Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2013 admissions

FH 2012

I wonder where this surge in applications are coming from?! The past few years have been relatively stable in terms of numbers...but there does seem to be an upward trend.  I can only imagine that there are more people getting degrees in fields that are only relevant (for employment purposes) with an advanced degree (ie/ psychology, womens studies, etc). Social work seems to be the go-to profession for people who studied the social sciences. 

But it is also important to know that many people apply who do not have strong credentials. So even though the numbers are going up, that doesn't necessarily mean that the calibre of competition has also increased.  At least that is what I keep telling myself, haha.

I wonder where this surge in applications are coming from?! The past few years have been relatively stable in terms of numbers...but there does seem to be an upward trend.  I can only imagine that there are more people getting degrees in fields that are only relevant (for employment purposes) with an advanced degree (ie/ psychology, womens studies, etc). Social work seems to be the go-to profession for people who studied the social sciences.    But it is also important to know that many people apply who do not have strong credentials. So even though the numbers are going up, that doesn't necessarily mean that the calibre of competition has also increased.  At least that is what I keep telling myself, haha.
That's what I'm hoping for. I've been planning on doing this since the second year of my psych degree and have been super organized. A fellow student in my classes asked what I was doing after I got my psych and English degree and I said the MSW and she decided right then and there that she'd try that too. I was so mad considering this has always been my plan and she just decided this! I'll be pretty upset if she gets in and I don't because I basically gave her the idea :(

Ugh, know what you mean.  You put so much time and effort into this process, it is definitely frustrating when people just jump on the bandwagon without much thought. They also seem to be the same people who are super lucky and always seem to come out on top. Undoubtedly you will hear about people who got in who seem to have no business being there and people who are total stars who get rejected.  It is the nature of this process.  The admissions committee only gets a snapshot image of you through your documents and you just have to believe that you showed your capabilities the best way possible.  As hard as it is, remember that it isn't between you and her, it is about you and your fit with the programs you've chosen.  Since you've spent so much time preparing for this, hopefully you come across as someone who has thought long and hard about your future and planned accordingly.  There is some definite maturity in that which is something that is so important in grad school. 

Also, the truth is we dont know what is happening behind the scenes and we dont know what their subjective criteria is for admission.  You did your best...now it is up to them.

That's what I'm hoping for. I've been planning on doing this since the second year of my psych degree and have been super organized. A fellow student in my classes asked what I was doing after I got my psych and English degree and I said the MSW and she decided right then and there that she'd try that too. I was so mad considering this has always been my plan and she just decided this! I'll be pretty upset if she gets in and I don't because I basically gave her the idea :(

I feel a bit discouraged after hearing those numbers. My grades should be competitive and I'm a good writer, but my work experience isn't as strong as some of the things I've been hearing here.

The problem is that Canada just doesn't have enough schools. Too many qualified people are being turned away from MSW programs because of a lack of spots. I also think there are too many graduates who majored in fields that have few career opportunities and they start to look elsewhere.  The Canadian government should really cap the numbers on programs like philosophy or history or religion because there are too many unemployed and underemployed young graduates in Canada. In the past, these grads would apply to teachers college and become high school teachers. But with the severe job shortages for new teachers, I guess people are branching out and considering programs like social work, since schools are flexible about the undergraduate degree that you have.

I was so surpised that the one year BSW program I applied to as a backup got approximately 450 applications this year. That's crazy.

If I don't get into the MSW, I will be so disappointed.... 

Dhol999,

Which M.Ed. degree in counselling did you apply to? I recently submitted an application to this program but I always suspected that the job market isn't so strong. Where did you hear your information about employment? All I know is that in many provinces you need a B.Ed to work at a high school or elementary school. So if you don't have one that limits you to working at colleges and universities and most cities only have about 2-7 at most.

If I get in and I'm not accepted to an MSW, it will be a tough decision to make, that's for sure!

Wow! How do you know this? I guess its still way better than UofT or York's application rate.

I went to U of T's info session and they said that last year they accepted 140 to the 2yr program and 90 students to the 1yr.  I think York has the worst acceptance rate.

Edited by MSW13

MSW13, I must admit that I've been following your posts and want to say that I like your exposition on the admission process. All your post I've read on this topic and other topic are fair, frank and objective. I hope we all get one or two acceptances.

Hey everyone! I'm back again, still having just applied to U of C and York - money was too tight to apply to anywhere else (considered Windsor though, now I wish I had!!)

