Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2013 admissions

FH 2012

Just got my letter today- I have been waitlisted for U of T and asked to send back a form stating that I want to remain on the wait list. Chances are though I probably won't make it past the wait list. 

HUGE Congratulations, MSW13! You definitely deserve this acceptance! All your hard work has paid off, don't leave too soon though, may need some of your advice and inspiration in the future! 

I just got my package telling me that I've been admitted to the MSW program at U of T.  I am so very happy! I was rejected outright last year and worked really hard to get my gpa up. 

I just got my package telling me that I've been admitted to the MSW program at U of T.  I am so very happy! I was rejected outright last year and worked really hard to get my gpa up. 

Congratulations!! I so wish I got accepted, its my dream school and program! If I've been wait listed, what is the chance I can actually make it? Or should I just give up?

Thank you so much Beth! I will definitely be reading/posting on gradcafe for a while still  :) This is such an emotionally draining process.... I'm looking forward to hearing about how things work out for you and others.  When I was rejected last year, I felt so 'left behind'. It seemed like everyone got accepted somewhere and I was left out.  Of course logically that wasn't true. I chose to focus on my plan B and tried my very best.  I am thankful that the admissions committee recognized my improvement.   

HUGE Congratulations, MSW13! You definitely deserve this acceptance! All your hard work has paid off, don't leave too soon though, may need some of your advice and inspiration in the future! 

Congratulations! So well-deserved! I hope you're feeling a weight lifted off your shoulders. Is U of T your first choice?

Thank you! Dont give up on the waitlist just yet. Last year, it DID move and I recall one person getting off of it in September!  Since you haven't heard from Ryerson yet, you still have a good chance of getting admitted.  If the worst happens, just make sure you have a plan 'B' and start on it right away. 

Hang in there, it ain't over till it's over! :)   

Congratulations!! I so wish I got accepted, its my dream school and program! If I've been wait listed, what is the chance I can actually make it? Or should I just give up?

Thank you cmarie! It was actually my only choice.  I wanted to apply to other schools but after being rejected last year, I decided to save my $$ and only apply to the schools that I truly wanted to attend. In this case, it was U of T.  I studied their program and made sure my application reflected their goals well. It was a real gamble to apply to only one school but I was comfortable with my decision. 

Congratulations! So well-deserved! I hope you're feeling a weight lifted off your shoulders. Is U of T your first choice?

Thank you cmarie! It was actually my only choice.  I wanted to apply to other schools but after being rejected last year, I decided to save my $$ and only apply to the schools that I truly wanted to attend. In this case, it was U of T.  I studied their program and made sure my application reflected their goals well. It was a real gamble to apply to only one school but I was comfortable with my decision. 

Ohh, I totally get it. I also only applied to one school, York. I did the post-degree BSW there, and really only felt comfortable applying to a school where I was familiar with their social work philosophy and goals. Fingers crossed! I can totally understand wanting to save $ too. Congrats again! Go out and celebrate!

Wow....congratulations! am soo happy for you! have been reading through past threads from last year and I know how you have worked for this dream... hard work and persistence really pays... congrats once again and best wishes to all waiting ! :)

I know its hard but try to stay positive. There are many reasons why you (and me and many others) did not hear anything today.  They may have just started the mailings with waitlisted people first, who knows??  Were these your classmates? Did they choose the same stream as you?

I just hope I hear something before the weekend!

Good luck to you!

That is so amazing MSW13! Congrats! All that anxious waiting paid off and now you can relax and celebrate. UofT is also my ultimate goal. I was on the fence of whether or not I should apply to the two year program this year because I didn't feel like I had enough experience but I ended up applying just so they could see next year that I improved and I'm committed to getting in. I don't plan on taking extra undergrad courses to raise my GPA after this year because I think my GPA should be okay, but I just got a job working with children and young adults who have developmental disabilities and I may do a graduate certificate in youth corrections/interventions next year. Your story gives me hope! 

Edited by jaylynn

Thank you so very much everybody, I am truly touched by all of the kind words.  This is such a hard process that many cant truly appreciate unless they've gone through it.  I'm so glad that I have had such a great group of supportive people to go through with this together :)  

If you happen to get denied this year, dont let it hold you back.  Go to the information session next year (U of T had them in Sept/Oct/Nov...possibly one session in the summer, if I remember correctly) and find out what they are looking for. You can always improve on your application and have better success next year. If you are waitlisted, hang in there. You just never know! If you end up not getting a spot, reapply next year! Again, don't let it hold you back. 

CONGRATULATIONS!! I was following the forum last year, I wasn't ready to apply but I was just curious. I was disappointed for you when you didn't get in. Its encouraging to know that if it doesn't work this year, with some hard work and determination, there is always next year.

