Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2013 admissions

FH 2012

Kae Kae,

The more I hear about the assignments you're getting, the more I think this program would really be a great fit for me. I really hope the admissions committee will agree with my opinion. :)

I find the reading and assignment load reasonable but I have only taken one course per term for the last 3 terms so I bet a full course load will be much more challenging. For the writing, there were only like 3 or 4 omponents that contributed to the entire grade so for one class it was 15%-participation, 30%-presentation (leading the 3 hour class),15%-small paper (6-8 pages) and 50%-final paper 15-20pages. It seems like there is always one major paper that is like 15-25 pages long. So I guess if you're taking a full course load you would have 4 long papers in a term. What the students told me was to mix the required courses with the electives becuase electives are less demanding. But I was asking for the 2 year program, I think in your 1 year program it may be differnt.

I don't think they are concerned with doing a lot of assignment work. What I hate is the presentations, they have high expectations for those and they are long!!! For the long papers I have had to do a proposal first telling them what I was going to write about and they gave feedback, I found this very helpful. Two of the courses required reflextion jounals on the readings instead of the minor paper. I hate these, they are so time consuming but they are due in batches. If you keep up with them throughout the term, they are ok. Hope this helps!

Thumper and Kae Kae, thank you so much for your awesome responses!  This is exactly the type of information I was hoping for.  In the 1yr program at U of T, you start your practicum right in september for 3days/wk.  A full courseload is 4 course plus practicum.  I'm not sure how I will manage that type of essay work and still be able to sleep most nights!  Are these mostly research essays? Kae Kae, are presentations done individually or in groups? If it is on your own, yikes!

I realize that this may not be the right forum for these questions but hopefully others are benefiting from your very helpful answers as well!

Thank you both so much :)

The presentations are in groups so that is always nice. I think I have trouble with them because I love writing but presenting makes me nervous and having to lead a 2.5 hour discussion...torture.

The program is great! Is there anything in particular you'd like to know?

I commute from Toronto.

Laurier's program is much bigger than York's, do you find that the students are close knit? Is it impersonal or do you feel like you can talk to the faculty? What about the building, is it nice? What stream are you doing?

Kae Kae,

The more I hear about the assignments you're getting, the more I think this program would really be a great fit for me. I really hope the admissions committee will agree with my opinion. :)

Well I hope you get in then! Honestly, York is not the best at a lot of things, and some things are just down right sucky but I think their Social Work program is very good.

My cohort has about 84 people in the two-year stream and we are very close! In first semester we took 5 courses with many of the same students three days per week so we built very close relationships. Now that we are in placement we only see one another once per week so we've lost a little of that initial bond. The faculty are very approachable and friendly, and they're always willing to chat. The building is nice but I find the Kitchener campus very isolating. Main campus is 20 minutes away so we're the only Laurier students in that immediate area. I'm in the IFG stream and I'm doing a thesis.

Laurier's program is much bigger than York's, do you find that the students are close knit? Is it impersonal or do you feel like you can talk to the faculty? What about the building, is it nice? What stream are you doing?.

Congrats! I was also accepted into the 2 year at Calgary last night. I am extremely excited, but also unsure how to proceed because the deadline for responding is so soon! How can I make this decision without knowing the verdict of other schools like UofT and Laurier? 

Do you suggest accepting and then perhaps declining later? Should I call the other schools?

I would personally accept, because you never know what will happen. The decision is up to you. I accepted because it was my first and only choice. :)

Thanks for everyone's kind words :)

Congrats! I am really hoping to hear on U of C myself soon... I hope I get in!!!!

(maybe you can tell me how you did it?  :) )

As for how I got in... it was a last minute decision to apply. I only applied to one school. However, I did a lot of research on the program and decided it was the best fit. I have a BA in family studies and a B.Ed in the senior stream. I taught for a year at a school for children with autism and this year I traveled around the province doing preventive education workshops on the topic of human trafficking and sexual exploitation. I want to continue my research into this area, working on preventive education for sexual exploitation and gang recruitment. 

Thanks for everyone's kind words :)

As for how I got in... it was a last minute decision to apply. I only applied to one school. However, I did a lot of research on the program and decided it was the best fit. I have a BA in family studies and a B.Ed in the senior stream. I taught for a year at a school for children with autism and this year I traveled around the province doing preventive education workshops on the topic of human trafficking and sexual exploitation. I want to continue my research into this area, working on preventive education for sexual exploitation and gang recruitment. 

