Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2013 admissions

FH 2012

Don't worry, just go back to their website:

http://www1.carleton.ca/socialwork/2013/2013-14-msw-applicants-admissions-decisions

it said that:

Some of you may have noticed that this status has changed to “Review in Progress by Department“.  This means all offers need final approval of the Faculty of Graduate and Post-Doctoral Affairs (FGPA) before they can be sent to successful applicants.

See, I got an email saying that I was waitlisted but my account still states "Review in Progress by Department", so I don't know what's going on. I'm assuming that I'm still waitlisted, but I can hope can't I? 

I would LOVE to get into Windsor...it's been my first choice school since I started looking into Windsor. AccioMSW, I feel like we have the same goals! Applied to the same schools, have the same preference! What "stream" did you apply to? How long was your professional experience form? 

I would like to stop freaking out now but I have a feeling that that's impossible these days. 

Agreed! I applied to the health stream. What I'd like to do is individual, group, and family counselling to help people dealing with stressors in their lives. My professional experience form was 4 pages long, 3 of them including long-term employment/volunteer/practicum experience and one page of "Other" professional activities which basically contained any volunteering that didn't last for more than a day. I'm the most worried if I actually have enough volunteer experience in social services as some of them are only on a one hour a week basis but hopefully it'll be enough in the end since I have a pretty good GPA. What stream did you pick and how long was your professional experience form?

I know what you mean! My stress levels have never been so high! I am very organized so it drives me crazy that I don't have any idea of what I'll be doing in the fall. I was the least stressed with waiting last week as I had enough school work to keep me busy but now there is a lull again so my mind is on overdrive. Luckily there are only about 4 weeks left, give or take :)

Edited by AccioMSW

Agreed! I applied to the health stream. What I'd like to do is individual, group, and family counselling to help people dealing with stressors in their lives. My professional experience form was 4 pages long, 3 of them including long-term employment/volunteer/practicum experience and one page of "Other" professional activities which basically contained any volunteering that didn't last for more than a day. I'm the most worried if I actually have enough volunteer experience in social services as some of them are only on a one hour a week basis but hopefully it'll be enough in the end since I have a pretty good GPA. What stream did you pick and how long was your professional experience form?

I know what you mean! My stress levels have never been so high! I am very organized so it drives me crazy that I don't have any idea of what I'll be doing in the fall. I was the least stressed with waiting last week as I had enough school work to keep me busy but now there is a lull again so my mind is on overdrive. Luckily there are only about 4 weeks left, give or take :)

I also applied to the health stream....originally I put child welfare but my academic reference advised me not to do this because ideally I want to work with individuals with disabilities. I think my dream position would be in the education field somewhere as a consultant in special education and behavioural problems. My professional profile form was five pages long BUT I included most of those "one day" placements in my list and my other professional activities included positions I've held or workshops I'd completed. I'm not sure about my GPA, as they are only calculating the last 20 courses I would have a low 80. So not amazing but at least higher than the "cut-off". 

I really don't think I have a great chance because for some reason I feel my age plays into it (I'm only 21) and that even though I have a lot of experience and have been so involved during my undergrad, I'm worried that I won't have appropriate relevant experiences. But who knows! 

I also applied to the health stream....originally I put child welfare but my academic reference advised me not to do this because ideally I want to work with individuals with disabilities. I think my dream position would be in the education field somewhere as a consultant in special education and behavioural problems. My professional profile form was five pages long BUT I included most of those "one day" placements in my list and my other professional activities included positions I've held or workshops I'd completed. I'm not sure about my GPA, as they are only calculating the last 20 courses I would have a low 80. So not amazing but at least higher than the "cut-off".    I really don't think I have a great chance because for some reason I feel my age plays into it (I'm only 21) and that even though I have a lot of experience and have been so involved during my undergrad, I'm worried that I won't have appropriate relevant experiences. But who knows! 
I'm also 21 so I'm worried that the amount of relevant experience isn't enough since it's so hard to go to school, work and volunteer! I'm keeping my expectations very low. I know either way I'll be disappointed if I don't get in but hyping it up in my head definitely won't benefit me. Fingers crossed for the both of us!

Not a thing.

