Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2013 admissions

FH 2012

JPCNAC,

You must have been an outstanding applicant to receive an acceptance so early. They knew you would end up being accepted in the end before reviewing all the other applications and ranking them. Congratulations.

Edited by jenste

Jaylnn,

I might be asking the obvious... but is it an option for you to apply to another Social Service program that begins in September? The deadline for Ontario colleges is Feb 1, so there is still a little bit of time to do so.

I could be in a similar situation if I am waitlisted as the bachelor of social work at Lakehead begins in the beginning of July... keeping my fingers crossed. 

Edited by jenste

Congrats jpcnac! 

I was curious, does anyone know about Social Service Work Programs? I realize college programs are nothing like graduate school but it would provide me with experience in an organization, which I really want. It was my back up if I don't get accepted to a Masters program right away and I just found out I got accepted to an accelerated program today but not sure what to do about it because it starts in May and we don't exactly here about M.S.W. decisions until April-ish. 

I think my grades are competitive (I've consistently been in the A range for the last two years) but I don't think I have enough experience in human service organizations...next to nothing. I volunteered for about a year at two organizations and one wasn't really social work relevant. But... I'm not very confident about getting in for some reason.. however, that might just be my nature. 

Ahhhh :blink:

I feel the same way!! I'm applying to Carleton's BSW program as my back up which is only 2 years and then I can get my MSW in one year so it's really only an extra year in the long run. I just feel bad for asking my references for ANOTHER letter...especially as my academic reference cut it so close to the deadline I'm not exactly sure what route to go with this application (see panicked post above). Either way you could consider these types of programs which most require payment deadline tomorrow (Feb. 1st) and the application due March 1st. 

Jaylnn,

I might be asking the obvious... but is it an option for you to apply to another Social Service program that begins in September? The deadline for Ontario colleges is Feb 1, so there is still a little bit of time to do so.

I could be in a similar situation if I am waitlisted as the bachelor of social work at Lakehead begins in the beginning of July... keeping my fingers crossed. 

I considered that but all programs that start in September are 2 years. Since it's an accelerated program (a 2 year program condensed into 1) I have to take an intensive two month semester in May and June. I don't want to enrol in a 2 year program because I want to try getting into a MSW program next year if I don't get any acceptances this year *sigh*

Beth23, i only recently found out about the 2 year BSW option and I was so disappointed when I did! Had I know that was an option I would've definitely tried to take that route but I've already spent so much money on other applications + spent 2 months bugging my references for letters. Also I'm in the final year of my bachelors degree and my semester is killer, I'm afraid trying to run around and find time to complete another application would be too stressful and affect my marks  :(

JPCNAC,

You must have been an outstanding applicant to receive an acceptance so early. They knew you would end up being accepted in the end before reviewing all the other applications and ranking them. Congratulations.

I think McMaster just goes through the process faster than other universities. I know someone who is currently in the program and received acceptance in January last year. Also I think the program is smaller than some of the larger and more popular programs discussed here. I am very excited to know I have somewhere to go in fall, I would also hope that all successful applicants to all programs are 'outstanding'.

Congrats jpcnac! 

I was curious, does anyone know about Social Service Work Programs? I realize college programs are nothing like graduate school but it would provide me with experience in an organization, which I really want. It was my back up if I don't get accepted to a Masters program right away and I just found out I got accepted to an accelerated program today but not sure what to do about it because it starts in May and we don't exactly here about M.S.W. decisions until April-ish. 

I think my grades are competitive (I've consistently been in the A range for the last two years) but I don't think I have enough experience in human service organizations...next to nothing. I volunteered for about a year at two organizations and one wasn't really social work relevant. But... I'm not very confident about getting in for some reason.. however, that might just be my nature. 

Ahhhh :blink:

I don't think going the SSW route would be the best choice. A one or two year BSW would be more advantageous and provide you with experience. Also because SSW is a para-profession the experience you get in that field will be at that level (not degree level social work). If you don't want to do more applications this year then maybe you should take the year off to volunteer at multiple organizations and seek social work- related employment either part time or full time. A lot of experience can be considered as "related" to social work and benefit your application.

Hello everyone.

I've been following along with the discussion here, but never really felt the need to contribute.

I am currently completing my BSW at Laurentian University. I applied to McMaster and York (Advanced Standing) for Fall 2013. 

Today I received acceptance to McMaster's program. I was shocked because I didn't expect to hear for while. I haven't seen a lot of other people talking about Mac, but I am definitely relieved to have heard back already. It will likely be awhile waiting for York now. Best of luck to everyone waiting it out!

Congrats! that's wonderful.... I can understand why they've been super fast at getting back to you as i think they don't run a 2 year MSW program for applicants from other disciplines....

Congrats! that's wonderful.... I can understand why they've been super fast at getting back to you as i think they don't run a 2 year MSW program for applicants from other disciplines....

The majority of schools in Ontario only offer MSW programs for BSW graduates (Lakehead, Laurentian, McMaster, Waterloo, Western, and Ryerson). 

