Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2013 admissions

FH 2012

Do you guys mind sharing how many years of work experience/volunteer experience you have? 

4 1/2 years as a child and youth worker in residential treatment group homes. Worked at CAS for 8 months on a temporary contact, and now employed with CMHA at a crisis centre.

Also rejected via postal service from Laurier today. Saw that coming though. My grades are decent, i think with the top 10 courses I'm over a 3.5 GPA but I lack much experience. 

Oh well. onto my backup plans, unless I get into UofT. Which I doubt.

Also rejected via postal service from Laurier today. Saw that coming though. My grades are decent, i think with the top 10 courses I'm over a 3.5 GPA but I lack much experience. 

Oh well. onto my backup plans, unless I get into UofT. Which I doubt.

Oh man...my mail is going to my mother's house. I told her if there was a letter from Laurier today that it was a rejections...I'm going to go ahead and guess that there's a 80% chance there's a letter waiting for me there right now. I think I had a pretty good package minus the experience. I want to call my mom but I don't at the same time! 

Good luck with Toronto!  :)

I've noticed that not many people have applied to York's 2-year program.  For those that have, has anyone heard back?  I called the department and was advised that decisions should be made by end of this week and into early next week.

I didn't get an email or a letter yet from Laurier...I'm from the maritimes so I'm assuming my rejection letter is on the way. 

Moving on! Thinking positive for other schools!

Edited by meg333

I've noticed that not many people have applied to York's 2-year program.  For those that have, has anyone heard back?  I called the department and was advised that decisions should be made by end of this week and into early next week.

They took forever to tell me last year (It was end of April), so I am not even bothering to check this year! Hopefully not as many people applied this year because they were turned off from their process last year!

Hey all! 

Just got an email that I've been put on the waitlist at Laurier! WOW! I feel like I've been accepted...wasn't expecting this at all! 

That's amazing!!! congrats!!!

As for York: one of my friends was rejected a while back (for the 2-year). So if you have not heard anything yet, they are still looking over your application!

Edited by DreamingMSW

Still nothing from York or Ryerson. Starting to lose hope here when I guess some people on this forum have already heard....

I haven't heard from York either. Did you apply for the 1 year or 2 year program. My York file says "Decision Not Made"

I haven't heard either. I applied for the 2 - Year program. It says "Decison Not Made" in my file.

5 years as a nursing assistant, 1 1/2 yrs volunteering at a crisis centre once a week, and a fulltime internship for a semester at a psychiatric centre doing social and recreational activities.

That's great experience!! Are you excpeting Laurier?

Still nothing for me.... really starting to get super worried and I'm feeling very confident I didn't get in. They probably don't take my 2nd degree into consideration and my 1st undergrad GPA isn't high enough, so despite the ridiculous amount of work experience and my killer marks from my child studies degree, I have some serious doubts. Trying to come up with a plan B....

Don't give up yet!!

Oh man...my mail is going to my mother's house. I told her if there was a letter from Laurier today that it was a rejections...I'm going to go ahead and guess that there's a 80% chance there's a letter waiting for me there right now. I think I had a pretty good package minus the experience. I want to call my mom but I don't at the same time! 

Good luck with Toronto!  :)

You can do it Beth! Check the mail :)

As for York: one of my friends was rejected a while back (for the 2-year). So if you have not heard anything yet, they are still looking over your application!

Woo hoooo!!  So does that mean if someone rejects you get in??

If your friend was rejected a while back for the 2 year, that likely means that she was rejected by the general graduate admissions dept because her application was either missing something or her grades were below the posted minimum.  Everyone else who at least meets the minimum requirements moves on to the Social Work dept and goes through the rigorous selection process.

I haven't heard from York either. Did you apply for the 1 year or 2 year program. My York file says "Decision Not Made"

I applied to the 1 yr programs at Ryerson and York. So, I'm kind of worried....

I was thinking the same thing too... but this was her response -

Hello,

I am responding to your email address. Decisions for the two-year MSW Program will be sent out the week of April 15, 2013.

Regards,

Angela Umbrello

Thanks!