Congrats! Sounds like you will be a wonderful addition to the world of Social Work. Maybe I'll get in, too and we can work together :) (Where did you teach? I did a stint at Renfrew's Specialized Autism Services program last year)

Hi Thumper,

How many days a week do you have placement? Will your placement days increase for the 2nd year or stay the same? 

I also wanted to again thank you for coming on to this site and posting--it is incredibly helpful for those of us wondering what things will be like.. 

Thanks!

My cohort has about 84 people in the two-year stream and we are very close! In first semester we took 5 courses with many of the same students three days per week so we built very close relationships. Now that we are in placement we only see one another once per week so we've lost a little of that initial bond. The faculty are very approachable and friendly, and they're always willing to chat. The building is nice but I find the Kitchener campus very isolating. Main campus is 20 minutes away so we're the only Laurier students in that immediate area. I'm in the IFG stream and I'm doing a thesis.

Thanks Thumper, that is very usefl. Laurier sounds so nice, I hope I get in. I am starting to prepare as if I won't get in though. We will see.

I also wanted to again thank you for coming on to this site and posting--it is incredibly helpful for those of us wondering what things will be like.. 

Ditto! Its super helpful.

Two-year students (1st placement) are in placement 4 days per week from January until mid April and then for 3 days per week from mid April until the end of June. If you do a thesis your first placement is shortened by 6 weeks.

Two-year students (2nd placement) are in placement 4 days per week from September until mid December.

No problem, this site is a great break from reading and writing lol

Hi Thumper,

How many days a week do you have placement? Will your placement days increase for the 2nd year or stay the same?

I also wanted to again thank you for coming on to this site and posting--it is incredibly helpful for those of us wondering what things will be like..

Thanks!

Update on CalgaryU 2 year program: I called yesterday asking for an update on the status of my application and they said they are sending them out next week.  I asked if any acceptances were already given and she said there hasn't been, yet she was thrown off and paused awkwardly when I said I heard some people has received their acceptance.

I am feeling discouraged now, thinking maybe they only replied back to those who got in so far....

Meg333,

You can only wait and see about Calgary. I suspect a lot of schools send out acceptances and rejections first. To cut down on extra administrative work, they probably hold off on responding to people who almost made it into the program because they don't know how many people will turn down their offers for another school. In my opinion, when the offers start rolling out, no news can be good news. Lots of people get multiple offers and free up extra spots.

Best of luck!

Edited by jenste

I also haven't heard back from ucalgary. I called today and she explained that they are probably sending out offers according to rank

Update on CalgaryU 2 year program: I called yesterday asking for an update on the status of my application and they said they are sending them out next week. I asked if any acceptances were already given and she said there hasn't been, yet she was thrown off and paused awkwardly when I said I heard some people has received their acceptance.

I am feeling discouraged now, thinking maybe they only replied back to those who got in so far....

Still nothing for me from York or Ryerson. I want to say no news is good news, but since people have been hearing back already I'm not too hopeful....

***Help: If anyone knows of any job postings (social work or social work related) in the Ottawa or Toronto area that would be great. I'm looking to move out of the Peterborough area since there is no stable work here.....relief work at CMHA is just giving me enough to barely get by...any info would be appreciated...

Edited by scotto123

Scotto, sorry to hear that you are still waiting. It really is an awful feeling...you want to stay positive but negative thoughts keep surfacing anyway.  I don't think it would do much harm for you to call both schools just to find out if they have made a decision on your file. You may not learn what that decision is, but at least you will have an idea of where you stand.

I have always found www.charityvillage.com to be a great resource for finding employment (or even local volunteer opportunities).  It is not just for Toronto, it posts positions across Canada. I haven't used it in a while but I have successfully found jobs there in the past. Of course you can always check on specific agency websites for job opportunities as well.

Still nothing for me from York or Ryerson. I want to say no news is good news, but since people have been hearing back already I'm not too hopeful....

***Help: If anyone knows of any job postings (social work or social work related) in the Ottawa or Toronto area that would be great. I'm looking to move out of the Peterborough area since there is no stable work here.....relief work at CMHA is just giving me enough to barely get by...any info would be appreciated...

michmenhennet

Hi all, I'm a new member and I wish I had known about this forum back in late November when I was writing my application letters with a box of Kleenex and a bottle of wine!  At any rate, it's nice to know I am not alone in the waiting game.  I am frustrated by the waiting list phenomenon, and I am wondering if anyone can speak to this experience.  This is my first time applying and I am wondering how realistic it is to expect admission based on position in a wait list.  How much movement is there, normally?  Does anyone know?