Has anyone applied to the University of Calgary? Applications were due in December. No idea when we will hear back 

I applied and was accepted to U of C last year, I was notified in early March if I recall correctly.  I ended up getting a deferral until Sept. 2013, so beyond that I'm afraid I don't have much insight.

Hi Guys, 

I have applied to U of T and York U to their two year MSW programs. I have a GPA of 3.8 for my senior courses and a 3.4 subGPA. I have some paid research experience and I have been volunteering for the past few years. I am really nervous about my application, and have been checking my status everyday. I wish everyone the best of luck. 

I applied and was accepted to U of C last year, I was notified in early March if I recall correctly.  I ended up getting a deferral until Sept. 2013, so beyond that I'm afraid I don't have much insight.

Thanks that really helps. I know this question is a bit hard to answer, but what would you say is a good GPA to apply with? 

Hi Guys, 

I have applied to U of T and York U to their two year MSW programs. I have a GPA of 3.8 for my senior courses and a 3.4 subGPA. I have some paid research experience and I have been volunteering for the past few years. I am really nervous about my application, and have been checking my status everyday. I wish everyone the best of luck. 

Your situation sounds much like mine! Except you're about .1 ahead of me in terms of GPA. But I also have about a years worth of paid research experience and I've only volunteered for about year. Aside from that I have a lot of personal experience that I think might benefit me but I'm still not sure if I am a competitive applicant. 

Best of luck to you! :)

Just fyi to those applying to UofT.  Last year I had contacted them to ask what the going average was for those admitted to the program.  The answer I got: "high B+"  was the 'average'.  This of course means that you have many people admitted above and below that.  I presume that those with a weaker gpa get in due to strong experience etc. Also, people with A- averages have been waitlisted/rejected in the past.  I guess it boils down to how well you demonstrated your fit with the program.  For instance, if you say you're interested in AOP but they focus on research, you may not get admitted even though you have a killer gpa.

The good news is that we are now in Feb so we are inching closer to decisions!  Hang in there, guys.... :)  

Hi everyone!

I am just curious, I see a lot of posts concerning schools in the GTA, but has anyone on here applied to the MSW program at Carleton for the Fall 2013 intake? It is the only program I applied to this time around and I am anxiously awaiting the verdict on my application. I am hopeful that I put together a strong package; I have a GPA in the high B+ range, 5 years employment working part-time in a hospital, a little bit of volunteer experience working in a psychiatric hospital, and a little bit of volunteer experience answering crisis calls at the Distress Centre here in Ottawa (started in september). In addition, I touched on many themes of structural social work in my personal statement because I know that Carleton is really only looking for students who have a desire to practice structural social work.

Can anyone who has any experience with Carleton offer some insight into my chances of being accepted? I think I'm starting to freak myself out a little...

Cheers!

Hey MSW_CU, 
I am actually a Carleton (2 year) MSW student currently. I just checked my e-mail and I was accepted to Carleton on February 15th (my first contact/indication of acceptance was from Sue Brady - so look out for that name in your e-mail). 

I'm not sure what they are looking for or how they make their decisions - I can only offer a little bit about my experience. 
I had about 4-5 years of volunteering (3 different organizations), 2 years working full time as an addictions counsellor, I had an A- avg. in my last 2 years at University, and had completed an additional college program in addiction. 

I know that my cohort has a very wide range of interests/experience, which is why I can't offer more in terms of what they are looking for. 

I think if nothing else, the fact that you addressed the structural social work approach in your application will definitely help! 

If you have any other questions, please feel free to let me know, 

Has anyone applied to the University of Calgary? Applications were due in December. No idea when we will hear back 

I applied to Calgary for fall'13.  I know people who were accepted last year and they heard back around the middle of March.  I am not sure what the GPAs were of those accepted, although I do know one person who had a very high GPA and did not get in. I think experience is more important at U of C, but that is just me speculating.

Hey MSW_CU,

I am actually a Carleton (2 year) MSW student currently. I just checked my e-mail and I was accepted to Carleton on February 15th (my first contact/indication of acceptance was from Sue Brady - so look out for that name in your e-mail).

I'm not sure what they are looking for or how they make their decisions - I can only offer a little bit about my experience.

I had about 4-5 years of volunteering (3 different organizations), 2 years working full time as an addictions counsellor, I had an A- avg. in my last 2 years at University, and had completed an additional college program in addiction.

I know that my cohort has a very wide range of interests/experience, which is why I can't offer more in terms of what they are looking for.

I think if nothing else, the fact that you addressed the structural social work approach in your application will definitely help!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to let me know,

AmyRebecca, thank you very much for your candid reply! You really did have a lot of quality experience so I'm glad you got in. If you didn't, I really wouldn't know what to think right now.

Im hoping my five years in health care and personal statement will help curb my GPA. Fingers crossed!

Do you happen to know if anyone from your cohort was accepted with a B + ?

I considered that but all programs that start in September are 2 years. Since it's an accelerated program (a 2 year program condensed into 1) I have to take an intensive two month semester in May and June. I don't want to enrol in a 2 year program because I want to try getting into a MSW program next year if I don't get any acceptances this year *sigh*

Beth23, i only recently found out about the 2 year BSW option and I was so disappointed when I did! Had I know that was an option I would've definitely tried to take that route but I've already spent so much money on other applications + spent 2 months bugging my references for letters. Also I'm in the final year of my bachelors degree and my semester is killer, I'm afraid trying to run around and find time to complete another application would be too stressful and affect my marks  :(

A bit late jumping into this conversation lol...