The only thing I can say for sure is that this anticipation is doing me in.  The stress is making me sleeping and its a good day when  I can focus on a task for 30min straight without checking on my status somewhere.  ...someone wake me up when decisions are out...  :P

Anyone heard anything from UofT or York?

Two of my classmates got letters from UofT today saying they are on the waitlist.  I have yet to hear from them but my guess is I would be soon, regardless of what their decision is.  The waiting is almost over. :)

Edited by Kreamy

Thanks so much for posting this!  Do you know if their online status changed from 'under review' to 'decision made'? Did the letter give any indication about how many people applied and were accepted?  (you totally knew someone would drill you with questions, didn't you? :P )

Two of my classmates got letters from UofT today saying they are on the waitlist.  I have yet to hear from them but my guess is I would be soon, regardless of what their decision is.  The waiting is almost over. :)

Found out that apparently people received wait-list letters from UofT today. I received nothing and I obsessively check the mail! 

Starting to really get worried that I'm not going to get in anywhere this year  :( I'm freaking out!!!  :wacko:

Found out that apparently people received wait-list letters from UofT today. I received nothing and I obsessively check the mail! 

Starting to really get worried that I'm not going to get in anywhere this year  :( I'm freaking out!!!  :wacko:

Jax14 would you happen to know if the wait-listed for u of t is for advanced standing or does it include the 2-year program as well?

Jax14 would you happen to know if the wait-listed for u of t is for advanced standing or does it include the 2-year program as well?

I believe it is for advanced standing as everyone I know who has applied, applied for advanced standing since we are all completing our BSWs right now.

I know its hard but try to stay positive. There are many reasons why you (and me and many others) did not hear anything today.  They may have just started the mailings with waitlisted people first, who knows??  Were these your classmates? Did they choose the same stream as you?

I just hope I hear something before the weekend!

Good luck to you!

I agree with, MSW13. There are many reasons why you may not have received a letter yet, including the fact that Canada Post has much slower service these days due to less staff and increased workloads. (Just read a big article about it in the newspaper a few days ago). Their services have become very unreliable lately.  

Hang in there... the wait is almost over.

I agree with, MSW13. There are many reasons why you may not have received a letter yet, including the fact that Canada Post has much slower service these days due to less staff and increased workloads. (Just read a big article about it in the newspaper a few days ago). Their services have become very unreliable lately.  

Hang in there... the wait is almost over.

I applied to the advanced standing at U of T as well and I did not receive anything. I'm sure everyone will know soon enough. I'm stressing really bad right now, but I can't really let myself be affected by it. Especially when I'm trying to find stable work in the Peterborough area that is in my field!

Sending good vibes all around!

Hi Scotto123,

Since you have a BSW, can you tell me what the job market is like for people with a BSW? This is my plan B, if the MSW does not work out so I was just wondering. I hear most jobs ask for an MSW rather than a BSW. Do you find this to be the case? I suppose one could always apply for social service worker jobs and be a bit overly qualified, although the salaries are probably significantly lower.

I applied to the advanced standing at U of T as well and I did not receive anything. I'm sure everyone will know soon enough. I'm stressing really bad right now, but I can't really let myself be affected by it. Especially when I'm trying to find stable work in the Peterborough area that is in my field!

Sending good vibes all around!

Hi Jenste,

I've only just recently graduated with my BSW, but I've been working in the social services field for over 5 years now. So in that regard, if you have  a BSW, you usually have a good chance of getting work. MSW's become more common usually in bigger cities. I got a job with CAS right out of university on a temporary contract. So, it's just knowing what jobs are out there and what is offered.

I hope this was helpful...

Right now, I'm working at CMHA as a "relief" crisis worker, so the pay is decent but not as good as say CAS or being a case manager within CMHA. All depends on what your passion lies within social work. MSW's are usually a must in schools, hospitals, and private practice (Counselling). Also, it really depends on how the job market is in your community. In January, Peterborough (where I am) was 2nd highest in Canada for unemployment; it hasn't gotten any better either....

