Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2013 admissions

FH 2012

Hi MSW_CU, I can't say specifically what the GPA is, I wouldn't be surprised if someone got in with a B+, I think the experience definitely is a huge component of the application. 

As for foucaultmania, I think the MSW is popular in Canada because it's almost the only way to make a decent salary as a social worker, also opens up just about every door in the social work field - hospitals, school boards, private counselling etc. 

As AmyRebecca mentioned, an MSW allows you to be employed as a Social Worker in pretty much any sector of social services. With a BSW, it would be rare for you to find a job in a hospital or a school and it also prevents you from getting a senior management position.  Basically, you are limited in how far you can go and an MSW opens those doors.

Also, I believe that an MSW is popular because so many people gravitate towards it that have degrees in areas that in themselves dont offer many job prospects. For instance, a degree in psychology is great but unless you go on to the masters level, you cant do much with it.  At the University of Toronto, last year they received over 900 applications. At least 700 of those were for the 2yr stream. That gives you an idea of how many people are interested in social work after they have completed their primary degree.

The health and social services sector is very diverse and there are so many types of jobs you can get---but you need that MSW!  

Could anyone explain me why MSW is very popular in Canada?

Thanks for this tip!

I am so anxious to call them now because to my knowledge  I do meet min. requirements. The thing it could be is the Honours degree. I did my undergrad in the States where they have a different meaning for an Honours degree. I assume that York means a 4 year degree not a special Honours status as is known in the States. Perhaps they thought I hadn't completed an Honors degree because I may have checked the "no" box thinking it to be referring to the US definition.

Anyways, I will call them asap. I live in Asia so have to work the time zones a bit :)

Sorry to hear that! It sucks getting rejected, especially so early.  The same thing happened to me last year. I heard from York at the end of January (by mail). I hadn't been checking the online status because I didn't think I'd be hearing back so it might have been updated before I received the letter.  Anyways, it is my understanding that when you get a rejection so early, it is from the graduate admissions dept, not the social work dept. They screen the applications for minimum requirements and reject those that dont meet them. If you feel that your application was good and you met all requirements (ie/gpa) and had all of your documents submitted on time, you can always call and see why you were rejected so soon.  In my case, my gpa didn't make the cut.  However, I recall others getting rejected from York only to find out that they (York) had made a mistake. For instance, they miscalculated gpa. 

Good luck to you in your other applications!

Beth23,

Perhaps ABA therapy would be an option for you. The requirements probably vary from province to province, but if you like working with children, i would look into it. The training to become an ABA Therapist can be very short, such as 3 weeks, depending on what part of the country you live in and plan to work.

There are also a few 1 year programs at George Brown college which may be of interest to you. ex: Career and Work Counselling, and 2 other programs (dont know the specific names) but to work with autistic children or do psychological testing.

Good luck.

Hi everyone,

Just looked on Western's student centre and I have been accepted into the program! Very excited.

Only catch is that I have been accepted to part-time studies, and would much rather full-time. Hoping it was a mistake, but excited either way.

How exciting!! Congratulations!!! Was this your first choice?

Hi everyone,

Just looked on Western's student centre and I have been accepted into the program! Very excited.

Only catch is that I have been accepted to part-time studies, and would much rather full-time. Hoping it was a mistake, but excited either way.

A friend of mine who applied to the One-Year Advanced Standing MSW at Windsor just got her acceptance via e-mail, so hopefully they will be looking at the two year programs soon!

How exciting!! Congratulations!!! Was this your first choice?

Thank you!!! And no it isn't, leaning more towards Toronto or Ryerson, but I did my undergrad at Western and I like the city and the school very much, just looking for something new, I've always wanted to spend some time living in Toronto. 

Hi everyone,

Congrats!! Its not ideal but at least you have a very good option for next year.

Edited by Kae Kae

My status for Windsor has not changed too... :(

My status for Windsor finally changed!! My package has now been "Referred to Department". I am so excited. Flusty, check yours; maybe it changed too. I hope it did cuz this made my day.

If anyone has any questions about Laurier's 2 year MSW program, application process etc feel free to post them here and I will do my best to answer them

Hi, i have questions; did you apply esle where besides Laurier? What is your class size? and the ratio of the international students to the entire class

Only applied to Mcgill Qualifying year M.S.W. Daring or... :D

They said to check regularly and i do so everyday and other times more than once :ph34r: . Well, my application status still reads Ready for Review!..aaaarrgh

Has anybody heard from them? I think i should give them a call...,ok maybe not...

Just did and i got the voice mail :wacko: , its going to be a long weekend  

Have any Carleton applicants heard back yet? The last update mentioned that declines AND acceptances will be sent out by mid-february. And well.... Its almost mid-february!

Have any Carleton applicants heard back yet? The last update mentioned that declines AND acceptances will be sent out by mid-february. And well.... Its almost mid-february!

Hi! No, I haven't heard anything yet. Hoping they'll let us know by the end of next week. 

Hi all! I thought I'd join in on the conversation. I've only applied to York's MSW program (advanced standing), but from what I've heard, they are usually the last university to provide applicants with a decision (sigh).

Congrats to all those who have heard back with an acceptance already!

I look forward to following this thread. Hang in there, everyone! My fingers are crossed for all of us!

My status for Windsor finally changed!! My package has now been "Referred to Department". I am so excited. Flusty, check yours; maybe it changed too. I hope it did cuz this made my day.
That's weird that your status has only changed just recently. Mine was "referred to the department" a few days after I submitted it. Hopefully this means the process is moving along faster now!

Hi, i have questions; did you apply esle where besides Laurier? What is your class size? and the ratio of the international students to the entire class

I also applied to York (rejected) and the University of Calgary (accepted). There are about 86 in the two-year stream right now and I don't think we have any international students (although I could be wrong).

I also applied to York (rejected) and the University of Calgary (accepted). There are about 86 in the two-year stream right now and I don't think we have any international students (although I could be wrong).

Cool. Thanks