I did a SSW diploma prior to pursuing my BSW (it was what I needed to get into advanced standing actually) and really enjoyed it.  I had two placement opportunities - yes they were not supervised by a social worker but I found the experience to be valuable nonetheless.  If you have the option of pursuing a post-degree BSW I would say go for that instead, though... with it you can practice as a social worker and get the hands on experience you want too.  Good luck!

For those of you waiting to hear from Laurier (2 year) I was accepted via mail on April 16, 2012 but I received an unofficial acceptance a week before via email ( I emailed them asking for an update). The rejections were sent out at the beginning of April as well as the acceptances with scholarships. Acceptances without scholarships were generally sent out mid April.

Hey all,

Been following these posts for awhile now. Nice to have some camaraderie! Sadly, for me, I have already been rejected :( 

York updated my status about a week ago to "unsuccessful". I was quite shocked to see something so early which made me feel pretty discouraged about my other apps out there. I have also applied to WLU, UofCalgary and Toronto. 

I wanted to share to let others of you know that no news is still good news at this point and to commiserate with others who were also already turned down.

Here's to the other applications!

Sorry to hear that! It sucks getting rejected, especially so early.  The same thing happened to me last year. I heard from York at the end of January (by mail). I hadn't been checking the online status because I didn't think I'd be hearing back so it might have been updated before I received the letter.  Anyways, it is my understanding that when you get a rejection so early, it is from the graduate admissions dept, not the social work dept. They screen the applications for minimum requirements and reject those that dont meet them. If you feel that your application was good and you met all requirements (ie/gpa) and had all of your documents submitted on time, you can always call and see why you were rejected so soon.  In my case, my gpa didn't make the cut.  However, I recall others getting rejected from York only to find out that they (York) had made a mistake. For instance, they miscalculated gpa. 

Good luck to you in your other applications!

Hey all,

Been following these posts for awhile now. Nice to have some camaraderie! Sadly, for me, I have already been rejected :(

York updated my status about a week ago to "unsuccessful". I was quite shocked to see something so early which made me feel pretty discouraged about my other apps out there. I have also applied to WLU, UofCalgary and Toronto. 

I wanted to share to let others of you know that no news is still good news at this point and to commiserate with others who were also already turned down.

Here's to the other applications!

Update from moi: 

I hate to admit it....but that's the beauty of this forum. I can tell you everything about my application process without feeling completely guilty and embarrassed! 

I didn't end up applying to Carleton for the post-degree BSW....

I'm half bummed out/half thinking it's a sign. I didn't have Internet connection on the application deadline and didn't go out of my way or freaked out enough to find a place to get it done. Clearly I wasn't whole-heartedly invested in the decision as I was for the MSW apps. 

So here's to those applications and hoping they make it through. I'm now looking at full time jobs in applicable fields since I'm banking on not getting in. (I like to keep my hopes high and my expectations low). 

Any advice on fields/areas to apply would be great! 

A bit late jumping into this conversation lol...

I did a SSW diploma prior to pursuing my BSW (it was what I needed to get into advanced standing actually) and really enjoyed it.  I had two placement opportunities - yes they were not supervised by a social worker but I found the experience to be valuable nonetheless.  If you have the option of pursuing a post-degree BSW I would say go for that instead, though... with it you can practice as a social worker and get the hands on experience you want too.  Good luck!

That was comforting, thank you!

My logic is that anything will look better than nothing and any program that offers a placement opportunity will help with expanding my network. 

It definitely shouldn't hurt my chances

Update from moi: 

I hate to admit it....but that's the beauty of this forum. I can tell you everything about my application process without feeling completely guilty and embarrassed! 

I didn't end up applying to Carleton for the post-degree BSW....

I'm half bummed out/half thinking it's a sign. I didn't have Internet connection on the application deadline and didn't go out of my way or freaked out enough to find a place to get it done. Clearly I wasn't whole-heartedly invested in the decision as I was for the MSW apps. 

So here's to those applications and hoping they make it through. I'm now looking at full time jobs in applicable fields since I'm banking on not getting in. (I like to keep my hopes high and my expectations low). 

Any advice on fields/areas to apply would be great! 

I’m unfortunately the same way. I would LOVE to get in obviously and I think my GPA is pretty good, but I am thinking that my volunteer experience won’t be enough. If anyone knows any employment like Beth said, or even volunteer experiences that would help me get in next year, please let me know! Right now I have doubts about getting in because the number of people who actually get accepted is so low. I’m trying not to get my hopes up and right now I’m looking for back up plans. I’m honestly such an organized person that if I don’t get in, it’s going to throw me right off so I’d like to have something to fall back to! It also makes it so much worse when the people you talk to about your worries always say, "your grades are good, you're going to get in!" That's why I love this forum because I feel like nobody else understands except those who are actually applying.