Congrats MSW13!! I still haven't heard anything from U of T yet, but I don't live in the area (mailing issue?). My profile still says "under review", so hopefully that doesn't mean I have been waitlisted or denied...

Anyways, congrats!!!

Thank you!  If it helps, the package I received was post stamped for March 5th.  I live just barely north of the city so I suspect I fall within the 'local' mailing zone.  As well, my status still says 'under review'.  I recall last year I heard (sorry cant remember the source!) that the status wont change for a while and even when it does, it wont tell you the decision, only that one has been made.

Congrats MSW13!! I still haven't heard anything from U of T yet, but I don't live in the area (mailing issue?). My profile still says "under review", so hopefully that doesn't mean I have been waitlisted or denied...

Anyways, congrats!!!

Thank you both! I hope I didn't say anything awful last year! haha

It is still sinking in...but it feels great to know that things can and do work out for the best as long as you give it effort. :)

CONGRATULATIONS!! I was following the forum last year, I wasn't ready to apply but I was just curious. I was disappointed for you when you didn't get in. Its encouraging to know that if it doesn't work this year, with some hard work and determination, there is always next year.

Wow....congratulations! am soo happy for you! have been reading through past threads from last year and I know how you have worked for this dream... hard work and persistence really pays... congrats once again and best wishes to all waiting ! :)

Thank you!  If it helps, the package I received was post stamped for March 5th.  I live just barely north of the city so I suspect I fall within the 'local' mailing zone.  As well, my status still says 'under review'.  I recall last year I heard (sorry cant remember the source!) that the status wont change for a while and even when it does, it wont tell you the decision, only that one has been made.

Yeah I live in Peterborough, so that's about close to two hours away from Toronto. So, hopefully I'll hear something tomorrow or on Monday. Thanks for the info! Hopefully if I get good news, I'll see you on campus!

***Got the mail; Waitlisted.

Edited by scotto123

For those of you who have heard back from U of T, I was wondering if you could be of assistance. I have also applied for the MSW program, Advanced Standing, but unfortunately for me, I am currently attending school in another province. As a result of this, I will be asking my family to send me the letter from U of T (sent to my home address) to me directly so that I can open it myself. However, I would like to know the following: For a wait-listed letter and an acceptance letter, is there a difference in the size of the envelope? I know this may sound trivial, but it will give me an idea whether I have been accepted based on the size of envelope. I am really anxious about my application and so, any hints as to whether I have been accepted would be greatly appreciated.

Congrats to those who got in and good luck to those who haven’t heard back from their respective universities. And for those who didn’t get it, spend a year working in the field, and try again next year. Stay passionate about your goal of becoming a social worker.

Are you concerned about anything in particular about your previous application?  I dont think they do a side-by-side comparison but they must have some type of system flagging that it is your second time applying. If you were lacking in a particular area (for example, level/type of experience, I would suspect that they look for signs of improvement.

Hey, to anyone that has applied to U of T and has been rejected before: do you know if the committee looks at the previous application?

CONGRATULATIONS MSW13!!!  I am very happy for you.  I received my offer of admission from UofT today too.  My first choice is Laurier though so I will wait to see if they will extend any offers to me in the next 4 weeks.  If not I will be seeing you in class in September!

By the way, which stream are you in? :) 

Congratulations! So excited for you :) it's crazy how none of us have ever actually met but have created such a strong support system! Now you can finally breathe and relax. No more stress, enjoy!

And the waiting game continues for Ryerson...somehow I remain a little more hopeful about Ryerson even though it is my last choice! When will the answer come?!

Hello,

The acceptance 'letter' is actually a large brown envelope with a number of important papers placed in a folder. I am assuming that the waitlist notice is similar to a rejection letter which comes in a regular sized letter envelope.

All the best for good news!

For those of you who have heard back from U of T, I was wondering if you could be of assistance. I have also applied for the MSW program, Advanced Standing, but unfortunately for me, I am currently attending school in another province. As a result of this, I will be asking my family to send me the letter from U of T (sent to my home address) to me directly so that I can open it myself. However, I would like to know the following: For a wait-listed letter and an acceptance letter, is there a difference in the size of the envelope? I know this may sound trivial, but it will give me an idea whether I have been accepted based on the size of envelope. I am really anxious about my application and so, any hints as to whether I have been accepted would be greatly appreciated.

Congrats to those who got in and good luck to those who haven’t heard back from their respective universities. And for those who didn’t get it, spend a year working in the field, and try again next year. Stay passionate about your goal of becoming a social worker.

Edited by MSW13