Hi Scotto123,

Since you have a BSW, can you tell me what the job market is like for people with a BSW? This is my plan B, if the MSW does not work out so I was just wondering. I hear most jobs ask for an MSW rather than a BSW. Do you find this to be the case? I suppose one could always apply for social service worker jobs and be a bit overly qualified, although the salaries are probably significantly lower.

Edited by scotto123

Hi Jenste,

I've only just recently graduated with my BSW, but I've been working in the social services field for over 5 years now. So in that regard, if you have  a BSW, you usually have a good chance of getting work. MSW's become more common usually in bigger cities. I got a job with CAS right out of university on a temporary contract. So, it's just knowing what jobs are out there and what is offered.

I hope this was helpful...

Right now, I'm working at CMHA as a "relief" crisis worker, so the pay is decent but not as good as say CAS or being a case manager within CMHA. All depends on what your passion lies within social work. MSW's are usually a must in schools, hospitals, and private practice (Counselling). Also, it really depends on how the job market is in your community. In January, Peterborough (where I am) was 2nd highest in Canada for unemployment; it hasn't gotten any better either....

Thanks Scotto123,

That info was really helpful. I'd really like to get out of the big city and move to a smaller city, so I guess it could work out well for my career if I end up going the BSW/MSW route. I'd prefer to work in a hospital, but if life doesn't go my way and I only get into a BSW program, I could work at a non-profit for a while and get an MSW later on and that would be alright, too.

Sorry to hear about the job market in Peterborough. My friend lived there for years and she told my all about the job market situation (although she is in a different field). It sounds like you've got lots of experience in the field so when the right opportunity comes along you will be a strong candidate for the job. Don't get discouraged.

Edited by jenste

No, my classmate said the online status remained the same at least for now.  I don't think the letter mentioned anything about how many are waitlisted.... or he didn't tell me it if it had lol!

We should receive something in the mail real soon!! (Advanced standing students.) :)

Thanks so much for posting this!  Do you know if their online status changed from 'under review' to 'decision made'? Did the letter give any indication about how many people applied and were accepted?  (you totally knew someone would drill you with questions, didn't you? :P )

I don't understand why all universities don't follow Carleton's method of delivering acceptances/declines/waitlists. Email is a lot more practical and this waiting game is adding to my stress level each and every day I don't hear anything back....

It's definitely quicker, cheaper and more convenient to send out emails. But perhaps they get a lot more questions when they send out emails and they want to reduce their administrative duties. That would be my guess, anyway. Nonetheless, I still find it kind of archaic when universities do not do most of their work via computer.

I don't understand why all universities don't follow Carleton's method of delivering acceptances/declines/waitlists. Email is a lot more practical and this waiting game is adding to my stress level each and every day I don't hear anything back....

It's definitely quicker, cheaper and more convenient to send out emails. But perhaps they get a lot more questions when they send out emails and they want to reduce their administrative duties. That would be my guess, anyway. Nonetheless, I still find it kind of archaic when universities do not do most of their work via computer.

I think getting an acceptance via actual mail is a lot more exciting than via email! haha

But waitlists and rejections would be more practical via email.

Agreed. While snail mail takes forever, it's nice to have something tangible. As for U of T, I have also heard of a rejection letter that came yesterday for the advanced standing program.  Hopefully we'll all hear soon enough. 

Several of my classmates ended up doing hospital placements.  It's definitely a possibility in BSW programs.  To work in one, however, you need your MSW and several years of relevant experience.

Thanks Scotto123,

That info was really helpful. I'd really like to get out of the big city and move to a smaller city, so I guess it could work out well for my career if I end up going the BSW/MSW route. I'd prefer to work in a hospital, but if life doesn't go my way and I only get into a BSW program, I could work at a non-profit for a while and get an MSW later on and that would be alright, too.

Sorry to hear about the job market in Peterborough. My friend lived there for years and she told my all about the job market situation (although she is in a different field). It sounds like you've got lots of experience in the field so when the right opportunity comes along you will be a strong candidate for the job. Don't get discouraged.

Thanks, that's good to know.  Maybe no news is good news for all of us who are still playing the waiting game!

Agreed. While snail mail takes forever, it's nice to have something tangible. As for U of T, I have also heard of a rejection letter that came yesterday for the advanced standing program.  Hopefully we'll all hear soon enough.