BTW, Calgary is the last school I am waiting to hear from.....I hope they get it in gear soon!

Applied:  Victoria, McMaster, Calgary, Dalhousie

Rejected:

Waitlisted:  Victoria, McMaster

Accepted:  Dalhousie

Welcome! :)

I was not waitlisted but anecdotally I can say that *usually* there is some movement... but it really depends on the school.  You may want to find out if the school has a ranked waitlist. This way you will know how realistic it would be for your individual situation (obviously ranked 4th is a lot more promising than 63rd). 

Do you have a preferred school? Is there a reason why you would want to wait rather than accept your admission to Dalhousie?

michmenhennet

Hi all, I'm a new member and I wish I had known about this forum back in late November when I was writing my application letters with a box of Kleenex and a bottle of wine!  At any rate, it's nice to know I am not alone in the waiting game.  I am frustrated by the waiting list phenomenon, and I am wondering if anyone can speak to this experience.  This is my first time applying and I am wondering how realistic it is to expect admission based on position in a wait list.  How much movement is there, normally?  Does anyone know?

BTW, Calgary is the last school I am waiting to hear from.....I hope they get it in gear soon!

Applied:  Victoria, McMaster, Calgary, Dalhousie

Rejected:

Waitlisted:  Victoria, McMaster

Accepted:  Dalhousie

Hey k.jo and student 2668,

Congratulations on being accepted! Can I ask what specialization you picked for your application (Clinical Social Work Practice or International and Community Development)?

Hi Nalor,

This is the Social Work thread and I don't believe that Guelph has an MSW program. You might have better luck using the "Canadian School Applicants" thread in the 'Waiting it Out forum".

Good luck!

Anyone heard from University of Guelph? I applied to the Food, agri. and resource economics program.

Edited by MSW13

Hi stary,

I am in the International and Community Dev. specialization. I have decided to accept Calgary's offer but if I get accepted to a school in ON, there's a good chance I will pull out. On the flip side though, they do have a very clearly defined stream for Int'l SW!  Trying to sort out the Program vs. Location dilemma!

Best of luck on your applications!

Hey k.jo and student 2668,

Congratulations on being accepted! Can I ask what specialization you picked for your application (Clinical Social Work Practice or International and Community Development)?

Welcome! :)

I was not waitlisted but anecdotally I can say that *usually* there is some movement... but it really depends on the school.  You may want to find out if the school has a ranked waitlist. This way you will know how realistic it would be for your individual situation (obviously ranked 4th is a lot more promising than 63rd). 

Do you have a preferred school? Is there a reason why you would want to wait rather than accept your admission to Dalhousie?

@ MSW13:  My preferred schools are Victoria and Calgary, both because I think their programs best match my learning goals, and I like both the flexibility of distance education and getting it done full time.  Dalhousie is available part time only, which means less pressure, but a much longer time to get it done.  I am lining myself up for advancement to a management position in my agency, and while they have made it clear that they would like to promote me, they will not offer even an formal interview until the MSW is completed (not merely in progress). 

I am eighth on the list for UVic, and third for McMaster (my alma mater).  STILL waiting to hear from Calgary........

Edited by michmenhennet

Congratulations Hopeful111!! Starting in May?! Wow, that is soon! Enjoy!!! :)

I got accepted into Windsors Advanced Standing Program today!!! Starting in may! so exciting!!!!

Congratulations Hopeful111!! Starting in May?! Wow, that is soon! Enjoy!!! :)

Congrats to all those who have been accepted so far and good luck to those waitlisted and those yet to hear back from the schools.

Good luck on the waitlist! It sounds like you are positioned pretty well, especially at Mac. Hopefully you will hear something positive soon.  If Dalhousie becomes your only option, is it possible to do your practicum at your current workplace?

@ MSW13:  My preferred schools are Victoria and Calgary, both because I think their programs best match my learning goals, and I like both the flexibility of distance education and getting it done full time.  Dalhousie is available part time only, which means less pressure, but a much longer time to get it done.  I am lining myself up for advancement to a management position in my agency, and while they have made it clear that they would like to promote me, they will not offer even an formal interview until the MSW is completed (not merely in progress). 

I am eighth on the list for UVic, and third for McMaster (my alma mater).  STILL waiting to hear from Calgary........