I wanted to wish everyone the best of luck and something caught my attention... Someone mentioned how people are jumping on the bandwagon of the MSW because they did social sciences and now they need something else, there's not enough schools, and so forth. My biggest ... issue, I guess, is that I was accepted into a MA in Child Studies, planning to focus on clinical trauma counselling, but I ultimately decided not to go after a deferral because my educational background is completely unrecognised by the vast majority of employers in this country. I really and truly wish the Child and Youth Workers were able to have a College/regulatory Body that we could register with. It is so frustrating (and I mean no offence to those with BSW backgrounds) that I am typically unable to apply for jobs when I have an excellent education and specialization in children's mental health, development, socio-economic systems, and so forth. And I mean, jobs that they state they are looking for BSW holders or even diploma holders. The people who have completed programs similar to mine are so frustrated that we constantly go unrecognised and viewed as having useless degrees when we are - academically at the least - more knowledgeable than those with social work in the areas of mental health, counselling, etc.

I know that taking a BSW does provide training in the same sort of areas, and I really don't mean to offend anyone, but I spent 4 years working my butt off, in a program that I loved and learnt so much, to be told that I am unqualified or that I should just go work in a day care! 

End Rant.

Sorry, I just feel that I am certainly going to be rejected again this year because no one takes our education seriously or feel that it's qualify worthy. (I do have a BA in social sciences, but my GPA is not very good. I also have 6 years of front line work with children, youth, and families)

Anyway, felt like I had to get that off my chest! I really hope the best for everyone and I'm cheering you all on!!

MSW13, I must admit that I've been following your posts and want to say that I like your exposition on the admission process. All your post I've read on this topic and other topic are fair, frank and objective. I hope we all get one or two acceptances.

Thank you so much for such positive feedback! Yes, I agree--I hope we all get some acceptances and our biggest worry is choosing which one to go with :)

I hear your frustration and I dont blame you.  In some ways, I've been there too.  What I came to realize is that there are so many glass ceilings in the workforce. You are constantly trying to get out from under them and it is awful when you see people who seem to have nothing but dumb luck going for them (or a slightly different degree) leap frogging ahead of you at every turn. It is easy to become bitter but what you are doing is great.  You are looking at your options and making thoughtful decisions about which one would work best for you in the future.  An MSW is amazingly versatile.  One thing is, may organizations are 'accredited' and part of this accreditation process is often having employees with a certain level of education.  Often an MSW will do it for many workplaces (ie/ hospitals, schools, government agencies). 

And also, before social workers had a regulatory body, I remember having the same type of frustrations as you do now.  Hang in there, it will all work out for the best...it always does :)

Hey everyone! I'm back again, still having just applied to U of C and York - money was too tight to apply to anywhere else (considered Windsor though, now I wish I had!!)

I wanted to wish everyone the best of luck and something caught my attention... Someone mentioned how people are jumping on the bandwagon of the MSW because they did social sciences and now they need something else, there's not enough schools, and so forth. My biggest ... issue, I guess, is that I was accepted into a MA in Child Studies, planning to focus on clinical trauma counselling, but I ultimately decided not to go after a deferral because my educational background is completely unrecognised by the vast majority of employers in this country. I really and truly wish the Child and Youth Workers were able to have a College/regulatory Body that we could register with. It is so frustrating (and I mean no offence to those with BSW backgrounds) that I am typically unable to apply for jobs when I have an excellent education and specialization in children's mental health, development, socio-economic systems, and so forth. And I mean, jobs that they state they are looking for BSW holders or even diploma holders. The people who have completed programs similar to mine are so frustrated that we constantly go unrecognised and viewed as having useless degrees when we are - academically at the least - more knowledgeable than those with social work in the areas of mental health, counselling, etc.

I know that taking a BSW does provide training in the same sort of areas, and I really don't mean to offend anyone, but I spent 4 years working my butt off, in a program that I loved and learnt so much, to be told that I am unqualified or that I should just go work in a day care! 

End Rant.

Sorry, I just feel that I am certainly going to be rejected again this year because no one takes our education seriously or feel that it's qualify worthy. (I do have a BA in social sciences, but my GPA is not very good. I also have 6 years of front line work with children, youth, and families)

Anyway, felt like I had to get that off my chest! I really hope the best for everyone and I'm cheering you all on!!

