, I'll be so happy to hear the outcome, no matter what it may be. While I'm really hoping for a 2 yr MSW, I'm fully prepared to do an accelerated BSW followed by a 1 yr MSW if needed. I am so eager to leave my old career behind and embark on a new career in something that I will truly enjoy doing.

Congratulations on your acceptance!

I honestly want this process to be over and done with. I get anxious and edgy when my family and friends ask me if i've heard back from the schools.

Good news! I heard from Laurier and I got in! I'm still waiting on UofT. Does anyone know the difference between the two and which one would be the better choice? I have heard that UofT is very researched base and Laurier has a hire % of people securing jobs afterwards. .........

Good news! I heard from Laurier and I got in! I'm still waiting on UofT. Does anyone know the difference between the two and which one would be the better choice? I have heard that UofT is very researched base and Laurier has a hire % of people securing jobs afterwards. .........

congrats! did you hear today via email? Are you from Canada/ did you apply for a scholarship?