Pinsandneedles,

I wish you luck on the application process. It sounds like your undergraduate studies in child studies are very relevent to this field. I know that everyone says an MSW is the key to having more job prospects. But your post got me thinking... I wonder, though, if someone was a social worker by having a BSW and had an MA in a related area like counselling, child studies or something else along those lines, if that would make it equally easy to find employment later on. I mean technically you only need a BSW to be a social worker. But if companies are requesting a social worker with a Master's degree, do you think having a BSW and a master's in a related area would be considered the equivalent as someone with an MSW?

Really?  6 people from the cohort before mine made it into York, while only 3 made it into Laurier and 2 into UofT.

I went to U of T's info session and they said that last year they accepted 140 to the 2yr program and 90 students to the 1yr.  I think York has the worst acceptance rate.

Thanks!  My experience hmmm... I'm currently completing my BSW and have my SSW diploma too.  Cumulative GPA is in the A range.  As for experience I've had 1.5 years of paid employment at a social service agency, and four placements from school totaling to about 1500+ hours when I complete my last placement this spring.  I also did 2-3 years of volunteering.

Congratulations on being waitlisted! If you dont mind me asking, what kind of experience do you have? I'm also an advanced standing applicant and I am trying to get a handle on how I compare to other applicants. It has been a while since I graduated and I dont know a single soul who applied this year.  I didn't apply to Laurier but I'm anxiously waiting to hear back from U of T!

Pinsandneedles,

I wish you luck on the application process. It sounds like your undergraduate studies in child studies are very relevent to this field. I know that everyone says an MSW is the key to having more job prospects. But your post got me thinking... I wonder, though, if someone was a social worker by having a BSW and had an MA in a related area like counselling, child studies or something else along those lines, if that would make it equally easy to find employment later on. I mean technically you only need a BSW to be a social worker. But if companies are requesting a social worker with a Master's degree, do you think having a BSW and a master's in a related area would be considered the equivalent as someone with an MSW?

I have no idea, but that's an interesting thought! I doubt it, particularly in health care here in Alberta. I've applied to so many things and always turned down because I don't have a BSW. I also once did a major research project that was published and recommendations implemented in the community, applied for one of the positions for a service that was created and was turned down because I don't have a BSW - even though my name was on the project! I often wish I had just done the BSW when people told me that I should, but I also realize that I wouldn't have the education and experience that I have through my BChSt!

Hello everyone! I am new to this site. I have also applied to two MSW programs at UoT and Laurier, as well as counseling psych at UoT and couplae and family therapy at Guelph. I am getting pretty nervous about the whole process. Just wondering if anyone has hear anything back from Laurier or UoT for the 2 year programs? 

Yes I believe U of T takes in the highest number of students but percentage wise, it is still only around 25% of total applicants.  Really, all three schools are very competitive..

Really?  6 people from the cohort before mine made it into York, while only 3 made it into Laurier and 2 into UofT.

I think some people may have heard back from Laurier already but U of T will not be sending out 2yr acceptances until April. This is based both on U of T's website and what people have posted on the 'results page' in previous years.

Hello everyone! I am new to this site. I have also applied to two MSW programs at UoT and Laurier, as well as counseling psych at UoT and couplae and family therapy at Guelph. I am getting pretty nervous about the whole process. Just wondering if anyone has hear anything back from Laurier or UoT for the 2 year programs? 

Laurier has sent out their advanced standing acceptances but nothing on the 2 year yet.

In response to a few topics posts. I called Windsor and asked what the numbers looked like and thats what the admissions office told me. And as per the M.Ed counselling psych program I applyed in Lethbridge, it is my backup if the social work doesn't work out for me. I also applyed to 2 accelerated BSW programs. I will go to the USA to go the advanced options.

Oh, thanks for sharing! I completed my BSW over 10yrs ago and have been working in the field ever since. This waiting to find out is unreal. Sometimes I feel like I can barely wait another minute. Funny, I find weekends easier since I know that nothing is moving. But it is the weekdays that are difficult because I know they are making decisions as we speak.

I cant wait until decisions are made so I can get back to being 'normal' again! haha

Thanks!  My experience hmmm... I'm currently completing my BSW and have my SSW diploma too.  Cumulative GPA is in the A range.  As for experience I've had 1.5 years of paid employment at a social service agency, and four placements from school totaling to about 1500+ hours when I complete my last placement this spring.  I also did 2-3 years of volunteering.